Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Son of Man posted:

Hell you're probably right. We treat animals really lovely. I have two dogs on three acres and even that's probably like prison to a wild animal

uh, dogs are domesticated animals. what are you even saying here? do you have foxes and wolves that you call dogs while winking overtly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/denverpost/status/1247908457191178241

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

MoaM posted:

do not toxx for covid anymore, too much money 2 lowtax

*General Election

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

I've said it before, but I don't know how most of my industry is going to come back from this.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science
my parents cat had a coughing fit this morning lol

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
they already deleted it and came back even stronger
https://twitter.com/DiamondandSilk/status/1247951797571981314

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Son of Man posted:

Hell you're probably right. We treat animals really lovely. I have two dogs on three acres and even that's probably like prison to a wild animal

I feel awful for my cats in my apartment even. They show the slightest signs of being bored and I play with them until they fall asleep. I rotate out toys to keep it interesting and they have special toys we play with on their schedule. I do, or did, go camping often and made sure they were all hooked up prior. My cats never knock things off the counter because they are never bored but one will attack a painting to get my attention and the other will SCREAM for cuddling, so I guess they do their own bs

We had a dog when I was a child and my parents didn't do right by it in my eyes even though it was treated like a queen compared to the dogs in this neighborhood. We also had 3 or 4 acres, I don't remember exactly, and some of it was forested

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

Pfft, that's nothing until we cross the 1.5m diarrhea super killer threshold

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Tei posted:

the political system is the only way to effect change in the world. it sucks but is how things works

Your country literally only exists due to violently fighting the government at the time.

For a more recent political change that only happened due to violent protest, see Stonewall and gay rights.

Also 9/11.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

uh, dogs are domesticated animals. what are you even saying here? do you have foxes and wolves that you call dogs while winking overtly?

This is what's actually happening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0aK-_d8ZL0

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY

old beast lunatic posted:

they’re all loving stupid. every single trump voter is dumb as gently caress. so it’s worse than demons from hell. lol

This is literally Hillary Clinton thinking so...

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

facetoucher cat posted:

I feel awful for my cats in my apartment even. They show the slightest signs of being bored and I play with them until they fall asleep. I rotate out toys to keep it interesting and they have special toys we play with on their schedule. I do, or did, go camping often and made sure they were all hooked up prior. My cats never knock things off the counter because they are never bored but one will attack a painting to get my attention and the other will SCREAM for cuddling, so I guess they do their own bs

We had a dog when I was a child and my parents didn't do right by it in my eyes even though it was treated like a queen compared to the dogs in this neighborhood. We also had 3 or 4 acres, I don't remember exactly, and some of it was forested

All yall talking about how bad having dogs or cats are better be vegan or else lmao

Petting my dog while eating a pulled pork sandwich,

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Quetzadilla posted:

This is literally Hillary Clinton thinking so...

it's true doe, unfortunately

chip away is the only way.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Son of Man posted:

??? Dogs have been domesticated for literal thousands of years. They are bred to hang out with people and do the things that people want done. Even the herd guardian dogs who aren't spending time with humans have a job and don't just hang around.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

diamond and silk are garbage so I hope they try to take a stand and never get unbanned

edit: gently caress

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

You mean hemp oil doesn't live up to the hype?

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/TechCrunch/status/1247954660696166404

gently caress landlords

Also the airb&b logo is just a stupid bent paperclip

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

All yall talking about how bad having dogs or cats are better be vegan or else lmao

Petting my dog while eating a pulled pork sandwich,

You better give them some

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Thanks. Perfect timing - I really needed that after the news of Charlotte Figi's death.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
Puppy dog eyes intensifies when eating

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

facetoucher cat posted:

https://twitter.com/TechCrunch/status/1247954660696166404

gently caress landlords

Also the airb&b logo is just a stupid bent paperclip

I wish governments would start to ban AirBnB type poo poo now that we have datapoints showing that they screw up rental prices and availability, but I'm guessing companies like this just bribe people into letting them do stuff with their vast wealth

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

facetoucher cat posted:

You better give them some

The joke is that pigs are smarter than dogs and I think all the people that think they are hardcore animal lovers but eat animal products are clowns

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

wow much nicer cgi than im used to

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I'm thinking about whether to reschedule a doctor's appointment in a week. I called and asked if it'd be safer to reschedule, and they told me if the doctor thinks it's best to reschedule, then she'll do that and call me, and I can reschedule, but it's entirely up to me. My mom wants me to reschedule for as late as possible and the local news thinks it's going to peak here in late April. I'm going to call back and reschedule for mid-July

edit: I mean "Data compiled by the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation shows Tennessee will see the most cases of COVID-19 in late April."

galenanorth has issued a correction as of 20:52 on Apr 8, 2020

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

galenanorth posted:

the local news thinks it's going to peak here in late April

OPEN FOR BUSINESS BY EASTER EVERYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNEE

:eyepop:

Morbus
May 18, 2004

So apart from R0 probably being much higher than originally thought, I think there is increasing evidence that the true CFR is much closer to that of SARS-CoV-1

Estimating CFR as cases/deaths has the obvious problems that new cases are growing exponentially every day, while deaths only come from the much smaller population that were infected days or weeks earlier. The most accurate way to estimate CFR is to just look at a huge, random population of people who become infected, and count how many die vs. the total. Early in the pandemic this was difficult, since there wasn't a huge sample size of people who had gotten sick, and either recovered or died (at least not outside of Wuhan); most people who were infected had not yet run the course of their illness. Plus, early in the pandemic, you had a lot of "early mortality" as the most susceptible people died quickly, potentially skewing CFR estimates.

However, by now, we have hundreds of thousands of cases across the world where someone got sick, and either died, or recovered. Looking at this large sample of cases which have fully resolved (one way or the other), the CFR from deaths/(deaths+recovered) has been >20% for weeks. China is an obvious exception, but it isn't inconceivable that they tried to downplay the severity of the disease. And not to be a conspiracy theorist or anything but their deaths/total CFR was also ~20% as of mid Feb until it became a conspicuously smooth and monotonic decreasing curve to ~4%. South Korea is also an outlier, though.

Obviously, many more people are getting sick than are ever counted as confirmed cases--the so-called asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic carriers. So the true number of total cases is higher than the counted number, which would bring the real CFR down vs the counted deaths/total. Iceland, however, has been more or less indiscriminately testing a significant fraction of their total population, and their data indicates that the % of asymptomatic carriers is only ~50%. That would only bring an observed deaths/total CFR of ~20% down to about 10%.

Is it possible that the real CFR is close to 10%, and China just juked their stats a bit to cut it down closer to 4%? Is it possible that SK is an outlier because aggressive testing and case isolation prevented it from spreading (in a conspicuous enough way to be counted) to their most vulnerable populations? Something something BCG?

I dunno, but the bottom line is, outside of China, something like 300,000 people have gotten infected, and had long enough for the disease to run it's full course, and when all is said and done >20% of them have died, not 2-4%. It's been long enough and the sample size large & diverse enough that this should be concerning. Untested asymptotic carriers, even if accounted for, may only cut this figure in half.

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

lol good mourning america

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Saucer Hovers posted:

wow much nicer cgi than im used to

hrm suspicious of you now mr ufo name

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/MisatoDrinksAle/status/1247965916572397571

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Siljmonster posted:

finally

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

irpoweroutlet posted:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Ah good to know that my puny delaware hospital has three times the number of admitted roni's as *checks notes* the entire nation of New Zealand.

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

test post to see I lost all my av stuff

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

gently caress

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

loving this new av test meme format

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Siljmonster posted:

oh poo poo

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

The joke is that pigs are smarter than dogs and I think all the people that think they are hardcore animal lovers but eat animal products are clowns

sorry, but life is full of hypocrisies.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

irpoweroutlet posted:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Apraxin posted:

they already deleted it and came back even stronger
https://twitter.com/DiamondandSilk/status/1247951797571981314

Considering the French were so incredibly tone deaf as to suggest using Africa as the test bed for covid vaccines/treatments, they are not wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/LukewSavage/status/1247751032056066050