Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

The Slaughter posted:

I finished IOE today with my line check. Actually had a great landing with a nasty crosswind in San Diego, and a big wind shift at 200 feet "Oh hello, time to get lined up with the runway again."

Did you guys do the ILS to 9? I live about 45 minutes north of the city by CRQ and it's been pouring here all day. If you haven't been into KSAN before, it's quite a cool approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

The Slaughter posted:

I finished IOE today with my line check. Actually had a great landing with a nasty crosswind in San Diego, and a big wind shift at 200 feet "Oh hello, time to get lined up with the runway again."

Congrats man. A sliver of good news in the darkest timeline.

I was awarded two months of paid time off at home today for May & June thank god.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.
And furlough cancelled! Well, deferred, as part of the Canadian Federal Government's wage subsidy program! I mean, 75% of my meager first year flat pay is not optimal, but beggers can't be choosers. Beats unemployment. Keeps me on benefits. Continue to accrue time to step up to the next pay step. No idea if I'll have to switch birds in the upcoming mass shuffle of an equipment bid but I think I'm safe on the A330. I'll definitely complain slightly less about paying my taxes next year :canada:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/air-canada-hiring-wage-subsidy-1.5525926

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

That's got to be a real relief, for sure. The company I work at has all but shut down, my last day of work was the 16th of March, and we just got layoff notice today officially. I'm gonna be fine in the short term, I did what all the old salts tell you and had an emergency cash fund of a year's worth of expenses, plus I am eligible for CERB as well, so that's gonna help.

In the meantime, I'm just going to try to stay positive, get some exercise, cook some new things and drill myself on French, since I figure that being at least conversant would be an asset if/when Little and/or Big Maple Leaf and The Other Guys start hiring again. Between the end of this pandemic and then, well...I will worry about that when the time comes.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

MrChips posted:

That's got to be a real relief, for sure. The company I work at has all but shut down, my last day of work was the 16th of March, and we just got layoff notice today officially. I'm gonna be fine in the short term, I did what all the old salts tell you and had an emergency cash fund of a year's worth of expenses, plus I am eligible for CERB as well, so that's gonna help.

In the meantime, I'm just going to try to stay positive, get some exercise, cook some new things and drill myself on French, since I figure that being at least conversant would be an asset if/when Little and/or Big Maple Leaf and The Other Guys start hiring again. Between the end of this pandemic and then, well...I will worry about that when the time comes.

Do you already live in Canada?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Rolo posted:

Do you already live in Canada?

Have done all my life, my dude.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

MrChips posted:

My dumb rear end tapped my emergency fund for a downpayment on a YYZ condo last year and has only partially replenished it so I'm pretty stoked about the CEWS and CERB. Legit proud of how the government (both federal and provincial) are handling this whole mess.

As for the French, its an asset for sure, but from what I can gather nobody really cares when it comes to the pilots. I'm like, somewhat bilingual. My french improves the more I drink, but even sober me can get do PAs in French, and literally nobody seems to care at all.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Baby's first 7600 today. Feels like the Harrier has been trying to screw me more as of late.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
did you get to land with the light gun?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
No and I'm bummed about it, I was receive-only and had to ident my way home.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
I'm getting May off with 55 hours of pay, along with 5,000+ other pilots at my airline. I still have to work the end of my last April trip which will carry into May meaning I'll be getting almost %90 of my paycheck for only working 2 days next month. I never thought I'd be getting 6 weeks of paid vacation in my first year at a new airline. Thanks coronavirus?

overdesigned posted:

Feels like the Harrier has been trying to screw me more as of late.

Considering it has a reputation for trying to kill pilots I would think that merely getting screwed isn't that bad.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I'm effectively getting May off with full pay (I'll probably end up working less than 10 legs in April), since they bumped me to reserve, and the 70-80% cut in flying means I'm probably not going to get tagged to actually work.

Our parent airline is now saying "when" not "if" they furlough people, but since we're actually taking their flying (doing long flights with 8 passengers in an E-175 loses a hell of a lot less than a 737 does), we may be the least-hosed regional out there at the moment.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
I'm making the jump of doing my Military Competency-commercial. I've tried googling this but most of my responses just end back at airlinepilotforums with no resolved answers:

If I do my MilComp now, I should receive (among other ratings) Powered Lift Commercial from my V-22 time. Per the document I'm linking below, it looks like I should also get multiengine commercial because of that?

http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?docId=8900.1%2CVol.5%2CCh2%2CSec15&fbclid=IwAR0gbICZ4cVeAGJlQKCDQ8l6ZSb2trmcbaSwWkxWq47RdY-Qtm2LCcU_ZBI

Is there any currency requirement to obtaining these ratings? I'm coming up on a years since having flown the V-22. Would being more than a year out from it prevent me from getting Powered Lift Commercial and thus ME commercial?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Looking through what you posted and FAR 61.73, the only references I can find to anything resembling currency are the requirement that you'd passed a knowledge test in the preceding 24 months for some situations.

I did run across a paragraph in 61.73 stating that:

The FAA posted:

There is no time limit on being a “current” or “former” U.S. military pilot, instructor pilot, or U.S. military pilot examiner in applying for and being issued a certificate under § 61.73.
which I'd interpret as saying that currency in a given aircraft doesn't matter for getting the certificate issued if you have the proper documentation.

I'd recommend contacting your local FSDO and seeing what they require, since I've run into issues where a FSDO refused to issue a Military Competency certificate for whatever reason, but another FSDO had zero problems issuing it when presented with the exact same paperwork and records.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

azflyboy posted:

I'd recommend contacting your local FSDO and seeing what they require, since I've run into issues where a FSDO refused to issue a Military Competency certificate for whatever reason, but another FSDO had zero problems issuing it when presented with the exact same paperwork and records.

I love how every aviation authority has turf wars and wildly different procedures between different regions/offices. Somehow it's comforting knowing it's not just Transport Canada.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Thanks for the response. Someone said I needed to accomplish the milcomp within a year of my ME/PL time. Sounds like they passed me some bad information.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Recurrent passed, good for another year :toot:

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

PT6A posted:

I love how every aviation authority has turf wars and wildly different procedures between different regions/offices. Somehow it's comforting knowing it's not just Transport Canada.

From my instructor days, friggen TC has different interpretations of instrument time between regional offices. :bang:

The Canadian regs only require you to log the flight rules under which the flight was conducted, not the meteorological conditions. Ontario Region, correctly IMO, lets you log every minute of an IFR flight for the purposes of licenses/ratings. Quebec I believe was okay with air time. Prairie and BC I think wanted a drat stopwatch everytime you were in and out of clouds. I used to teach at a well known Ontario IFR mill that had students from around the country. It was a regulatory shitshow.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

PT6A posted:

The FAA is very good at "left hand has zero clue what the right hand is doing" much of the time.

Back in 2006, someone wanted a more specific definition of "known icing" from a FSDO, and got a response (which the FAA does consider legally binding) that said ""known icing conditions exist when visible moisture or high relative humidity combines with temperatures near or below freezing". Since there were (and still are) zero aviation weather charts, reports, or forecasts that directly report humidity, this technically grounded every single airplane that wasn't approved for flight into icing any time it was humid and cold, and it took the FAA a bit over two years to send out another letter of interpretation saying the first one wasn't valid any more.

At my last instructing job, the chief instructor managed to get the local FSDO to issue a letter of interpretation that essentially banned loading an ILS approach from a GPS database (he was convinced you had to "direct to" the DME source in the GPS, and couldn't load the approach from the database), but I can't find references to it any more, so I assume someone realized it was completely wrong and pulled it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

azflyboy posted:

The FAA is very good at "left hand has zero clue what the right hand is doing" much of the time.

Back in 2006, someone wanted a more specific definition of "known icing" from a FSDO, and got a response (which the FAA does consider legally binding) that said ""known icing conditions exist when visible moisture or high relative humidity combines with temperatures near or below freezing". Since there were (and still are) zero aviation weather charts, reports, or forecasts that directly report humidity, this technically grounded every single airplane that wasn't approved for flight into icing any time it was humid and cold, and it took the FAA a bit over two years to send out another letter of interpretation saying the first one wasn't valid any more.
This would have been technically correct if it gave a temp/dew point spread instead of RH.

quote:

At my last instructing job, the chief instructor managed to get the local FSDO to issue a letter of interpretation that essentially banned loading an ILS approach from a GPS database (he was convinced you had to "direct to" the DME source in the GPS, and couldn't load the approach from the database), but I can't find references to it any more, so I assume someone realized it was completely wrong and pulled it.
That guy sounds like an idiot, the GPS database is literally drawing the course off of the LOC/DME source

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Desi posted:

From my instructor days, friggen TC has different interpretations of instrument time between regional offices. :bang:

The Canadian regs only require you to log the flight rules under which the flight was conducted, not the meteorological conditions. Ontario Region, correctly IMO, lets you log every minute of an IFR flight for the purposes of licenses/ratings. Quebec I believe was okay with air time. Prairie and BC I think wanted a drat stopwatch everytime you were in and out of clouds. I used to teach at a well known Ontario IFR mill that had students from around the country. It was a regulatory shitshow.

Yes, I am also told that the Quebec region does some really odd things as well. For one thing, their standards for instructor flight tests were so high that we actually had someone come from Montreal to do a flight test with our usual examiner. For another thing, I'm told that if you hold an instructor rating, they insist that all flight tests (including IPCs) be done with a Transport Canada inspector rather than a designated examiner.

No one knows where these rules came from but everyone agrees they exist and it's not a figment of our imaginations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

What would you say to someone who's currently looking at a college commercial aviation program? I have a student who's 17 years old and has been accepted into the program pending completion of his PPL, and I don't want to "discourage" him but I also want him to be realistic about the fact we don't know when we'll be able to resume training, we don't know if college will even be an option this fall, and we have no idea what the industry is going to look like when it's all over. I'm trying honesty, but so far it's not going well, the tone of his texts makes me think he resents the "try to finish training, but start considering contingency plans" advice I gave.

Here and elsewhere I've heard people way further into it freaking out about the potential state of the industry, and I myself put flying "on hold" for about a decade because the job market looked like pure poo poo in 2006. I have never been happier that I have a university degree and a trade I can ply from home, even though I terribly miss flying; how do I tell this idealistic, bright-eyed youngster that sometimes the world just loving sucks and fucks you over for no reason and if life is going to give you lemons, you might as well consider buying a lemon-press to be able to make lemonade?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

e.pilot posted:

That guy sounds like an idiot, the GPS database is literally drawing the course off of the LOC/DME source

We argued about that for weeks.

I actually talked to Garmin, since nothing in any of the manuals for the G430 specifically said "The FAA approves shooting an ILS from the database", so I figured Garmin might have some certification paperwork archived somewhere stating that.

It took Garmin a couple of weeks to get back to me, since they had to run the question up the chain at several different departments, and their answer was that the FAA had never specifically approved that, but since the FAA approved the manuals which demonstrated loading an ILS from the database, it was therefore considered legal.

I also spent another few weeks arguing about his insistence that a certain set of the solo landings for a PPL had to be to a full stop, despite the FAR's saying absolutely nothing to that effect.

The guy was an absolute nightmare to work for, but I think he finally quit instructing.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

i am kiss u now posted:

Did you guys do the ILS to 9? I live about 45 minutes north of the city by CRQ and it's been pouring here all day. If you haven't been into KSAN before, it's quite a cool approach.

Nah, we had I think a 2-3 kt tailwind. It's really quite rare for them to use the ILS 9 unless the ceilings get very low (and in that case, thankfully the wind is usually calm). I've yet to land on 9 myself. I have landed east in LAX I think... twice, and twice in SNA. All were weird, weird days.
Sorry to the furloughed. That outcome is veryyyy likely for me in October. The company wanted to save cash so the union let them try to offer less for the surplus lines in May, and do a few rounds of bidding, with the LOA stating that whatever the last best final offer is, is what everybody gets. So instead of the 50 hr SRL, it was lower, and then after getting few takers, round 2 was "40 hrs now, 10 hours in december so you're getting 50 total, but if we go BK, the 10 hours isn't necessarily protected". Still very few takers and so they just ran the bid with like 500 people on leave instead of 3000, I dunno what the final number was, but not great. In my base/seat/equip we'd normally be about 189 bidders. We have 153 bidders for 54 total lines. I'm like #142, so not even close to a line, and I don't want to go to my crashpad right now at all because social distancing. I can't believe they're going to have 99 people sitting on reserve for May, but here we are.

The Slaughter fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Apr 14, 2020

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

PT6A posted:

What would you say to someone who's currently looking at a college commercial aviation program? I have a student who's 17 years old and has been accepted into the program pending completion of his PPL, and I don't want to "discourage" him but I also want him to be realistic about the fact we don't know when we'll be able to resume training, we don't know if college will even be an option this fall, and we have no idea what the industry is going to look like when it's all over. I'm trying honesty, but so far it's not going well, the tone of his texts makes me think he resents the "try to finish training, but start considering contingency plans" advice I gave.

Here and elsewhere I've heard people way further into it freaking out about the potential state of the industry, and I myself put flying "on hold" for about a decade because the job market looked like pure poo poo in 2006. I have never been happier that I have a university degree and a trade I can ply from home, even though I terribly miss flying; how do I tell this idealistic, bright-eyed youngster that sometimes the world just loving sucks and fucks you over for no reason and if life is going to give you lemons, you might as well consider buying a lemon-press to be able to make lemonade?

There's never a good time to get into the industry. If you start training during the good times by the time you're done those times will have past. If he's set on it, he'll do it, and market conditions or a pandemic aren't going to matter much to him. Just impress upon him that this is all normal, and that once a decade or so the aviation industry will have some kind of pants shittingly terrifying existential crisis. It's never fun, but it sure is interesting!

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

PT6A posted:

What would you say to someone who's currently looking at a college commercial aviation program?

I don't know about Canada but in the US the classic advice to do a degree in something you could deal with doing that isn't aviation while also getting your ratings on the side seems more relevant than ever.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Exactly.

This is an industry that goes through a boom and bust cycle about every decade or so, and you want to go into it with some kind of backup for when (not if) you end up furloughed because oil prices/terrorists/Wall. St/a pandemic collapsed the airline industry again.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

PT6A posted:

Arson Daily posted:

There's never a good time to get into the industry. If you start training during the good times by the time you're done those times will have past. If he's set on it, he'll do it, and market conditions or a pandemic aren't going to matter much to him. Just impress upon him that this is all normal, and that once a decade or so the aviation industry will have some kind of pants shittingly terrifying existential crisis. It's never fun, but it sure is interesting!

I started flying at 17 in 2005 and have thought a lot about this in the last few weeks. What I've realized was that my training could've gone two ways:
-The way it was intended: I finish my PPL in 2006 (as planned), stick with the flight school (whose quality plummeted in just over a year) and get my Instrument probably sometime late 2006/early 2007 (ignoring that, if I didn't have it by about Feb, I'd have been grounded because both 172s were down for a couple months with nobody to fix them), and potentially could've had COMM, Multi, and CFI by early 2008 (JUST in time for the flight school to gently caress off).

Result: There's no 1500 hour rule, so I can probably get on with a regional fast but, using one of my friends who was just ahead of me in the program as a model, do so just in time to get furloughed when the recession hits and go fly CRJs in Nigeria or work at Home Depot. If I stick with it, might have gotten to a major within the last couple years.

-The way it was trending: PPL finished in 2006, bail on the flight school because it sucks, get back in the plane in 2009, take two years to finish IR because I do it Part 61, and finish in September 2011. If I don't eventually get out of it, I might finish COMM in late 2012/early 2013, then Multi and CFI probably mid-to-late 2013.

Result: I have to build the extra time (thanks, Chuck), probably get to be part of the lost generation of pilots who made $20k per year but had to build 1500TT to have the privilege and get to a regional by 2015, and MIGHT have been very senior at a regional OR gotten to a major just in time to get furloughed when COVID hits.

I guess it all comes down to individual hardiness and/or willingness to ride the coaster. I give credit to everybody who has.

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

The Slaughter posted:

... and I don't want to go to my crashpad right now at all because social distancing.

Jesus, if the CDC wants to study transmission of the COVID19 virus, they should watch a bunch of crash pads at The Pavilion or something. Six dudes sitting around in their underwear watching TV, and drinking every night. Catalyzed by an inability to effectively wash dishes, cookware and silverware, randomly heading down the hall to see what the FA's in their pad are doing, occasionally going out into the world at large to bring home the virus from their JFK RON. I'm probably going to get the axe in the next few weeks, but at least I'm at home with the wife being bored.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
I'm now off with pay until June at the earliest :toot: Now if only I could leave my house without feeling guilty.

ausgezeichnet posted:

Jesus, if the CDC wants to study transmission of the COVID19 virus, they should watch a bunch of crash pads at The Pavilion or something. Six dudes sitting around in their underwear watching TV, and drinking every night. Catalyzed by an inability to effectively wash dishes, cookware and silverware, randomly heading down the hall to see what the FA's in their pad are doing, occasionally going out into the world at large to bring home the virus from their JFK RON. I'm probably going to get the axe in the next few weeks, but at least I'm at home with the wife being bored.

Oh man....the stories I have about the pavilion. I even got a $63 check from the class action lawsuit! Does the guy who runs the little convenience mart still end every sentence with the phrase "my friend?"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

sanchez posted:

I don't know about Canada but in the US the classic advice to do a degree in something you could deal with doing that isn't aviation while also getting your ratings on the side seems more relevant than ever.

That's obviously the best advice, now or ever, but I'm more interested in how you might convince someone to take that advice if they don't already see the obvious good sense behind it in the middle of a giant disruption to the industry. Is it just a lost cause?

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

PT6A posted:

That's obviously the best advice, now or ever, but I'm more interested in how you might convince someone to take that advice if they don't already see the obvious good sense behind it in the middle of a giant disruption to the industry. Is it just a lost cause?

If your guy has a true pilot mindset he is already convinced that he is making the right decision. Think of this as a classic goon in the well situation and wish him the best of luck. Or convince him to get an account so we can savage his dumb rear end.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If I could go back I’d 100% get a degree in something like accounting then go fly. I really wish I did that.

That being said I’m not taking out huge loans to go back to school at 33 so :rip:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Arson Daily posted:

If your guy has a true pilot mindset he is already convinced that he is making the right decision. Think of this as a classic goon in the well situation and wish him the best of luck. Or convince him to get an account so we can savage his dumb rear end.

Yeah you're probably right. Combine pilot-brain with teenager-brain and you end up with a mindset that allows you to be very, very confidently wrong about pretty much anything.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Anybody use sporty's FIRC? They're giving it away for free right now

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

PT6A posted:

Yeah you're probably right. Combine pilot-brain with teenager-brain and you end up with a mindset that allows you to be very, very confidently wrong about pretty much anything.

Wait until you add STEM brain to the mix and show them that G1000 airplanes exist

e:

Arson Daily posted:

Anybody use sporty's FIRC? They're giving it away for free right now

I did the American Flyers FIRC and paid $26 bucks so I didn’t have to go to the FSDO. This was made easier by the fact that I did my initial CFI with them so I got the lifetime FIRC for free.

No complaints.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

This is completely unlike any boom/bust cycle that the economy has ever seen before. You can naively pretend like it is, and tell a young person that this is just another part of the cycle, but that's just being dishonest.

All the hotels are closing. All the restaurants are closing. There is nothing left to travel to when the airlines open up again. I can't put it any more simply than that. Start working your fallback plan, whatever it is.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 15, 2020

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
There are still multinational businesses and tourism is more than just hotels and restaurants, which will open again when people start travelling once more.

Won't be immediate but it will pick back up. For someone who is just starting and will take around 2 years to hit the 1500h mins, it just might be enough time to get a pilot job with a regional. A degree on something else is always a good idea, though.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.
Like everything else in our economy we can slowly reopen things like hotels and restaurants with steps to mitigate the spread of covid19. Airliners might be harder than others but things like rapid testing and flying with no middle seat pax can help in the short term until full confidence is rebuilt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Like it or not airline travel is the de facto mode of mass transit over medium to long distances. People will still need to travel for a myriad of reasons and will almost certainly use some form of airline travel to do it.