Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

It makes me unhappy when people conflate the ancient Greek underworld with Christian Hell.

Hades wasn't evil, he just had a job to do.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Just doing my job.
          \

(yeah, I know that all of them were lovely, I'm just being cheeky)

Kennel has a new favorite as of 11:41 on Apr 8, 2020

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Although the Greek underworld was also pretty unpleasant depending on the source.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I thought it was just real gloomy, not lakes of fire and all that poo poo. There's a lot of places where it's cloudy all the time, I thought it was like that.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
So greek hell was scandinavia?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Paladinus posted:

You can always open a yarn shop.

Does anyone have that comic? It's not zip penis, but has a similar message.

This intrigues me.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I thought it was just real gloomy, not lakes of fire and all that poo poo. There's a lot of places where it's cloudy all the time, I thought it was like that.

Yeah no fire or any torment unless you did something to piss off a god a lot but otherwise there's just nothing to do but to reflect on your life forever.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Grevling posted:

Yeah no fire or any torment unless you did something to piss off a god a lot but otherwise there's just nothing to do but to reflect on your life forever.

I'd prefer the fire to be honest

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Winklebottom posted:

I'd prefer the fire to be honest
Yeah imagine reflecting on all those cringey things you said, forever

How is that not hell?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That was only for the little people. If you were a hero you got paradise.

Tartarus was the under-underworld where the evil suffered.

The Asphodel Meadows was the realm of the meh which was for the ordinary people to just kinda wander forever.

Elysium was for heroes and great people.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The Asphodel Meadows was the realm of the meh which was for the ordinary people to just kinda wander forever.

"But you, Achilles,/ There is not a man in the world more blest than you--/ There never has been, never will be one./ Time was, when you were alive, we Argives/ honored you as a god, and now down here, I see/ You Lord it over the dead in all your power./ So grieve no more at dying, great Achilles.’

I reassured the ghost, but he broke out protesting,/ ‘No winning words about death to me, shining Odysseus!/ By god, I’d rather slave on earth for another man--/ Some dirt-poor tenant farmer who scrapes to keep alive—than rule down here over all the breathless dead."

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Yeah, I thought there was something about people telling Odysseus how much the afterlife blows, but I can't remember why Achilles is stuck low key-suffering with the hoi polloi.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Grevling posted:

Hades: Yeah you’re fine it’s just a place to chill and think about your past.

Me: Ok do so do I just-

Hades: Remember when you asked out Becky?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah, I thought there was something about people telling Odysseus how much the afterlife blows, but I can't remember why Achilles is stuck low key-suffering with the hoi polloi.

Achilles in the Odyssey seems able to wander freely among the various realms of Hades; after he's done talking to Odysseus in the Meadows he fucks off back to Elysium.

Keep in mind, too, that when we talk about "Greek mythology" we're talking about a belief system that continued to evolve during the millennium-plus it was around (even if we don't know a whole lot about the versions that came before Homer).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Werewolf Jones doing his part for victims of Covid-19

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

om nom nom posted:

Does anyone have the context here? I saw it mentioned in the thread that this is something that the author said, but I couldn't find anything googling it.

The wrestler the middle Eastern looking girl idolizes in the comic is a real person who went by The Warrior. He was also a right winger who openly stated poo poo like "homosexuality will destroy the world", and presumably "fags and Muslims out of America".

Someone edited the original comic to just repeat that quote to show the irony of someone idolizing a racist that wanted them out of America.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Specifically, in response to the original comic being posted in the webcomics megathread back in 2014, ALFbrot posted:

quote:

gee, thanks for taking me to wrestlemania, dad! my favorite part was when ultimate warrior yelled "fags and muslims out of america" for eleven minutes

Then Cat Mattress edited it:

quote:

same

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I, too, have played Hades.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

sinburger posted:

The wrestler the middle Eastern looking girl idolizes in the comic is a real person who went by The Warrior. He was also a right winger who openly stated poo poo like "homosexuality will destroy the world", and presumably "fags and Muslims out of America".

Someone edited the original comic to just repeat that quote to show the irony of someone idolizing a racist that wanted them out of America.

Ohhh got it. I misunderstood, thinking the "fags and Muslims" thing was directed at the Zen pencils guy, not the wrestler. Thanks.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

LAUGH

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

LAFF

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

ChubbyChecker posted:

This intrigues me.

Took some very creative googling, but I've found it!

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
She really shouldn't be feeding her cat another cat.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Paladinus posted:

lmfao

bing bong so simple

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The basic needs (shelter, food, netflix)

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I used to be poor but then I made money and I’m much happier now.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator
Everyone is going to love visiting my "stoned guy in a bathrobe eating cheetos" store

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

drat horror queefs posted:

Everyone is going to love visiting my "stoned guy in a bathrobe eating cheetos" store

My bathrobe has a hood, in case you're hiring and need my qualifications

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I have zero real interests or ambitions in live.

I do like my job but it's just something to do and a a way to talk to people. Not something I ever had any dedications for.

True happiness is just sorta doing stuff which pays money and learning to be content with it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
How do I make money sitting on a beach reading a book?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
THE GOAL IS ULTIMATE HAPPINESS GAWD WHY ARE YOU SO DIFFICULT?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Silly Burrito posted:

That's easy. Be a billionaire and hire people to invest some of your money.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Silly Burrito posted:

Are you so stunning to look at that people would stare at you from a distance/pay for a photo of you?

Notice that I said "stunning" and not "pretty" or "attractive" or "pleasant to look at"

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

cant cook creole bream posted:

That's easy. Be a billionaire and hire people to invest some of your money.

Dammit, why didn't I think to be a billionaire before.

CzarChasm posted:

Are you so stunning to look at that people would stare at you from a distance/pay for a photo of you?

Notice that I said "stunning" and not "pretty" or "attractive" or "pleasant to look at"

I'm a goon, so take that for what it's worth.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Paladinus posted:

:tipshat:

It's even better than I imagined!

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

titties posted:

My bathrobe has a hood, in case you're hiring and need my qualifications

titties, you're loving in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Wait, is this a store where you get supplies to get stoned in your bathrobe and eat Cheetos, or a store where you get stoned guys in their bathrobes eating Cheetos?