Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1247719681483509761

probably bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

There haven’t really been stories about reinfections anywhere apart from one or two possibilities that seemed to indicate testing issues more than anything else.

Reading the article, it says that it was young people who experienced mild symptoms that had the low antibody counts, while older folks had the expected amounts. If that means a vaccine would be most effective in the older population that seems ok.

Edit: and then you have comments like this:

https://twitter.com/balajis/status/1247780776277467136?s=20

loving Twitter, man. Please don’t let it scare you.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Apr 9, 2020

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Turns out medicine isn't well adapted to dicussion 280 characters at a time.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
@Jack brain.... what about 560 characters?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Jaguars! posted:

Turns out medicine isn't well adapted to dicussion 280 characters at a time.
280 characters is good for shitposts and not much else. Seeing how just about anything that is worth actually reading on Twitter is either in an obnoxious threaded format, or a link to a news article, they should just expand the character limit to ten thousand or something. Or just shut down Twitter and never speak of it again.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Casimir Radon posted:

280 characters is good for shitposts and not much else. Seeing how just about anything that is worth actually reading on Twitter is either in an obnoxious threaded format, or a link to a news article, they should just expand the character limit to ten thousand or something. Or just shut down Twitter and never speak of it again.

It's a meme made to sound smart cause it can be 2 full sentences. But seriously, if someone doesn't have the attention span to try and understand a complex idea in 280 characters how will more make any difference? They will read the leader and ignore the rest anyways.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

PookBear posted:

he didn't ever call him out on basic policy positions

he apologized to biden over an op ed pointing out the connection between his donors and the policies he pushed

There's no revolution this year, and Bernie isn't Sam Adams.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Casimir Radon posted:

[J]ust shut down Twitter and never speak of it again.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Mexico should have bought twitter years ago and shut it down when that was floated some long lost time around the election.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Finally, some good coronavirus news!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/08/world/middleeast/coronavirus-saudi-royal-infections.html

quote:

More than six weeks after Saudi Arabia reported its first case, the coronavirus is striking terror into the heart of the kingdom’s royal family.

As many as 150 royals in the kingdom are now believed to have contracted the virus, including members of its lesser branches, according to a person close to the family.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN9YlThJ7I8

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sometimes coronavirus does good things

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I didn't know parasites got viruses.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Chichevache posted:

Life, uh, finds a way.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Aren’t most of the Saudi royals overweight diabetics?

That’s like the worst comorbidity for this thing.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

The bad news is the undocumented slave class of Saudi Arabia lives packed together like sardines. The good news is that the kingdom finally has to give them recognition and offer testing and treatment. But only because the filthy masses could easily get royals killed. Silver linings huh.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/AlexBerenson/st...ingawful.com%2F

This guy has been spreading misinformation about the virus for days

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Chichevache posted:

Legit question; could a parasite catch a disease? What does that mean for the host? I know this isn't really the thread for that kind of thing, but I don't know where else to ask.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I dunno if mosquitoes are parasites but they can carry malaria and West Nile etc.

Also I said it yesterday, the market has been going up as higher and higher death counts keep coming to America. The ruling class is sick of the quarantine getting in the way of profits. The market is going to correct itself with the blood of Americans.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

I dunno if mosquitoes are parasites but they can carry malaria and West Nile etc.

Also I said it yesterday, the market has been going up as higher and higher death counts keep coming to America. The ruling class is sick of the quarantine getting in the way of profits. The market is going to correct itself with the blood of Americans.

The market has 250k deaths and 50m unemployed with a ~3 month complete shutdown and recovery to follow priced in. We have to look like we’re going to be worse than that for the market to crash again.

There are definitely some issues with the efficient market hypothesis (such as irrational traders - c.f. tsla) but it is generally weak form efficient. The bad news is already priced in. The question is whether or not Trump can hit his quarterly projections. If so - market continues to drift upwards.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Leavemywife posted:

Legit question; could a parasite catch a disease? What does that mean for the host? I know this isn't really the thread for that kind of thing, but I don't know where else to ask.

Anything can get a virus.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Stultus Maximus posted:

Anything can get a virus.

Are there phages that do over virii? Is that what I'm looking at?

e: no, thought that the other phages were spike proteins.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/...ingawful.com%2F

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Three nights in ICU means you are hosed up

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Man who shakes hands with epidemic crowd deemed "mentally able to make decisions"

I question this.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Weekend at Bernie's but it's all old British dudes.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

The only reason the Prime Minister is sitting on his perch is because he'd been nailed there!

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Maybe the Brits should go back to the "strange women lying in ponds distributing swords" model of government.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1248...ingawful.com%2F

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

:capitalism:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

Weekend at Bernie's but it's all old British dudes.

Weekend at Bernard McFacknuttah's.

Meanwhile, AG Barr went on Fox News to talk about shelter in place and other state governor restrictions, describing some as "draconian" and calling them to be reexamined at the end of the month.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...f094_story.html

quote:

“When this period of time, at the end of April, expires, I think we have to allow people to adapt more than we have, and not just tell people to go home and hide under their bed, but allow them to use other ways — social distancing and other means — to protect themselves,” Barr said.

Check your board to see if you had "religious liberty"

quote:

Barr said that governments had a right to put restrictions on churches, so long as they were treated no differently than other institutions, but added he was “very concerned” about possible encroachments on Americans’ freedom of religion. Barr said he was also concerned about the “tracking of people” that some experts have advised might be necessary to quickly identify and quarantine those infected.

Anyone get a bingo with HCQ?!

quote:

Barr said Trump had been the recipient of “snarky, gotcha questions from the White House media pool” and took particular aim at inquiries about the drug hydroxychloroquine. Trump has touted the drug as a possible treatment for covid-19, although its effectiveness has not been proven.

“As soon as he said something positive about it, the media’s been on a jihad to discredit the drug,” Barr said.

I guaran-loving-tee you the White House will point to a decline in cases as a reason to "reopen" the economy, and the sycophants in Fox News and the GOP will happily line up in fawning agreement. Never mind that such a decline will likely come in conjunction with the federal government's cessation of funding of testing centers as was pointed out earlier, so any actual decline will likely be simply because there are fewer resources to conduct tests.

The Trump administration is going to kill more people than any of the groups or countries we've been dropping bombs on for the past 60 years.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

you americans will be back to work by may, and told to keep working even if you have symptoms as long as you can breath

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

That's a state-funded organization.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

piL posted:

doesnt mean capitalism didnt fuel the move. if you read the article you can see they are under funded and staffed, a consequence of capitalism, even if the state is funding it. It doesn't want to "waste money" on things it doesnt deem important, like old veterans apparently

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/GovHowardDean/status/1248270796038029312

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
For those haven't seen it. https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/politics/president-trump/trump-quietly-shuts-down-asylum-at-us-borders-to-fight-virus/2217704/

quote:

Trump Quietly Shuts Down Asylum at US Borders to Fight Virus
The U.S. government is using an obscure public health law to justify one of its most aggressive border crackdowns ever

A U.S. Border Patrol agent wouldn't let Jackeline Reyes explain why she and her 15-year-old daughter needed asylum, pointing to the coronavirus. That confrontation in Texas came just days after the Trump administration quietly shut down the nation's asylum system for the first time in decades in the name of public health.

"The agent told us about the virus and that we couldn't go further, but she didn't let us speak or anything," said Reyes, 35, who was shuttled to a crossing March 24 in Reynosa, Mexico, a violent border city.

She tried to get home to crime-ridden Honduras despite learning her brother had been killed there and her mother and 7-year-old daughter had fled to the Nicaraguan border. But she was stuck in Mexico as the virus closed borders in Central America.

The U.S. government used an obscure public health law to justify one of its most aggressive border crackdowns ever. People fleeing violence and poverty to seek refuge in the U.S. are whisked to the nearest border crossing and returned to Mexico without a chance to apply for asylum. It eclipses President Donald Trump's other policies to curtail immigration — which often rely on help from Mexico — by setting aside decades-old national and international laws.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Porfiriato posted:

The only reason the Prime Minister is sitting on his perch is because he'd been nailed there!

:golfclap:

https://twitter.com/JohnCleese/status/1241774564058652673

egyptian rat race fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 9, 2020

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

piL posted:

Ok, and the employees are compelled to continue working because the near lack of any safety net, thus being forced to put themselves and others at risk to get a paycheck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/evanmcmurry/status/1248276115401121800?s=19

The deaths are still extremely high, just a hopepost!