Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Communist Thoughts posted:

Yeah I'm not sure how I'm gonna avoid infecting my partner or vice versa if one of us gets it. We only have one loo and kitchen.

Almost like home isolation is a bad idea.

No, it's a really good idea because you only infect your partner instead of the two of you infecting the entire loving cabinet like a certain moron of our mutual acquaintance.

E: 96 is the recommended position if you don't want to get coronavirus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

XMNN posted:

how busy is everything at the moment?

my friend's hospital is apparently still quieter than usual (presumably people aren't attending a+e unless they really have to) but he's in northern Ireland which seems to be a bit behind in terms of cases

It varies, I don't work in A&E or ITU so the wards I cover have less patients total but they're coming in much sicker and deteriorating much faster.

Algol Star posted:

I don't understand this at all, even if you arbitrarily classify CPR as safe at some point they're going to need to be intubated or have some breaths given if you're intending to keep them alive. Are they suggesting you start CPR without PPE and as soon as anaesthetics arrive pause for a minute to get changed? It doesn't even save any PPE, you're all going to need to wear full kit anyway at some point unless you just let them die.

Edit: this whole thing has never made sense anyway. Originally they said to just focus on chest compressions and ignore the breathing but since you're getting very little haemodynamic instability with covid the primary method of arrest is going to be hypoxia and if you're not going to give breaths (requires full PPE, technically NIV) then what is even the point of resuscitating them?

The idea is ward staff should start CPR in their crappy masks/aprons but don't do any airway management until the arrest team arrives in full PPE and takes over.

You're right, this is unlikely to save any lives especially in Covid patients because the primary cause of death is likely to be hypoxia.

BUT it neatly addresses the PR problem of medics saying we can't start CPR on anyone because we don't have the right kit. And if we have to spray deadly virus all around the ward to address a PR problem, we're drat well going to do it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Communist Thoughts posted:

Almost like home isolation is a bad idea.

As opposed to what? Where would you see this going if we didn't isolate?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

OwlFancier posted:

Grow your hair out and stop shaving, it's appropriate.

I have stopped shaving for the Covid even though it looks worse (for now), and there's no reason because my face shaver is working just as well as pre-Covid...

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gonzo McFee posted:

We won't really get a clear picture until it's all over and there's a vaccine. The number of people dying due to Covid will always be disputed to favour those who completely botched it. The lessons to take from this are that herd immunity strategy is killing exponentially more than everywhere else bar America who's whole strategy is doing nothing.

Think of how we can't get a clear estimate on the number of people killed in Iraq seventeen years on.

The UK American Partnership....of death

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nenonen posted:

Right, most houses still have just one kitchen

justcola posted:

Oop North is a funny one as no Northerner would say 'oop nawf', more like the 'u' in 'cup' or 'skull' (maybe southerners would say CAAAP or SKAAAL though?)
Do chickens in Lancashire say book instead of buk?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Rustybear posted:

They keep saying ultra-careful poo poo like 'he wasn't ventilated when I last spoke to him' etc. Also have you noticed how everything is done 'as a precaution'. Ventilated as a precaution, resuscitated as a precaution etc.

Boris Johnson has been declared dead as a precaution. A spokesperson said this was a precautionary measure and no conclusions should be drawn from it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jabby posted:

The idea is ward staff should start CPR in their crappy masks/aprons but don't do any airway management until the arrest team arrives in full PPE and takes over.

I'm wondering if the idea isn't that you stop doing CPR. Never mind that your professional ethics prevent it - remember that you are dealing with utterly unethical people here.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

josh04 posted:

Pollen count has rocketed in the last few days, I've been sleeping weird and popping more smints to keep my throat feeling a-okay.

Can I just say that this is one of the reasons I like this thread? Yeah, it's a good source of news/commentary/venting on current affairs, but also I'm sitting here wondering "why have I not been feeling as rested after sleeping what should be a good number of hours these past few nights? And why do I have a scratchy throat but no cough?" and someone pops up with the answer. A lot of knowledgeable/informed people here.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We're electing a new prime minister as a precaution, last any of us spoke to him he was doing fine in the hospital.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Morter posted:

As opposed to what? Where would you see this going if we didn't isolate?

China took thousands of people who tested positive from their homes to 'Covid hospitals', where they monitored their symptoms and made them do dance routines and other stuff they got mocked for on social media. That way they didn't infect their families and any deterioration in their condition was caught early.

This strategy worked really well because it prevented inter-household spread which is actually one of the biggest vectors of transmission. Even with our current advice, people living with sick people are still going out shopping, going to work, or they don't even know their relative is sick because they're both in the asymptomatic period.

It all hinged on mass screening with temperature checks though, along with a population that didn't argue too much when they were picked off the street and marched into an isolation ward.

Of course the west learned no lessons from this, and instead focused on falsely characterising China's response as a pure lockdown.

Jedit posted:

I'm wondering if the idea isn't that you stop doing CPR. Never mind that your professional ethics prevent it - remember that you are dealing with utterly unethical people here.

Most of us were pretty accepting of not doing CPR on patients with Covid, if the reason is that we might infect ourselves, our families, and our other patients. CPR has a terrible success rate anyway, and if you were planning on keeping those people alive they should have already been in ITU.

Of course it didn't sit that great ethically, but end of the day you have to protect yourself in a pandemic. But now just as we were getting used to that idea here comes PHE to say "do the CPR and put yourself at risk, or else".

jabby fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 8, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Or the quarantine hospitals as death camps.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

BalloonFish posted:

Can I just say that this is one of the reasons I like this thread? Yeah, it's a good source of news/commentary/venting on current affairs, but also I'm sitting here wondering "why have I not been feeling as rested after sleeping what should be a good number of hours these past few nights? And why do I have a scratchy throat but no cough?" and someone pops up with the answer. A lot of knowledgeable/informed people here.

I only know because my partner insists she doesn't have hayfever, so every time she sneezes I check the pollen.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jedit posted:

No, it's a really good idea because you only infect your partner instead of the two of you infecting the entire loving cabinet like a certain moron of our mutual acquaintance.

E: 96 is the recommended position if you don't want to get coronavirus.

yeah obvs its better than going out like our cabinet is doing

i just mean it does seem like the chinese case isolation thing is a lot more effective and that actually if you have it theres no guarantee your partner has it, at least early on

e to make it clear i mean isolating covid patients in dedicated wards instead of at home seems to stop the spread more effectively than keeping them home to infect their family

quote:

Even with our current advice, people living with sick people are still going out shopping, going to work, or they don't even know their relative is sick because they're both in the asymptomatic period.

drat yeah, hadn't considered that angle. thats gonna cause a hell of a load of spread

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 8, 2020

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

BalloonFish posted:

Indeed. I've only got it mildly, with itchy eyes and a sneeze, but because of this thread have just bought a supply of Cetirizine Dihydrochloride. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07G564KNQ/ a fiver for 8 months worth. I guess the only downside is they'll have expired before I get through them all.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
The only answer to hayfever is fexofenadine 180mg. Even then it only works for me 70% of the time. Absolutely dying today

:Edit: I was having the kenalog injection around may but the last time I went for it the doctor gave me a right talking to because other doctors had not explained the that there was no data on long term use. So she said that was the last one I was getting and to get on the fexofenadine. It was a shame because Kenalog is literally magic. I would turn up at the clinic just a pool of allergies and an hour after the injection I'd be running around inhaling flowers.

Aipsh fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 8, 2020

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i noticed that most of the UK studies the gov/BBC was using included "case isolation" as one of the assumed measures, i assumed this meant the chinese style isolation not home isolation.
anybody know if thats the case or not?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Sausage is living his best lockdown life

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Julio Cruz posted:

Sausage is a great name for a cat and he is also the best.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

RockyB posted:

Obligatory fortnightly supermarket trip report: Goddamn are those arrows on the floor annoying. More people going the wrong way than were actually following them.

Saw toilet paper in the wild for the first time in a month though.
Are you in London? The supermarkets I've been to in Sheffield have been almost totally normal in terms of stock for a while now. We went to Costco earlier and they had the usual mountains of toilet roll and other paper products, the only thing they were a bit low on was soap.

OwlFancier posted:

Grow your hair out and stop shaving, it's appropriate.
Yea I'm using this opportunity to see if my beard can ever get past the scraggly desert island survivor stage. So far I'm not optimistic.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Aidan_702 posted:

The only answer to hayfever is fexofenadine 180mg. Even then it only works for me 70% of the time. Absolutely dying today

:Edit: I was having the kenalog injection around may but the last time I went for it the doctor gave me a right talking to because other doctors had not explained the that there was no data on long term use. So she said that was the last one I was getting and to get on the fexofenadine. It was a shame because Kenalog is literally magic. I would turn up at the clinic just a pool of allergies and an hour after the injection I'd be running around inhaling flowers.
Have you considered walking barefoot in poo poo?
___________\

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

What is my best option for cooling an attic room with skylight windows, for up to let's say a couple hundred pounds? It is already starting to get summery as hell up there, so I should probably actually invest in something this year, and do it early.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

Sausage is a great name for a cat and he is also the best.

he didn't have a proper name for quite a while and when he got hit by a car last summer the vets asked my mum what he was called and she said "well I call him Sausage"

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Jippa posted:

Wouldn't someone from leeds say oop?

Nope, 'up'. The only people that'd say it like that are southerners and poo poo comedians doing terrible impressions. You might find someone form Lancashire saying it like that though.
Source: me. From Leeds and having endured 20 years of funny fuckers in London trying to do my accent.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What is my best option for cooling an attic room with skylight windows, for up to let's say a couple hundred pounds? It is already starting to get summery as hell up there, so I should probably actually invest in something this year, and do it early.

Does opening the windows not work? Especially if you open them and the door it should vent really well as you're well placed to catch the wind/suck air up from the ground floor.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Julio Cruz posted:

I thought Labour were nationalizing Sausage because of anti-semitism or some such? So do we all get to rub that tum?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mwar2YLS_s

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jippa posted:

I know I have already asked this but has anyone bought clippers for shaving their head? Any recommendations? Can you get away with spending £20-30?

NGL I'm glad that I dont have to worry about this given my patented look of 'slightly shorter Hagrid' (last got a haircut 4 years and a week ago since today is my 4th wedding anniversary).

I am going to try the full Karl Marx with my beard for the time being, though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Avoid the temptation of these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-mBeYC2KGc

Consider an exhaust fan, or just crack the window and have a tower fan.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Decent blackout curtains or window shutters across the windows - keep closed until after sundown.
Also, two desk fans in opposite parts of the room (unless you're in the market for full on AC)

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

Does opening the windows not work? Especially if you open them and the door it should vent really well as you're well placed to catch the wind/suck air up from the ground floor.

Nah, the room is just an insane heat sponge, I've literally opened both doors to the house and made a cold air tunnel that blew through the house and it was half useful at best. I'm thinking of the near 40 degree summer we had and I absolutely cannot do that again if we get a repeat.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I thought Labour were nationalizing Sausage because of anti-semitism or some such? So do we all get to rub that tum?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mwar2YLS_s

What would that do to our Pork Markets!?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If it's on the other side of your insulation barrier (i.e, if that's under the floor) then there's probably nothing you can do to efficiently regulate the temperature. But an exhaust fan might be your best bet.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Take clothes off - £0.00*

*assuming you stay within the confines of your private dwelling, fines for public indency may ensue otherwise

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Is there a summary of this 17 minute video berating what I believe to be my only air conditioning option? The entire west-facing wall of our flat is a giant window that spend all afternoon being heated by the sun, and the only openable window is about a foot wide. We're really fighting a losing battle trying to keep the inside of the place a livable temperature but if there's a better solution I'm all ears.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TACD posted:

Is there a summary of this 17 minute video berating what I believe to be my only air conditioning option? The entire west-facing wall of our flat is a giant window that spend all afternoon being heated by the sun, and the only openable window is about a foot wide. We're really fighting a losing battle trying to keep the inside of the place a livable temperature but if there's a better solution I'm all ears.

Air conditioners work by moving heat from one place to another. Evaporative coolers (the free standing ones) have nowhere to move the heat to, because they're not connected to anything, you can't "make cold"

If you want an air conditioner to work you need to 1. give it somewhere to put the heat, i.e outside. and 2. make sure the heat can't get back in again, i.e insulate.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 8, 2020

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

That video is very good and well worth watching, but as the video notes, portable AC units do have their uses. I have one and it's a lifesaver in a heatwave, when i need to actually sleep at night. I wouldn't consider it in the daytime though, when i can just stick my feet in a bucket of water. The AC is for Emergencies.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/RealKevinNash/status/1247784851203223558

We're so hosed even Big Sexy Kevin Nash is dunking on us.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

TACD posted:

The summary is: portable AC units suck compared with permanently installed or window-mounted units.

Which is true, but considering in the UK we have no pressing need for permanent installs and our windows don't typically suit mounting something on them, portable is all we got. They work, they're just inefficient and often noisy. But if you're only using it for a few days a year, just get one.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

TACD posted:

In your situation a portable AC unit would really struggle, i think. Even mine can struggle and we have a small window that faces west.

If i were you i would literally just cover the window in foil to reflect the light out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

In your situation a portable AC unit would really struggle, i think. Even mine can struggle and we have a small window that faces west.

If i were you i would literally just cover the window in foil to reflect the light out

An attic room with foil on the windows is going to solve your ventilation problems pretty quickly when the drugs squad kick your door in.