Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Holy gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Interesting:

https://twitter.com/rcolvile/status/1247808798162591744

https://twitter.com/rcolvile/status/1247810066515984385

https://twitter.com/rcolvile/status/1247811425466269696

I would not draw the same conclusions though ("we can't offer it all at once" is a possible reading and one that is likely to be made explicit as the post-Corbyn left ruminates, but more likely in the immediate term is "people have inchoate desires which lead to contradictory wants when polled this way")

The membership in the Miliband period were also not much more left-wing. Rather, immigration was a higher priority which forced everything else off the table... polls of support for nationalization amongst membership in the early tens still saw v high support

ronya fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 9, 2020

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Lol ronya follows capx ghouls

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
I have @MattSingh_ favourite'd so I periodically check his twitter

I have sufficient distrust of the twitter algorithm that I just browse individual twitters whilst not logged in...

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

OwlFancier posted:

Ultimately for all the platitudes about how people didn't realise what was really essential, I don't think it's going to change. Because people don't want to grapple with actually understanding what essential work means. They don't want to think the world is maintained by people who work for basic subsistence, they certainly don't want to deal with any of the consequences of empowering or even rewarding those people appropriately.

So you'll get claps. And absolutely nothing else. And the clapping will serve exactly the same function as those articles do. As something for people who sit atop the labour of others, to do to make themselves feel good. It is performative appreciation as a vehicle for making the appreciator feel better about themselves, and to diffuse any responsibility they might feel to do anything meaningful. Two minutes on a couple of thursdays to clap and demonstrate your wokeness. That's what the foundation of society is worth.

Even the stuff that is pointing out "Uh hey some people we're treating like garbo are actually really important" are serving to divert the ire from where it should be. Freedland's article is a prime example: He's banging on about how we don't "need" sports and movie stars. Well, yeah, not many people are going to say they're really in need of all that money and stuff, but hardly anyone in the entertainment world at large is commanding that kind of money, relatively speaking. Sure, you've got a tiny cadre of people like Neymar or Messi or Tom Cruise or RDJ - but they're a very small group in comparison to the huge numbers of people in the lower leagues, or the people who can't pick and choose their acting roles, and so on.

Which isn't to say something oughtn't to be done about massive pay for that elite cadre but talking about them in this context is to redirect people's discontent away from the people who command true wealth and power - the government, the corporations, and the billionaires, people who can lose Messi's annual pay packet and not even be aware of it, people like Mike Bloomberg who can piss away orders of magnitude more money than the average celeb will ever see on a vanity Presidential bid and not have it impact his wealth because it's such a pissant sum next to his investments and interest. Even if he spent that amount every year for the rest of his life, and had no further income whatsoever, he'd run out of life decades before he ran out of money.

(Jeff Bezos has well over twice as much money as Bloomberg does lmao)

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I wonder what happens if Bezos or Bloomberg die of Covid?

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Sulphagnist posted:

I have probably gone off the deep end because my theory is that he never was ill and the whole thing has been staged to make him more popular and to immunize him against any criticism over his coronavirus response. Because that was my first thought when he was said to have tested positive. It's not like his carers can go to the press and say he doesn't have coronavirus, that would be illegal.

I agree this is the sort of thing they would do, but I'm not sure they'd be able to keep it from leaking. Like if he's just sitting in Downing Street, then surely it's not illegal for someone at St Thomas' to say "nope, no PM here". And if he is sitting in the hospital playing his gameboy, it would still get out.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bobstar posted:

I agree this is the sort of thing they would do, but I'm not sure they'd be able to keep it from leaking. Like if he's just sitting in Downing Street, then surely it's not illegal for someone at St Thomas' to say "nope, no PM here". And if he is sitting in the hospital playing his gameboy, it would still get out.

I would not put it past him to have deliberately got himself infected in the belief that he would only get a mild case and could say "See, no big deal, back to work". It's consistent with people saying he's Big Strong Man Who Has Never Been Sick.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Josef bugman posted:

Bezos?

An enormous party the likes of which has never been seen on this earth

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Josef bugman posted:

I'm certain Bezos went full bubble boy at some point in January, dude really strikes me as a germophobe (based on absolutely nothing but an impression).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

I would not put it past him to have deliberately got himself infected in the belief that he would only get a mild case and could say "See, no big deal, back to work". It's consistent with people saying he's Big Strong Man Who Has Never Been Sick.

That's a level of forward planning that he's not demonstrated anywhere else. After all we have an indeterminate amount of walking, talking proofs that he both doesn't take sensible precautions and doesn't give a poo poo about consequences scattered around the country.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
https://twitter.com/Lexialex/status/1246990432501772288?s=19

Yes hahaha yes but it's the coronavirus looking in through the window

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's a level of forward planning that he's not demonstrated anywhere else. After all we have an indeterminate amount of walking, talking proofs that he both doesn't take sensible precautions and doesn't give a poo poo about consequences scattered around the country.

Boris 3 weeks ago: [guzzles Coronavirus samples]

.... "Come on, come on, this is taking forever, why am I not ill yet? Ugh this stuff doesn't work"

Boris 1 week ago:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

https://twitter.com/Lexialex/status/1246990432501772288?s=19

Yes hahaha yes but it's the coronavirus looking in through the window

That's got a lot more to do with the FAA making realtime air traffic data available, with the rest of the world relying on turbonerds running transponder receivers - if you look at Flightradar24, which probably has the largest amount of turbonerds supplying it with data (and filters out small private aircraft in the zoomed-out views), you'll see that traffic is still pretty busy across Europe.

e: If anything the US looks pretty quiet compared to Europe right now, but that's because it's early-mid morning in Europe and the middle of the night in the US.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
They must be smug as gently caress right now.

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1247933676874334208

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I wonder why Boris hasn't put out a statement from hospital thanking everyone for their good wishes now that he's apparently doing better. Bit rude.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Necrothatcher posted:

I wonder why Boris hasn't put out a statement from hospital thanking everyone for their good wishes now that he's apparently doing better. Bit rude.

This whole thing does have shades of Konstantin Chernenko. Later on today we'll get a video of Raab propping up a visibly ill Boris at the door of Number 10 as he struggles to clap for the NHS and then he'll be dead by Sunday.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's got a lot more to do with the FAA making realtime air traffic data available, with the rest of the world relying on turbonerds running transponder receivers - if you look at Flightradar24, which probably has the largest amount of turbonerds supplying it with data (and filters out small private aircraft in the zoomed-out views), you'll see that traffic is still pretty busy across Europe.

e: If anything the US looks pretty quiet compared to Europe right now, but that's because it's early-mid morning in Europe and the middle of the night in the US.

I'm also told that a lot of those flights are because airlines are flying empty planes and much of the rest is freight anyway. So i guess the graphic isn't telling us a whole lot, and we'd probably need passenger statistics from the usual places to really see any contrasts.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

The brave noble boris is now not only sitting up, he’s walking around shaking everyone’s hand, and later he’s even leading the ward round

[insert photo of bojo in white coat with doctors looking adoringly at him from behind]

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'm also told that a lot of those flights are because airlines are flying empty planes and much of the rest is freight anyway. So i guess the graphic isn't telling us a whole lot, and we'd probably need passenger statistics from the usual places to really see any contrasts.

The empty planes stuff was the EU having a use-it-or-lose-it policy for takeoff and landing slots (to stop airlines just buying up slots to stop competitors getting them), which they suspended in mid-March. I suppose there's still a bit of shuffling around going on - stuff like maintenance still has to happen - but the level of traffic is spectacularly low.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
I'm glad your beloved prime minister is sitting upright again, Brits.

Here's what I immediately thought of when I read the good news of him sitting upright:

Now you too can imagine your prime minister bravely sitting upright on his deathbed.

CSM fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Apr 9, 2020

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/estwebber/status/1248140419055132672

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

A guy in work says he's looking forward to the weather getting hotter because it will raise our body temperature and kill off any COVID-19 as it can't tolerate temperatures much higher than body temp.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

All these manufacturing companies (including mine) seem to have started making medical visors. I guess because they're fairly simple. Presumably these are only really useful in combination with the good sort of mask?

E: Incidentally, without too much detail as my sector is small and I'm quite easy to doxx, my company's always been very confident in being recession-proof, and proud of not laying anyone off in 2008 - it's been both amusing and unsettling watching the executive go "oh poo poo, this wasn't part of the plan!"

Bobstar fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Apr 9, 2020

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Fun fact, Aberdeen airport was the busiest airport in the whole of the UK on Monday due to all the helicopters to the offshore oil platforms.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

CSM posted:

I'm glad your beloved prime minister is sitting upright again, Brits.
We're very proud. Soon the prime minister will be starting to crawl, maybe we'll even hear his first word. I wonder what it will be.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Working from which home? Their first or second?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

bessantj posted:

A guy in work says he's looking forward to the weather getting hotter because it will raise our body temperature and kill off any COVID-19 as it can't tolerate temperatures much higher than body temp.

Have you asked him why Florida is having a huge outbreak right now? Or why fever is the number one symptom of COVID and yet people die regardless? Or asked where he got the idea that people are warmer in the summer?

I know this would all be pointless, but still

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Tell him to go boil his head OP

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I liked the "positively responding" line about bojo which ranges anywhere from giving a bleary thumbs up to his eye twitching as nurses shout at him

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Communist Thoughts posted:

I liked the "positively responding" line about bojo which ranges anywhere from giving a bleary thumbs up to his eye twitching as nurses shout at him

https://youtu.be/UdWK490JJms

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Before Sunak came on last night, Sky news reported that Johnson was "clinically stable". Then Sunak came on and said he was sitting up in bed and smiling (or something like that) - if so, why was he in ICU taking up a place which a proper person could have?
I think 'clinically stable' is more likely and a careful phrasing.

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

Jippa posted:

They must be smug as gently caress right now.

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1247933676874334208

Six Scottish football clubs have this including my team Dundee who until very recently have had a long history of being run by dreamers and schiesters.

Smug right now but can't see it being much fun playing Celtic seven times a season.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Turns out Boris is far more popular as an insensate block of flesh kept alive by machines than he ever was as a walking talking person. Something for his spin doctors to consider if he survives this.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Before Sunak came on last night, Sky news reported that Johnson was "clinically stable". Then Sunak came on and said he was sitting up in bed and smiling (or something like that) - if so, why was he in ICU taking up a place which a proper person could have?
I think 'clinically stable' is more likely and a careful phrasing.

Sitting up and positively responding.
Aka propped up so he can breath and still responding to stimulus lol

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

bessantj posted:

Are they so close to taking over the world that they're just being open about it now? Can you ask him if it's true the queen's a reptilian too.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
They just need something to say because it could be ages before anything happens either way. I've heard of people dying 10 days into their stay and of people walking out after a whole month. Clinically stable could well be the polite way to say he's idling along just like anyone else in that hospital.

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

"Clinically stable", as in, "chemically inert", as in, "dead".

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Re community support initiatives:

I think this is a difficult area. Many of our local labour party members are involved in all manner of community initiatives (and have been for years) along with people from all political parties and none. Local feeling is definitely that political parties should be kept out of local community matters. We have a group that puts up for town council by-elections routinely on a 'no political parties at a local level' platform and they hold a good proportion of town council seats. Sadly, most of the rest are held by Independents who all seem to be tories.

A for-instance: we had a town council by-election a couple of Christmases ago and the labour candidate was wondering whether she should put in her leaflet that she was assisting at a local Christmas Day free meal event being held by one of the local pubs. We decided not in the end because (a) it was never a labour party initiative to start with (b) people from right across the political spectrum were all helping out at that event, and it was felt that it would put people's backs up rather than aid our cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Necrothatcher posted:

Turns out Boris is far more popular as an insensate block of flesh kept alive by machines than he ever was as a walking talking person. Something for his spin doctors to consider if he survives this.