Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

this is my first time discovering this guy, and i'm sure the jokes been made a thousand times before, but he sounds like he comes from page 99 of the 2nd edition monster manual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

my man sounds like he's usually encountered leading a group of 2d4 swamp ogres

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

What does that mean for the non-sciencey among us?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Can someone smart make someone not smart (like me) understand this?

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Colorado is going blue no matter what, so I'm still writing in Bigfoot for president. Now the VP, I'm still hammering out who to write in. Leaning towards Mothman as of late.

I'll take my sweet rear end time researching all the down ballot folks and vote as progressively as possible, thanks to my ability to sit on my rear end and mail my ballot in (thanks CO). Frankly, down ballot is just as important, if not moreso, especially if you live in a conservative suck town like Colorado Springs like my dumb rear end. I can't imagine trying to research all those candidates for local gov positions again while voting in a goddamn booth. And I'll happily vote against a conservative for judge or sheriff or whatever.

the google doc in the OP may have some suggestions too:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3914989

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

R0 is the expected number of cases that can result from a single case when everyone is vulnerable. This means that every sick person gets six other people sick according to this analysis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_reproduction_number

5.7 is a crazy high R0.

EDIT: Note that the wikipedia article gives the R0 of COVID-19 as lower than 5.7.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

R0 refers to how many people an infected person subsequently infects. Models were built on an r0 of 2.5 or so, that is that someone infects on average 2 and a half people. Turns out that's less than half the actual observed r0, so this thing is actually infecting a lot more people than we expected. That means that for herd immunity, vaccination, etc. our models way undershot and it's going to be worse/take longer than previously expected.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

NOT a doctor.

My understanding is that the rate of infection is now believed to be 5.7. As in ONE infected person will infect 5.7 people. Previously agencies have said that the number was more like 2. A number of 2 drove them to do social distancing, close "non-essential" places, etc.

5.7 means China lifting the lock down on Wuhan is VERY bad.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

So it's less of an exponential line, and outright vertical.

gently caress

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

It means a whole lot of people are gonna get the rona

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Doc Hawkins posted:

my man sounds like he's usually encountered leading a group of 2d4 swamp ogres

Ed O is worth turning (volume) up whenever he's got a mic in front of him.

e: Also, am I understanding that the commonly accepted incubation period is now 21 days? (not from the stuff just posted, just wondering where we're at)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

R0 refers to how many people an infected person subsequently infects. Models were built on an r0 of 2.5 or so, that is that someone infects on average 2 and a half people. Turns out that's less than half the actual observed r0, so this thing is actually infecting a lot more people than we expected. That means that for herd immunity, vaccination, etc. our models way undershot and it's going to be worse/take longer than previously expected.

Note this is extremely situationally dependent, and what the paper describes is most relevant for describing the early outbreak in China and not necessarily the behavior in other areas. For example, the authors state: "Among many factors, the lack of awareness of this new pathogen and the Lunar New Year travel and gathering in early and mid-January 2020 might or might not play a role in the high R0." If you looked at the number based solely on that woman in South Korea that infected multiple churches, the R0 would be 1,000.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Fallom posted:

Note this is extremely situationally dependent, and what the paper describes is most relevant for describing the early outbreak in China and not necessarily the behavior in other areas. For example, the authors state: "Among many factors, the lack of awareness of this new pathogen and the Lunar New Year travel and gathering in early and mid-January 2020 might or might not play a role in the high R0." If you looked at the number based solely on that woman in South Korea that infected multiple churches, the R0 would be 1,000.

Yeah that's definitely worth keeping in mind before you get too worried.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Fallom posted:

Note this is extremely situationally dependent, and what the paper describes is most relevant for describing the early outbreak in China and not necessarily the behavior in other areas. For example, the authors state: "Among many factors, the lack of awareness of this new pathogen and the Lunar New Year travel and gathering in early and mid-January 2020 might or might not play a role in the high R0." If you looked at the R0 based solely on that woman in South Korea that infected multiple churches, the R0 would be 1,000.

Yeah this is the big question and why that study has such a wide R0 confidence interval. The Chinese data is bad because of their rampant lying (though the propaganda likely didn't start before this data came in) and nobody knowing what this thing was to start with. I'm really curious as to what ours will be, even though our data is bad due to poo poo testing (which is getting better!).

brains
May 12, 2004

Midjack posted:

R0 is the expected number of cases that can result from a single case when everyone is vulnerable. This means that every sick person gets six other people sick according to this analysis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_reproduction_number

5.7 is a crazy high R0.

EDIT: Note that the wikipedia article gives the R0 of COVID-19 as lower than 5.7.

Mr. Nice! posted:

ASAPI posted:

NOT a doctor.

My understanding is that the rate of infection is now believed to be 5.7. As in ONE infected person will infect 5.7 people. Previously agencies have said that the number was more like 2. A number of 2 drove them to do social distancing, close "non-essential" places, etc.

5.7 means China lifting the lock down on Wuhan is VERY bad.
for the most part this is correct but there is a very important distinction to be made: this is the supposed r0 with no mitigation. what that means is that yes, with one person infected, in a business-as-normal environment, the odds are likely they will infect 5.7 other people. but this is not accurate, since social distancing, shelter-in-place, enforced curfews, contact tracing, and a host of other mitigation efforts are in place, and each one is designed to incrementally reduce the effective r0 value.

there is also the (worldwide) problem with quality of data sets. a lot of cases are under-reported, testing varies wildly, quality of testing, etc, so these studies are struggling for lack of reliable data.

no matter what, the r0 value shows that lifting the lockdown is a pipedream for the foreseeable future. it also dramatically raises the requirements for herd immunity (up to 82% of total population, if accurate).

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

brains posted:

for the most part this is correct but there is a very important distinction to be made: this is the supposed r0 with no mitigation. what that means is that yes, with one person infected, in a business-as-normal environment, the odds are likely they will infect 5.7 other people. but this is not accurate, since social distancing, shelter-in-place, enforced curfews, contact tracing, and a host of other mitigation efforts are in place, and each one is designed to incrementally reduce the effective r0 value.

there is also the (worldwide) problem with quality of data sets. a lot of cases are under-reported, testing varies wildly, quality of testing, etc, so these studies are struggling for lack of reliable data.

no matter what, the r0 value shows that lifting the lockdown is a pipedream for the foreseeable future. it also dramatically raises the requirements for herd immunity (up to 82% of total population, if accurate).

don't worry, WaPo and the NYT aren't amplifying the white house's claim that this thing might be cresting right now

welp

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Anyone that payed even a small amount of attention to how quickly it spread and how well it spread should not be surprised. It's the morons that tried to act like it was nothing and everything is fine that got so many more people infected and killed.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ded posted:

Anyone that payed even a small amount of attention to how quickly it spread and how well it spread should not be surprised. It's the morons that tried to act like it was nothing and everything is fine that got so many more people infected and killed.

And they’ll do it again in just a couple of weeks!

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

ded posted:

lol number went up on the day the US had the most deaths in 24h so far (that will go up every day for a bit). the number demands a blood sacrifice. politicians dont loving care

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Despite the fact that NZ has had falling new cases for a few days, we are now enacting full quarantine for ALL returnees rather than just self isolation.

I'm truly sorry for all the people who are gonna die.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Small thing to add: R0 is pronounced "R-naught", in case you hear them talking about it on the radio.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
R-so

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Estimated R0 is weird because it includes environmental data. So an estimated R0 for a disease outbreak in nowhere Nevada while everyone is locked in their homes is less than than the estimated R0 for the same disease in a highly dense industrial town before its understood. This just tells us the transmission in Wuhan, assuming the methods are sound, was more explosive than originally thought.

Since our current action and is based on a lot more data than that, including observing its effects globally and in the US, it mostly means that the original obfuscation was even more detrimental, and provides explanatory value on how it originally spread so quickly. Because the environment that you're probably concerned about is different, it doesn't mean much. The appropriate response or an assessment of its threat in any particular case isnt really altered.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/npratc/status/1247988083376549888

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Didn’t you hear? This was no big deal and we can all go back to work next week. Case closed!

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.
Well that's one way to juke the stats.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

I don't think so, outside some C-SPAM pollyannas. It would have been personally gratifying to see him use Biden as a punching bag right up to the nomination, though.

this wouldn't have happened regardless, bernie has said that he likes biden.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

what the gently caress

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Mission Accomplished!

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
"no new covid-19 cases but these pneumonia deaths sure are high this year!"

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

PookBear posted:

this wouldn't have happened regardless, bernie has said that he likes biden.

Bernie's been in politics long enough that he knows that he has to support Biden because Trump is really that bad. He doesn't have the luxury of avoiding practicality because he's actually one of the elected people in charge of the system. We fearless internet posters have the luxury of being free to whittle the system into something less evil in the coming decade.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

not caring here posted:

"no new covid-19 cases but these pneumonia deaths sure are high this year!"

Yup. Empire in decline poo poo

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Bernie's been in politics long enough that he knows that he has to support Biden because Trump is really that bad. He doesn't have the luxury of avoiding practicality because he's actually one of the elected people in charge of the system. We fearless internet posters have the luxury of being free to whittle the system into something less evil in the coming decade.

he didn't ever call him out on basic policy positions

he apologized to biden over an op ed pointing out the connection between his donors and the policies he pushed

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

ded posted:

This is what bothers me down here in FL. For every person in a mask keeping distance, there are ten motherfuckers all up on each other braying loudly. My fuckin' idiot neighbors across the street are having people over to party more often and the mother is a flight attendant. We saw more traffic and people out and about today than anytime last week.

Just thinking about asymptomatic spread has us at work scared to death. We could have already hosed the people we serve without knowing it, even taking every precaution. Scrub the van and stretcher between patients, change the sheet on the stretcher at the same time, wearing gloves and masks (which we have to beg from anyone we can 'cause, lol, there are none to be bought), going nowhere except to work and home, etc. Our business has gone to essential-to-life appointments only weeks ago. That last part might even make things worse, as it's all nursing homes to dialysis centers. We can't even get tested without symptoms because we are just transport, not actually medical workers. I can go on and on but why. Better us that take care than someone who won't.

This is gonna be so bad but I hope it's not.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

everything is extremely good right now

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

cdc posted:

CDC issues new guidelines for essential workers who have been exposed to coronavirus

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Dr. Robert Redfield issued new guidelines for essential workers who have been exposed to the coronavirus, saying individuals would need to be asymptomatic to return to work

The guidelines, he said, are aimed at keeping essential workers, including first responders, health care workers, employees in the food supply chain and others at work -- even if they might have been exposed to someone who has coronavirus.
"“These are individuals that have been within six feet of a confirmed case or a suspected case so that they can, under certain circumstances, they can go back to work if they are asymptomatic,” Redfield said. "

Redfield said those individuals could return to their jobs if they take their temperature before work, wear a face mask at all times and practice social distancing at work.

He reiterated that people should stay home if they feel sick, should not share items used on or near their face and should refrain from congregating in break rooms and other crowded places.

The CDC’s new guidelines also outlined steps employers should take, including checking temperatures before employees start work, sending anyone who becomes sick home and cleaning commonly touched surfaces more frequently, among others.

They want more people infected. They know that people exposed and not symptomatic can pass it on.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The only silver lining with you know who at the helm is it could be worse. I don't see any chance their rhetoric would change at 20% instead of 2. A god drat death cult.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

ded posted:

They want more people infected. They know that people exposed and not symptomatic can pass it on.

It's killing people conservatives hate. This is intentional, btw. The feds are stealing states own medical supplies.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

ded posted:

The hospitals here in Boston are full of COVID cases. Like they just converted the last trauma ICU over to a COVID floor so tough poo poo if you get injured. At one point last week close to 10% of the medical staff at one hospital was in isolation due to exposure and we're still a week or two out from the peak. This is a "we're about to get Italy style hosed and it's time to take some risks" sort of decision.

EDIT: This is on top of spotty food supplies in grocery stores. All the critical life supporting systems & supply chains are under stress right now and the safety margin for taking critical workers out of circulation is something that we sadly can't currently afford in certain places. In other words, for hard hit areas, it's the right call. For less hard hit areas, it's the wrong call. But if I'm the CDC, I'd be focusing on making sure the hard hit areas don't tip over to catastrophe with the hope that the lag time before it hammers the rest of the country means that the much belated preparations in terms of supply chain resilience and extra hospital capacity start kicking in to compensate for the increased numbers of critical workers that will end up getting sick from this decision.

wins32767 fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i hate it here