Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

jabby posted:

It varies, I don't work in A&E or ITU so the wards I cover have less patients total but they're coming in much sicker and deteriorating much faster.

The idea is ward staff should start CPR in their crappy masks/aprons but don't do any airway management until the arrest team arrives in full PPE and takes over.

You're right, this is unlikely to save any lives especially in Covid patients because the primary cause of death is likely to be hypoxia.

BUT it neatly addresses the PR problem of medics saying we can't start CPR on anyone because we don't have the right kit. And if we have to spray deadly virus all around the ward to address a PR problem, we're drat well going to do it.

Paediatrics seems to be a different world from adults atm. My last set of nights were the quietest shifts i've done in my career. 4 inpatients, and about 3 kids attending over 3 nights. We offered to cover all the medical paediatric stuff coming through A+E but they said they've barely had any to even warrant us stepping in.

Even adults hasn't seemed insane. Being in the north-east I wonder if we've just had longer to get our poo poo together than London has, so maybe social distancing, less overcrowding and better prepared hospitals have helped.

As it stands we're following the resus council guidelines for children's resuscitation. Thankfully we've not had this come up as an issue yet, but we've been told that strictly speaking, if a child goes into cardiac arrest we've to leave them and put on aerosol generating procedure PPE. The practicalities and emotive nature of this means its unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jabby posted:

If you're using air con daily for four months a year, it might be worth looking at having a split unit professionally installed. It would be more expensive than £600 for a duel-hose portable, but a lot more efficient/quiet/effective/convenient/space-saving/etc.
The actual split system ACs are fairly cheap, it's the installation that's the costly bit.

Also with splits you'll need to have someone service them every few years to make sure they aren't spewing refrigerant everywhere.

Sash windows have come back into fashion on the UPVC circuit, so a third option (where structurally possible) is to get a window fitted that'll take a window unit. They've got a sealed self contained refrigerant loop like the portable ones but are almost as efficient as the splits.

CGI Stardust posted:

noted big-brain boy Brendan, for Spiked. thought I'd catch up with what he was saying about the pandemic, and here we are

https://www.spiked-online.com/2020/04/06/the-class-hatred-behind-karen-bashing/
*demands to see the manager of Spiked, is taken to a room where a failed trotskyist is wallowing in a paddling pool of Koch money*

quote:

In this sense, it is the female equivalent of ‘gammon’
Usually said about someone who is being racist? I agree.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Everything I've heard about Johnson's condition is from Tories, so I assume he's still dying, it can take a few days

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Cabbit posted:

Isn't a living martyr an oxymoron

gently caress me that's why it's gonna happen isn't it
Yeah, I have a couple of old acquaintances on social media who turned into hardcore Tories, and they've been loving rending their garments the last couple of days for poor brave lion boris, he got sick because he was working so hard for the British people, fighting to save us all, oh, dear noble boris, be strong and come back to us, the country needs you now more than ever.

Just mad poo poo that would have been used as Exhibit A of the Cult of Corbynism if it was us saying it about him. Not even exaggerating:

If he's genuinely on the mend he might finally have solved old Tory backstabbing problem when he recovers, because whichever minister tries it on him will be torn limb from limb by the membership.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I think bojo will survive, but he will be personally seen as a weak leader and will probably be forced to take the fall for the government killing x4 as many people as Germany

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also the longer he's on a vent the less likely he is to come off it, afaik.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

CGI Stardust posted:

‘It is the peculiar quality of a fool to perceive the faults of others and forget his own’, said Cicero. This is so true of the woke bourgeoise who bang on endlessly about ‘Karens’. You know Karens: they’re the busybody, always-complaining, helmet-haired women who stalk the nightmares of sophisticated middle-class people, especially the right-on millennial middle classes. These people are constantly making memes of Karens, showing culturally and sartorially inferior women asking for the manager and generally making a fuss about everything. Which is hilariously ironic given that ‘Karen’-like behaviour – snitching to management, trying to get people sacked, moaning endlessly about every inconvenience – is the stock-in-trade of woke millennials. These Karen-bashers are the biggest Karens of all.

I mean a lot of the "trying to get people sacked" is for people doing poo poo like sexual harassment. I don't know a single "Millennial" who treats retail workers as anything other than hard working folks, which is a rather large gap in the whole "Oh they are just the same" argument.

Also I think one of the cruelest things about Covid is you get better briefly before passing away. It's like the whole radiation poisoning bit of Chernobyl.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

What is my best option for cooling an attic room with skylight windows, for up to let's say a couple hundred pounds? It is already starting to get summery as hell up there, so I should probably actually invest in something this year, and do it early.

I'd say go the opposite way and just make it hot as gently caress. I used to have an attic room that would get up to 40 degrees some days, it was like a sweat lodge.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Also the longer he's on a vent the less likely he is to come off it, afaik.

He’s not on a vent, is he?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oodles posted:

He’s not on a vent, is he?

We don't know, but we can hope.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol https://twitter.com/setoacnna/status/1247926250431303682?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's actually very racist, sexist, and classist for Ann Karen to be laughing at mumsnet.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

If your bum is squeaking it is already too late

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Making me sign up for premium?! Where do i go to tell the internet i am pure fumin babes about this :mad: :mad: :cry: :cry:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

crispix posted:

i am pure fumin babes

Is that what you do instead of vaccinating them?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
when's the Mumsnet Patreon launching

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
lol just lol if you think bojo is even ill.

The lazy fat oval office hid when it got to the tricky bit where everyone's pissed off with lockdown but the graphs still look scary. Got a bit overzealous nudging the turps while "self-isolating". Right now probably a bunch of junior ministers trying to keep him away from the cab sauv, while some stressed out junior doctor gives him IV fluids and Berocca. Now when his melted Stretch Armstrong looking carcass comes shuffling out of hosital he'll be loving bulletproof and nobody'll bother asking questions along the lines of "where's the loving ppe?" and "where's the loving tests?" and "are you actually for-reals shagging Kuenssberg?" because for some inexplicable reason this mashed potato golem is now the bravest man in history for wilfully contracting a disease that projections suggest 80% of the planet are gonna have to chomp on at some point whether they like it or not. Oh bwah fwah was a bit bally well um bwah fwah ill dontcherknow, therefore I bwah fwah don't want to answer any of yer questions, hum hum bwah fwah coof back to bwah fwah hum hum work you loving bally old peasants toodle pip honk honk.

loving wank.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

namesake posted:

That's pretty much 100% what the ForwardMomentum reorganisation/rebrand is going to wind up doing, although they won't just be helping people they'll be helping 'the left' so it'll be campaign support and participation rather than volunteer charity work.

That's the opposite of what I think we should be doing though.

People are sick of campaigns and promises. They don't trust the left to deliver on anything. As much as I don't think volunteering and charity work are the way to solve systemic problems (that needs a decent government) we need to demonstrate to people that we actually give a poo poo about improving things. Open and run food banks. Organise community assistance schemes. Go shopping for old people. Anything that we can attach the Momentum/Labour brand to that makes it obvious we don't just want power.

If all momentum want to do is signal-boost campaigns that's fine, but they did it all through the election and it didn't amount to anything.

jabby fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 8, 2020

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Julio Cruz posted:

when's the Mumsnet Patreon launching

Matreon

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

jabby posted:

People are sick of campaigns and promises. They don't trust the left to deliver on anything. As much as I don't think volunteering and charity work are the way to solve systemic problems (that needs a decent government) we need to demonstrate to people that we actually give a poo poo about improving things. If all momentum want to do is signal-boost campaigns that's fine, but they did it all through the election and it didn't amount to anything.

totally agree with your last couple posts about momentum

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

:kiss:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

jabby posted:

People are sick of campaigns and promises. They don't trust the left to deliver on anything. As much as I don't think volunteering and charity work are the way to solve systemic problems (that needs a decent government) we need to demonstrate to people that we actually give a poo poo about improving things. Open and run food banks. Organise community assistance schemes. Go shopping for old people. Anything that we can attach the Momentum/Labour brand to that makes it obvious we don't just want power.

If all momentum want to do is signal-boost campaigns that's fine, but they did it all through the election and it didn't amount to anything.

Agreed on this. If this is what it starts developing in to, I think it'd be good to join.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Bobstar posted:

Sunak:

"That has actually influenced some of the design choices we’ve made.

That means some people might fall between through the cracks, it means people are saying, ‘Can you not do it this way, can you include us?’, and the reason we’ve not been able to do that is to protect against exactly that, exactly the risk of fraud or spurious claims that we won’t be able to verify.

So I’m confident the decisions we’ve made will minimise the risk of fraud."

Rage. No words. Just rage.

Edit for words: I don't think this is even saying the quiet part loud anymore. Literally "no we're not helping you in case someone gets away with something" :argh:

Came here to quote Sunak with that, like they can't see the last tax returns over x years honest folk have done. It's all loving 'sorry can't help you, done all I can' when it's obvious they [i[can[/i] help they choose not to, loving snake bastards.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

jabby posted:

I don't think this will work either - those elements are just too small and local in nature to lead to systematic change or mass opinion shifts, which is what leads to the most good in the end. Honestly, I'd say we need to double down on spreading those kind of messages and campaigns at the 20's and below demographics - get ideas lodged there firmly before establishment media catches up on bringing that group into the failed neoliberial consensus.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I don't think this will work either - those elements are just too small and local in nature to lead to systematic change or mass opinion shifts, which is what leads to the most good in the end. Honestly, I'd say we need to double down on spreading those kind of messages and campaigns at the 20's and below demographics - get ideas lodged there firmly before establishment media catches up on bringing that group into the failed neoliberial consensus.

The thing is I think that we have methods of getting that out there anyway. It's called trying to live and help others. Getting the message out should be one aspect, but we've seen how much good "messaging" does in 2019. Instead a basis should be on practice as well as theory.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Josef bugman posted:

The thing is I think that we have methods of getting that out there anyway. It's called trying to live and help others. Getting the message out should be one aspect, but we've seen how much good "messaging" does in 2019. Instead a basis should be on practice as well as theory.

we did see boris and cummings absolutely obliterate labour after labour failed on messaging and they dominated it

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
today Morrisons had every single Easter egg on BOGOF

even the massive ones the size of a human head

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

jabby posted:

The thing is that that approach is just a transactional service where you do nice things and then hope to have an emotional sense of obligation from the voter at the critical moment. Yeah you might well get some votes but a persuasive hostile media campaign about how your manifesto can't be done in reality or a targeted tax cut can just take that away again.

The difference isn't just boost electoral campaigns, it's connecting electoral work to power in the community. Fixing little things for people now doesn't have any real emotional relationship to promises to fix much larger things tomorrow unless the public feel a part of it and feel powerful because of it. You can't just exist as a do gooder party and say 'I fixed your gate so you can trust me to fix the railways.' because the scale doesn't connect unless there's a deeper sense of achievement and potential futures - 'You didn't think we could stop your eviction but together we did it! So we can actually create a world where housing is available to everyone!'

It's a very different and more powerful way of mobilising people and it's harder to shake because attacks against the manifesto become attacks against THEIR achievements.

namesake fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 8, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Julio Cruz posted:

today Morrisons had every single Easter egg on BOGOF

even the massive ones the size of a human head

Easter clearance is always fun. There's likely to be pallets and pallets of the stuff left over with the lockdown.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Josef bugman posted:

Doing good things is good, But...

Think how popular you local council social service department is. Now think how popular it would be, if it had 0.1% of the budget, no permanent trained staff, and plenty of enemies with every reason to find and broadcast faults.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

namesake posted:

The thing is that that approach is just a transactional service where you do nice things and then hope to have an emotional sense of obligation from the voter at the critical moment. Yeah you might well get some votes but a persuasive hostile media campaign about how your manifesto can't be done in reality or a targeted tax cut can just take that away again.

The difference isn't just boost electoral campaigns, it's connecting electoral work to power in the community. Fixing little things for people now doesn't have any real emotional relationship to promises to fix much larger things tomorrow unless the public feel a part of it and feel powerful because of it. You can't just exist as a do gooder party and say 'I fixed your gate so you can trust me to fix the railways.' because the scale doesn't connect unless there's a deeper sense of acheivement and potential futures - 'You didn't think we could stop your eviction but together we did it! So we can actually create a world where housing is available to everyone!'

It's a very different and more powerful way of mobilising people and it's harder to shake because attacks against the manifesto become attacks against THEIR acheivements.

Also the issue with doing things for people is a lot of people are ungrateful shits and that's why they vote tory.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
For what it's worth, my local food bank is run by Lib Dems, and they make no mention of that fact anywhere, they do it because it's needed.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
They make no mention because if your charity has party political affiliations it is not eligible for tax breaks.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Eh, Hamas of all parties managed to win an election that most of the regional powers that be were trying to rig against them by making sure people got food and medicine. Performing community service where the government can't and won't help is pretty effective.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

we did see boris and cummings absolutely obliterate labour after labour failed on messaging and they dominated it

I think that the problem last time was just the sheer accumulation of bad press. I think doing local things helps more because there is both no-one person to blame and it instinctively helps to build a state within a state in case of difficulties.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Azza Bamboo posted:

They make no mention because if your charity has party political affiliations it is not eligible for tax breaks.

That's a thought, not sure if they're a charity as such, they're not on the charity commission site anyway, at least not under what I'd expect.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

Also the issue with doing things for people is a lot of people are ungrateful shits and that's why they vote tory.

In one of our local covid support groups where people are doing a lot of good work getting shopping, prescriptions etc for those unable to do it themselves, there's been a whole thread today on people proudly saying how they clapped for Boris last night.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
have a Jonathan Freeland article in which he presents something incredibly obvious to anyone with half a brain as if it's new and profound information, because he's just realised it

Coronavirus crisis has transformed our view of what’s important posted:

After 100 days of rapid change we now see we can do without celebrities but not shelf-stackers

“There are decades where nothing happens; and there are weeks where decades happen.”

So said Vladimir Ilyich Lenin of the ferment of revolution, but he could just as easily have been talking about the 100 days that have passed since the moment coronavirus officially became a global phenomenon, the day China reported the new contagion to the World Health Organization.

The world has been transformed in that time, perhaps nowhere more so than Britain.

A hundred days ago, on 31 December, the UK prime minister delivered a video message full of hope and promise.

The coming year would, he said, be a “fantastic” one, the start of “an exhilarating decade of growth, prosperity and opportunity”. In 2020, he enthused, Britain would brim with “confidence”.

The early weeks suggested the PM might be right on one count at least. After three and a half years of rancour over Brexit, some of the poison began to drain out of the issue. Of course, it wasn’t “done”, as Johnson promised it would be, but it seemed as if we might dwell on lesser worries.

We saw in 2020 debating Megxit, a country with no greater angst on its mind than whether the Sussexes should carry on royalling.

On 31 January, the UK formally left the European Union. This new coronavirus was low down on the bulletins, safely tagged as foreign news.

Even by early March, it had not quite bared its teeth. People knew the official advice but weren’t sure quite how seriously they were meant to take it. Those politicians involved in public health messaging might attempt an awkward elbow bump at the start of a meeting, only to end it with a handshake or even a bear hug.

Johnson himself, at a press conference on 3 March, cheerfully boasted that he was still shaking hands with people he met – including, he said, people infected with coronavirus.

And yet, after a couple of those weeks in which decades happen, on 23 March Johnson was delivering a TV address to the nation, announcing a lockdown in what might have been a hackneyed scene from dystopian fiction.
The pubs were closed, along with the football grounds and the cinemas and the theatres and the schools. Places that normally throb with noise were suddenly quiet and have remained so.

You can jog through Leicester Square, London, a place normally teeming with tourists, and hear nothing more than the flapping of a distant flag.

Two weeks on from that original edict and now the death toll is in the thousands with the prime minister himself in intensive care, a development that shook people who did not expect to be shaken. Decades, in weeks.

This is a story of change so rapid, we can barely absorb it.

People focus on the questions that are human scale and therefore digestible – how long is the queue outside the supermarket? Do I need to wash vegetables if they’re wrapped in plastic? Can I walk in a park if everyone else is walking in the same park? – perhaps because the larger questions are too big to take in, including the largest of all: is this plague going to kill someone I love? Will it kill me?

This is the greatest UK public health crisis in a century. It threatens a death toll in five figures. It dwarfs any such menace since the Spanish flu afflicted a nation already staggering from the losses of the first world war. Perhaps it will come to seem like an act of God that none of us could have done anything about, a plague on all our houses that could not be averted.

Or maybe a future public inquiry will examine the fact that doctors and nurses were denied basic protective equipment, that care workers were forced to use bin liners for aprons and Marigolds for gloves, along with the paucity of ventilators and, above all, Britain’s apparent inability to follow the WHO’s instruction to “test, test, test”, and conclude that the UK response to Covid-19 ranks as one of the severest failures of public administration in the country’s long history.

That makes this a political crisis.

“They were very slow. They didn’t understand the scale of this,” says one senior figure, who has witnessed the government’s response close up. He says those at the top were “blase”, that emergency Cobra meetings were nothing like the efficient coordination exercises that have followed terror attacks, but “chaotic”, lacking “decisiveness”.

As for the PM, “I was surprised at how not in control Johnson appeared to be.” There was a lack of comparative data on how other countries were responding, a lack of thinking strategically or several moves ahead. Put simply, he says, the government was “winging it”.

The cabinet has looked callow in this period, lacking the seasoned faces of cabinets past. Dominic Raab, Rishi Sunak, Matt Hancock: they don’t have that many years on the clock.

Every time a Michael Heseltine or Gordon Brown comes on the radio, social media brims with nostalgia for the heavyweights of yore.

It’s one reason why the weekend just gone seemed to calm nerves. On Saturday, Labour elected a new leader who looked competent and capable. That brought one sigh of relief. Sunday brought another, as the country heard from its longest-serving public figure, its head of state.

The Queen’s ability to reassure rests on her status as monarch, of course, but also on her extraordinary longevity at the centre of our national life. As she reminded viewers of her TV address that night – a vanishingly rare event in itself – she has been communicating with Britons at moments of distress for an astonishing 80 years.

She recalled broadcasting to child evacuees in 1940, thereby summoning up the mystic power of the event which serves as the foundation story of modern Britain – the moment when we stood alone against an evil menace, and prevailed. Her promise that “we will meet again”, at once a glance back to the wartime past and a glimpse of a more hopeful future, will be remembered as one of the most significant – because necessary – acts of her 68-year reign.

Had the weekend ended that way, a calm might have settled on the land. As one observer noticed, the Queen’s message, along with Starmer’s election, suggested the scaffolding of the British state was being hoisted back into place.

But the calm lasted less than an hour, the nerves jangling once more with the news that the PM had been taken to hospital – proof that even the most protected individual in the country, a Falstaffian figure of hale and hearty vigour, was not beyond the claw of this dreaded virus.

Even so, despite the fear and the loneliness and the claustrophobia and the economic hardship of lockdown, few would say the country has sunk into despair.

Privately, our lives have been pared down to their barest essentials: no sport, no live entertainment, no nights out – just work, for those who still have it, family and remote contact with friends.

The work has changed – all laptops, pyjamas and Zoom for those who once toiled in offices – while family life has changed too, becoming much more concentrated and intense.

For some, that has been an unexpected joy; for others, it has been suffocating and even dangerous.

But our public life has also been stripped to its essentials. We’ve come to see what’s indispensable and what is not.

It turns out that we can function without celebrities or star athletes, but we really cannot function without nurses, doctors, care workers, delivery drivers, the stackers of supermarket shelves or, perhaps unexpectedly, good neighbours.

If you didn’t value those people before – some of those belatedly recognised as key workers are among the lowest paid – you surely value them now. In a new tradition, we emerge from our homes and start clapping every Thursday night at 8pm to make sure they know.

Almost everything the prime minister predicted a hundred days ago has failed to come true: 2020 will not be a year of growth or prosperity, but the very opposite. And yet, on one thing he was right. Somehow, we have left the widest rift of recent years behind.

Leave or remain now feels like an ancient divide, made suddenly irrelevant when the only distinction that matters is alive or dead.
garbage

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

HJB posted:

That's a thought, not sure if they're a charity as such, they're not on the charity commission site anyway, at least not under what I'd expect.

There's another form of charitable organisation besides registered charity but for the life of me I can't remember what it is called! Community something or other. But I can't google it because I don't know what to google LOL

Ed: "Community Interest Company"

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ultimately for all the platitudes about how people didn't realise what was really essential, I don't think it's going to change. Because people don't want to grapple with actually understanding what essential work means. They don't want to think the world is maintained by people who work for basic subsistence, they certainly don't want to deal with any of the consequences of empowering or even rewarding those people appropriately.

So you'll get claps. And absolutely nothing else. And the clapping will serve exactly the same function as those articles do. As something for people who sit atop the labour of others, to do to make themselves feel good. It is performative appreciation as a vehicle for making the appreciator feel better about themselves, and to diffuse any responsibility they might feel to do anything meaningful. Two minutes on a couple of thursdays to clap and demonstrate your wokeness. That's what the foundation of society is worth.