Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
I love the implication that if you like to knit, clearly you would enjoy spending the rest of your life as a small business owner. You know, stressed and in debt as you attempt to keep from going bankrupt. Never seeing your family because you have to work 90 hours a week to stay afloat. Having to manage a staff. Those are all things I think when I think knitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Lemony posted:

I love the implication that if you like to knit, clearly you would enjoy spending the rest of your life as a small business owner. You know, stressed and in debt as you attempt to keep from going bankrupt. Never seeing your family because you have to work 90 hours a week to stay afloat. Having to manage a staff. Those are all things I think when I think knitting.

Just knit some moneys geez do I have to spell it out for everyone

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Silly Burrito posted:

Just knit some moneys geez do I have to spell it out for everyone

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

It's nice to see people still carding their own wool

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Moon Slayer posted:

Wait, is this a store where you get supplies to get stoned in your bathrobe and eat Cheetos, or a store where you get stoned guys in their bathrobes eating Cheetos?

Yes

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Flint_Paper posted:

It's nice to see people still carding their own wool

Ye', wool makes me cardigan

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Lemony posted:

Not just that, but the owner of a yarn store. Not only are you not knitting, you're spending those 90 hours a week being reminded that someone else is knitting and you're not.

I like writing code, that's why I took a job at Best Buy selling computers.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There's also something to be said for just doing a job for money then using that money to do what makes you happy

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Skwirl posted:

There's also something to be said for just doing a job for money then using that money to do what makes you happy

Yeah, and that something is selling out, maaaaan.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Paladinus posted:

Took some very creative googling, but I've found it!

Ugh, loving comics written by rich failchildren who will never experience consequences for failure because mummy and daddy will always bail them out.

For some reason it brings to mind the article written by some rich idiot who believed there was effectively a global conspiracy of people pretending to be unable to afford to fix an unexpected car problem of more than $500, because who doesn't just have a few thousand lying about.

Webcomics and online opinion articles are the new home of the spoiled child looking down their nose at the rest of the world for not having the foresight of being born into privilege.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Moon Slayer posted:

Wait, is this a store where you get supplies to get stoned in your bathrobe and eat Cheetos, or a store where you get stoned guys in their bathrobes eating Cheetos?

if the latter y'all owe me, like, a hundred dollars

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah, I thought there was something about people telling Odysseus how much the afterlife blows, but I can't remember why Achilles is stuck low key-suffering with the hoi polloi.
He desecrated the poo poo out of Hector's corpse, along with various other minor war crimes along the way. Probably went a good way to cancelling out his low-key divine half.

Achillies was the first not-supposed-to-be-good-guy protagonist, but just like with modern media a lot of people missed the point.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Paladinus posted:

I think the person who wrote this married my brother and is now living with my family while she follows her dream of doing community theater in the middle of Indiana & my folks pay and do labor to fix the pasteboard death trap straight out of a Johnny Dowd song that she acquired... somehow.

She seems extremely happy, so maybe this comic is on to something.

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Ugh, loving comics written by rich failchildren who will never experience consequences for failure because mummy and daddy will always bail them out.

For some reason it brings to mind the article written by some rich idiot who believed there was effectively a global conspiracy of people pretending to be unable to afford to fix an unexpected car problem of more than $500, because who doesn't just have a few thousand lying about.

Webcomics and online opinion articles are the new home of the spoiled child looking down their nose at the rest of the world for not having the foresight of being born into privilege.
Tbf it was probably made by a literal teenager. Teens are supposed to be stupid. If your teen isn't stupid, it is not fulfilling its purpose. Which is to be stupid

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

As we all know, stores that exclusively sell yarn are extremely succesful and the owners famously get to knit all day while the employees get paid, the shelves stay stocked and the books get balanced.

To drat her with faint praise, it's just slightly less psychotic than Zen Pencils' usual life advice. https://zenpencils.com/comic/122-charles-bukowski-roll-the-dice/

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Knormal posted:

He desecrated the poo poo out of Hector's corpse, along with various other minor war crimes along the way. Probably went a good way to cancelling out his low-key divine half.

Achillies was the first not-supposed-to-be-good-guy protagonist, but just like with modern media a lot of people missed the point.

Right, that was it. I half-remembered something about dying and passing over without proper burial rituals but that's nonsense, Achilles' burial (burning?) was a big thing.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

The ancient Greeks didn't have a concept of "sin" and destroying your enemies in brutal ways was definitely not considered wrong. The important thing is to not piss off any gods at least in the myths. Odysseus also meets his mother in the underworld, she didn't do anything wrong.

In the Aenid you have Elysium which is a nice place where heroes get to go. I'm sure in folk beliefs there were nicer things that could happen to you after death too because having only the kind of afterlife you see in the Odyssey to look forward to would be unbearable.

Grevling has a new favorite as of 10:00 on Apr 9, 2020

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Grevling posted:

The ancient Greeks didn't have a concept of "sin" and destroying your enemies in brutal ways was definitely not considered wrong. The important thing is to not piss off any gods at least in the myths. Odysseus also meets his mother in the underworld, she didn't do anything wrong.

They'd also start poo poo with mortals and lesser beings which were too closely matched at any skill, cheat like mofo in the competition, and punish the mortal horrifically anyway, if they managed to still win. Or lose. Because gently caress you I am a god.

They also could not undo each other's curses, so if you pissed off one there was no point trying to plea to the higher gods for any help.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Der Kyhe posted:

They'd also start poo poo with mortals and lesser beings which were too closely matched at any skill, cheat like mofo in the competition, and punish the mortal horrifically anyway, if they managed to still win. Or lose. Because gently caress you I am a god.

They also could not undo each other's curses, so if you pissed off one there was no point trying to plea to the higher gods for any help.

You might get turned into a constellation.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

You might get turned into a constellation.

Yeah maybe you weren't the victor in the battle with the gods but you should enjoy your constellation prize.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Push El Burrito posted:

Yeah maybe you weren't the victor in the battle with the gods but you should enjoy your constellation prize.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoNWwhzh3M

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Traditionally if you want to spend all day wearing a bathrobe getting drunk and open your store whenever you feel like it you open a used bookshop.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Traditionally if you want to spend all day wearing a bathrobe getting drunk and open your store whenever you feel like it you open a used bookshop.

I think you're contractually obligated to wear tweed if you own a used bookshop.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Skwirl posted:

I think you're contractually obligated to wear tweed if you own a used bookshop.

The documentary series I saw on this (Black Books) disagrees.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

grittyreboot posted:

As we all know, stores that exclusively sell yarn are extremely succesful and the owners famously get to knit all day while the employees get paid, the shelves stay stocked and the books get balanced.

To drat her with faint praise, it's just slightly less psychotic than Zen Pencils' usual life advice. https://zenpencils.com/comic/122-charles-bukowski-roll-the-dice/

What’s the moral here? Isolate yourself from others and run into the woods?

What the gently caress?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

N. Senada posted:

What’s the moral here? Isolate yourself from others and run into the woods?

What the gently caress?

It's quoting Bukowski, so it's about becoming a poet/alcoholic alcoholic/poet

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Paladinus posted:

Reads like a pamphlet for college-bound teens in 2005.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The Moon Monster posted:

Reads like a pamphlet for college-bound teens in 2005.

"Oh boy after 3 years of hardship my yarn shop is starting to become profitable! It was a lot of hard work, and im still in some debt, but im turning a positive! 2008 is going to be a great year"

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

mysterious frankie posted:

I think the person who wrote this married my brother and is now living with my family while she follows her dream of doing community theater in the middle of Indiana & my folks pay and do labor to fix the pasteboard death trap straight out of a Johnny Dowd song that she acquired... somehow.

She seems extremely happy, so maybe this comic is on to something.

the secrets to happiness are 1: do what you love, not what makes you money and 2: drain your friends and family dry like a cash vampire so that you don't have to get a job

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Moon Slayer posted:

Yeah, and that something is selling out, maaaaan.

No day but todayyyyyyyy!

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
The problem with Zen Pencils is that it takes itself so loving seriously and tries so loving hard to be deep and transcendent, when the basic point each comic is trying to make could be summed up in a dril tweet.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

cock hero flux posted:

the secrets to happiness are 1: do what you love, not what makes you money and 2: drain your friends and family dry like a cash vampire so that you don't have to get a job

Being anhedonic is defined as having an involuntary shame flinch every time people society assumes you love ask why you’re doing this to them.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Grevling posted:

In the Aenid you have Elysium which is a nice place where heroes get to go. I'm sure in folk beliefs there were nicer things that could happen to you after death too because having only the kind of afterlife you see in the Odyssey to look forward to would be unbearable.

My recollection (I'm phone-posting so it's hard to do actual research) is that this is a substantial part of how Christianity got a foothold. "No, no, our afterlife is actually nice!"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SneezeOfTheDecade posted:

My recollection (I'm phone-posting so it's hard to do actual research) is that this is a substantial part of how Christianity got a foothold. "No, no, our afterlife is actually nice!"

Or in a lot of cases, "It's nice for non-rich people!"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

How bout a comic!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i wanna open a leather shop in arizona

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Or in a lot of cases, "It's nice for non-rich people!"

This was a huge part in the uptake of early Christianity. The poor and women were allowed to take part in it to a far greater extent. You could go to heaven and be favoured by God by being a good person not because of your position in society.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Krankenstyle posted:

i wanna open a leather shop in arizona

You'd be out of business in a week's time

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
There are far too many leather shops in Arizona as it is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Der Kyhe posted:

But you could get other, different curses!

(yes I count "understanding birdsong" as a curse, Tiresias totally had to hear all the birds screaming LET'S gently caress nonstop)