Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

What's the go to "picture in picture" solution for SteamVR now? Oculus had a good one for a while that some goon here was working on, but I don't know if it ever got ported over. Virtual Desktop had some sort of solution a while back but I'm not sure if it still works and can't find much about the current state of the software. Is OVR Toolkit one to use now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
OVR Toolkit is pretty decent, I use it sometimes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cojawfee posted:

OVR Toolkit is pretty decent, I use it sometimes.

OVR Toolkit is fantastic, and the developer regularly updates it. Just gotta remember to set it to run on startup with SteamVR and you're golden. It also gives you a back-of-the-hand menu that shows the time and remaining battery life in your Controllers, HMD, and Trackers if you have them.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
On Pimax 5k+, when playing Alyx, there's a bug since launch where objects all pop in and out of view on the far right side of the right eye. Blood/bullet decals are messed up and look like floating sprites, and shadows and gravity gun highlights also look disconnected from the game world. Apparently this happens with "canted" display headsets even in Steam VR sometimes.

This can all be fixed by enabling "Parallel Projection" in the Pimax tool, but that setting makes the game run at about 45fps instead of it's usual 90+

You can see it in my spectator mode recording here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/b6l4asc7ilskawc/AlyxDisabledParallelProjection.mp4?dl=0

I opened a ticket with Steam, but does anyone know of some kinda hack or setting that could fix it (maybe some way to tell the game to render further out of bounds than that? Playing around 45fps is so obnoxious that I put it back into gfx glitch mode.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Warbird posted:

What's the go to "picture in picture" solution for SteamVR now? Oculus had a good one for a while that some goon here was working on, but I don't know if it ever got ported over. Virtual Desktop had some sort of solution a while back but I'm not sure if it still works and can't find much about the current state of the software. Is OVR Toolkit one to use now?

Desktop Portal is the "new hotness". Dude whos running it is pretty good about updates, bug fixes, feature adds, etc.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Not feeling Lies Beneath. Like, at all.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I bought Fujii, it was on sale for Rift/Quest (I bought it to play on Quest). It is very relaxing.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

chaosapiant posted:

Was playing some more Alyx today, then turned it off, sat down, and started messing with my IPad. A curious thing happened...I didn’t feel my hands were real and had a hard time touching the IPad, like my brain was still registering my own hands as virtual hands. That’s a first for me. Am I dying?

This happened to me only once, after playing Arizona Sunshine with smooth movement turned on. It was making me really nauseated, so I had to put it down for a while. I went to go sit on the terlet and check my phone, and everything felt weird, like beep-booping my fingers on the phone were virtual hands instead of real ones.

Very spooky

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

SCheeseman posted:

I bought Fujii, it was on sale for Rift/Quest (I bought it to play on Quest). It is very relaxing.

I like Fiji but it also makes me sad there's not a VR version of Journey

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

chaosapiant posted:

Was playing some more Alyx today, then turned it off, sat down, and started messing with my IPad. A curious thing happened...I didn’t feel my hands were real and had a hard time touching the IPad, like my brain was still registering my own hands as virtual hands. That’s a first for me. Am I dying?

You are not. This happened to me after Boneworks and it goes away after a day or two or three

It just means you’re immersed in the game. Your brain starts learning the best way to control Alyx’s hands (which is not the same as the best way to control your own hands IRL) and gets confused when it has to re-re-learn it after you’re done.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Turin Turambar posted:

Not feeling Lies Beneath. Like, at all.

what's wrong? looks like a cell shaded and linear horror game. Doesn't seem very clever though

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

You are not. This happened to me after Boneworks and it goes away after a day or two or three

It just means you’re immersed in the game. Your brain starts learning the best way to control Alyx’s hands (which is not the same as the best way to control your own hands IRL) and gets confused when it has to re-re-learn it after you’re done.

Out of curiosity are you two using room scale? I never get that level of immersed in VR, but I also have to do my thing in a level of space that requires me to keep a read on my physical position so I don’t smack a wall or my computer. That does appear to have the side effect of me never getting motion sickness ever, though my brain just might be weird.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

drat SillyBalls, how long do you stay in your VR Helmet? It went away for me in around 20 minutes as my mind readjusted to boring reality. 2-3 days?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I am using roomscale, yeah.

I dunno it took a couple days for me to return to normal. Brains are weird

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I have a Quest on the way but see that with the additional cable you can run PCVR games. Is my GTX 760 enough to play something like Tetris Effect or am I poo poo out of luck until I upgrade my GPU?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Penpal posted:

what's wrong? looks like a cell shaded and linear horror game. Doesn't seem very clever though

Note: I reached the fishing village, that's where I am at.
It's really an horror-themed action game, more than a survival horror. It's very linear, and not in an interesting way like some games are able to do, having unique set pieces and mechanics at a decent pace.
The scenarios are kind of featureless, using a lot of generic snowy wastelands/forests landscapes. A type of scenario that would be hard to make a very linear game, right? Well, don't worry, they just put lots of mysterious wooden structures with planks to make up linear corridors that guide you. The world doesn't feel interactive or alive, the things you can pick up are health items, weapons and ammo, that's it. There is barely any emphasis on exploration, there is no puzzles, there is no stealth sections, nothing to really mix up the gameplay. For now, the sections that were a bit different has been: a 'horde' moment in a cabin in the woods, with traps you can place, a simple boss fight, and a pair of sections where enemies spawn seemingly endlessly and you have to burn up some dolls to stop it. The story is for now lacking, you are searching for your father and monsters attack you. There is clearly some twist coming, but is also clear that the story is a small portion of the game.
The melee combat doesn't feel good, on your side, there is no attempt to simulate inertia or try to make weapons behave differently. On the enemy side, it isn't very clear what is their attack reach, sometimes you are at a distance that you judge out of their attacks, and still you are hit. The firearms are also a bit simple, without interesting reloads or... dunno, they are bit arcade, let's say. The shotgun feels nice to use, though. The combat itself could also feel better, the enemies disappearing the second they are killed hurt the gunplay.

edit: I played today a bit more. I will add, it doesn't seem as you can parry in melee, which sucks. I confirm on the enemy attack hitbox suckage. And one more thing I forgot: the grabbit method and inventory system are very unpolished, lots of times I want to pick something from the ground and the circle indicating you can do it won't activate, the trick is to put yourself a bit farther away but not too far. The inventory invisible 'hitbox' are super huge and it's a pain in the rear end when you want to drop something to store a new item, instead of going to the ground it returns to the slot.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 9, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TraderStav posted:

I have a Quest on the way but see that with the additional cable you can run PCVR games. Is my GTX 760 enough to play something like Tetris Effect or am I poo poo out of luck until I upgrade my GPU?

970 is the bare minimum for most stuff, I’m afraid.

Can’t hurt to try though :iiam:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the bare minimum eventually got cut down to a 960 when reprojection magicks got developed, but yeah a 760 is probably not gonna fly. nobody even tests against that

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Bah, I figured as such. A 1050 in my GPU Thunderbolt Dock is not likely to be good enough either I imagine.

What is it about VR that makes it so much more intensive? Feels to me like it's a smaller display at roughly the same resolutions I'm putting out. This is a question born from pure ignorance on the topic.

Depending on how much we enjoy the Quest I will start piecing together a proper solution over the next year perhaps.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I saw this on Reddit and I’m super jazzed about it. https://www.reddit.com/r/TinkerPilo...utm_name=iossmf

We need more cockpit flying games.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

TraderStav posted:

Bah, I figured as such. A 1050 in my GPU Thunderbolt Dock is not likely to be good enough either I imagine.

What is it about VR that makes it so much more intensive? Feels to me like it's a smaller display at roughly the same resolutions I'm putting out. This is a question born from pure ignorance on the topic.

Depending on how much we enjoy the Quest I will start piecing together a proper solution over the next year perhaps.

VR typically has to reach high resolution lens displays at 90fps. It’s a lot more hardware intensive than your average 1080p display.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

TraderStav posted:

The physical size of the display does not matter. The high resolution does. The high framerate matters even more. Best of all is the increased harm of each frame drop.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

VR typically has to reach high resolution lens displays at 90fps. It’s a lot more hardware intensive than your average 1080p display.

Ah, didn't consider the FPS, now I understand. Thanks

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Warbird posted:

Out of curiosity are you two using room scale? I never get that level of immersed in VR, but I also have to do my thing in a level of space that requires me to keep a read on my physical position so I don’t smack a wall or my computer. That does appear to have the side effect of me never getting motion sickness ever, though my brain just might be weird.

I get it now and then in racing sims with the hands on the wheel, when concentrating on a corner or such - It's that point where your brain fills in the blanks while you focus on something moire important that does it for me usually

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

peter gabriel posted:

I get it now and then in racing sims with the hands on the wheel, when concentrating on a corner or such - It's that point where your brain fills in the blanks while you focus on something moire important that does it for me usually

What’s a good racing sim in VR? Is Project Cars worth trying?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Project Cars seems to assume that you have a full steering wheel and pedal setup, and are already an expert race driver. Neither I or a friend that's addicted to Gran Tourismo and Forza type sims could drive it with a controller without constant crashes.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

chaosapiant posted:

What’s a good racing sim in VR? Is Project Cars worth trying?

If you have a wheel and are OK with menus not in VR I would go for Assetto Corsa, it's a few years old so will run well on a lot of PCs and supports modding and there are thousands of mods out there, usually free, I use:

https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/categories/assetto-corsa.1/

The multiplayer is strong on it too, it usually has most people online than the others.

After that Dirt Rally is a good time and Project Cars 2 is really very good for the weather and atmosphere.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

TraderStav posted:

Not only that but you have to render the game twice, one for each eye sliiiggghhhtttllly at different angles so your brain goes 'oh I am here'.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
My default settings in SteamVR for my Index (that is 150% supersampling), the demand is to reach 120 frames per second at close to 5K (total resolution for both eyes). So yeah, I'd say it's demanding.

There's plenty of points where I might want to dial SS back a bit and/or force it to run at 60fps and then reproject to 120fps.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TraderStav posted:

My first VR card was a 1050ti, so it might work, try it! I'm not sure how a thunderbolt dock would affect things, and if your 1050 isnt a ti, that will make a difference, but it should equate roughly to a 960.

I put a lot of hours in VR on a 1050ti, so dont count it out, its not the best thing on earth, but it will do it

Also, VR is hard on GPUs because aside from the aforementioned high resolutions and framerates, the GPU has to literally render the game twice, once for each eye. VR games have two separate cameras/viewports, the distance between which are defined by your IPD settings in your HMD or software. Imagine having dual monitors, but forcing a game to play two separate copies of itself, one on each monitor, and how much that would kill performance. Nvidia has Single Pass Stereo (SPS) which helps with this, but not all games support it

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 9, 2020

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Not only that but you have to render the game twice, one for each eye sliiiggghhhtttllly at different angles so your brain goes 'oh I am here'.

Ahhhh.. PER EYE, now it's crystal clear for me why it's so resource intensive.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

My first VR card was a 1050ti, so it might work, try it! I'm not sure how a thunderbolt dock would affect things, and if your 1050 isnt a ti, that might make a difference, but it should equate roughly to a 960.

I put a lot of hours in VR on a 1050ti, so dont count it out, its not the best thing on earth, but it will do it

Here is the dock that I have: https://support.lenovo.com/jp/en/solutions/acc500012

Integrated NVIDIA(R) GTX 1050 (4 GB GDDR5) graphics card

Not looking like a Ti. I think I'll just stick with the Quest for now and evolve as needs arise.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I have a 2080ti and some stuff still suffers, but at that point I think it's lack of optimisation, looking at you Assetto Corsa Competizione :negative:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TraderStav posted:

Ahhhh.. PER EYE, now it's crystal clear for me why it's so resource intensive.

Here is the dock that I have: https://support.lenovo.com/jp/en/solutions/acc500012

Integrated NVIDIA(R) GTX 1050 (4 GB GDDR5) graphics card

Not looking like a Ti. I think I'll just stick with the Quest for now and evolve as needs arise.

Well, the 4GB 1050 is definitely the TI memory amount, but it might be a mobile chip? If you're buying a quest, just get the link cable too and try it, cant hurt and it opens up a huge amount of PCVR stuff that isnt on the quest.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Well, the 4GB 1050 is definitely the TI memory amount, but it might be a mobile chip? If you're buying a quest, just get the link cable too and try it, cant hurt and it opens up a huge amount of PCVR stuff that isnt on the quest.

Will do! It is likely a mobile variant given the form factor of the dock. Can't hurt to try with what I already have!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TraderStav posted:

Will do! It is likely a mobile variant given the form factor of the dock. Can't hurt to try with what I already have!

It looks like a full fat 1050 chipset just on a proprietary card design, see this dude here:
https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/unboxing-lenovo-thunderbolt-3-graphics-dock/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

peter gabriel posted:

It happens to me sometimes in iracing. It's only fleeting but it feels really good when my brain says "wow, this is real."

peter gabriel posted:

I have a 2080ti and some stuff still suffers, but at that point I think it's lack of optimisation, looking at you Assetto Corsa Competizione :negative:

It's not just your GPU. Your CPU has to build the scene for the GPU to render as well as run everything else. So if your CPU isn't keeping up, then that will cause frames not to be made in time.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

It looks like a full fat 1050 chipset just on a proprietary card design, see this dude here:
https://egpu.io/forums/thunderbolt-enclosures/unboxing-lenovo-thunderbolt-3-graphics-dock/

Interesting, realistically speaking, if I could get Tetris Effect to work, I'd be happy as hell. MAYBE it won't look like absolute poo poo. Will look forward to trying this out in a week or so.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Speaking of racers, is there a good arcadey, Forza/Burnout style VR racing game out there yet, or is Distance still the only one?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Cojawfee posted:

It happens to me sometimes in iracing. It's only fleeting but it feels really good when my brain says "wow, this is real."

It's not just your GPU. Your CPU has to build the scene for the GPU to render as well as run everything else. So if your CPU isn't keeping up, then that will cause frames not to be made in time.

I have a 3900x Ryzen at the mo, it's a good chip, the complaints I do have are really minor, overall really happy with it :)

TraderStav posted:

Interesting, realistically speaking, if I could get Tetris Effect to work, I'd be happy as hell. MAYBE it won't look like absolute poo poo. Will look forward to trying this out in a week or so.

I'll be really interested to hear how you do, keep us posted!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Speaking of racers, is there a good arcadey, Forza/Burnout style VR racing game out there yet, or is Distance still the only one?

Not quite what you are after (I would kill for VR Buirnout or Ridge Racer) but ther are some options like Redout (Wipeout like)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/517710/Redout_Enhanced_Edition/

I have had some fun with that, and also Grip (Rollcage like)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/396900/GRIP_Combat_Racing/

I haven't bought this yet but it got my attention

If there was a Daytona type game, anything like that I'd be all over it