Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Data Graham posted:

Definitely true, especially in that it was the first laptop to really embrace the "as little bezel around the screen as physically possible" aesthetic. Really putting all its chips on the idea that big LCDs were here to stay no matter how expensive they were at the time to produce, and so a device that was "all screen" was inevitably the apotheosis of computer hardware design.

It's always kinda hilarious to look back and see the ways they kept doggedly trying to maintain some stylistic attachment between all their disparate industrial designs, like the translucent gray keyboard was their way of saying "this piece of hard-core test equipment is made by the same company that brough you the iMac :yayclod: "

It's also clear in hindsight that there was always an end ideal and goal with all of Apple's designs post-'96. In the Ti-Book--PowerBook G5--MBP continuity Apple got better at approximating and conveying the sense of "carved from a slab of metal" with each model until they could literally carve a laptop body from a slab of metal. And then for 13 years Apple hasn't seen a need to deviate from that, only refine. This year we brought the process we invented to more budget-oriented products....This year our tolerances are way better....This year we figured out how to make MBAs out of recycled aluminum instead of new....

With the iMac, again--the intent is clearly visible until you get to the moment where technology/money/manufacturing ability allow Apple to build their ideal device and then they're like "cool, this is what we think an iMac should look like" to the point where the iMac Pro has pretty extensive internal redesigns to keep the same external form factor.

With regard to Apple's translucent era-- I remember an interview with somebody connected to Apple design (I don't think it was Ive or anyone like that...it might've been a writer/evangelist in all honesty) who said that Apple pivoted away from that aesthetic because technological changes made it both redundant and, interestingly, "less satisfying" according to them. Putting a big clear bubble on the iMac was about creating the illusion of air and space where there otherwise would be a big plastic or metal case. LCD screens made that unnecessary. You didn't need to stick a window in your computer to give the illusion of lightness and smallness, you could just make the computer much lighter and smaller. Regarding it being "less satisfying"-- the person in the interview framed it like this: "the original iMac's guts were made visible because they could be made beautiful. You could make an aesthetically interesting CRT display. There's nothing beautiful or aesthetically interesting about the back of an LCD panel, so Apple very quickly decided to stop showing it off."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Which is funny because the original Bondi Blue iMac, you could barely see any of the innards, there was this big boxy shield around the monitor...

It wasn't until the multicolored ones when they were able to get rid of the shield and you could really see the gubbins.

Anyway, at least that rationale tracks nicely with the Luxo Lamp iMac, which I was in fuckin love with as a concept. It's kinda too bad that tech continued to evolve such that they no longer even needed to have a "base" and could just glue the whole computer to the back of the LCD. I was never as enamored with the modern "monitor-style" iMacs as I was with the desk lamp. Lightness and smallness, that thing had it..

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hop on the translucent bandwagon!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Hop on the translucent bandwagon!

Honestly, I’m glad Apple sued them for that abomination. God what a horrid computer in every single way.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Copycattery was my biggest peeve as a kid (I once wrote an angry letter to whatever company about Battletoads for jumping on the TMNT bandwagon lmao), so seeing the whole computer industry brazenly aping everything Apple did, and then slapping MICROSOFT WINDOWS and INTEL INSIDE stickers all over them like it's something to be proud of, it was more than I could bear

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I decided it might be fun to check out OS 9 on a machine of the era. So I bought a PowerBook G3, and having never owned one, didn't realize that the power adapter was different from the G4, despite the actual plug looking very similar. Oops.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I just wanted to buy computer accessories that were any color other than translucent white + color

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lol at the idea of being upset on behalf of giant companies

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In my defense Apple was in the poo poo at the time and always one misstep away from oblivion, consigning us all to whatever the hell tech would look like today without them

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

actually the world would be better if we were still using blackberries that had to be rebooted when they ran out of usable ram or at random. you can even get an app that reboots it for you!

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Steve_Jobs_Attempting_To_Use_Moto_Rokr.mp4.avi

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
2008 MBP still totally useable as a daily. Just the screen is a bit lacking in resolution. Gamut/contrast still looks good after a calibration. Even has a webcam for teleconferencing for WFH.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Last Chance posted:

actually the world would be better if we were still using blackberries that had to be rebooted when they ran out of usable ram or at random. you can even get an app that reboots it for you!

you joke but i desperately miss the trackball or scroll wheel. so much nicer for browsing long webpages or lists. i can take or leave a physical keyboard but imo the on-screen keyboards have gotten increasingly worse in iOS. i have to slow down typing now, especially on the ipad, because otherwise it will select whole words or lines of text, replace them with a random letter, and often prevent you from undoing its own error. it's extremely frustrating.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSgi2deRivc

(You can skip over the first half or so of the video as it's just generic 'this is how it differs' stuff)

Haven't put my order in yet, but anyone know if this is a widespread issue? What looked to be an obvious $100 upgrade path now looking like it has drawbacks at the least. I guess I'm already kinda used to my old rear end Air running fans and getting hot at times, but it would kinda suck for that to happen under loads that wouldn't cause the lower spec chip any issues. Possibility this will be worked out in a software fix (I'm sure that's happened before) or is it an inherent flaw of the chip and cooling system combination?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSgi2deRivc

(You can skip over the first half or so of the video as it's just generic 'this is how it differs' stuff)

Haven't put my order in yet, but anyone know if this is a widespread issue? What looked to be an obvious $100 upgrade path now looking like it has drawbacks at the least. I guess I'm already kinda used to my old rear end Air running fans and getting hot at times, but it would kinda suck for that to happen under loads that wouldn't cause the lower spec chip any issues. Possibility this will be worked out in a software fix (I'm sure that's happened before) or is it an inherent flaw of the chip and cooling system combination?

I'm not gonna watch yet another tech youtuber give his opinion on a laptop, just say what the problem supposedly is

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

also, have you tried repasting your air?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
It's the same thing we've already heard. The 2020 Air doesn't have great thermals, the i5 gets hot under load.

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 8, 2020

eames
May 9, 2009

mediaphage posted:

I'm not gonna watch yet another tech youtuber give his opinion on a laptop, just say what the problem supposedly is

I watched the last 30% so you don't have to!

The CPUs are thermally constrained, so the performance of the more expensive quadcore does not differ much from the dualcore under sustained load.

I would argue that the two extra cores are still useful for many workloads (i.e. photo editing, perhaps light compiling and VM use) but if you're buying any Macbook Air for its sustained CPU performance you are likely looking at the wrong tool for the job. All of this was discussed ITT a few pages back.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
The use case for an air is general productivity, don’t buy one if your routine work involves sustained load. Honestly you should be doing all that on the AWS or a node on your remote cluster anyways.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sorry I totally thought I summarized it but I must've deleted by mistake.

eames posted:

The CPUs are thermally constrained, so the performance of the more expensive quadcore does not differ much from the dualcore under sustained load.

Well the problem isn't that, which is expected, it's the fact it seems to be hitting 100f temps and getting absolutely hosed by things that the i3 doesn't seem to have issues with during regular rear end day to day stuff. I rolled my eyes when he brings up some of his examples, and I'm certainly not going to run loving Chrome of all things (and 4K YouTube videos), but if I'm just siting there with a few Safari tabs open and dicking about I don't need my laptop to be reacting worse than one that was cheaper. But yes, it's a YT guy who wants to make $ off his videos, which is why I'm asking here as I know people have received their units now and most plumped for the upgrade.

And I've had MBPs and MBAs before, so I know the use cases for both and I really don't need a Pro these days. I do some Lightroom editing every so often, but nothing crazy and if I can edit on a 4GB/2011 MBA I can't see that changing with the 2020 even with the Retina screen.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Zoom takes my dual core MBP to 150% and Chrome can eat all 16gigs of ram so maybe we all need monster machines to run lovely software at home :shrug:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The problem is there doesn't seem to be a heatpipe or whatever going from the fan to the CPU like there is on the pro:

13" Air (notice the fan on the left doesn't have a heat pipe going to the CPU in the middle)

13" Pro (this is a touchbar model so it has two fans, but still)

eames
May 9, 2009

I was going to write a rant about these trash tier, zero research clickbait youtube videos but it's not worth it.
Yes, as you pointed out playing a webm/VP9 4K video in Google Chrome with software decoding on a ultra protable laptop will likely spin the fans up. That's ok and so is 100°C CPU temperature according to Intel's spec.
I understand your concern if you trust these videos. Hopefuly the owner of a new MBA will be able to tell us their experience with the thermals.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
New 2020 MacBook Air owner here.

How can I help test this stuff? I've got the Intel Power Gadget.

I can say with 10000% certainty, Zoom is an unoptimized garbage software for OS X. Makes my MBA spin up its fans INSTANTLY and stay around 95-100C.

I'll only help if you guys can link me the best USB C dongle platform. I do NOT need ethernet. A couple USB and an HDMI port is all I need.

I'm guessing Satechi?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
The only “stress” I’ve put on mine thus far is a Snow Leopard VM. The fans spun up but it didn’t get hot and didn’t noticeably throttle.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Daniel Bryan posted:

The only “stress” I’ve put on mine thus far is a Snow Leopard VM. The fans spun up but it didn’t get hot and didn’t noticeably throttle.

What (I’m assuming) PPC Rosetta app are you still running in Snow Leopard?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

eames posted:

I was going to write a rant about these trash tier, zero research clickbait youtube videos but it's not worth it.
Yes, as you pointed out playing a webm/VP9 4K video in Google Chrome with software decoding on a ultra protable laptop will likely spin the fans up. That's ok and so is 100°C CPU temperature according to Intel's spec.
I understand your concern if you trust these videos. Hopefuly the owner of a new MBA will be able to tell us their experience with the thermals.

Yeah, that's why I posted it here because I don't trust sponsored videos to be telling the absolute truth. I knew people here had received their copies already, and if the general consensus was that it's being blown out of proportion as opposed to 'I wish I'd gone with the base model' then that's enough for me. I don't trust day 1 reactions to things as everyone rushes to the internet to say how great something is, when there are possible issues that can come out further down the line.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Captain Apollo posted:

I'll only help if you guys can link me the best USB C dongle platform. I do NOT need ethernet. A couple USB and an HDMI port is all I need.

I'm guessing Satechi?

Anker Uber Alles

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Anker usually has some USB-C dongles on sale on amazon that have USB ports, SD card reader and HDMI.

I have this one.

serebralassazin fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 8, 2020

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Man I was kinda tempted to get the Air because it seemed like a decent price for the spec I could get, but maybe I'll just wait for the new 13 Pro.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah, that's why I posted it here because I don't trust sponsored videos to be telling the absolute truth. I knew people here had received their copies already, and if the general consensus was that it's being blown out of proportion as opposed to 'I wish I'd gone with the base model' then that's enough for me. I don't trust day 1 reactions to things as everyone rushes to the internet to say how great something is, when there are possible issues that can come out further down the line.

Even in the most critical takes, I don’t think anybody’s been saying “don’t get the quad core version”. In fact they all seem to settle on the i5 16gb version with either 256 or 512 gb as the sweet spot.

It’s just that performance that initially seems to rival the current (quad core) 9th gen 13” MBP and beat it in graphics quickly seems to lose out over time. But by all accounts the quad core MBA falls between a dual core MBA and a quad core MBP, as one assumes it should.

I think people are pissed because there’s a sense that the computer could be better if Apple improved it (and possibly made it more expensive, but probably not by much), and that maybe Apple deliberately gimped it to keep the older MBP on top because the 14” model isn’t ready yet. But it’s performing exactly as it should in the lineup and it’s still like a twofold improvement over the old 2018 version. That said, maybe Apple adds a heat pipe to the 2021 version after they retire the 13” MBP and roll in a 14” replacement. Who knows.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Finally upgrading all my macs to 10.5. Most unsupported and running 10.3

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

drat I admire your dedication, let me know when you get to 10.6, which was released over a decade ago

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I've never looked at the inside of a 13" Retina MBP, these are swollen batteries right?

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
That's some serious bulge. What model is it?

Apple is doing a repair program on certain models: https://support.apple.com/13inch-macbookpro-battery-replacement

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
That’s swole.

Also, just did a clean install of 10.5.4 onto a 2008/2009 MBP using the patcher and it did the usual thing of asking to connect to WiFi which I skipped but when I got into the OS it connected to my home WiFi without asking for the pass phrase. Whut? How? Is the WiFi passpharse stored in non volatile somewhere? That seems risky.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Shaocaholica posted:

That’s swole.

Also, just did a clean install of 10.5.4 onto a 2008/2009 MBP using the patcher and it did the usual thing of asking to connect to WiFi which I skipped but when I got into the OS it connected to my home WiFi without asking for the pass phrase. Whut? How? Is the WiFi passpharse stored in non volatile somewhere? That seems risky.

I think it can be stored in the EFI or Recovery partition. It's encrypted though.

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 8, 2020

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I was pretty positive that was the case, but I wasn't sure if the batteries on these were slightly more, uh, cylindrical? It's a 13" 2013 MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Daniel Bryan posted:

I think it can be stored in the EFI or Recovery partition. It's encrypted though.

Can’t be the recovery partition I nuked the whole drive. If it’s encrypted how was the new os install able to get it? I guess I did use the same login/password as previously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I was pretty positive that was the case, but I wasn't sure if the batteries on these were slightly more, uh, cylindrical? It's a 13" 2013 MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

If it's not covered by any replacement programs, I'd schedule a battery service ASAP. I believe it's $199 for a new battery / topcase (which includes a new trackpad/keyboard)