Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Something I hadn't thought about before- how much of a pain in the rear end does international travel become after this?

Iron Crowned posted:

S'mores are the best Pop Tarts, anyone who disagrees is lying.

:yeah:
I would also gently caress with a good cherry Pop-Tart back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

S'mores are the best Pop Tarts, anyone who disagrees is lying.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

C-Euro posted:

Something I hadn't thought about before- how much of a pain in the rear end does international travel become after this?

the tourism industry is dead

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

twoday posted:

https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1248272008934285314?s=20

nobody understands how lockdown works, it’s amazing

not quite as bad as the headline makes it out to be though

quote:

“The climb has been difficult, as the descent will also be.”
“We are facing the biggest threat to the planet’s public health since the flu of 1918,” Sanchez said, explaining that the resumption of normal activity would only happen in phases. “The last thing we should allow is a step backwards because that would be more than a setback” but “it would be a rebound”, for the virus.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
why haven't you code jockeys made an app that tells us the optimal covid19 infection rate yet? optimize my outbreak!

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Good soup! posted:

gently caress man there's been one or two days in the past few weeks I havent felt like cooking and im still too paranoid to order food from anywhere

no lack of food in my place so looks like i gotta be a responsible adult and avoid the rona

hot pizza cannot carry the virus

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
smores & cinnamon poptarts are the goodest but only heated and i tend to eat a ton of them backpacking so i prefer the fruit frosted ones, they eat the best cold & smushed.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://twitter.com/ianbremmer/status/1248056893832073221?s=20

the imperialists are very sad that the wrong countries are sending aid to others during this pandemic

There's the correct way of doing everything and the non-American way.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

charity rereg posted:

smores & cinnamon poptarts are the goodest but only heated and i tend to eat a ton of them backpacking so i prefer the fruit frosted ones, they eat the best cold & smushed.

this man speaks the truth

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Admiral Ray posted:

why haven't you code jockeys made an app that tells us the optimal covid19 infection rate yet? optimize my outbreak!

Sorry you have to pay $2.99 if you want to unlock that feature

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

lol look at this rube doing a dissertation on ancient history

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Admiral Ray posted:

hot pizza cannot carry the virus

what about my precious chickie nugs and sandwiches though, and the packaging and poo poo

and the delivery folks that gotta go from place to place :smith:

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

twoday posted:

https://twitter.com/cnni/status/1248272008934285314?s=20

nobody understands how lockdown works, it’s amazing

We can't just do what the doctor says! We have to open back up eventually! Eventually being right now because I said so!

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Agrajag posted:

the tourism industry is dead
maybe for some
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1248244009731948544

Mothmansplainer
Apr 2, 2020

charity rereg posted:

Accurate and now I'm wishing I had bought a box of them :(

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
where is the narrative that "this is basically over" coming from?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
On or about 2/17, in the NE USA, my wife and I contracted an illness. On 2/19 she and our child went out of town, and on 2/22, the day before she got home, all three of us began experiencing symptoms of what seemed like, and may have been, influenza: moderate fever, body aches, some amount of coughing. This progressed over 5-7 days, and then we had 1-2 days of feeling better, before experiencing a recurrance of fever combined with much more severe respiratory symptoms, which included a lot more coughing and hacking up thick poo poo than I personally have experienced in ~20+ years. By the third or fourth day of this, I had a "crinkling" sound coming from one of my lungs.

For my wife and I, it was this "two hump" pattern; our 3 year old seemed to follow more of a "one hump", though her breathing sounded hosed up enough that I slept on the floor in her room watching her for the worst couple nights of it.

My wife has since related that at the peak of her symptoms she was feeling winded doing basic things, and that she lost her sense of smell and taste nearly entirely for the second week of it. (By nature she's the opposite of a hypochondriac and does not complain about things much).

All of these symptoms scream COVID, except that COVID symptoms overlap flu so neatly, flu can also cause a subsequent pnemonia, and based on what was until very recently the understood models of community transmission, it just seemed really unlikely. On the other hand, it seems like every day we have a little more reason to question how accurate the early models were, and as far as vectors, our kid is in day care with kids who have parents who in some cases probably are exposed to people who travel a lot, and definitely the healthcare system here.

I mainly wonder about it because one spot in my lungs still feels a little hosed up; I really wish we had an antibody test that was reliable. It wouldn't change our behavior at this point, and I'd feel bad if I had been a vector for a couple weeks and not known it, but on the other hand I barely leave home, especially when sick.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

charity rereg posted:

This gave me flashbacks to the AT and it absolutely rings true

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

I haven't seen a non-conservative estimation of US deaths with realistic numbers knowing what we know of this virus?

330mil, 80% infection rate for herd immunity, 20% hospitalization which = 20% mortality when hospitals are overrun

spits out

53 million dead? hm, not great, I'm sure the flu has killed more tho so no need to worry.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/ForexLive/status/1248275223226601472?s=19

lmfao

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

local airport saw 1.3% passenger traffic compared to avg day last year

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

oxsnard posted:

literally from people not understanding what it means to be at the peak of an outbreak

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

oxsnard posted:

government and media mostly

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

literally from people not understanding what it means to be at the peak of an outbreak

(standing atop Mount Everest) Climb's over, I guess I'm home now

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

charity rereg posted:

You can heat up pop tarts?

:v:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

oxsnard posted:

the spiritual realm

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

wellp just learned that in laws likely all have the infection since one of them's a construction engineer and worked in close proximity w/ a confirmed infected for weeks

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
hell fuckin yeah we passed spain again suck it fuckers

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Charun posted:

I haven't seen a non-conservative estimation of US deaths with realistic numbers knowing what we know of this virus?

330mil, 80% infection rate for herd immunity, 20% hospitalization which = 20% mortality when hospitals are overrun

spits out

53 million dead? hm, not great, I'm sure the flu has killed more tho so no need to worry.

I said this too and I think the consensus is that the hospitalization rate is overstated dramatically by our low rate of testing and not everyone being given supplemental oxygen outside the ICU would necessarily die either.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

C-Euro posted:

lmao ticket prices are going to be cheap as all gently caress for the foreseeable future

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

We aren't even at peak till at least Sunday and god knows if we'll re-surge again because complacency

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Admiral Ray posted:

the spiritual realm

And nobody seems to be reporting deaths anymore so it's frozen just below 15k which is real hosed up

I don't care much about the reported deaths number because dead chud boomers are dead regardless of accurate reporting of cause

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Cao Ni Ma posted:

We aren't even at peak till at least Sunday and god knows if we'll re-surge again because complacency

Any sort of nation wide model is completely idiotic too

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I think you know the answer in your heart

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Paradoxish posted:

It's funny how people don't have basic 5th grade word problem solving skills.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

once you get to the peak of a mountain you've been climbing for 30 days, you're done! no more work to do!

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

china is very dishonest

Star Phlatulence
Jan 14, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bleak Gremlin

oxsnard posted:

what are you talking about? this is america. the pandemic isn't just "basically over", it never started. it was over before it started. it's a hoax. the cure is worse than the disease.

there is no consensus because there will never be a consensus. about anything, ever. this country's media messaging system is designed to make sure the controversy and conversation never stops, never slows. never reaches a conclusion. good luck. smoke weed every day.

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

shovelbum posted:

I said this too and I think the consensus is that the hospitalization rate is overstated dramatically by our low rate of testing and not everyone being given supplemental oxygen outside the ICU would necessarily die either.

yeh you're right, death rate will probs only be like 10% which would mean only like 25mil US deaths caused by the government's inaction.
now lets figure out indirect deaths!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Charun posted:

spits out

We have no idea the breadth or actual hospitalization rate of the disease.

There are probably more like millions of cases in the US right now, not 430k.