Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

To be fair to Stephen King, not one of the characters he ever wrote was as goofy as trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

quote:

If Ying Ying is pregnant, the gestation period for giant pandas ranges between 72 and 324 days.

:what: How is that even possible?

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Facebook Aunt posted:

My google search indicates 95-160, which is still real loving weird.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Pandas are one of those things that almost make me believe there’s a biblical god because there’s no way they’re not just one giant divine joke.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

They’ve done studies that’s shown that they could be an apex predator and eat meat. They chose not to and constantly eat bamboo all day every day which has little nutritional value and makes them poo poo all the drat time.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Cartoon Man posted:

They’ve done studies that’s shown that they could be an apex predator and eat meat. They chose not to and constantly eat bamboo all day every day which has little nutritional value and makes them poo poo all the drat time.

So they're actually a nadir predator!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pandas are the perfect example of how evolution doesn't create "the best creature." Whatever survives best in that specific environment is what evolves, even if it's total bullshit.

Pandas still have a carnivore's digestive system, and actually would function best on a common omnivorous bear diet. They need to eat such massive amounts of bamboo and laze around all day because they get so little nutrition from it. But they were the only creature in the bamboo forests eating bamboo, which exposed them to less individual risk than hunting or foraging for other edibles, so that's what they do now. Their tongues even disabled the umami flavor receptors so meat no longer tastes good to them, and they'll often ignore any food except bamboo even if they could survive on it.

That's why destruction of their habitats caused an unusual risk to pandas compared to other animals. They won't survive outside of their extremely specific niche, even if they biologically could do so.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Whatever survives best in that specific environment is what evolves, even if it's total bullshit.

It's not even "best in that specific environment" it's "good enough to reproduce"

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

And they suck at that too.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

Pandas are the perfect example of how evolution doesn't create "the best creature." Whatever survives best in that specific environment is what evolves, even if it's total bullshit.
Technically, not even that! There could be a set of adaptations that are, in fact, better for the species but partway between their current state and the better state is worse, so any random mutations which move them in the direction of the better thing don't help now, and in fact make it worse. So evolution won't make it cross the "Fitness Valley", even if getting to the other side would be better.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Zereth posted:

Technically, not even that! There could be a set of adaptations that are, in fact, better for the species but partway between their current state and the better state is worse, so any random mutations which move them in the direction of the better thing don't help now, and in fact make it worse. So evolution won't make it cross the "Fitness Valley", even if getting to the other side would be better.

*Looks at current presidential candidates*

Evolution kind of sucks.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Someone posted a video of an emergency vehicle playing it during this and I can't find it

e: it was an ambulance in DC

Milo and POTUS has a new favorite as of 23:40 on Apr 8, 2020

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Facebook Aunt posted:

https://nationalzoo.si.edu/animals/giant-panda-estrus-faqs

quote:

Panda gestation length ranges from 90 to 180 days, with an average pregnancy lasting 135 days. This wide variation in gestation occurs because the fertilized egg usually floats freely in the mother's uterus before it implants and begins developing.
Even their eggs are lazy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

chitoryu12 posted:

Pandas still have a carnivore's digestive system, and actually would function best on a common omnivorous bear diet. They need to eat such massive amounts of bamboo and laze around all day because they get so little nutrition from it. But they were the only creature in the bamboo forests eating bamboo, which exposed them to less individual risk than hunting or foraging for other edibles, so that's what they do now. Their tongues even disabled the umami flavor receptors so meat no longer tastes good to them, and they'll often ignore any food except bamboo even if they could survive on it.

That's why destruction of their habitats caused an unusual risk to pandas compared to other animals. They won't survive outside of their extremely specific niche, even if they biologically could do so.

And if you think that sounds ridiculous, koalas are even more ridiculous. Though I suppose you should expect that from Australian wildlife.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Pandas are dying out because they refuse to gently caress. Koalas are loving too much and they all have chlymidia.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

The Lone Badger posted:

Pandas are dying out because they refuse to gently caress. Koalas are loving too much and they all have chlymidia.

Koala's don't get it from loving. Babies eat the poop of their mother to get the gut bacteria needed to eat their diet and they get it that way.

Rysithusiku
Nov 10, 2013

Witness the assless man and despair!
All futures point to a world of filled holes.
Also fuckin.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Born in a treetop, raised in a pouch
Poopin and fuckin, for these I can vouch

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Krankenstyle posted:

Born in a treetop, raised in a pouch
Poopin and fuckin, for these I can vouch

This is exactly how they smell.

They're still cute, though. :3:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/couple-married-jailed-same-day-21837654

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

The Lone Badger posted:

They don't get hardly any nutrition from their food. Their teeth aren't really made for those leaves. They often die from starvation because their teeth get so worn down, they can't chew the leaves.
Also, the leaves are slightly narcotic, so they are loving stoned all goddamn day.

Pandas and Koalas are loving worthless, and we are better off without them.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Take this with a grain of salt since i read this on social media, but I also heard that koala's wont eat any eucalyptus leaves that arent from the small area they live in so koala sanctuaries have to ship in leaves from all over the country to feed the koalas they have.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Communist Zombie posted:

Take this with a grain of salt since i read this on social media, but I also heard that koala's wont eat any eucalyptus leaves that arent from the small area they live in so koala sanctuaries have to ship in leaves from all over the country to feed the koalas they have.

I've read something about koalas ignoring eucalyptus leaves on a plate, because they only recognize it as food when it's on a branch.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I hate these tiny bears

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Any time pandas or koalas come up everyone goes all eugenics. It's disturbing

MutantBlue
Jun 8, 2001

Instead of throwing car batteries into the ocean, let's throw koalas.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

MutantBlue posted:

Extremely difficult. Those little bastards cling.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

MutantBlue posted:

Just what the Great Barrier Reef needs, a chylamidia infection.

relax-o-vision
Feb 21, 2007
Another thing about koalas is that their pouches are on backwards. They have to clench their sphincter or else the baby will fall out.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

What the gently caress

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Another thing is that they're dumb and smell bad

e: wait that's not my monitor I've just been looking at the mirror the entire morning

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

EoinCannon posted:

Any time pandas or koalas come up everyone goes all eugenics. It's disturbing

i'm not saying that we should kill all the pandas and koalas, but I am saying that there are not many species out there that are as committed to becoming extinct and maybe it's for the best if we just let it happen instead of making a herculean effort to sustain the existence of a species that has forgotten how to both eat and gently caress

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Goons are already halfway to extinction

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

cock hero flux posted:

i'm not saying that we should kill all the pandas and koalas, but I am saying that there are not many species out there that are as committed to becoming extinct and maybe it's for the best if we just let it happen instead of making a herculean effort to sustain the existence of a species that has forgotten how to both eat and gently caress

Pandas aren't nearly as extinct as pop culture says, IIRC their zoo enclosures just weren't close enough to their real habitats to make them wanna gently caress.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

cock hero flux posted:

People really latched on to the idea that pandas don't reproduce much, but that was discredited years ago: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_panda#Reproduction

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The Lone Badger posted:

There was actually a large, stable community of koalas without chlamydia on an island just off Australia that researchers were using to help the species stabilize. The island was destroyed in the brush fires.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The Lone Badger posted:

Extremely difficult. Those little bastards cling.
Maybe we could swap it and throw car batteries into koalas?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Trick the koalas into clinging to car batteries, then throw both in the ocean

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There was actually a large, stable community of koalas without chlamydia on an island just off Australia that researchers were using to help the species stabilize. The island was destroyed in the brush fires.

How did the fire get an island? Did it start there separately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Beachcomber posted:

How did the fire get an island? Did it start there separately?

The island’s name is “Kangaroo Island”. No joke.

Multiple fires started from lightning strikes.

Zeus hates koalas.