Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Plutonia but the enemies are multiplied by 100. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_V84yLfimI

The Archvile waterfall at 3:02 sent me into a laughing fit.

It honestly looks like it would be doable if you had a rocket launcher or BFG, so pretty much just your average slaughtermap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So on a whim because it was only five bucks on Steam I gave the 2000 AVP game a try and well I basically gave up on it after like 20 minutes, it honestly wasn't very fun to play on any of the three campaigns

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

It has its charms but you have to get used to it first, it was really impressive looking and had lots of interesting things not seen in FPS games for 1999 though so it's not quite as impressive now.
It's a bit sandbox like, the levels are linear but the maps are reused and weave around a bit to accommodate the alien being able to climb and the enemies are sort of just dropped into the map at certain set places at the start but then they can sort of wander around if they hear things.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Flannelette posted:

It has its charms but you have to get used to it first, it was really impressive looking and had lots of interesting things not seen in FPS games for 1999 though so it's not quite as impressive now.
It's a bit sandbox like, the levels are linear but the maps are reused and weave around a bit to accommodate the alien being able to climb and the enemies are sort of just dropped into the map at certain set places at the start but then they can sort of wander around if they hear things.

Good to know, in other news I just remembered I had Postal 2 in my Steam Library, is that one worth revisiting, or has it aged terribly?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
oooof, I played Postal2 totally blind to it maybe a decade ago, and man was it aged even then. I cannot imagine anyone recommending it, surely there are better ways to pee in first person.

edit: I also really enjoyed AvP, but I swear to god it looked better than that. Any other avp trailers don't have the right gameplay, but my mind's eye remembers something a hell of a lot more elegant/pretty than the 2000 version I see on steam. Maybe I played two versions and have blended them?

edit2: that's it! AvP (2000) and AvP2. I enjoyed the mechanics of the first more, but the second was far prettier and had a better story/campaign.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Apr 8, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Honestly I thought the 2010 game was actually pretty good

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
postal 2 has always been bad and time has just made it worse and it's so weird to me that it has a fan base

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

LOL I read Postal 2 as Portal 2 and I was like, WTF

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
AvP was amazing to my 15 year old self at the time, especially the Alien campaign. I've sort of not touched it since as it feels like one of those things that would not hold up to my memories.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I don't get it, why are people freaking out about a video of perfectly normal Plutonia? I did find it nice to finally see the second level, but it's not that special.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Postal 2 always struck as a very peculiar type of open world design (BotW reminds me a lot of it actually) where everything is crammed with consumable and duplicated stuff and there are all sorts of secrets and mechanics obviously hand placed and balance is just all over. If you are willing to grapple with a learning curve of both "how do I play this janky game" and "ok so does the fifth copy pasted house arbitrarily have good stuff in it" youre rewarded with a game that lets you run all over it and its attempt to push back mostly amount to congregating more hapless targets for your destruction. Its sort of half an FPS and half a very rudimentary survival game/immersive sim/walking simulator/opening period of a battle royal.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

AvP was amazing to my 15 year old self at the time, especially the Alien campaign. I've sort of not touched it since as it feels like one of those things that would not hold up to my memories.

It was amazing at the time if you come from something like quake 2 or JK2 or goldeneye or a build engine game and suddenly have really atmospheric lighting, the ability to run on any surface and be able to stick people's heads to walls. The game it self didn't have much structure it was just winding maps that were made to accommodate all the different characters movement and then they put a start point and an end and some different enemies/alien spawners in between and maybe a basic objective or a FMV screen to have the thinnest thread of a story. Very much the game held up by its graphics and variety of mechanics and difficulty.
This vid talks about it a bit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YERrs7FYkxo
Sort of an experimental game that's of its time.

drrockso20 posted:

The marine campaign was definitely good, like an updated avp2 marine campaign.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Apr 8, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The Elementalism MegaWAD is looking sick

Custom HUD

Impressive hub level

Another level

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

drrockso20 posted:

It suffers from being short and the Alien campaign being really underwhelming, but yeah it's not bad at all. Arguably has the best version of the Predator in the series, it's just a shame you're done playing him in like 3 hours tops.

I wish AVP2 could be rescued from rights hell, if only so a classic Monolith game can gets its due.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Age of Hell also looking good with some custom monster sprites.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Wow, both of those projects look fantastic!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm a little worried that Hell will trend too close to a slaughterwad for my liking though but we'll see.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

AVP2 was seriously fun as gently caress in mp when you weren't running into hackers or laggy as poo poo servers.

Evac mode best mode

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

AvP Gold blew me the gently caress away when it came out. Thinking about playing the Predator over MPlayer still gives me magical feels. I can definitely see how it could be hard to get into now, though.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

I was going to post the same. The MP isn’t super good with the chained executions, but the single player, albeit short, is pretty good and enjoyable. I didn’t play it until 2014 or so when I was stuck for a month with shotty internet and nothing local to really do. It was enjoyable for sure.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Convex posted:

Wow, both of those projects look fantastic!

I have an index of 'promising megawads' :

Interception II
Mapwich 2
The Age of Hell
Abandon
Elementalism
Refracted Reality
BTSX 3
Dissolution
Supplice
Dancin in the Abyss
Deus Vult 2 Second Edition
Sunder (new maps)

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Sunder seems like it's always growing. I remember the first version I played when it was deemed "the impossible slaughter wad" had 3 or 4 maps tops.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

Mordja posted:

Age of Hell also looking good

These look great, good sprite work is so rare

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Mordja posted:

I'm a little worried that Hell will trend too close to a slaughterwad for my liking though but we'll see.

It's run by Bridgeburner of Slaughter Spectrum fame so I'm pretty sure it's just gonna straight up be a slaughterwad.

Fortunately, slaughterwads are good.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
What IS the doom wad where you have to learn a new pictographic language to finish it?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Arivia posted:

What IS the doom wad where you have to learn a new pictographic language to finish it?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Turin Turambar posted:

I have an index of 'promising megawads' :

Interception II
Mapwich 2
The Age of Hell
Abandon
Elementalism
Refracted Reality
BTSX 3
Dissolution
Supplice
Dancin in the Abyss
Deus Vult 2 Second Edition
Sunder (new maps)

Cool, I didn't realise BTSX3 was still in development. Especially love the music in that project. I think esselfortium used to post in this thread? Don't remember seeing them for a while though :(

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah, me too. I really want to like AvP2000, especially since I have fond memories of sneaking around to play the demo as a kid, but actually playing it now it just does nothing for me. I wish AvP2 would get a re-release, from everything I've heard I think I'd like it, and I do like Monolith.

PostEldar
May 7, 2004

I'm in your area.
Hey, sorry to drive-by. Been playing a fuckload of quakespasm and love it. The old-school textures, sounds, fonts, etc. are all a big deal to me. Only needed single player until now, but I wanted to deathmatch with 3 other buddies for my birthday and am having a hell of a time getting multiplayer to work. With the caveat that I'm a huge idiot, what would be the best way to go about getting a simple multiplayer game going?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Convex posted:

Cool, I didn't realise BTSX3 was still in development. Especially love the music in that project. I think esselfortium used to post in this thread? Don't remember seeing them for a while though :(

Well, that one and Deus Vult 2 S.E. could come in 3 or 4 years, who knows :D
Last time the author posted a tease, it was on March 8th, so it's trucking along.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
The most impressive part of the original AvP is the insanely good explosion physics and the fact that (almost) all the lighting is dynamic and destructible.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

The in-game FMV was a cool novelty too. It was a very technologically advanced game for it's time.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
The map for AvP that was just a bunker in a ravine that you had to hold till you died owned.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

TTerrible posted:

The map for AvP that was just a bunker in a ravine that you had to hold till you died owned.

Yesssssss, that map ruled.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

I guess that maybe they were going to make it co-op multiplayer too if they could?
With some additional mechanics (repair/seal doors, turn on power, sentry guns etc) you would have had a alien horde co-op mode like Cod zombies in 1999. I wish Rebellion would go back to making these sort of experimental but fun games but they sort of stopped after the first sniper elite and then sniper elite 2 made them lots of money so kept doing that.
I just remembered in AVP99 how the marines could panic sometimes and start shooting wildly and hit their team mates or run away and the androids could have their arms knocked off and they'd switch to a pistol or do a longer one arm reload for their shotgun, lots of details in that game (like the 3d explosions and water physics mentioned above).

drrockso20 posted:

To be fair the Sniper Elite games are quite excellent, one of the most satisfying Nazi Murder Simulators I've ever played

It's good but after 3 games of shoot the nazi skeleton with mainstream sniping/stealth gameplay I feel they need to do something new and they are just doing more nazi zombies now anyway.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Apr 9, 2020

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Is there general agreement these days that AvP99/2000/Classic/Whatever is better than it's sequel? Almost everything about AvP2 other than the general quality of it's presentation felt worse to me.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

PostEldar posted:

Hey, sorry to drive-by. Been playing a fuckload of quakespasm and love it. The old-school textures, sounds, fonts, etc. are all a big deal to me. Only needed single player until now, but I wanted to deathmatch with 3 other buddies for my birthday and am having a hell of a time getting multiplayer to work. With the caveat that I'm a huge idiot, what would be the best way to go about getting a simple multiplayer game going?

Quakespasm will work for LAN but ezQuake is the top port for online quakeworld multiplay.

e; you could also try Mark V if you're interested in 4 player splitscreen. Mark V and Quakespasm are both Fitzquake forks and imo the best of the modern source ports, just not for multiplayer.

treat fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 9, 2020

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
The other question is whether your buds are on a local network with you, or whether they are elsewhere on the internet.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Flannelette posted:

I guess that maybe they were going to make it co-op multiplayer too if they could?
With some additional mechanics (repair/seal doors, turn on power, sentry guns etc) you would have had a alien horde co-op mode like Cod zombies in 1999. I wish Rebellion would go back to making these sort of experimental but fun games but they sort of stopped after the first sniper elite and then sniper elite 2 made them lots of money so kept doing that.
I just remembered in AVP99 how the marines could panic sometimes and start shooting wildly and hit their team mates or run away and the androids could have their arms knocked off and they'd switch to a pistol or do a longer one arm reload for their shotgun, lots of details in that game (like the 3d explosions and water physics mentioned above).

To be fair the Sniper Elite games are quite excellent, one of the most satisfying Nazi Murder Simulators I've ever played

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

SCheeseman posted:

Is there general agreement these days that AvP99/2000/Classic/Whatever is better than it's sequel? Almost everything about AvP2 other than the general quality of it's presentation felt worse to me.

Avp2 is probably better for having fleshed out multiplayer + scarier marine campaign and a story/scripting but lithtech looks worse in some ways and it feels more like a normal FPS of the time but people played the multiplayer to death.

drrockso20 posted:

It's good but after 3 games of shoot the nazi skeleton with mainstream sniping/stealth gameplay I feel they need to do something new and they are just doing more nazi zombies now anyway.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 9, 2020