Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

STAC Goat posted:

In hindsight to me the weirdest thing about the Dudleyz is that like no one remembers Big Dick or Sign Guy or that whole thing they were in ECW before Bubba turned heel. That's fine because they were a weird comedy act that probably aged really badly and the Dudleyz were a tremendous heel act. But its weird to me to think that most people don't know he was Buh Buh Ray.

Don't forget the ridiculously racist Dances With.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

oh but seriously I posted:

Terri Runnels was briefly involved. They did the Terri Invitational Tournament. IT'S A TIT JOKE. YOU GET IT?! YOU GETTING IT? IT IS A JOKE ABOUT TITS.

jesus
terri pulled some incredible faces during that groundbreaking tag team ladder match

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

STAC Goat posted:

In hindsight to me the weirdest thing about the Dudleyz is that like no one remembers Big Dick or Sign Guy or that whole thing they were in ECW before Bubba turned heel. That's fine because they were a weird comedy act that probably aged really badly and the Dudleyz were a tremendous heel act. But its weird to me to think that most people don't know he was Buh Buh Ray.

ive watched ecw from that era relatively recently and you are right it does not hold up

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean I don't think it ever really worked. It was a weird undercard comedy act until Devon showed up and Bubba turned and then it was just liek a switch flipped. But its just such a weird way for that team to have started that most fans probably have no idea of.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

TriffTshngo posted:

I seem to remember E&C also being the two guys most often seen in backstage skits with Commissioner Mick Foley, which probably helped speed along their comedy heel personas even more.

Mick, and Kurt Angle. Those four in whatever combination made for comedy gold.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

shiksa posted:

ive watched ecw from that era relatively recently and you are right it does not hold up

Dances With Dudley

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Edge and Christian were sort of treading water from No Mercy 99 to Wrestlemania 2000. They had left the Brood and were just two guys. Not vampires, not comedy jerks. I think Edge's most notable storyline at this point was managing Val Venis sister.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Halloween Jack posted:

No. Gangrel disowned them and they are Caitiff now.

That's not how it works :bahgawd:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Don't listen to this thin-blood.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Why didnt the team of Christian York and Joey Matthew's make it? It seemed like they were on the cusp of landing somewhere around the end of 2000 but then ECW and WCW died and they seemed to just break up and drift off until Matthews got signed by WWE. I definitely think they should have been immediate scoop ups by ROH and TNA in 02.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OFFICER LIGER posted:

Why didnt the team of Christian York and Joey Matthew's make it? It seemed like they were on the cusp of landing somewhere around the end of 2000 but then ECW and WCW died and they seemed to just break up and drift off until Matthews got signed by WWE. I definitely think they should have been immediate scoop ups by ROH and TNA in 02.

They were on both the first ever TNA weekly PPV and on the 2nd ROH show. And then never again for TNA and just 3 more ROH shows. They just didn't do anything memorable in those 4 ROH shows but that doesn't necessarily explain why they didn't get more bookings

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Cameo posted:

“Excuse us, but we have to go do what we in the business refer to as a ‘run-in’”

Heh. They totally stole that from a New Age Outlaws bit.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I watched part of an Al Snow shoot where he commented on the Kurt Angel/Daniel Puder incident and he says that they shouldn't have tried what they did because of the risk to Kurt. I've heard conflicting reports over what actually happened one person says Daniel was out to make a name for himself and another says Daniel was still green and didn't understand the business well enough to be asked to do something like that. Do we know, more or less (or at least as much as you can with wrestling) why the incident turned out like it did and whos "fault" was it?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bessantj posted:

I watched part of an Al Snow shoot where he commented on the Kurt Angel/Daniel Puder incident and he says that they shouldn't have tried what they did because of the risk to Kurt. I've heard conflicting reports over what actually happened one person says Daniel was out to make a name for himself and another says Daniel was still green and didn't understand the business well enough to be asked to do something like that. Do we know, more or less (or at least as much as you can with wrestling) why the incident turned out like it did and whos "fault" was it?

Puders whole thing was being VERY sure of himself but I think knowing what we do about reality TV, that attitude was probably encouraged because it adds intrigue.

I actually agree that asking a bunch of greenhorns to do a segment like that was dumb and reckless because as I understand it they were basically told to legit try to take Angle down. They're lucky nothing REALLY ugly happened.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
poo poo like that and the Brawl For All where they're told to "do it legit" and then punished when they win (I just watched that episode of Dark Side of the Ring; Bart deserved better) is the carniest poo poo in the world.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bessantj posted:

Kurt was told to go out there and shoot on them a bit, and Puder caught him. Pretty simple.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Davros1 posted:

Heh. They totally stole that from a New Age Outlaws bit.

I just like that even as heels about to ruin a match, Canadian politeness still managed to get through with Edge excusing himself from the commentary desk

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
WATCH TOMMY DREAMER, BATTLE "PRIMETIME" BRIAN LEE, IT'S HIGH INCIDENT!

PUBLIC ENEMY VS. THE GANGSTAS AND 911 WITH BILL ALFONSO AS THE SPECIAL REFEREE!

SEE THE HISTORIC BATTLE OF THE BAM BAMS, AS BAM BAM BIGELOW TAKES ON TERRY "BAM BAM" GORDY!

AND FOR THE FIRST TIME, UNEDITED, NEVER BEFORE SEEN... it's the night Kimona Wanalaya...danced atop the ECW Arena.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Randaconda posted:

WATCH TOMMY DREAMER, BATTLE "PRIMETIME" BRIAN LEE, IT'S HIGH INCIDENT!

PUBLIC ENEMY VS. THE GANGSTAS AND 911 WITH BILL ALFONSO AS THE SPECIAL REFEREE!

SEE THE HISTORIC BATTLE OF THE BAM BAMS, AS BAM BAM BIGELOW TAKES ON TERRY "BAM BAM" GORDY!

AND FOR THE FIRST TIME, UNEDITED, NEVER BEFORE SEEN... it's the night Kimona Wanalaya...danced atop the ECW Arena.

Didn’t she just...dance? For like thirty seconds? She didn’t strip or anything? Why the gently caress was this pushed in every single commercial? I remember finally seeing it a few years ago and being flummoxed.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

she stripped

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

bessantj posted:

They had the Tough Enough trainees do some stupid stuff to gas them out and then sent Kurt Angle in to embarrass them. Puder caught a kimura and Angle would never tap so the ref counted a pin that wasn't there on Puder to save Angle's arm.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

bessantj posted:

I watched part of an Al Snow shoot where he commented on the Kurt Angel/Daniel Puder incident and he says that they shouldn't have tried what they did because of the risk to Kurt. I've heard conflicting reports over what actually happened one person says Daniel was out to make a name for himself and another says Daniel was still green and didn't understand the business well enough to be asked to do something like that.
WWE was at fault for putting trainees in that position in the first place. None of the details are important, because there's no detail that could make this anything but a stupid loving idea from the people who had the power and should've known better.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Didn’t she just...dance? For like thirty seconds? She didn’t strip or anything? Why the gently caress was this pushed in every single commercial? I remember finally seeing it a few years ago and being flummoxed.

She did a striptease dance for a few minutes. I'll agree that it's way tamer than expected, but this was the 90s. Footage of the dance wouldn't be readily available, and ECW could advertise it to be lewder than it actually is.

finalcake fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 9, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Paul E knew his audience. There's a reason they advertised that Extreme Warfare Vol.2 tape so much.

(OP forgot to mention the line about "experience the one and only confrontation between Sabu & Lionheart Chris Jericho")

God it just gets embedded in your brain, line by line. In 30 or 40 years I'll be on my death bed & just hear Joey Style's dumb read of that ad with Filter playing in the background

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

forkboy84 posted:

Paul E knew his audience. There's a reason they advertised that Extreme Warfare Vol.2 tape so much.

(OP forgot to mention the line about "experience the one and only confrontation between Sabu & Lionheart Chris Jericho")

God it just gets embedded in your brain, line by line. In 30 or 40 years I'll be on my death bed & just hear Joey Style's dumb read of that ad with Filter playing in the background

:negative:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

They had the Tough Enough trainees do some stupid stuff to gas them out and then sent Kurt Angle in to embarrass them. Puder caught a kimura and Angle would never tap so the ref counted a pin that wasn't there on Puder to save Angle's arm.

Good thing the ref was alert enough to count the pin.

Halloween Jack posted:

WWE was at fault for putting trainees in that position in the first place. None of the details are important, because there's no detail that could make this anything but a stupid loving idea from the people who had the power and should've known better.

Yeah that does seem the biggest point, pretty stupid of the WWE. Thanks for all the repiles.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
For years I thought she was physically on top of the building. Aerial shots and everything.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Angle looked legit pissed when he got in Puder's face after but also Angle is really good at looking pissed so..

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
How long have countouts been a thing in pro wrestling? Obviously pro wresting history is murky at best but I'm curious about it. I've heard tell that Abraham Lincoln, during his time as a wrestler, would famously throw people out of the ring does anyone know if this was viewed as a way to end the match, even if the ten count hadn't been established at that time? I assume we probably don't actually know a ton about this period so as a follow up how far back can we actually prove countouts go as a rule? A quick google search wasn't getting me much in the way of information on this topic, thanks to anyone who might have some information about this!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

reignofevil posted:

How long have countouts been a thing in pro wrestling? Obviously pro wresting history is murky at best but I'm curious about it. I've heard tell that Abraham Lincoln, during his time as a wrestler, would famously throw people out of the ring does anyone know if this was viewed as a way to end the match, even if the ten count hadn't been established at that time? I assume we probably don't actually know a ton about this period so as a follow up how far back can we actually prove countouts go as a rule? A quick google search wasn't getting me much in the way of information on this topic, thanks to anyone who might have some information about this!

In the 1850s a fall would typically be if you could throw your opponent to the ground so going outside whatever the "ring" was at that point wouldn't really come into it. Just that you went down. I think they became a thing in the 1930s. It may have been sooner because people were knocked out or injured going out of rings before that.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 10, 2020

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Golden Bee posted:

For years I thought she was physically on top of the building. Aerial shots and everything.

I thought the same exact thing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I always assumed there was like a crow's nest or observation deck or something? I've never seen it, I don't even know what she looks like but her name has been burned into my brain simply by reading it so often over the years by people making fun of how often it was advertised by Heyman.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Staying true to his carnie roots, Heyman either told her it wouldn't be taped or that it would never be aired.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I always assumed there was like a crow's nest or observation deck or something? I've never seen it, I don't even know what she looks like but her name has been burned into my brain simply by reading it so often over the years by people making fun of how often it was advertised by Heyman.

She was Leia Meow in WCW if you remember the Jung Dragons

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

there's just this big area that could be stood on up above the entry way and stuff but it wasn't really made for that. i don't know what it's for. it's like an uncomfortably high stage that no one can really see up on unless someone is near the edge of it. you could only get there because there were holes in the drywall. and that's where the dancing was. i don't know why. she was dating chris jericho during this time.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Angle looked legit pissed when he got in Puder's face after but also Angle is really good at looking pissed so..
It's always been my understanding that he knew what was going to happen and they didn't. It was stupid fratboy hazing poo poo on live television.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

forkboy84 posted:

She was Leia Meow in WCW if you remember the Jung Dragons

I remember that there was a team called The Jung Dragons, but not anything else about them (and certainly not that they had a.... manager? Valet? female wrestler as a wider part of their stable?) .... was one of them in 3 Count too?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Jerusalem posted:

I remember that there was a team called The Jung Dragons, but not anything else about them (and certainly not that they had a.... manager? Valet? female wrestler as a wider part of their stable?) .... was one of them in 3 Count too?

Jamie Noble (in a mask) was part of The Jung Dragons and after they split up he was in a tagteam with Evan Karagias from 3 Count.

The other two members of Jung Dragons might also be familiar to you. Jimmy "Wang" Yang and Kaz Hayashi

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Jerusalem posted:

I think they were blood enemies with 3 Count. Tank Abbot was somehow involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

oh but seriously I posted:

I think they were blood enemies with 3 Count. Tank Abbot was somehow involved.

As I recall, Tank was a 3 Count fanboy.