Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

OhDearGodNo posted:

An administration similar to the Obama one

- or -

The Trump administration

:thunk:

Maybe the obama administration shouldnt have spent 8 years flipping off the people who voted for hope and change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

The Sean posted:

And this is exactly why things will never change. "well we don't want any improvement to society so we'll just throw out a lovely candidate that keeps our corporate and finance interests in mind because dems will vote for anyone who simply checks the box of 'marginally better than GOP candidate."

And your less of two evils thing. Why am I choosing evil of any degree?

Because those are your options, and not choosing is choosing the greater evil.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Dietrich posted:

Because those are your options, and not choosing is choosing the greater evil.

Or, choosing the lesser evil signals that I'm fine with evil. How exactly do we signal to the dem leadership that we don't want lovely dems like hillary and biden? by voting for them?

Like, whether you agree with me or not, how do we stop dems from running poo poo candidates if we keep supporting them due to #votebluenomatterwho? That gives them no accountability whatsoever because they *know* they will get your vote. #votebluenomatterwho = "lol we can just run who the fuckever and these people will vote for them because they have to."

The Sean fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 9, 2020

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Bernie has been out of the race for one day and my soul is already crushed from the Vote Biden vs Don't Vote argument.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

The Sean posted:

And this is exactly why things will never change. "well we don't want any improvement to society so we'll just throw out a lovely candidate that keeps our corporate and finance interests in mind because dems will vote for anyone who simply checks the box of 'marginally better than GOP candidate." This is why our country has been sliding right for decades.

And your less of two evils thing. Why am I choosing evil of any degree?

edit: actually, "you're voting for the less republican of the two republicans." That's also an accurate phrase. I don't want to vote republican.

Your choices keep getting worse, not better. Your democratic candidates are becoming more centrist, not less. Show the party that even a centrist Dem can't win, and they'll put up Mitt Romney in 2024. If you want a more progressive candidate to get the nom, you have to show that a person more progressive than Trump can win in a national election.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Yawgmoft posted:

Your choices keep getting worse, not better. Your democratic candidates are becoming more centrist, not less. Show the party that even a centrist Dem can't win, and they'll put up Mitt Romney in 2024. If you want a more progressive candidate to get the nom, you have to show that a person more progressive than Trump can win in a national election.

Oh, so like Bernie? Nope, they took that choice away from me.

We're already here. They already have their center-right dem. I didn't make this choice.

Also, it's not on me to "show that a person more progressive than Trump can win a national election." I don't have to prove Bernie or AOC or whoever can win. It's up to the DNC to actually give a gently caress about progressive candidates. They've proven they don't. They also have electoral college type bullshit and DNC leadership said "it doesn't matter who voters pick, we get to decide."

The Sean fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 9, 2020

Pasty Doughboy
Dec 23, 2006
With red way hair. One day it will all be gone, I’ll go blind from the glare

But look! It’s less than last week! The curve is flattening!

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Do you believe Biden will be just as as bad or worse in disaster relief to the people of Puerto Rico. If not, does maintaining your idealogical purity worth their continued suffering.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
What is the highest unemployment rate that an incumbent president has won re-election with? (Before Trump wins with like 14% in November)

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mcmagic posted:

Bernie has been out of the race for one day and my soul is already crushed from the Vote Biden vs Don't Vote argument.

then avoid D&D for the next 6 months. I know I'll try to.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Not that I like the "blame China" narrative because it's often couched in racism and deflects the issues with everyone else's slow response, but I'm not sure what this proves - the argument/narrative I see is largely that China covered this up early on. Arguably there wouldn't be those European cases if China wasn't trying to save face.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
24 hours ago I actually thought Biden had a chance of winning. Now, after the unemployment numbers came out, I don't.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Brrrr baby brrrr

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/1248227476855296001?s=19

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You cannot shame people into voting. Shame in general is the only weapon liberals have left and it's worse than useless.

'Vote blue no matter who' means 'I literally have no standards' and look at what it's got you, unelectable nepotism cases who demonstrably can't stand up to a senile game show host.

Nobody expects Biden to do anything, including his supporters.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Armitage posted:

24 hours ago I actually thought Biden had a chance of winning. Now, after the unemployment numbers came out, I don't.

Why would higher unemployment help Trump? Theoretically it should help Biden... I think Biden is going to lose too but not because of anything that happened in the last day.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

The Sean posted:

Or, choosing the lesser evil signals that I'm fine with evil. How exactly do we signal to the dem leadership that we don't want lovely dems like hillary and biden? by voting for them?

Like, whether you agree with me or not, how do we stop dems from running poo poo candidates if we keep supporting them due to #votebluenomatterwho? That gives them no accountability whatsoever because they *know* they will get your vote. #votebluenomatterwho = "lol we can just run who the fuckever and these people will vote for them because they have to."

By voting in non-lovely dems in primaries as often as possible. By getting involved in the party and pushing for a more progressive agenda. By calling your reps and demanding support for progressive policies.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

mcmagic posted:

What is the highest unemployment rate that an incumbent president has won re-election with? (Before Trump wins with like 14% in November)

FDR had something like 16% in 1936.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Twibbit posted:

Do you believe Biden will be just as as bad or worse in disaster relief to the people of Puerto Rico. If not, does maintaining your idealogical purity worth their continued suffering.

It's not worth validating a rapist and rewarding the tactic of winning the nomination through backroom deals. In the same way, do you think it'd be worth rigging the vote for Biden, if you could? In your words, is the moral purity of not being an election rigger worth more than their suffering?

Aside from that, there's also something called a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trigger_strategy

The prospect of people not voting for the Democratic Party is the only thing keeping it from veering rightward of public opinion within the party.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 9, 2020

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Morrow posted:

FDR had something like 16% in 1936.

Ok. But 1936 also had 13% (lol) GDP growth.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Dietrich posted:

By voting in non-lovely dems in primaries as often as possible. By getting involved in the party and pushing for a more progressive agenda. By calling your reps and demanding support for progressive policies.

I didn't see "vote biden" in there.

As a sidenote, I do vote as often as I can--not just presidential years.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

The Sean posted:

Well guess what: you're still going to get evil either way, whether you like it or not.

It sucks, but what can we do about it now for 2020?

The only way to signal to them that you don't want a lovely candidate is to encourage others to vote for a better candidate. Unfortunately, not enough people did that for Sanders, and now he's out of the race.

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 9, 2020

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Elect senators.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Willo567 posted:

Well guess what: you're still going to get evil either way, whether you like it or not.

It sucks, but what can we do about it now for 2020?

You didn't respond to anything in the post of mine that you quoted.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

The Sean posted:

Not choosing signals you're fine with greater evil, you signal dem leadership that you want more progressive candidates by winning primaries with more progressive candidates.

If you can't do that then you need to work on convincing the electorate to support more progressive candidates. All this talk about centrist voltron and sending the DNC a message by not voting are at it's core a gripe that the DNC foiled the plan to win in an anti-democratic fashion by splitting the vote or forcing people to vote how you want them to using fear of a Trump presidency.

Supporting Trump by not voting isn't a principled stand, it's taking innocent people as hostages

Or more accurately the threat during the primary is taking hostages, what you're suggesting is shooting them to send a message.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

The Sean posted:

I didn't see "vote biden" in there.

As a sidenote, I do vote as often as I can--not just presidential years.

Cool, let the GOP keep loving over the election apparatuses and further sabotage the ability of progressives to get elected outside of blue strongholds. Excellent plan.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Oxyclean posted:

Not that I like the "blame China" narrative because it's often couched in racism and deflects the issues with everyone else's slow response, but I'm not sure what this proves - the argument/narrative I see is largely that China covered this up early on. Arguably there wouldn't be those European cases if China wasn't trying to save face.

True but I think it is still worthwhile to undercut the narrative of "China infected the U.S." that is contributing to a lot of xenophobic and anti-Asian harassment and violence right now.

Unrelated but the US is still (directly) plundering medical supplies from other countries.

https://twitter.com/KevzPolitics/status/1248219107234897922

Strongarm politics are back!

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

DreamingofRoses posted:

Cool, let the GOP keep loving over the election apparatuses and further sabotage the ability of progressives to get elected outside of blue strongholds. Excellent plan.

I can still vote for other things, you know, right?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jarmak posted:

Not choosing signals you're fine with greater evil, you signal dem leadership that you want more progressive candidates by winning primaries with more progressive candidates.

If you can't do that then you need to work on convincing the electorate to support more progressive candidates. All this talk about centrist voltron and sending the DNC a message by not voting are at it's core a gripe that the DNC foiled the plan to win in an anti-democratic fashion by splitting the vote or forcing people to vote how you want them to using fear of a Trump presidency.

Supporting Trump by not voting isn't a principled stand, it's taking innocent people as hostages

Or more accurately the threat during the primary is taking hostages, what you're suggesting is shooting them to send a message.

The Democrats were already marching voters to their deaths to get Biden elected. That's probably a significant reason why Bernie dropped out. We're past shooting hostages.

You can browbeat every single user of this forum into voting for Biden, it's not going to make a difference. Millions of people are going to stay home rather than choose which rapist who openly hates them to vote for.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

DreamingofRoses posted:

This is going to happen no matter who wins the presidential.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

"Supporting Trump by not voting isn't a principled stand, it's taking innocent people as hostages"

Nah, actually the establishment is the one taking hostages through arranging backroom deals, blacklisting organizations who help Congressional primary challengers, and refusing to delay primaries so that voters in Illinois went out in person and died

https://twitter.com/caitielee0917/status/1243279632184619010

This is the first election where I'm a Green Party voter, because of what I saw in this election.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Apr 9, 2020

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

The Sean posted:

mcmagic posted:

This is going to happen no matter who wins the presidential.

Keep justifying it to yourselves. Keep saying that the liberals are the true enemies of the left while the GOP death cult keeps picking the progressives off.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I think it's more respectable not to vote than to vote for the Green Party. They are cranks and morons. Third party politics is a complete waste of time on the national level.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

The Sean posted:

Who are you going to vote for who will have no chance in hell of winning?

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 9, 2020

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Jarmak posted:

It's mostly this. Most Democratic voters just aren't all that leftist these days, folks.

You can take it out on the Democratic Party by calling them out for being stuck in 80's era Reaganomic or 90's DLC principles, but most of the voters simply aren't there yet.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Doctor Butts posted:

It's mostly this. Most Democratic voters just aren't all that leftist these days, folks.

You can take it out on the Democratic Party by calling them out for being stuck in 80's era Reaganomic or 90's DLC principles, but most of the voters simply aren't there yet.

It's not that voters aren't leftist enough, it's that voters are loving sheep who do pretty much what they are told by the media and the establishment.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Doctor Butts posted:

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/403248-poll-seventy-percent-of-americans-support-medicare-for-all

70% of Americans currently support Medicare for All. That's unrelated to the support for Biden partly due to the centrist Voltron tactic.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Willo567 posted:

Who are you going to vote for who will have no chance in hell of winning?

Given that your last response didn't answer anything at all that you quoted from me I'll wait for you to do that first before responding to anything else you say. Go back. Reread what you quoted from me. Respond to it.

edit: isn't it against the rules now for doing what you did? responding to my post without having any rhetorical basis or really any meat of a response at all?

The Sean fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Apr 9, 2020

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

galenanorth posted:

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/403248-poll-seventy-percent-of-americans-support-medicare-for-all

70% of Americans currently support Medicare for All. That's unrelated to the support for Biden partly due to the centrist Voltron tactic.

Those polls are just leftist masturbation since they have literally zero impact on the outcome of elections.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Mat Cauthon posted:

True but I think it is still worthwhile to undercut the narrative of "China infected the U.S." that is contributing to a lot of xenophobic and anti-Asian harassment and violence right now.

Unrelated but the US is still (directly) plundering medical supplies from other countries.

https://twitter.com/KevzPolitics/status/1248219107234897922

Strongarm politics are back!

What the gently caress are they doing with all of it? :psyduck:

It's not going to the states in need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Doctor Butts posted:

this is a straight up lie, incidentally. voters who wanted M4A were the overwhelming majority, and they voted for the guy who said if it got to his desk he'd veto it.