Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

Is there a record anywhere of the monthly global death rates for the last few years that can be compared to this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So Bernie quit today. This is the worst day of my life since 3 weeks ago my wife contracted normal flu but we didn't know what the gently caress she got. I need a pick me up. Somebody put BoJo on ventilator please.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

what numbers are even so wildly incorrect that people are freaking out?

Yuli Ban
Nov 22, 2016

Bot
The CDC has a new report claiming that the early R0 value of Covid-19 was WAY, WAY, WAY higher than anybody suspected.  They estimate it to be between 3.8 and 8.9, with their median estimate of 5.7!:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/7/20-0282_article

Clarification:  It was written by researchers at Los Alamos National Lab, but posted to CDC's infectious disease website.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

nobody likes a chip and dip anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQh_fSkHd80

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Farm Frenzy posted:

if you click the lil ? by their name you can see them making normal cspammer posts ITT but i cant tell if theyre trolling or trying to make a weird point

I'm asking a serious question. I'm not trying to come across as a CHUD. I personally think that social distancing is a necesary evil.

What I'm questioning is the people ITT who seem to think that social distancing measures don't actually seem to prevent a catastrophic outcome, but that we should still do them anyway. They refuse to believe official data because they're craving an apolcolypse.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

ChipNDip posted:

If it doesn't have an impact, what's the point?

Let's take some time to think about why a bunch of corporate overseers would be very pleased with testing numbers being unreliable and unavailable to the point that it is unable to provide evidence for the effectiveness of isolation and all the slaves go back to work.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

ChipNDip posted:

I'm asking a serious question. I'm not trying to come across as a CHUD. I personally think that social distancing is a necesary evil.

What I'm questioning is the people ITT who seem to think that social distancing measures don't actually seem to prevent a catastrophic outcome, but that we should still do them anyway. They refuse to believe official data because they're craving an apolcolypse.

Mods please probe this idiot for not being able to read.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ChipNDip posted:

The "18 months of social isolation is the only cure" is pointing me in that direction. That's going to probably kill millions anyway with health effects stretching out for decades. Loneliness, sedentary life, and poo poo diet are the biggest killers we know of, and we're now putting the entire country down that path.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

my wah-wah pedal is a mobile morgue

:regd10:

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

D1E posted:

You don't seem to even UNDERSTAND why social distancing is required: to decrease infection spread in order to dampen the immediate impact to hospitals/etc. in order to hopefully allow them to be able to provide care to more affected individuals, rather than to not be able to meet patient demand due to overcrowding.

It is having an impact.

That has absolutely nothing to do with the death numbers bring underreported.

Lurk more and read about this stuff, rather that betray your complete ignorance.

Yes, I agree that they are having an effect. People ITT are arguing that they aren't. That's what I'm trying to say.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

ChipNDip posted:

what is the difference between 1 million and 3 million my dude

blandular
Aug 22, 2004

friendly 2 da void posted:

hows your bean stocks? you smoke a bowl recently? we can fix this.

bean stocks are ample and victory garden is growing. don't smoke, but kinda wish i did. can't drink, ruined that for myself. I think for the first time since i've quit that though i find myself hankering for some. free time and society collapsing will do that to you, i guess

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

https://twitter.com/MoscowTimes/status/1248056282818412553

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

The "18 months of social isolation is the only cure" is pointing me in that direction. That's going to probably kill millions anyway with health effects stretching out for decades. Loneliness, sedentary life, and poo poo diet are the biggest killers we know of, and we're now putting the entire country down that path.

18 months of total lockdown would absolutely loving destroy people, yes. Re-opening barbershops and gyms and letting people go to the loving park isn't the same as having massive festivals and conventions.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

Jonny 290 posted:

what is the difference between 1 million and 3 million my dude

2 people

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

ChipNDip posted:

governments are lying about the numbers because they want to end social distancing. if you doubt the numbers you should want more distancing. thats it. the people who think that were all doomed anyway are jsut lovely posters and its ok to scroll past them

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

ChipNDip posted:

are you familiar with the germ theory of disease

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

Farm Frenzy posted:

governments are lying about the numbers because they want to end social distancing. if you doubt the numbers you should want more distancing. thats it. the people who think that were all doomed anyway are jsut lovely posters and its ok to scroll past them

What makes you think governments want to end social distancing?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
New York City, on average, sees 157 deaths a day. Yesterday, they reported over 800 and are planning on turning Central Park into a mass graveyard.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

ChipNDip posted:

18 months of total lockdown would absolutely loving destroy people, yes. Re-opening barbershops and gyms and letting people go to the loving park isn't the same as having massive festivals and conventions.

If you want to get your hair cut that bad just grab some scissors and a mirror, sheesh.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

ChipNDip posted:

LOL

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

ChipNDip posted:

Desire for bloodletting

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

less than 20 to go til US number is bigger than Spain number, its happening today folks

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

ChipNDip posted:

LMAO.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

ChipNDip posted:

trump and other people hooked into conservative media whining about the economy

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Eleanor Pwnsevelt posted:

Is there a record anywhere of the monthly global death rates for the last few years that can be compared to this year?

For the US, it's here.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/68/wr/mm6826a5.htm

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

ITT: People who've never heard of the shock doctrine.

Farm Frenzy posted:

trump and other people hooked into conservative media whining about the economy

Trump is a dullard who doesn't "get it" until someone takes him aside and explains to him that he needs to shut the gently caress up. The real players in the economy absolutely love this poo poo. Permanent "social distancing" is like a dream come true for actual capitalists and movers/shakers.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

sars fatality rates with measles r0 we're dooooooomed (from famine and civil war)

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ChipNDip posted:

Most american already spent years living a sedentary life, and eating poo poo food. That literally is our American culture, eat too much, sit down and dont move, its been our MO for decades.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Zyme posted:

lol 22k new cases showing in Nevada. probably a typo or something
I think a bunch of the backlog got cleared, a county near me more than doubled their case count today

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

ChipNDip posted:

One village in Italy is not an entire country.

If 1% of the population is going to die, then again, what is the loving point of doing anything? My point is how can you simaltaneously believe that the government is going to lie and cover up numbers, but also support draconian measures to stop the spread?

governments aren't even going to necessarily lie with a conscious choice. new york city is experiencing 10x the number of people dying at home every day as they do in a typical day, but tests are limited and do you waste a test on a dead person or do you use it on someone alive where the result may change the course of their treatment?
https://gothamist.com/news/surge-number-new-yorkers-dying-home-officials-suspect-undercount-covid-19-related-deaths

they do plan on eventually adding in the probable covid-19 deaths of people that died at home, but at this point, since those deaths aren't being tested for covid-19, they aren't being reported as such, so they get lost. you don't need the government to lie and cover up with intent if the test kits are limited enough that they have to choose between testing someone dead and someone alive. the numbers of deaths are a massive undercount, social distancing works, both are true.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

ChipNDip posted:

I dunno if you're being ironically dumb or actually this dumb, but holy gently caress.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turtle Sandbox posted:

Most american already spent years living a sedentary life, and eating poo poo food. That literally is our American culture, eat too much, sit down and dont move, its been our MO for decades.

Hey now, we also consume meaningful entertainment content

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

ChipNDip posted:

No, I think people here sound completley loving deranged. They somehow believe that social distancing measures aren't actually doing anything, but also that they should go on for several months/years.

believing they're "doing something" and believing they will fix 100% of the situation are two different things chip

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

ChipNDip posted:

Which is it: Does social distancing work, or doesn't it?

Social distancing can work at the same time we're under testing how is this so difficult for you

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
https://twitter.com/redditships/status/1247895025788137474

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

ChipNDip posted:

One village in Italy is not an entire country.

If 1% of the population is going to die, then again, what is the loving point of doing anything? My point is how can you simaltaneously believe that the government is going to lie and cover up numbers, but also support draconian measures to stop the spread?

This is a wonderful inversion of the China heckling. Governments need not lie, only not ascertain the truth, it doesn't require resources (even if they wanted to know it'd be costly) and looks good for them by the numbers. Ofc they also can't let a disease rip through their population as it is too destabilizing, leading to economic loss of not just output but human resources which take decades to cultivate. Therefore they are unwilling to spend the money to contain it but equally unwilling to bear the cost of unleashing it. This is untenable of course, just look at unemployment. This is why direct money transfers and subsidizing small business became super prominent. In short, short term thinking still dominates and we live in interesting times.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

ChipNDip posted:

Trump is a dullard who doesn't "get it" until someone takes him aside and explains to him that he needs to shut the gently caress up. The real players in the economy absolutely love this poo poo. Permanent "social distancing" is like a dream come true for actual capitalists and movers/shakers.

how? what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

ChipNDip posted:

Please, continue...