Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

should have made a 5/5 too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

tokens are up

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-preview/tokens-ikoria-and-c20-2020-04-09

there's also non cat tokens but who gives a gently caress

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Lone Goat posted:

tokens are up

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-preview/tokens-ikoria-and-c20-2020-04-09

I like the companion token too

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Kitten bird :swoon:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Lone Goat posted:

tokens are up

Jesus Christ all of these cats are wonderful.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Lone Goat posted:

tokens are up

That dinosaur cat is loving adorable and I need it as a playmat.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Lone Goat posted:

tokens are up

Holy poo poo. It's been a long time coming, but this is finally the thing that's made me upset at this pandemic that might kill millions of people including those I love --- I can't run a physical Cat Draft with this perfect set!

Of course, Ikoria still might be the most recent in-print set by the time we're all clear to have Magic tournaments again.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

tokens are up

That cat bird has significant crossover appeal with D&D players, it's a common wizard's familiar called a tressym.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I actually like this one as the lolrandom highroll bullshit red enchantment of the set. Seems fun!

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
There's still a Rare Sultai build-around enchantment yet to be spoiled right? That's if Death's Oasis, Offspring's Revenge, Song of Creation, and "Thinkin Bout Dragons" are indeed part of a cycle.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

This makes me want to try a rampy deck that tries to cycle into emrakul and other stupid large creatures

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ilmucche posted:

This makes me want to try a rampy deck that tries to cycle into emrakul and other stupid large creatures

4 of this
4 Emrakul
4 Eladamri's Call
1 Street Wraith
47 other cards

There I just saved you from needing to watch the Against the Odds video for this card

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Would it not be like 2 emrakul and 4 street wraiths? If you cycle into a street wraith you can just cycle again.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

ilmucche posted:

Would it not be like 2 emrakul and 4 street wraiths? If you cycle into a street wraith you can just cycle again.

That’s not how the card is worded. You would hit a street wraith and put the wraith into play, not given another chance to cycle it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah any Street Wraith you hit off the top must either be cast or put on bottom, as you are exiling it from the top of your library with everything else.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Not to go all #mtgfinance on it, but the situation is probably going to do Eldritch Moon poo poo to prices.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You can't, you cast the card. You could play something like Eternal Witness if you wanted though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

BizarroAzrael posted:

Not to go all #mtgfinance on it, but the situation is probably going to do Eldritch Moon poo poo to prices.

Easily the least opened/played set of the last 5 years, not close.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

BizarroAzrael posted:

Definitely, and THB might feel a similar strain since paper drafts essentially ended 4-6 weeks ahead of schedule.

Am definitely buying a box of Ikoria, if for no other reason than to support the LGS. Probably going to crack it and huff the fumes instead of sitting on it for a while though.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
last mythic

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Tainen posted:

last mythic

Because UG can't go a single set without a busted mythic these days.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Being in UG makes that card a complete non starter in standard at least, it does not play well with the Growth Spiral/Uro/Nissa ramp package.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

Is this busted? I'm not really seeing it. Needs other mana creatures to do anything and we don't have Elves anymore, so it's competing with the 2 drop mana dorks it benefits from. And the activated ability seems fine, I guess? But it doesn't work with the true top end of Simic in Agent or Krasis.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

yeah i think people are a bit conditioned nowadays to just scream overpowered if they see ug in the mana cost and a mythic set symbol

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Count Bleck posted:

All the dorks cost 2 and the rocks cost 3. It's an investment to get more than 1 or 2 mana more than normal, and the number of things you need to seriously ramp up it just ends up being a normal-rear end card.

And since Kinnan doesn't count lands and planeswalkers don't tap it doesn't work well with the current ramp strategies.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Elves might've made this busted.

Elves on 1
This on 2, then a 2 mana dork
Agent of Treachery on turn 3

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That said it does have some interesting interactions in older formats with cards like Urza, Astrolabe and Basalt Monolith.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I actually forgot elves rotated.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Irony Be My Shield posted:

That said it does have some interesting interactions in older formats with cards like Urza, Astrolabe and Basalt Monolith.

It's on a 2/2 that does nothing by itself, which limits a bit.

Probably not enough lol.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Changelings are mutants that can’t mutate, so Ikoria gets a D from me

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Chrome Mox sounds better with this

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

Easily the least opened/played set of the last 5 years, not close.

A shame too, I really liked Eldritch Moon. :(

C-Euro posted:

Definitely, and THB might feel a similar strain since paper drafts essentially ended 4-6 weeks ahead of schedule.

Am definitely buying a box of Ikoria, if for no other reason than to support the LGS. Probably going to crack it and huff the fumes instead of sitting on it for a while though.

Same, if I have cash for it. I only ended up wanting one of the commander precons, so probably.

Maybe I'll split it with my cousin and we can draft. It's crazy how I haven't wanted to really play paper magic until it is no longer possible to do so.

Tainen posted:

last mythic

This is insane in any format with fast mana.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Does that work with priest of forgotten gods to give BBB instead of BB? Doesn't say anything about having to be a proper mana ability.

E: did some reading, it doesn't. "tap for mana" means mana abilities

resistentialism fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Apr 9, 2020

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

I think Colossification is my new favourite card in this set. Just "make a hilarious monster".

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
how many giantification cat cards is that now?

an cow
Mar 18, 2002

This post may lower your reputation

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
It is sweet for cube - the simic homie

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon