Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I've been replaying through Witcher 3 and was wondering, is Witcher 2 worth checking out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Prey, Fez, and Valkyria Chronicles are all leaving Gamepass PC on 4/15. They're all good games and I loved Prey in particular. Definitely worth playing through Prey before they remove it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BisterdDave posted:

I've been replaying through Witcher 3 and was wondering, is Witcher 2 worth checking out?

Unlike Witcher 1, maybe. Its still really rough and janky but some people love it or else there wouldn't be a Witcher 3 but a not insignificant portion of the people who try to play it quit before the tutorial ends. You kind of have to decide how much artisinal weirdness and rigid controls you can handle at one time.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
nier automata is a really charming game I liked quite a bit and I'm glad I got a chance to play it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

nier automata is a really charming game I liked quite a bit and I'm glad I got a chance to play it

The first nier is getting a remake soon so check it out. Nier Automata is chockfull of references to it and, personally, I think the story is more engaging and paced better in Nier 1 than Automata, but the original gameplay is a massive step down.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

BisterdDave posted:

Yeah. It has two different second acts depending on your choices in act 1 so theres a lot of replay value and the story and characters are very good. Combat is rougher than w3 tho. I just mashed through on easy

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah. It has two different second acts depending on your choices in act 1 so theres a lot of replay value and the story and characters are very good. Combat is rougher than w3 tho. I just mashed through on easy

That's good to hear, I'm mainly interested in checking it out for the story/characters. I guess combat is just a vehicle to carry me in between stories, and I didn't know just how rough that could be, considering the combat in 3 is just ok and not great.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The hardest part of w2 is no kidding the combat tutorial at the start of the game. Its so bad/confusing

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Real hurthling! posted:

The hardest part of w2 is no kidding the combat tutorial at the start of the game. Its so bad/confusing

i've tried to play that game three times now and quit during this section each time

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah, the Witcher 2 tutorial is up there with the tutorial in Driver. Its really, really, really bad.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

If you install the Full Combat Rebalance mod on the PC version of Witcher 2, which you most definitely should do because it makes it way better, the tutorial can't be completed anymore because it asks you to do a thing that doesn't exist anymore

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
I just discovered the launch random game button, why doesn't every console have this built in?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ryoga posted:

I just discovered the launch random game button, why doesn't every console have this built in?

If you pick up the switch its cause a new good game is out

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ryoga posted:

what

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Xbox: when just anything will do

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

It was added in the most recent dashboard update.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
If it's anything like selecting shuffle from my music collection, "skip, skip, skip,..., this one is ok".

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

It's training you to keep only the two games you're powering through right now on the drive so you'll be able to handle sudden 200GB patches.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Zerot posted:

It was added in the most recent dashboard update.

sorry let me clarify: why

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Stux posted:

sorry let me clarify: why

You played all the 360 games but gitta play somethin

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Prey, Fez, and Valkyria Chronicles are all leaving Gamepass PC on 4/15. They're all good games and I loved Prey in particular. Definitely worth playing through Prey before they remove it.

I really wish they gave more notice about games leaving. I never have enough time to do more then just start them.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Game Pass is great for those that only have an Xbox and only play games on Game Pass.

I know they're gonna remove Rage 2 before I finally decide to get around to playing it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its for the best

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The games are on there for 6 months to a year usually, if you arent just a recent signup after that much time you werent going to play it anyway. Its like when Netflix removes shows, youre not gonna suddenly hunker down and watch 6 seasons of a show you heard was ok when theres stuff you want to watch still available right now.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

BisterdDave posted:

Game Pass is great for those that only have an Xbox and only play games on Game Pass.

I know they're gonna remove Rage 2 before I finally decide to get around to playing it.

its garbage.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I beat it and it has good shooting feeling undermined by an open world that just wastes your time and sucks to navigate and your starting weapons being the most useful by far. I feel like they could have made it a good game with a solid if niche fanbase back in the design stages but decided to keep trying to make the open car combat and racing thing work in the shooter with little enemy variety.

It also has a hideous bug about halfway into the game that prevents the main plot mission from progressing and the way to trigger it is by doing what the game tells you to do instead of standing around like a slackjawes yokel for a another 15-20 seconds so the current person talking in your ear finishes talking before you push the button directly in front of you. It also autosaves after you gently caress up your save, so if you dont have any backup saves RIP your game.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Barudak posted:

I beat it and it has good shooting feeling undermined by an open world that just wastes your time and sucks to navigate .

Sounds like an Avalanche game alright

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Sounds like an Avalanche game alright

I didnt even know it was an Avalanche game at first but I mentioned off hand to a friend "hey opening this cooler and these little battle areas feel exactly like that Mad Max game" and he was like "you know its the same people, right?", thats how deep into the Avalanche feeling it is.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

The Grey posted:

I really wish they gave more notice about games leaving. I never have enough time to do more then just start them.
If all you do is just start them then you were never going to play them anyway.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Rage 2's combat is super fun and some of the best in an FPS. The vehicle combat is entertaining too but you never do it outside a random event in the open world which is just one of the many puzzling decisions that game has outside the first person shooting. You'll still get an entertaining 12 hours out of it if you ever play it and are into that type of game.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

rage 2s combat is very generic and probably just play doom eternal instead

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

nuDoom isn't an FPS.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

hahahahaha

edit: pls elaborate i want to hear why

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its a strategy platformer now
:goonsay:

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

It's a character action game. The lead designer has talked since the first (2016) game about how much he loves Bayonetta, Devil May Cry and Resident Evil 4 and it shows in a ton of the design decisions behind the combat. It's even more obvious in Eternal.

Which is cool because it's well done but not what I'd go for if I want a more traditional shootmens.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

GUI posted:

It's a character action game. The lead designer has talked since the first (2016) game about how much he loves Bayonetta, Devil May Cry and Resident Evil 4 and it shows in a ton of the design decisions behind the combat. It's even more obvious in Eternal.

Which is cool because it's well done but not what I'd go for if I want a more traditional shootmens.

elaborate more on the design decisions behind the combat, which is about shooting things with large guns, and how its actually a devil may cry, a game about juggling things in t he air with big swords

i started playing doom eternal and shockingly my thoughts so far arent "wow this is just like astral chain" but "wow this is literally quake now"

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Here's the thing: Quake wasn't an FPS either.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

wolfenstein and doom and the grandfathers of fps, but quake is the eternal god emperor and all others will be measured against it

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Barudak posted:

I beat it and it has good shooting feeling undermined by an open world that just wastes your time and sucks to navigate and your starting weapons being the most useful by far. I feel like they could have made it a good game with a solid if niche fanbase back in the design stages but decided to keep trying to make the open car combat and racing thing work in the shooter with little enemy variety.

It also has a hideous bug about halfway into the game that prevents the main plot mission from progressing and the way to trigger it is by doing what the game tells you to do instead of standing around like a slackjawes yokel for a another 15-20 seconds so the current person talking in your ear finishes talking before you push the button directly in front of you. It also autosaves after you gently caress up your save, so if you dont have any backup saves RIP your game.

My favorite part of the open world was trying to drive somewhere in a straight line and falling into one of the giant gaping holes that kill you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Stux posted:

elaborate more on the design decisions behind the combat, which is about shooting things with large guns, and how its actually a devil may cry, a game about juggling things in t he air with big swords

i started playing doom eternal and shockingly my thoughts so far arent "wow this is just like astral chain" but "wow this is literally quake now"
Really? You spend 80% of your time platforming between various highlighted environment objects and managing resources by performing melee/chainsaw kills. It didn't really feel like a shooter to me.