Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

*Ahem*

12-13 The rainbow that I have put in the sky will be my sign to you and to every living creature on earth. It will remind you that I will keep this promise forever. 14 When I send clouds over the earth, and a rainbow appears in the sky, 15 I will remember my promise to you and to all other living creatures. Never again will I let floodwaters destroy all life. 16 When I see the rainbow in the sky, I will always remember the promise that I have made to every living creature. 17 The rainbow will be the sign of that solemn promise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

VideoGameVet posted:

This Boomer is determined to give away, to the schools, a non-oil-industry created Climate Curriculum, to replace the denialist stuff they are using now. To that purpose I’m adding quizzes to the Climate Trail game.

I’m tempted in addition to having this be in the ‘e-book’, to also offering taking a quiz as a way out when you run out of supplies, although that sort of “breaks the wall” when it comes to gameplay and when I’ve worked on educational software for schools I wasn’t a fan of that.

So no.

This rules. It's E, right? A, B, and D seem wrong because meteors and earthquakes are unrelated to global warming, and then I think C is wrong I'm pretty sure arctic ice going down is the way we break records these days

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

VideoGameVet posted:

This Boomer is determined to give away, to the schools, a non-oil-industry created Climate Curriculum, to replace the denialist stuff they are using now. To that purpose I’m adding quizzes to the Climate Trail game.

I’m tempted in addition to having this be in the ‘e-book’, to also offering taking a quiz as a way out when you run out of supplies, although that sort of “breaks the wall” when it comes to gameplay and when I’ve worked on educational software for schools I wasn’t a fan of that.

So no.

'climatic' not 'climactic'

there's really no way anything happening right now is climactic yet

also this owns

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

*Ahem*

12-13 The rainbow that I have put in the sky will be my sign to you and to every living creature on earth. It will remind you that I will keep this promise forever. 14 When I send clouds over the earth, and a rainbow appears in the sky, 15 I will remember my promise to you and to all other living creatures. Never again will I let floodwaters destroy all life. 16 When I see the rainbow in the sky, I will always remember the promise that I have made to every living creature. 17 The rainbow will be the sign of that solemn promise.

So God prefers Mad Max to Water World?

Serious post: How much does human activity contribute to dimming and how much does it seem that the coronavirus depression has decreased it?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Pulcinella posted:

So God prefers Mad Max to Water World?

Serious post: How much does human activity contribute to dimming and how much does it seem that the coronavirus depression has decreased it?

~We’re going to find out!~

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

How are u posted:

The problem with shitposting is that it may be cathartic but it doesn't ever translate into real world change.

Shitposting played a big part in making Donald Trump the current President of the United States of America.

But ya other than that I guess you're right.

maker
Jun 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nice piece of fish posted:

I know it's ghoulish and hosed up and probably really loving stupid, but I've been thinking about this post and the olds loving over the younger generation at every turn (not just in the US but everywhere).

Boomers seem to be determined on their goddamned dying breath to prevent economic equality and justice, health care for all people and a sustainable non-emitting economy at the expense of the 1%ers profit. They are able to do this due to hosed up demographics and accumulating wealth for themselves through a long life of not giving a gently caress about others. In the US, they loving picked a senile rapist over Bernie by massive fuckery and billionaire boomers are more than ever screeching in every goddamned news media I see about their bottom line being affected by the effort to save mere unimportant poor people lives...

I can't stop myself from thinking yeah, let's loving do this. Stop all quarantine measures, business as usual, every young person doing whatever they can to make sure every boomer starting on wall street, country clubs, ski resorts and Bon Jovi concerts get infected with the virus and loving removed from power and influence forever. We should be spreading it everywhere.

It really might be the only possible option to actually see anything positive happen in regards to climate change.

I can't even feel it's unfair. If this disease disproportionately affected young minorities, the people in power would not lift a loving finger. But affecting senior citizens, oh no, shut it all the gently caress down while the people with actual savings and resources can sequester themselves away with little to no hardship.

I know I'm hosed up. But god damned the loving irony of this entire loving situation. Just drives me crazy. I don't mind following quarantine and doing my part but it loving burns me the hypocrisy and entitlement of these old fucks in power demanding people give up their future so that the gravy train can continue for them.

Anyway I'll have burger, medium fries large soda and I'll go the gently caress away now.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Young ppl are hardly better. Hardly 20% even voted in the dem primaries

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

maker posted:

Young ppl are hardly better. Hardly 20% even voted in the dem primaries

young people correctly recognize that democracy is a fake idea

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Oxxidation posted:

young people correctly recognize that democracy is a fake idea

it's pretty clearly not a fake idea since we keep getting hosed over by not participating in it

Pillow Face
Jun 22, 2004

Spreading the Nite Crew cancer one volunteer shift at a time.

you tell kids their whole lives what to do and to shut up and that they don't understand the real world and a vote is just a drop in the bucket in a world where money decides anyways and they're just getting adjusted to becoming self sufficient as best they can so wtf can you really expect from them

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

All ideas are constructed and that has nothing to do with if they are real or not. They can be constructed and not real, they can be constructed and real.

Democracy is a good one, one we should make real.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Democracy is a good one, one we should make real.

Yes but voting in an American election is not how you do that. It’s not even a small part of your political obligations, just a straight up distraction.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

tuyop posted:

Yes but voting in an American election is not how you do that. It’s not even a small part of your political obligations, just a straight up distraction.

If this was actually true gerrymandering and voter suppression would not exist.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Admiral Ray posted:

the discrepancy between exit polls and actual dem primary results averages like 12% in non-caucus states, in biden's favour. dems just flat out cheat in their elections and there's nothing you can do about it #BEB

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Truga posted:

the discrepancy between exit polls and actual dem primary results averages like 12% in non-caucus states, in biden's favour. dems just flat out cheat in their elections and there's nothing you can do about it #BEB

Bernie's got 34% in an exit poll in Texas but only 30% of the vote, which then got garbled into a 12% drop rather than a 4% drop (because 4/34 =12%), which then somehow extended to Biden gaining that much (despite the fact that he didn't really outperform exit polls there) and also extended into all states.

It's bad stats and bad word of mouth.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
there were districts with upwards of 12% discrepancies, and IT JUST SO HAPPENS every single one went bernie -> biden.

bootlicker

e: also, the "young voters didn't turn out" is a bullshit myth, they turned out in unprecendented numbers, had to wait in lines for hours, and despite all the supression were a big chunk of the vote. too bad the system was rigged from the start tho.

Truga fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Apr 7, 2020

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Truga posted:

there were districts with upwards of 12% discrepancies
Is that using the same bullshit that 34-->30% is a 12% drop?

Bernie ran a poo poo campaign and lost to a dead man.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
bernie ran a poo poo campaign, but he was also somehow winning all the primaries that happened out in public.

then, when they went secret, suddenly he's behind, and all the exit polls show massive discrepancies all favouring a single candidate. :thunkher:

e: US coups countries for less lmao

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Nice piece of fish posted:

I know it's ghoulish and hosed up and probably really loving stupid, but I've been thinking about this post and the olds loving over the younger generation at every turn (not just in the US but everywhere).

Boomers seem to be determined on their goddamned dying breath to prevent economic equality and justice, health care for all people and a sustainable non-emitting economy at the expense of the 1%ers profit. They are able to do this due to hosed up demographics and accumulating wealth for themselves through a long life of not giving a gently caress about others. In the US, they loving picked a senile rapist over Bernie by massive fuckery and billionaire boomers are more than ever screeching in every goddamned news media I see about their bottom line being affected by the effort to save mere unimportant poor people lives...

I can't stop myself from thinking yeah, let's loving do this. Stop all quarantine measures, business as usual, every young person doing whatever they can to make sure every boomer starting on wall street, country clubs, ski resorts and Bon Jovi concerts get infected with the virus and loving removed from power and influence forever. We should be spreading it everywhere.

It really might be the only possible option to actually see anything positive happen in regards to climate change.

I can't even feel it's unfair. If this disease disproportionately affected young minorities, the people in power would not lift a loving finger. But affecting senior citizens, oh no, shut it all the gently caress down while the people with actual savings and resources can sequester themselves away with little to no hardship.

I know I'm hosed up. But god damned the loving irony of this entire loving situation. Just drives me crazy. I don't mind following quarantine and doing my part but it loving burns me the hypocrisy and entitlement of these old fucks in power demanding people give up their future so that the gravy train can continue for them.

Anyway I'll have burger, medium fries large soda and I'll go the gently caress away now.

*Disclaimer: Do not under any circumstances negligently or intentionally spread any form of disease, poison or pollution that is capable of harming others regardless of the sociopolitical or economic problems or hardships the general population endures, as this is potentially illegal and most certainly immoral behaviour.

The previous post in no way reflects the actual desires of the Original Poster and should in no way be interpreted as encouragement to intentionally spread disease. Please follow all disease control guidelines and restrictions, remain sequestered and wash your hands thoroughly for at least 30 seconds.

It is generally recommended to refrain from misanthropy-posting in this time of hardship. If it cannot be avoided, please ensure that any and all suggestions of actions that may impact the well-being of others are clearly marked as disingenuous or hypothetical, also and especially if they are completely unfunny.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
poo poo. Bit late with that one.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Bernie ran a poo poo campaign and lost to a dead man.

Make no mistake: Bernie lost to Weekend at Bernies.

The DNC coordinated a mass dropout to prop up their centrist empty suit boomer dickhead.

Pete had performed better than Biden and mysteriously dropped pre-ST to back Biden in an effort against progressivism. That’s all it was.

Was it against the rules? No. But much like Dem v GOP in nationwide elections, a progressive candidate must massively outperform a centrist just to run even because the establishment will always put their finger on the scales. They did it last time and they’ve done it this time.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I agree that if bernie had ran a good campaign he could easily run away with the election. His campaign isn't very good, he's not nearly hard enough on, in his words, "his good friend joe".

But, super tuesday was close enough that the exit poll discrepancies are handing biden his win. If the discrepancies were roughly 50/50 between biden/bernie, that'd be one thing. But almost every state posting exit poll numbers one way, and then actual results favouring biden? uhhhhhhhhhhhhh, yeah, that's 100% rigged. Dems weren't going to let Bernie win one way or another.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Admiral Ray posted:

That poo poo’s all just either a victory lap or brutality for distraction’s sake. Fight against the gerrymandering and voter suppression! Pay no attention to the fact that we win no matter which cartoon you vote for! Oh and also that now you’re too exhausted, humiliated and brutalized to do much else but throw up your hands and vote.

I mean, hell, you’re doing it right now. Just totally duped into thinking the only thing standing in the way of your democratic utopia is x, y, or z practice.

The people already lost when all their real options were exactly the same.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Maybe don't post your election conspiracy theories in the climate change thread? There's a couple of sweet threads to yell about Bernie and how you're going to take your vengeance.

e: Bernie wouldn't have saved us from climate change, just to be clear. The narrative that Bernie was the only one who had a plan that could save us was false from the beginning. If you understand the science you understand that we are 100% irrevocably hosed no matter what happens electorally.

How are u fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 7, 2020

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

How are u posted:

Maybe don't post your election conspiracy theories in the climate change thread? There's a couple of sweet threads to yell about Bernie and how you're going to take your vengeance.

e: Bernie wouldn't have saved us from climate change, just to be clear. The narrative that Bernie was the only one who had a plan that could save us was false from the beginning. If you understand the science you understand that we are 100% irrevocably hosed no matter what happens electorally.

We're hosed as far as our lifetimes are concerned but there's still a chance for future generations.

The worst case scenario isn't actually locked in yet.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 7, 2020

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

How are u posted:

If you understand the science you understand that we are 100% irrevocably hosed no matter what happens electorally.

gently caress off with this anti-science denialist bullshit.

The science of course shows that there are massively different outcomes still possible, but yes, like usual you're arguing for the outcome that causes the most human suffering (the Biden As Usual scenario).

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

tuyop posted:

That poo poo’s all just either a victory lap or brutality for distraction’s sake. Fight against the gerrymandering and voter suppression! Pay no attention to the fact that we win no matter which cartoon you vote for! Oh and also that now you’re too exhausted, humiliated and brutalized to do much else but throw up your hands and vote.

I mean, hell, you’re doing it right now. Just totally duped into thinking the only thing standing in the way of your democratic utopia is x, y, or z practice.

The people already lost when all their real options were exactly the same.

This is pretty defeatist. Nobody is talking about a democratic utopia, just making voting fairer and easier to do. It's not glamorous or flashy, but it's work that does need to be done. You can think voting is meaningless all you want, but the history of violence and oppression centered on preventing people from voting belies your conclusion.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

How are u posted:

If you understand the science you understand that we are 100% irrevocably hosed no matter what happens electorally.
not only was that not true a few months ago, the virus has done an amazing job of fast forwarding a decade on:
- embracing remote-work/tele-everything
- flexing long atrophied state muscles showing people that anytime we want we can do things
- lol 360 noscoped the airlines. all future airline industries that arent already will be quasi-state money holes like amtrak

on top of that 3/4ths of all new electrical generation capacity on earth in 2019 was renewables. thats *with* the trump admin fighting it tooth and nail, repealing tons of coal restrictions from obama and forcing higher priced bids from renewables. over the course of the next 30 years 80% of the energy supply will switch to renewable (w/nuke&hydro) completely as-is and on its own. nothing has to get passed, no one has to invent anything, prices only barely need to continue getting a little bit better for a few more years.

now, 80% is not enough, but its a big enough chunk that we're not "100% irrevocably hosed" at all.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

All it's shown is that we're significantly less inept at responding to immediate, concrete emergencies than we are at dealing with long-term, multi-generational problems.

A fact everyone in this thread already knew.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

How are u posted:

This is relevant because:

quote:

And it’s not a conspiracy theory at all any more than greater incarceration rates for poor people and POC is part of a plan of some cabal of lizardmen. It’s just a function of empire.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Conspiratiorist posted:

All it's shown is that we're significantly less inept at responding to immediate, concrete emergencies than we are at dealing with long-term, multi-generational problems.

A fact everyone in this thread already knew.

Yeah, the past month has demonstrated succinctly that if we really gave a poo poo about an extinction event we could make massive systemic changes overnight.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Rime posted:

Yeah, the past month has demonstrated succinctly that if we really gave a poo poo about an extinction event we could make massive systemic changes overnight.

The silver lining in this awful pandemic will hopefully be something we can point back to that shows with crystal clarity how much could be done if we just *wanted* to do it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

How are u posted:

Bernie wouldn't have saved us from climate change, just to be clear. The narrative that Bernie was the only one who had a plan that could save us was false from the beginning. If you understand the science you understand that we are 100% irrevocably hosed no matter what happens electorally.

bernie was 10 billion miles better than any other candidate on climate despite being incredibly bad, and working up from "incredibly lovely" is a lot easier than working up from "nothing at all"

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

How are u posted:

Climate change is terrifying and absolutely happening at a rate that will cause untold destruction. But what you should really worry about is our response to it as a society as things start falling apart, and having a neoliberal shill at the head of government is something we probably want to avoid.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How are u posted:

People will still be here in 500 years, and their conditions are being determined right now. It is better to be 105% hosed than 150% hosed.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Adding on to what others have said, for American Democracy to be simply “smoke and mirrors” theres sure as hell is an enormous amount time and energy spent getting people to vote, volunteer in some political capacity or persuade them that their preferred candidate sucks and they should stay home on Election Day.

But in any event, there’s a massive world of difference with Biden or Trump being in office especially with Global Warming. I’ll admit it is incredibly disappointing that Biden does have Oil and Gas Industry connections but I don’t believe for a minute he’d be trying to roll back things like automotive emissions standards.

If you still don’t believe me, Greenpeace recently updated Biden’s Scorecard to a B from an earlier D- Greenpeace - Joe Biden 2020 Climate Score

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How are u posted:

The silver lining in this awful pandemic will hopefully be something we can point back to that shows with crystal clarity how much could be done if we just *wanted* to do it.

The response to COVID-19 is good analogy as to what we need to do to combat climate change in a specific way as in the entire international scientific community and governments are exclusively focusing on this virus however make no mistake there is absolutely zero lining when it comes to climate change.

Simply hitting pause for a few months we’ve you’ve already been emitting carbon for centuries does essentially nothing and has hurt efforts to reduce emissions. Petroleum prices are extremely low leading to even less incentives to move towards renewables and long term energy forecasts haven’t changed - give it a few years and we will just end up where we were to begin with in the first place with us even further from decarbonization.

There Is No Climate Silver Lining to COVID-19

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Tab8715 posted:

The response to COVID-19 is good analogy as to what we need to do to combat climate change in a specific way as in the entire international scientific community and governments are exclusively focusing on this virus however make no mistake there is absolutely zero lining when it comes to climate change.

Simply hitting pause for a few months we’ve you’ve already been emitting carbon for centuries does essentially nothing and has hurt efforts to reduce emissions. Petroleum prices are extremely low leading to even less incentives to move towards renewables and long term energy forecasts haven’t changed - give it a few years and we will just end up where we were to begin with in the first place with us even further from decarbonization.

There Is No Climate Silver Lining to COVID-19

I don't mean any silver lining when it comes to emissions, rather that this whole coronavirus pandemic has thrown back the curtain and shows that literally anything is possible if we simply decide we want to do it. Now there's a real world, extraordinarily contemporary example to point to and say "We need to be responding to climate change like we are responding to coronavirus."

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
The 2008 financial crisis is the only thing to ever make a dent in emissions, I don't see why the Covid crisis, presuming it entails economic fallout at least as bad as 2008 will have the same effect, certainly more of an effect then any politician would have managed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

How are u posted:

I don't mean any silver lining when it comes to emissions, rather that this whole coronavirus pandemic has thrown back the curtain and shows that literally anything is possible if we simply decide we want to do it. Now there's a real world, extraordinarily contemporary example to point to and say "We need to be responding to climate change like we are responding to coronavirus."

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1247900240155295745