Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

justcola posted:

We're at 7000 deaths as of yesterday.

I went to the Guardian and the big headline is that Iran passes 4000 dead. :v:

Edit: Norway reached 104 dead today, still not as many as Sweden loses daily.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Apr 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

learnincurve posted:

School dinner vouchers for mainstream secondary schools just hit email accounts if this applies to anyone.

I could really use some potato smileys and turkey twizzlers in this most trying of times.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

someone photoshop bojos dumb face onto the golden throne from 40k

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Re community support initiatives:

I think this is a difficult area. Many of our local labour party members are involved in all manner of community initiatives (and have been for years) along with people from all political parties and none. Local feeling is definitely that political parties should be kept out of local community matters. We have a group that puts up for town council by-elections routinely on a 'no political parties at a local level' platform and they hold a good proportion of town council seats. Sadly, most of the rest are held by Independents who all seem to be tories.

A for-instance: we had a town council by-election a couple of Christmases ago and the labour candidate was wondering whether she should put in her leaflet that she was assisting at a local Christmas Day free meal event being held by one of the local pubs. We decided not in the end because (a) it was never a labour party initiative to start with (b) people from right across the political spectrum were all helping out at that event, and it was felt that it would put people's backs up rather than aid our cause.

I think there's a vast difference between parties getting involved in community initiatives that already exist, and setting up their own.

I agree that just descending on a non-political initiative and trying to claim credit for it is pretty scummy, so I'm not surprised your candidate didn't make a big deal about that fact that she attended a solitary free meal event run by someone else. But I think it's kind of different if you set something up from scratch yourself, and act as the co-ordinators from the start.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
There's a lot of talk about these initiatives and then I see nothing locally and it's like "are the entire party really as pusillanimous as I am?" I was being emailed by MPs after our loss about "community organising" what happen?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

"mr PM did you want fish fingers for tea or something off the grown ups menu?"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Azza Bamboo posted:

I could really use some potato smileys and turkey twizzlers in this most trying of times.

Would organising everyone on free school meals into taking a picture of their child happily tucking in to potato smiles and turkey twizzlers and sending it to Jamie Oliver be considered targeted harassment?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Decisions like - would you rather drown in pleural fluid or have this hose shoved down your neck?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

learnincurve posted:

Would organising everyone on free school meals into taking a picture of their child happily tucking in to potato smiles and turkey twizzlers and sending it to Jamie Oliver be considered targeted harassment?
Best Jamie Oliver moment was when he tried to put kids off chicken nuggets by showing that they use the poor people parts of the chicken :monocle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKwL5G5HbGA

Can't put kids off chicken nuggets Jamie.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

This is just :barf:

Coronavirus: Arrests after men lick hands and wipe supermarket food

quote:

Police have made two arrests after two men were seen on CCTV licking their hands and wiping them over vegetables, meat and fridge handles in a supermarket.

The men walked into the Sainsbury's store in Lancaster Road, Morecambe, on Saturday afternoon.

Staff were forced to thoroughly disinfect the store and destroy products, Lancashire Police said.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Jose posted:

how much did you pay/where did you get them from?

£30 from amazon. There are much better cheaper models I would have gone for but they are all sold out or won't be available for 6/8 weeks. I searched argos/a load of supermarkets web sites but nothing.

I'm just going to try and shave the sides and the back and just trim the top (which seems do able). It will look like poo poo probably but who cares.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Boris Johnson is in hospital cos he shook hands with a member of the working class

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

All these health updates are really weird and seem primarily concerned with thwarting ongoing leadership challenges by reassuring that he's still in control for sure.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/Lafargue/status/1248202714997092353?s=19

Lmao

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Haha this is getting to 'you can tell the war is going badly because all the glorious victories happen closer and closer to the capital' spin.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Does "mentally able to make decisions" imply "not physically able to make decisions" I wonder?

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Necrothatcher posted:

Turns out Boris is far more popular as an insensate block of flesh kept alive by machines than he ever was as a walking talking person. Something for his spin doctors to consider if he survives this.

PMQs 6 months from now

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

josh04 posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52219930

lol, guess Priti Patel has been excluded from the limelight because she's stubbornly refusing to let go of herd immunity?

She's been dead for weeks. The prospect of increased police powers had the same effect on her as the Anal Intruder had on Nick Rivers' manager in Top Secret - "Our best surgeons worked on her for hours, they just couldn't get the smile off her face".

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Well, I know someone who's happy with this.

Maybe it was him and not Phillip who got reincarnated as the virus.

e: ^^^ I've not watched that in years, going to look for it on Netflix tonight.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Manchester Police angry they weren't invited to any of them.

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
Lol, who knew actions have consequences in a public environment.

Heanor mayor sacked over 'PM deserves this' comments

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Azza Bamboo posted:

I've been clippersing for years. Those bad boys have paid for themselves in haircuts I never had to shell out for.

I started doing this two months ago and how the hell do you do the back properly?

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

I started doing this two months ago and how the hell do you do the back properly?

I'm assuming ^^ does one setting all over. So it's pretty easy, just give yourself a reach around, and check that it feels the same length.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

It's easy. You just need to rely on a little trick I like to call the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Don't worry, most other people are going to have a terrible haircut as well for exactly the same reasons.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

If you do it without a mirror, nobody will ever know how you look anyway.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Sonderval posted:

Lol, who knew actions have consequences in a public environment.

Heanor mayor sacked over 'PM deserves this' comments

She's right though.

We need to end the lockdown as soon as possible to get us back to no growth whatsoever.

quote:

UK economy already flatlining before coronavirus, figures reveal
Stagnation in services sector and winter drop in construction activity hit GDP growth

The British economy went into reverse in February as GDP growth declined by 0.1%, even before the onset of the coronavirus pandemic that brought the country to a halt.
x

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Between the fact I grew my hair out over winter, meaning to get it cut when it got warm, and that I stopped shaving when the lockdown started because who loving cares, I've got a distinct third-tier country-and-western act vibe going on.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Oodles posted:

I'm assuming ^^ does one setting all over. So it's pretty easy, just give yourself a reach around, and check that it feels the same length.

pumpinglemma posted:

It's easy. You just need to rely on a little trick I like to call the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Don't worry, most other people are going to have a terrible haircut as well for exactly the same reasons.

I started doing it because my hair's falling out anyway and there's no point paying a barber anymore to just buzz it. But it still comes through thick on the back and sides (see avatar for accurate representation) so even going over on one setting I seem to get straggly bits on the back of my neck. More practice required I guess. :/

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

sinky posted:

We need to end the lockdown as soon as possible to get us back to no growth whatsoever.

Haha yeah I thought it extremely likely that Q1 was going negative because we had literally no growth in Q4 but I thought that would just be a March slow down, not we were in recession right away and THEN we have covid 19.

Basically the smallest of margins mean we won't be in official recession until Q3 despite there being half the economy shut for at least 2 months.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/HowUpsetting/status/1247850207896842240?s=20

the sheer sickening fawning over our poor stricken prime minister are pushing me into actively hoping he dies because gently caress him and gently caress all of them.

his pals in the lobby are all insisting that we ought to be wishing him well as the top of the news agenda (while they bury casualty figures for his fuckups), but he is pretty much the only person who is ill directly because of his own decisions. Those decisions have or will also put potentially hundreds of thousands of other people into similar positions, and the news is acting like I should personally be wishing him a speedy recovery.

he's just a man, he has no special powers, he was loving this up really badly before ending up quadraspazzed on the life glug and I'm supposed to care about him getting better and back to work more than the other ordinary people who are dead or dying or horribly ill with this disease?

nah

plus it would be an amazing arc from gobshite Brussels reporter to suicide by pandemic and that will be much more interesting in the history books

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

If you want to shave your neck, the space between your thumb and forefinger also makes for a sort of straight line that is sort of the width of your neck. Here is a diagram I spent ages on:

If you want to shave the back and sides of your head, that requires a bit more practice. I'd say start off with finding your crown and then try and clip the hair you don't want to cut away from what you do. If you do it badly you end up with some bits longer than others and end up with a feathered effect, so make sure to go in both directions to get an even length. Also, get some scissors to cut round your ears and get any stray bits after.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

Well, I know someone who's happy with this.

His son isn't though, cant get free holidays for favours now with the lockdown.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I've been cutting my own hair for the last ten years with the same £8.50 beard trimmer and I can do a sick fade and everything.

Turns out cutting hair is really easy, you don't have to be a busty girl too thick to do her A levels (but it must help somehow).

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

justcola posted:

If you want to shave your neck, the space between your thumb and forefinger also makes for a sort of straight line that is sort of the width of your neck. Here is a diagram I spent ages on:

I do kinda like this except I prefer the back of my head to taper rather than be straight across, so Indo it in 2 parts. First, make an L shape with my left hand with the thumb pointing straight down my spine and the index finger touching the top of my ear, and use that as a guide to shave the right side of my neck with shaver in right hand. Second, reverse hands.

Often now I just do the easy bits myself and tmget the missus to tidy up the back, but not difficult to do yourself if youre not especially fussy

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

sassassin posted:

Turns out cutting hair is really easy, you don't have to be a busty girl too thick to do her A levels (but it must help somehow).

This feels like an uncomradely remark.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
That's a loving Godfrey Bloom level remark, jfc

nice shoulders ;-*

biceps need a little work, now that i realise that's the wire of the clippser and not an attempt to draw a massive 3d arm

crispix fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Apr 9, 2020

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Tried to get some shopping earlier and 3 of the nearest supermarkets had queues wrapping around the car parks. I reckon people are doing the usual Good Friday thing of trying to get their shopping in before the weekend in a panic. Tons of cars on the roads too and houses with #stayhome rainbow paintings and the kids playing football in the street. Nobody gives a poo poo.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

sassassin posted:

Boo!

Those people are workers and deserve the same respect as all comrades!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

DrSnakeLaser posted:

Tried to get some shopping earlier and 3 of the nearest supermarkets had queues wrapping around the car parks. I reckon people are doing the usual Good Friday thing of trying to get their shopping in before the weekend in a panic. Tons of cars on the roads too and houses with #stayhome rainbow paintings and the kids playing football in the street. Nobody gives a poo poo.

Yeah I've noticed people where I live getting way more lax and my mum loving turned up to mine with groceries this morning (i'm debilitated non-covidly atm) when she's supposed to be loving isolating due to being old and having long-term respiratory problems. Said she didn't have the heart to not go out and buy easter eggs for the grandkids and that :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

DrSnakeLaser posted:

I did mine this morning at the big Tesco in Fratton, almost all of the cars which have been parked on my street for the last two weeks and not moved have all mysteriously vanished ahead of the long weekend, but some scaffolding has gone up at the hairdressers at the bottom of the road. At actual Tesco, smaller queue than when I went at the same time two weeks last Friday, but more cars in their car park and on the roads, as well as a queue in the Lidl opposite the train care depot. Decent selection on the shelves except for biscuits, so grabbed almost everything I need for the next fortnight and went home, was in and out in half an hour