Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I like how they're called Vegans because it makes me think it's an army of angry anti-meat enthusiasts with mobile suits that look like dragons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Some of the enemy mechs are cool. I like that they went for a different style and it's nice how it results in a gundam that's a mix of both side's aesthetics.

This is true

I watched all of AGE and now I'm a broken man. Coincidence? What do you think?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Some of the enemy mechs are cool. I like that they went for a different style and it's nice how it results in a gundam that's a mix of both side's aesthetics.

I quite like the Federation designs too, because the mass produced units like the Genoace and Adele have a chunky simplicity that I think looks great, while the Clanche adds enough complexity that it feels like an advancement without over-designing the unit and just making it look cluttered, which is kind of exemplified to me in the fact the "face" of the AGE Federation's mass production units is a simple, featureless visor. Later units change the features that surround that visor on the rest of the head so that it looks meaner and more advanced, but again, it never looks cluttered or anything. I like that the Vagan units tended to have a good mix of cool and goofy units too. Some Vagan designs like Zeydra and Ghiraga were pretty cool looking humanoid suits, others like the Xamdrag and Difurse were so stupid looking they became great and a few like the Wrozzo managed to be both cool and silly at once and are probably the best of the bunch for straddling that line so effectively. AGE had some outright bad designs mind, like the various Sid incarnations were just ugly and unimpressive black stick figures, but it had some great mechanical design at time regardless. Which is even more of an expected standard for a mecha franchise than the music really.

I also think it's a waste of a decent design for the Legilis that the character who apparently identified with and represented the ideals of both the Federation and Vagan didn't pilot the machine that was a mix of Federation and Vagan technology and aesthetics. There were so many problems with AGE's writing, and while Kio being a pacifistic moron is usually held up as the biggest issue, I don't even think he'd crack the top 5 of AGE's problems honestly. Most of the show's villains overstay their welcome so that the final big bad can only be introduced minutes before his defeat since there was no room for him in earlier episodes, robbing his defeat of any weight, the show has no thematic inconsistency, Asemu basically fades in to irrelevance for a lot of the show after his arc, the world building is almost non-existent and the generational aspect generally feels completely wasted.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 8, 2020

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Julias posted:

Is there going to be an official thread for it or are people just going to talk about it in here?

Previously we were just chatting about it in here.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Good AGE designs (IMO) :
Most of the Vagan suits
AGE 1 (in its MG interpretation)
Age 2 Dark Hound and Double Bullet
Adele
Clanche
Woolfs suits
The original CHUNK Age 3 design concept.
I also want to like the AGE FX, but it's a more generic 00Q p much.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Never forget.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
My only really problem with the Space Lemon is that it's "face" is so boring. It's literally just a spike. Which, simplistic works with some designs, but not on the Space Lemon. If it had a more personable face it'd probably be as goofily lovable as the Zakrello. Which it's obviously trying to ape the appeal of anyway.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

When life gives you a lemon, you space it

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
The best bit is the horn because it marks it as a Command Lemon

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the horn is used to hold an appropriately sized top hat in place. obviously.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

I quite like the Federation designs too, because the mass produced units like the Genoace and Adele have a chunky simplicity that I think looks great, while the Clanche adds enough complexity that it feels like an advancement without over-designing the unit and just making it look cluttered, which is kind of exemplified to me in the fact the "face" of the AGE Federation's mass production units is a simple, featureless visor. Later units change the features that surround that visor on the rest of the head so that it looks meaner and more advanced, but again, it never looks cluttered or anything. I like that the Vagan units tended to have a good mix of cool and goofy units too. Some Vagan designs like Zeydra and Ghiraga were pretty cool looking humanoid suits, others like the Xamdrag and Difurse were so stupid looking they became great and a few like the Wrozzo managed to be both cool and silly at once and are probably the best of the bunch for straddling that line so effectively. AGE had some outright bad designs mind, like the various Sid incarnations were just ugly and unimpressive black stick figures, but it had some great mechanical design at time regardless. Which is even more of an expected standard for a mecha franchise than the music really.

I also think it's a waste of a decent design for the Legilis that the character who apparently identified with and represented the ideals of both the Federation and Vagan didn't pilot the machine that was a mix of Federation and Vagan technology and aesthetics. There were so many problems with AGE's writing, and while Kio being a pacifistic moron is usually held up as the biggest issue, I don't even think he'd crack the top 5 of AGE's problems honestly. Most of the show's villains overstay their welcome so that the final big bad can only be introduced minutes before his defeat since there was no room for him in earlier episodes, robbing his defeat of any weight, the show has no thematic inconsistency, Asemu basically fades in to irrelevance for a lot of the show after his arc, the world building is almost non-existent and the generational aspect generally feels completely wasted.

Don't forget the sexism and the way the supporting cast vanishes after every generation so that things have to be built up all over again with the new set.

Seriously, Gundam's had issues with women off and on over the years, but it tends to have female characters be characters with motivations and arcs and influence on the plot and everything even when it's loving up every which way but loose. AGE (and I know I'm preaching to the choir here) makes the same mistakes as other Gundams, even giving Romary a full Nina moment, but it also fails to treat almost all of its female characters as characters rather than a way to make babies and/or cheap drama.

AGE fails even at really basic level narrative structure. It's no wonder it flopped hard.

As for designs... eh. I'm not so fond of the Vegan stuff, I admit. The more rounded organic lines don't work for me in that context. Speaking of mechs, though, that was another thing that stood out in Memories of Eden that was, presumably, less of a problem in the original. All the grunts showed up at once with no clear differences. They just shoot beams and die to named characters. You don't get Doms with skimmers or Gelgoogs as late war designs or something. You just get Genoaces, Adeles, and Shaldolls with no clear distinctions beyond looks. It's kind of awkward.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Pureauthor posted:

Never forget.

"This mobile suit design is.... UNACCEPTABLE!!!"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Pureauthor posted:

Never forget.

My friends and I always called this thing the Lemon Buttplug, because it is a lemon with arms attached to a spiky buttplug.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The Zakrello's distant relative.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
It remindes me of the grapplers ships from Outlaw Star. Now I want to rewatch Outlaw Star.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Argas posted:

The Zakrello's distant relative.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think the Zakrello is a more dignified mobile weapon.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Looks like BD-Rise2 starts off with a recap episode from Freddie's point of view from before the series starts leading to the end of the original season. Not really a fan of these but understand why they are needed after a long break. I do like that if you are completely new to the series you'd think that this is straight up star warsy scify which is complete 180 had you started watching last season where you'd think this was 100% a vrmmo going rogue.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Looks like BD-Rise2 starts off with a recap episode from Freddie's point of view from before the series starts leading to the end of the original season. Not really a fan of these but understand why they are needed after a long break. I do like that if you are completely new to the series you'd think that this is straight up star warsy scify which is complete 180 had you started watching last season where you'd think this was 100% a vrmmo going rogue.

I could have gone without seeing Generic McProtagonist again, but at least the new intro is a banger.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Hunter Noventa posted:

I could have gone without seeing Generic McProtagonist again, but at least the new intro is a banger.

I'm still of the opinion Hiroto's backstory does a lot to push him from Generic McProtagonist to someone who I'm actually convinced "yeah, this dude is an MMO player who burned the gently caress out."

He's the anime drama equivalent of someone who was in one of those world-first raiding guilds for a long time and it killed all enjoyment he had for the game. That's relatable to me. Excepting the whole "heartbroken over an AI" thing.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think he means series 1s generic mcprotagonist.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Warmachine posted:

I'm still of the opinion Hiroto's backstory does a lot to push him from Generic McProtagonist to someone who I'm actually convinced "yeah, this dude is an MMO player who burned the gently caress out."

He's the anime drama equivalent of someone who was in one of those world-first raiding guilds for a long time and it killed all enjoyment he had for the game. That's relatable to me. Excepting the whole "heartbroken over an AI" thing.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I think he means series 1s generic mcprotagonist.

Yeah, Hiroto is fine, Riku is so bland I couldn't finish the first series.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Clearly I haven't watched the new episode yet! Gonna go rectify that now.

edit: Yeah, ok. Anything with Riku in it in that episode was cringe. Was that the whole of the OG Build Divers? Because that was some George Lucas levels of bad emotional writing.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 9, 2020

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Warmachine posted:

Clearly I haven't watched the new episode yet! Gonna go rectify that now.

edit: Yeah, ok. Anything with Riku in it in that episode was cringe. Was that the whole of the OG Build Divers? Because that was some George Lucas levels of bad emotional writing.

Yeah, OG Build Divers was...just bad. Some hints of good ideas here and there, but then taken entirely the wrong direction, coupled with a pretty flat and boring cast.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

Don't forget the sexism and the way the supporting cast vanishes after every generation so that things have to be built up all over again with the new set.

The cast thing is basically what I meant when I said that it wasted the whole generational aspect of the story, yeah, because the male Asuno heir is the only descendant who matters. And, as flippant or insensitive as this may sound, I just don't think the sexism was one of the show's major issues. It was definitely an issue, but I was basically trying to list a top 5 (in no particular order) and the others are so structural that they undermine the entire premise and make the show outright terrible, while sexist writing can still at least be competent writing and create an entertaining, if problematic show. It definitely exists as an actual problem though, and I don't think a single female got to do anything cool or notable in the entire show.

Einus (god that name) in the third generation being a particularly disappointing example, because the new crew of the Diva is introduced as a group of troublemakers with individual quirks that make them less than ideal soldiers and they're led by someone with no confidence, and then nothing is done with any of them. Flit basically takes over as commander of the Diva, and the female captain just kind of sits there and repeats his orders while the doofy crew never really bond or come together to show why their individuality creates a better team than a group of normal but unremarkable soldiers. I also still can't believe that the mysterious girl Flit meets in the first generation has no relation to the mysterious enemy no-one knows anything about and really is just some random girl with no actual background of note.

Also reading back through my last post makes me realise I wrote "the show has no thematic inconsistency", which would be a compliment and not as I originally intended either "the show has no thematic consistency" or "the show is thematically inconsistent". Which...whoops.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

There's something really funny to me how Freddie was :swoon: from watching the adventures of the OG Build Divers. It's like seeing someone who just watched their first Gundam series, except then they tell you that they watched Destiny or AGE. Poor kid having to suffer through that, as well as distracting those One-Eyes when he still didn't know he could summon for help, made me like him even more.

Also fingers crossed that that's the extent of what we see of OG Build Divers in this season. We really don't need to see Riku or Sarah again.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I was fully prepared for the entire episode to be a clip show of the last season, so it was a pleasant surprise that most of it were scenes from Freddie's perspective. It's a nice reminder to viewers about what's at stake, and who are some of these supporting characters. And yeah, from Freddie's POV this whole thing does look like a star warsy sci-fi. It's like Galaxy Quest. :v:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tulalip Tulips posted:

It remindes me of the grapplers ships from Outlaw Star. Now I want to rewatch Outlaw Star.

You could watch Firefly and Serenity instead and yell at Joss Whedon for riffing on Outlaw Star wholesale with girls in boxes and ships lasso-ing each other in space battles.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

My favorite part of that episode was the equipment layout shot at the end of the OP. That's not to say I didn't enjoy the episode, it was really good as far as recaps go. I wasn't too sure about Freddy in S1 but I like him a lot more now.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

amigolupus posted:

We really don't need to see Riku or Sarah again.

We will absolutely see Sarah again. Too much emphasis on EL divers not to.

Riku is probably a toss-up. Though there's always the option for them to Kramer in like Kira Yamato.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I dont know about that because last season they went out of the way to maybe show a few of the previous cast but they sure as hell didnt even say single word.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Warmachine posted:

We will absolutely see Sarah again. Too much emphasis on EL divers not to.

Nah, that's exactly what May exists for.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Here's a neat little tidbit. I noticed that the characters in the screens that Freddie saw looked like they were actual words, so I took a stab at decoding them. It's actually a bunch of characters replacing the English alphabet. The image with the cast's names on it helped me figure out what most of the letters were, while the rest I managed to figure out using the other images.

COMMAND: LANGUAGE TUNING (Looks like this is why there's no language barrier)
OK CANCEL

STATUS: AWAITING RESPONSE (also includes the crew's in-game names, their real names, and what I assume to be their game ID)

INCARNATION SYSTEM STARTUP
ORGANIC LIFEFORMS:

The last one's the most interesting, and sounds pretty isekai. Maybe this system creates a physical body for their minds to inhabit? That might explain the comatose guy's deal from the last season.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

amigolupus posted:

INCARNATION SYSTEM STARTUP
ORGANIC LIFEFORMS:

The last one's the most interesting, and sounds pretty isekai. Maybe this system creates a physical body for their minds to inhabit? That might explain the comatose guy's deal from the last season.

I guess somebody liked “The Jaunt”.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
This is how to do a recap episode right. It gets the broad lines of the last season, while also providing plenty of new meat to keep things interesting.
The timeline is a bit more stretched out than I thought though.
Given that Freddie got hooked on anime in the early parts of Divers and there was a timeskip between the end of Divers and the start of Rerise, that means he's been going to the ruins for a few years, right?
And that's just counting the time after he booted the place up.

On a side-note, the universal translator combined with Freddie's fanboying explains what I thought was a ridiculous coincidence before.
Given how he's been using Build Divers as synonym for 'Creator/summoned savior', the translator may have just added it to its library.
Hence why the standard group name popup became Build Divers.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Freddie you're a good kid but you have terrible taste if you liked the original build divers

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
So! I just started watching my first Gundam series, Iron Blooded Orphans. Anyone have any opinions on it (spoilery or not)?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dog Kisser posted:

So! I just started watching my first Gundam series, Iron Blooded Orphans. Anyone have any opinions on it (spoilery or not)?

Aside from a character with some problematic relationships, it's one of the best AU Gundam series and well worth watching.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Dog Kisser posted:

Botches the landing in s01 and wobbles a bit in s02 but it's very good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemon-Lime posted:

Botches the landing in s01 and wobbles a bit in s02 but it's very good.

I really don't think that's a fair complaint about season 1, considering it's not even really a botched ending; It just very transparently swerves for one part in a way that's clearly from someone popping their head in to a meeting mid-writing and saying "oh, hey, you got another season after all". Getting a second season is never a guarantee for a show and murdering ALL the secondary characters doesn't leave you a lot to build on for a followup. It could've been better executed, but it's better than getting a pair of Lyle Delandy's.

Season 2 definitely does wobble a bit though, but it makes up for it by the end in spades.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Dog Kisser posted:

pretty good show that one lovely character kind of ruins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Well the only other mecha shows I've seen were Eureka 7 (Holy variable quality Batman) and Gargantua on the Verdant Planet (which sold me with the twist even though I didn't love the beam spam) and so far I find I largely like the cast. Even the Mysterious Quiet Loner MC is pretty interesting, if only because he's so non chalant about just executing prisoners. I definitely feel like this is one of those situations where there's tons of cliches and tropes I'm missing because of my lack of experience, but I'm digging it.