Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
In all honesty, I see no reason to keep arguing with the dipshits claiming after the peak the dropoff is going to be sharp and quick.

Let them keep being disappointed while things keep being shut down and the extensions to shelter in place orders keep going.

This country really needs the sharp kick in the rear end this plague is going to give while highlighting how short-sighted and stupid our social safety systems are. It's going to be painful, but hopefully it'll be painful enough to make a difference in the long term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mnoba posted:

NY is really having a rough go at it, more died yesterday than the entire state of California has in recorded deaths. And California has 5x the population.

We're slightly more spread out, and we did work from home a bit earlier.

Otherwise I'm not sure what we did that NY didn't.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

a sexual elk posted:

Any threads we can link to if we’re thinking about “checking out early”?
Not a thread, but if you're contemplating suicide, this has helpful info not linked above: https://www.lostallhope.com/. Edit: read “surviving today”

bort fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 9, 2020

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Beachcomber posted:

comparing NYC to LA, NYC has around 3.5 times LA's population density, i'd call that a bit more than "slightly" more spread out

new york state is considerably denser than california too

Natalie Fartman
Apr 5, 2013

I selflessly rescued an abandoned cat during the COVID-19 Pandemic :3:

Beachcomber posted:

Less European travel.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

numberoneposter posted:

are we wearing masks yet? we have been doing the isolation thing pretty good, i think masks is next.

New Jersey is now requiring anyone in a store to wear a mask or at least something on your face. Employee or customer. If you don't wear a mask??? It's kind of empty on that part.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

density is pretty important

density is what causes you to get coughed on by that rear end in a top hat on the bus station

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Guy Axlerod posted:

New Jersey is now requiring anyone in a store to wear a mask or at least something on your face. Employee or customer. If you don't wear a mask??? It's kind of empty on that part.

Stores apparently are turning people without face covering away here. Riverside county CA has made them mandatory

Edit also supposedly $1000 fine for not complying

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
LA is up to the shop but Costco is making it mandatory on Friday

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’m gonna ask my wife to sew me a mask but I want one that’s real masculine and manly, maybe one with dicks all over it that’s real masculine.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

bird with big dick posted:

I’m gonna ask my wife to sew me a mask but I want one that’s real masculine and manly, maybe one with dicks all over it that’s real masculine.

Give it wings like the nick cage hair from that time movie

So your mask is a bird

With a big dick

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Nah I think the corporate-owned media are seriously trying to spin a narrative that it's going to be okay to get back to work.

They can probably succeed.

Everyone dying from disease will just become normal. The whole world will be like wtf America then they'll all go back to work too so America can't get ahead and we'll just march arm in arm toward the death of the entire Western system just like the last several global financial crises.

We're the baddies.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Ok
This thread maybe not first thing in morning. *check*
Never say ok to a ventilator. *check*

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

There are so many factors that decided where the epidemic struck hard.

Here in the North of the Netherlands the late winter holidays were earlier than in the South. So people from here who went skiing in Italy in February missed the Italian wave, while those from the South did pick up the virus one week later.

Then, in the Catholic South, they celebrated Carnival, where everybody goes out on the streets to party for five days, so the few Corona cases that returned from Italy had every chance to spread down there, while everything was still undetected.

Then the Netherlands went in lock down, but in the South things were ugly, while here in Groningen we entered lock down when only very few infections had arrived.

So now most patients in our local hospitals are guests from elsewhere, and they can still go and treat non-corona patients.

Also, our main academic hospital had installed a testing line with mostly their own locally produced components, so they could afford to test all nurses and doctors before they went on duty, and they are still following up on the few new infections and isolate their contacts because they have that capacity.

Partly competence, partly just luck, and a huge difference over just 200 km distance.

Lotti Fuehrscheim fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Apr 9, 2020

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Spinz posted:

Ok
This thread maybe not first thing in morning. *check*
Never say ok to a ventilator. *check*

Yeah, i give it a couple hours before the panic inducing corona reads.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

50s girl groupon posted:

Her daughter is an essential retail employee and couldn’t get away from work long enough to say goodbye over the phone to her mom.

gently caress that sentiment. "Essential" just means you are allowed to keep working to keep society churning, it does not mean you are forbidden from taking breaks! What kind of horrible boss does she have?

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Dixville posted:

Stores apparently are turning people without face covering away here. Riverside county CA has made them mandatory

What if I'm at the store to buy a mask?

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

Blaise330 posted:

Put a towel around your head?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Blaise330 posted:

Wrong. Pay $1000 and think about what you did. You should have made a mask at home from your worn underwear first.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I'm seriously becoming convinced he's got some developmental issues. And I don't mean "he's a clueless moron who doesn't know what the gently caress he's doing and has just failed upwards his entire life because daddy was loaded".

He's that too, but I mean he's literally got something wrong with his head. He seems to process ideas and convey them on the level of a child. He writes like a third grader and then will pretend that he reads and understands loving journal papers on virology and microbiology.

He's like a child doing a child's version of a big and powerful man, and it's hilariously pathetic.

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Sometimes there's so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it, and my heart is just going to cave in.
Nap Ghost

Der Shovel posted:

I'm seriously becoming convinced he's got some developmental issues. And I don't mean "he's a clueless moron who doesn't know what the gently caress he's doing and has just failed upwards his entire life because daddy was loaded".

He's that too, but I mean he's literally got something wrong with his head. He seems to process ideas and convey them on the level of a child. He writes like a third grader and then will pretend that he reads and understands loving journal papers on virology and microbiology.

He's like a child doing a child's version of a big and powerful man, and it's hilariously pathetic.

Just sit back and enjoy the show. Butter some popcorn, open up that box of bunchacrunch, and sip on that extra large Big Red.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Der Shovel posted:

He's effectively communicating to the American public

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Beachcomber posted:

It's what you didn't do. Which is use public transport as much I guess. It has been almost 20 years since I was in LA but there is no subway system, right? I think California has more individualised traffic than NYC, which is a major factor.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Are people still going to church because god will protect them?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

The blood of Jesus is the worlds most powerful hand sanitizer

Salty Josh
Jul 13, 2016

Nap Ghost

bird with big dick posted:

The blood of Jesus is the worlds most powerful hand sanitizer

And sexual suppressant

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Shaocaholica posted:

Are people still going to church because god will protect them?

This one lady says god will protect her from it and she seemed legit giddy at the thought of passing it on to non faithful so that they die from it without god's protection.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
a lot of churches are having parking lot service where you stay in your car and they are on a PA, honks and flashing lights and stuff

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Der Shovel posted:

Donald Trump is actually Vincent Adultman from BoJack but IRL

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Mnoba posted:

a lot of churches are having parking lot service where you stay in your car and they are on a PA, honks and flashing lights and stuff

Well technically that would respect shelter in place as long that no one get out of their car. Which is kinda iffy(people might get out of their car to go to the bathroom for example). Maybe that will resurrect the drive in business!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Salty Josh posted:

And sexual suppressant

Maybe for you.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Hopper posted:

It's what you didn't do. Which is use public transport as much I guess. It has been almost 20 years since I was in LA but there is no subway system, right? I think California has more individualised traffic than NYC, which is a major factor.

It is perhaps telling that if you google for LA metro map the search results are mostly fantasy maps of "what could have been" or "what the metro grid could look like in 2100" or "what if the street car system hadn't been demolished to make way for cars, and had been instead converted to metro and expanded with coverage comparable to Asian cities."

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Wafflecopper posted:

Donald Trump is actually Vincent Adultman from BoJack but IRL

Vincent Adultment is much wiser then Donald Trump. At least he understand the he is just 2 kid in a coat larping as an adult.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Mnoba posted:

CAN I GET AN AMEN?

*dixie air horn is solemnly bleated*

Lotti Fuehrscheim
Jun 13, 2019

There is still some international cooperation, despite your Great American Moron In Charge.

Philips Medical, a Dutch company, produces very good ventilators in the USA - (a good system is not just the mechanical device, but includes integrated monitoring and control systems).

There were fears in the Netherlands that devices ordered there would not be allowed to be exported to NL.

But now Philips is able to expand their production hugely because not the produced ventilators were seized by the US Strategic measures, but the components to produce them, and they will be available for the production. And from that new production a substantial part is for international clients.

KLM is meanwhile implementing a flying bridge to get components for the devices from China to the USA.

Meanwhile, AMSL, that uses planes to ship its chip-production machines to China, is going to pick up a (Dutch owned but China operated) protection mask production line and bring it to NL, where it will from next week on produce millions of masks per day locally.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

old hymns go arooga

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Dixville posted:

Right around the time everyone is getting a check for $1200 dollars, hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Der Shovel posted:

This is true and it's also why people like him.

American has tons of very smart people, but Americans are, on average, increeeeedibly loving dumb.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Der Shovel posted:

Yeah, his gimmick isn't working for him. He should stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

All rise your high beams for the hymn