Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
Dave bragging about taking bigger bumps off his bike than Edge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I figure this is probably the best thread to ask: has anyone read Alvarez's new "100 things a wrestling fan should do before they die" book? Is it any good? I liked the WCW book but this seems like it might just be a clickbait article?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

OctoberCountry posted:

Dave bragging about taking bigger bumps off his bike than Edge

Yeah that was pretty weird

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I think he literally only wrote it because the publisher pitched it to him

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Isn't it entirely focused on WWE

You couldn't pay me to read that

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, it's WWE focused and he's pretty much said he didn't give a poo poo but the publisher pitched it and he likes money.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

projecthalaxy posted:

I figure this is probably the best thread to ask: has anyone read Alvarez's new "100 things a wrestling fan should do before they die" book? Is it any good? I liked the WCW book but this seems like it might just be a clickbait article?

From what people here said at the time it sounds like he pretty much just wrote it based off memory. If you're plugged in enough to post in a wrestling podcast thread you probably know everything in it.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Cool. Thanks everyone.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

projecthalaxy posted:

It's a toilet book in every sense of the term

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

projecthalaxy posted:

I guess a couple chapters are a little darker and more interesting than you'd expect but I can't imagine ever reading it to find out. Also it seems like there are a couple of editor introduced errors which is kind of funny.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Bryan lost the five dollars:

10 p.m. 1.93 million viewers

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
What was the bet again?

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

your friend wicka posted:

I'm sure as poo poo not going to argue if you thought the match was bad for a great many other reasons, that's totally fair, but the suggestion that John Cena should've won is downright insanity and directly conflicts with what virtually everyone in this forum thinks 99% of the time. No one thinks JOHN CENA should win more matches, no one thinks the criticism Wyatt is aiming at him is in any way wide of the mark.

I agree that there's no way John Cena should win this match, losing adds to his character and winning would invalidate, but I think comparing having a differing opinion than 99% of people here is "Insanity" is a harsh view that suggests a hive mind that I used to feel existed here but no longer think that thinking that is a helpful or necessarily true perception.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Consider this: let's go Cena

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I Before E posted:

Consider this: let's go Cena

Counter point: Cena rules

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

It's weird that Cena was so good as a big match worker between 2006 and 2015 and so poorly booked as a character that you could almost call him one of the most underrated guys of the era based on the disparity between the quality of his work and his reception among the hardcores.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
JC got booed for our sins.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The basic point that Dave made that Dana was the #1 villain compared to Vince being #2 was that Dana's a lot more in touch with the world and reality and 100% knows likely understands better what he's doing. . . . but after reading Dana's latest comments I'm no longer sure that's the case.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Seams posted:

What was the bet again?

Bryan thought Raw's third hour would be sub 1.6 million.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Rick posted:

The basic point that Dave made that Dana was the #1 villain compared to Vince being #2 was that Dana's a lot more in touch with the world and reality and 100% knows likely understands better what he's doing. . . . but after reading Dana's latest comments I'm no longer sure that's the case.

His bible gun told him to do that.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Rick posted:

He was mostly pissed because of the training aspect and guys either entering these fights in not great condition or training with others and needlessly putting them at risk of catching the virus.

Basically the WWE world is more insulated than MMA.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

god forbid Dana White leaves Jon Jones on the loving island.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

coconono posted:

god forbid Dana White leaves Jon Jones on the loving island.

Dana White owning a secret island made entirely of cocaine would actually explain a lot of things about UFC.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

flashy_mcflash posted:

Dana White owning a secret island made entirely of cocaine would actually explain a lot of things about UFC.

If Dana's not watching the show from atop a giant throne, then what's the point?

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

I wish Fitch still worked there because it would be funny to watch Dana scream "fatality" over & over again with increasing desperation.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Granny opening her review up by calling it the “barnyard match” is real, real strong

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Rick posted:

Was Dave saying this specific to coronavirus or that the pandemic has made Dana officially more evil in general?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If I understand your question right, specific to the coronavirus. He said Dana and Vince both running shows is bad (and he made a point of noting Tony Khan also ran shows as well) but Vince at least is completely detached from reality while Dana is fully aware of the very real issues and concerns of the Global Pandemic but chooses to ignore them in order to make money.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

The only real defensible argument you can make for anyone running shows is to keep wrestlers and fighters out of trouble. In Dana's case, he's got one of his larger drawing acts shooting off guns in strip club parking lots out of boredom. Its not too much of a leap for a cocaine genius to go "I KNOW I'LL BUY AN ISLAND." Plus the kinda rich dude notoriety of running fight clubs in Outer Heaven is something Dana's such a tryhard for.

I think both Vince and Tony's deals are they're just trying to provide normalcy. WWE's a pretty hosed up place but I don't see them making GBS threads on people for staying home, so that implies the plague shows have all be largely voluntary.

Plus on the national policy side, it'd make sense for artists and entertainers to be provided some means of safe conduct to help keep the populace from eating itself in fear.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Jerusalem posted:

If I understand your question right, specific to the coronavirus. He said Dana and Vince both running shows is bad (and he made a point of noting Tony Khan also ran shows as well) but Vince at least is completely detached from reality while Dana is fully aware of the very real issues and concerns of the Global Pandemic but chooses to ignore them in order to make money.

Yeah exactly.

sportsgenius86 posted:

He was mostly pissed because of the training aspect and guys either entering these fights in not great condition or training with others and needlessly putting them at risk of catching the virus.

Basically the WWE world is more insulated than MMA.

And this is another aspect. Dave basically talks about how either the fighters and trainers are in danger for training together or in danger, or in danger because they aren't getting proper training over Zoom, and just how many people are involved in running a sacntioned MMA whereas at least with wrestling you can actually keep it pretty close to the 10. Also just in general being pissed because of all the sacrifices everyone is making, and about how he wishes he was in the gym right now more than anything but is home because it's the right thing to do.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Davros1 posted:

If Dana's not watching the show from atop a giant throne, then what's the point?

Needs a metal claw and a fighter has to tell him "Man, you come straight out of a comic book ".

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
One of Dave's best tweets.

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1246972268833431552

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
For people who haven't read Dave's contemporary review of this match:

quote:

The match that destroyed the show. The match that destroyed the NWA title in the United States. The only thing positive to say is that it's a good thing this wasn't televised in Japan. I wonder if this was the first time in wrestling history where two wrestlers, in their first meeting ever, had a potential match of the year, and then in their first rematch had a potential worst match of the year?

Before the match, Gary Capetta introduced Seiji Sakaguchi as NWA President, Hiro Matsuda and Manobu Nakanishi as a member of the Japanese Olympic team from Barcelona. Ross at this point commented about how glad he was he didn't have to pronounce those names. Can you imagine that comment from another perspective? Let's say Bruce Baumgardner went tothe next card at Sumo Hall, and the New Japan announcer and didn't even talk about who the guy is and blew it off with a remark like "Boy I'm sure glad I don't have to pronounce those American names."

There was no reaction at all to the two referees, an angle that had been built up on television. Madusa, fired minutes earlier, came out with Rude anyway. After a coin flip, Race was chosen to referee in the ring, Sasaki outside the ring. So this was the most screwed up match imaginable. The supposed top heel in the United States comes to ringside with a just-turned babyface who had just been fired minutes earlier but is
still there anyway after being fired, with no plausible explanation. Ross and Ventura did address the subject, but there was no answer that made sense and their attempt, saying that Rude had apparently chosen Madusa over Paul E., only served to make Rude theoretically a babyface, although in reality it made him another wrestler that nobody seemed to care about.

To make matters stranger, the heel ref, Race, was officiating right down the line. At least that was good, because a full-fledged heel ref performance would have made this match even worse. Well, Rude wasn't a babyface here. Neither was Chono. The only babyface was Ric Flair, since the first 5:00 consisted of "We Want Flair" and "Whooo" chants that the announcers couldn't acknowledge.

Chono was clearly way off because of his pinched nerve in his neck. Rude seemed disgusted. I'd guess part of it was because it became apparent he was over nowhere near the level that he probably thought he was, since nobody cared about anything that involved the match and instead used his match as a way to chant for a guy who left the promotion 16 months earlier. To make matters worse, Ross and Ventura blew the announcing here because they never explained and exclaimed when Chono put on his various submission holds, so it seemed like it was all dead time.

And to make it even worse, early in the match when Chono put on a submission, Ventura made the comment about how Rude would never submit, and Ross, who I guess didn't want to disagree, agreed with him, which basically told the viewers that all the submissions were a waste of time because a guy like Rude would never submit. Once it's established that the "big stars" are never going to submit, you've killed the entire concept of submission holds, which is exactly what happened in this country about ten years ago which created the illusion that everything but high spots can be labeled as restholds and makes it much harder to work an effective and realistic match. Thus only gimmicks and high spots get over, neither of which are realistic, and then they complain because the heels don't have heat, and it's because the style doesn't allow anyone to take the product seriously. The crowd didn't understand the holds live, but the holds had never been put over previously on television, where fans are educated to the nuances, so why should they have? I guess wrestling fans are supposed to have ESP, since Rude and Chono knew what they were doing, everyone else should have figured it out without being told as well. This made the match seem even more like it was going nowhere.

At 19:00, when they should have been building for a finish, a fight broke out which diverted everyone's attention from a supposed world title match. Both guys by this point must have figured it was hopeless, because as they worked to the finish, they were missing spots. Chono kicked Race in the face when Rude ducked. Race went out of the ring and Sasaki tried to help him up. Chono then threw Rude over the top rope and Rude landed on both Sasaki and Race knocking them both down. Rude got back in, hit the Rude Awakening, but there was no ref to count. Chono made a comeback, caught Rude in the STF, and Sasaki jumped in the ring and called for the bell to apparently signal Chono the winner via submission, although neither announcer acknowledged the word submission even existed in our language. Race overruled Sasaki and declared Rude the winner via DQ.

Boy, that was a novel finish that nobody had ever seen before. Race than tried to attack Sasaki and Sasaki did a few slams on Race, who still took those picture perfect bumps, then dropkicked Rude out of the ring. Truly a
disaster in every way.

One of the worst world title matches ever on PPV. -***

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

extradite THIS! posted:

Just wanna say this was a really fun episode!

Thank you! We're just having fun and trying to keep our sanity right now. BTW to all the Rudocast listeners out there, we're going to start adding a new segment watching a classic match or two every week and analyzing it. If you have a favorite match or want to hear us cover something post it here, shoot me a PM, or tweet us @Rudospodcast. Puro, Indies, Classic territory stuff, Lucha, WCW, weird comedy stuff, whatever. If we get enough we may just do a live stream.

Pinche Rudo fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 9, 2020

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Edge & Christian posted:

For people who haven't read Dave's contemporary review of this match:

quote:

And to make it even worse, early in the match when Chono put on a submission, Ventura made the comment about how Rude would never submit, and Ross, who I guess didn't want to disagree, agreed with him, which basically told the viewers that all the submissions were a waste of time because a guy like Rude would never submit. Once it's established that the "big stars" are never going to submit, you've killed the entire concept of submission holds, which is exactly what happened in this country about ten years ago which created the illusion that everything but high spots can be labeled as restholds and makes it much harder to work an effective and realistic match. Thus only gimmicks and high spots get over, neither of which are realistic, and then they complain because the heels don't have heat, and it's because the style doesn't allow anyone to take the product seriously.

the more things change

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Then, Now, Forever

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Disney apparently got sick of Dana's poo poo, though he's still insisting the King of Iron Fist Tournament will still happen.
https://twitter.com/SBNation/status/1248377219321171968

quote:

“Today we got a call from the highest level you can go at Disney and the highest level of ESPN,” White said in a video interview with ESPN. “One thing that I’ve said since we’ve started our relationship and partnership with ESPN is that it’s been an incredible one. It’s been an amazing partnership.

“ESPN has been very, very good to us, and the powers that be there asked me to stand down and not do this event next Saturday.”

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I’m sure that Disney is thrilled with how Dana framed the announcement.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, he's basically saying Disney are the responsible parties so its not that terrible. Plus it kind of sideways implied that they have more influence than the POTUS.

But now Trump is gonna do a rant about Disney or Fox News will craft a conspiracy story about how they're holding down news of the miracle cure to boost Disney+ or something newly weird.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Apr 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

That he's basically saying "Disney shut us down" feels to me a lot like he's breaking the first rule of business of don't throw your partners under the bus.