Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000

euphronius posted:

trump “running to her left” isn’t why he won

her not running left was

but I guess that will also happen with Biden

pretty sure trump won (and will win again) because lots of americans hate gays + minorities, and love guns. very little else matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Drunkboxer posted:

150 saudi royals seems like a lot but I’m assuming there’s like eleventy billion of them

those are just the ones MBS had forgotten about and were still locked in a 5-star hotel from the last round of extortion

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Solarin posted:

That $1200 check that's in the mail will fix this

I need the $1200 because I just had to spent 1k for my greyhound Abby's dental work

She's doing very well now though!!

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Haze Thank Liberty posted:

There has been so much new information the last few days. Are we seriously still looking at next winter for any hope of real control over this?

Thanks god bless full communism now

Millions of Americans shot dead at the Mexican border trying to sneak in and get a BCG vaccination

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
NYC alone has the 6th highest number of deaths worldwide, rapidly gaining on the UK for fifth

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Zyme posted:

pretty sure trump won (and will win again) because lots of americans hate gays + minorities, and love guns. very little else matters

1.2m people in Texas showed up and stood in line for hours to vote for Trump. This year. In an unopposed primary.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Spoondick posted:

with all those obnoxious bernie bros banned i can finally talk about how ableist it is to criticize a candidate with cognitive disabilities without reprisal

sike, not all of us are dead! you will feel ashamed of your words and deeds

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

1.2m people in Texas showed up and stood in line for hours to vote for Trump. This year. In an unopposed primary.

isn't that more than the drat texas democratic primary lol

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Thats a lot!, maybe they are changing how they calculate things?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Drunkboxer posted:

150 saudi royals seems like a lot but I’m assuming there’s like eleventy billion of them

there's about 15000 of them

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Spoondick posted:

with all those obnoxious bernie bros banned i can finally talk about how ableist it is to criticize a candidate with cognitive disabilities without reprisal

bernie is dead, corbyn is dead, boris is dead, karen is dead, everybody is dead, may we have 1 000 years of beans & technocratic supremacy

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

2000 deaths today inshallah?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

dex_sda posted:

yes but the difference is that voting in dem neighborhoods is hard and voting in republican ones is easy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

dex_sda posted:

Exactly. To do nothing more than show performative loyalty to daddy.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

TODD BONZALEZ posted:

Everything sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t-gK-9EIq4&hd=1

U-DO Burger posted:

everything owns

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Zyme posted:

He's gonna go full strasserite anyday now!

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

yes but the difference is that voting in dem neighborhoods is hard and voting in republican ones is easy

okay, but it's still an unopposed primary vs a real honest to god contest lol

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Basic Poster posted:

Cocaine Mitch and his China family :bahgawd:

Seriously though. MAAD is actually a thing again. A lot of the last 50 years has been the US designing and deploying missile defense all over, and while the efficacy of such can and should be debated is seemingly negated now by Russia and China demonstrating hypersonic capable vehicles that can carry nuke warheads. This means that the ballistics c missile defense systems deployed literally all around the exterior of Russia and China don't mean Jack poo poo if your interceptors can't catch them. Lasers and rail guns are indeed a thing but don't really tip the scales in terms of nuclear deterrence...but hypersonic icbms sure as gently caress do.

The US has yet to solve the problem of hypersonic heat shielding and China and Russia have demonstrated that they have in both atmospheric and orbital re-entry contexts.

Every three or four months I remember that Donald Trump can unilaterally end all life on Earth in the span of about 20 minutes. I don't know if the order would be followed, or if it would be like (supposedly) the last days of the Nixon presidency when he was either passed out or blackout drunk and all his staff just ignored him.

it's great, imo.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

First banned for Basta, now for Bernie... Death by covid next??

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Thesaurus posted:

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Thesaurus posted:

the basta saga was amazing lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

dex_sda posted:

okay, but it's still an unopposed primary vs a real honest to god contest lol

they have polling locations inside the nursing homes where the republican base lives

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

Thesaurus posted:

same lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

dex_sda posted:

basta was the funniest thing on cspam

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Every three or four months I remember that Donald Trump can unilaterally end all life on Earth in the span of about 20 minutes. I don't know if the order would be followed, or if it would be like (supposedly) the last days of the Nixon presidency when he was either passed out or blackout drunk and all his staff just ignored him.

it's great, imo.

It's especially hosed up when you think about how Russia was in this situation and a lone person in charge of the big red button stood his ground and didn't push it while his higher-ups (who could have had him literally executed) were screaming at him to push it.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Shear Modulus posted:

Rogue Copter Pilot
Apr 12, 2005

a dead whale or a stove boat

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Thesaurus posted:

that is not the toxx i would have suggested next

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

dex_sda posted:

SJY stuck a pin in it way before it had played out. he hadn't even been accused/convicted of extorting Nike yet! what a waste

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Spergin Morlock posted:

gonna laugh when it turns out to actually be a bioweapon that accidentally escaped a lab. bonus points if it leaked from am American lab

This is actually a thing that happens with some coronaviruses.

Check this study out

Literally all of the participants developed colds but only 10-20% of them developed antibodies.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

time for a covid toxx thread where all the surviving posters get banned on 12/31/20

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

U-DO Burger posted:

that is not the toxx i would have suggested next

Not toxxing for covid death, just seems natural following the downfall of Basta and Bernard, our last great hopes

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Ban Me Already. I Am Not Afraid.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Thesaurus posted:

Basta Would Have Won

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

dex_sda posted:

it was hysterical

Zoodpipe
Jun 24, 2004

This is an important call. So, shut the fuck up.
Fallen Rib
My mother was a flight attendant for USAir / American - One of her friends who is still working sent her this video of the parking lot formerly known as the Pittsburgh International Airport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUZMl6KtfL4

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Shear Modulus posted:

lol how many toxxed for basta then reregged and toxxed for bernie

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Spergin Morlock posted:

SJY stuck a pin in it way before it had played out. he hadn't even been accused/convicted of extorting Nike yet! what a waste

yeah and plus he could still win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0282_article?deliveryName=USCDC_333-DM25287

quote:

Severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 is the causative agent of the 2019 novel coronavirus disease pandemic. Initial estimates of the early dynamics of the outbreak in Wuhan, China, suggested a doubling time of the number of infected persons of 6–7 days and a basic reproductive number (R0) of 2.2–2.7. We collected extensive individual case reports across China and estimated key epidemiologic parameters, including the incubation period. We then designed 2 mathematical modeling approaches to infer the outbreak dynamics in Wuhan by using high-resolution domestic travel and infection data. Results show that the doubling time early in the epidemic in Wuhan was 2.3–3.3 days. Assuming a serial interval of 6–9 days, we calculated a median R0 value of 5.7 (95% CI 3.8–8.9). We further show that active surveillance, contact tracing, quarantine, and early strong social distancing efforts are needed to stop transmission of the virus.

The R0 values we estimated have important implications for predicting the effects of pharmaceutical and nonpharmaceutical interventions. For example, the threshold for combined vaccine efficacy and herd immunity needed for disease extinction is calculated as 1 – 1/R0. At R0 = 2.2, this threshold is only 55%. But at R0 = 5.7, this threshold rises to 82% (i.e., >82% of the population has to be immune, through either vaccination or prior infection, to achieve herd immunity to stop transmission).