Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Asema posted:

the dnc put up a bigger and better fight to stop bernie than it has against the gop and that really should tell you all you need to know about supporting that terribly ran political party

What did this fight entail, what did they actually do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Prester Jane posted:

Because a bunch of privileged individuals are holding themselves up as paragons of virtue whilst declaring that the only moral choice is to vote for a reply/aenile white supremacist who puts children in dog cages.

I find it difficult to express contempt for such blatant hypocrisy without being at least a little insulting to the hypocrites I am calling out.

You’re ignorant. How’s that for contemptuous insults?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Manager Hoyden posted:

I suppose it's an educated guess. When a guy spends his entire political career working toward a goal, I don't think it's reasonable to believe he will stop just because he reached a higher step in said career.

Plus the whole "give me a break" fiasco in which he literally said he thinks things are fine as is when it comes to student loans.

Things are fine with public student loans for public universities. The crisis is privatized education.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

socialsecurity posted:

What did this fight entail, what did they actually do?

Is this real?

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Meridian posted:

Is this real?

Please, lay it out.

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

bird cooch posted:

Are there any current events going on or is this straw man slap fight just going to happen for the next 7 months?

I'm assuming there's another trump conference today, so wait for the cliff notes of that. Until then, enjoy a bunch of people demanding other people vote for a rapist.

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe

The Super-Id posted:

Bernie will vote for Biden and so I just might, though as a Californian I have the privilege and luxury of my vote not mattering so I’m really not sure what I’m going to do in November. May write in Bernie. Either way I think the world will be better off if the one rapist piece of poo poo beats the other rapist piece of poo poo and that makes me feel disgusted with myself, so good job Democrats for continuing to make supporting you morally repugnant if only just less so than republicans.

You're in the best position to be able to vote for the better person without having to worry that not voting for one of the two main candidates could help the worst possible candidate win. The more people in California who vote Bernie and for good progressive down-ballot candidates, the better, and it will help signal the need to move the DNC platform left a lot better than losing a state like Pennsylvania would. You can show your preference for a better candidate (that has no chance of winning this time) without worrying that the worst candidate may win there.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

karthun posted:

Things are fine with public student loans for public universities. The crisis is privatized education.

Your privilege is showing, partner.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Meridian posted:

Is this real?

Yes I keep hearing quotes about these vast conspiracies out to get Bernie but not much details of what that actually meant, did the DNC refuse to let him go to debates or mess with the votes somehow? There was that weirdness in Iowa was that the DNC somehow rigging the vote against Bernie?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/BGrueskin/status/1248272714990747650

https://twitter.com/LisPower1/status/1248258898122936321

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You'd better be getting used to insults. I don't know why you think people are going to fall in line and be nice to you.

I figure at this point people are just letting off steam. I was all in on Bernie and Biden was probably my second-to-last choice after Bloomberg, but I have had people lose their mind on me for even suggesting Bernie did something wrong, or Biden did something right.

It’s the internet so it’s just par for the course. People read one post and assume they know you are a boot-loving neo-liberal even if you made 1,000 Pro-Bernie posts earlier in the thread.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

who's "we"

welcome to the reverse side of that online echo chamber sword. we, the people who pay attention to politics more than once every four years, are a vanishingly tiny minority in this country. our votes are utterly, utterly ignorable. our sole utility is as a source of unpaid labor for campaigns, because appealing to us directly is a tremendous waste of time.

it does not matter how much you post about how shameful it is to not support the hideously corrupt fucker of your choice. the janitor in Ohio who voted for the first time in a decade because he vaguely believed in Obama is not going to turn around and support Hillary Clinton on the grounds she's less bad than this Trump guy.

you are not getting him by saying "support the lesser evil." if both of them are going to gently caress him, if, in the immortal words of Joe Biden, "nothing is fundamentally going to change," why is it worth taking three hours out of his day to go vote.

That's not an arguement we're having right now and I'm sick of this dodge. We're not talking about what is the most effective way to convince the janitor in Ohio to vote for Biden, we're talking about the morality of the decision not to vote which people are advocating here in this thread.

Those are two separate issues

Prester Jane posted:

Wrong, the general public (whose vote you need to win a general election) did not fall in line behind the lesser evil strategy- because they never ever ever ever ever ever ever fuxking will. Because average people simply do not, and will not, ever think/function/operate like that.

The Democratic party selected Hillary, that was selecting the lesser evil. That act (making Hillary out candidate) was supporting the lesser evil, and it failed. Like it always does, because the body politic is not excited by the prospect of crawling over glass to support the lesser evil.

Yes the public did not follow the strategy of voting for the lesser evil, that's what I said to begin with. "Making" Hillary the candidate has gently caress all to do with supporting the lessor evil, that doesn't even make sense because that would make Bernie the greater evil.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

DreamingofRoses posted:

Pretty meager imo- I am quite ignorant. However- my moral compass still works good enough to tell me that there are no conditions in which I should vote for a rapey white supremacist who puts children in dog cages.

So you know, trade-offs and all that.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

DreamingofRoses posted:

Biden 2020: Voting For A Guy Who Put Kids In Dog Cages To Own Trump

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Notice he didn’t mention trump. So folks can skip trump dumb bullshit and than get the sugar coated bullshit from pence.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Manager Hoyden posted:

I suppose it's an educated guess. When a guy spends his entire political career working toward a goal, I don't think it's reasonable to believe he will stop just because he reached a higher step in said career.

Plus the whole "give me a break" fiasco in which he literally said he thinks things are fine as is when it comes to student loans.

The PSLF was part of his career. He currently openly supports the What You Can Do for Your Country Act, that would allow people to wipe away 50% of their student loans after 5 years of public service. Meanwhile, Betsy Devos publicly opposes any sort of loan forgiveness, right now. She demonstrably has put in place policies that make it harder for me to get loan forgiveness, in her current position. So I'm not really going to have any reason to trust someone's educated guess on considering them equals.

edit: I'm going to make it clear that I don't blame the government for my situation with my student loans. They are all government loans, and they're so high because I hosed around in college and wasn't financially responsible.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 9, 2020

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Prester Jane posted:

Pretty irrelevant oh, I am quite ignorant. However- my moral compass still works good enough to tell me that there are no conditions in which I should vote for a rapey white supremacist who puts children in dog cages.

So you know, trade-offs and all that.

Advocating for letting the trolley run over the 5 people and then back up before the switch is flipped is a novel approach to the problem.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Notice he didn’t mention trump. So folks can skip trump dumb bullshit and than get the sugar coated bullshit from pence.
Eh, it's still pretty bad that they're trying to incompetently manage this like another whistleblower scandal.

Barr jumping into the ring also has me pretty nervous - there's a pattern there of Trump trying to use Barr as his fixer, but you can't fix a pandemic.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Jarmak posted:

Yes the public did not follow the strategy of voting for the lesser evil, that's what I said to begin with. "Making" Hillary the candidate has gently caress all to do with supporting the lessor evil, that doesn't even make sense because that would make Bernie the greater evil.

Hillary was the lesser evil candidate, selected over the greater good candidate of Bernie Sanders.

Unfortunately for individuals with your life experience such, the general public will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever be convinced to go along with supporting the lesser evil. As a result, any strategy that centers around supporting the lesser evil will always fail.

The present Sophie's Choice/complete moral collapse of the Democratic Party is something that people who were against lesser evilism have been warning about for many years. And now that systemic failure is here- from your comfortable chair you are insisting that the only moral course of action is to support a rapey white supremacist who puts children in dog cages.

And I think that's madness personally.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Jarmak posted:

That's not an arguement we're having right now and I'm sick of this dodge. We're not talking about what is the most effective way to convince the janitor in Ohio to vote for Biden, we're talking about the morality of the decision not to vote which people are advocating here in this thread.

Those are two separate issues

bad news, they're linked, and the reason is that as a result of reconciling yourself to the lesser evil you make that Ohio janitor totally unattainable. you sacrifice your moral standing, and in exchange you get nothing.

aside from the brief frisson of patting yourself on the back for just how pragmatic you're being.

as an example from elsewhere in recent american history, consider those dog cages for children the Obama administration erected. how -practical- they were. what a brilliant master stroke, to take the Republican policy of purging the untermenschen and demonstrate Democrats could not only do it, they could do it BETTER than the Republicans did. we achieved unparalleled throughput on getting rid of people deemed undesirable to the nation.

what was the payoff for doing so.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

karthun posted:

As someone who works for a public university, the way in which they depend on loan money is completely unsustainable long term. It is still allowing ballooning tuition and fees.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

So I understand the horrific distaste in voting Biden, and that's coming from someone who is incredibly likely to vote for him in the general election. I understand if you do not feel like you can vote for him or do not wish to. I do implore you to still vote, whether it's a third-party, write-in candidate, whatever. I mention this because if not, it's very unlikely you'll vote down ballot, for elections that are often overlooked but have been dominated by straight-line R voters that can have a real serious impact on your day-to-day life in your community. It's a small thing, but it can have a big impact if enough races end up going for a democrat or at least a politician who isn't on the complete far-right.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Prester Jane posted:

Hillary was the lesser evil candidate, selected over the greater good candidate up Bernie Sanders.

Unfortunately for individuals with your life experience such, the general public will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever be convinced to go along with supporting the lesser evil. As a result, any strategy that centers around supporting the lesser evil will always fail.

The present Sophie's Choice/complete moral collapse of the Democratic Party is something that people who were against lesser evilism have been warning about for many years. And now that systemic failure is here- from your comfortable chair you are insisting that the only moral course of action is to support a rapey white supremacist who puts children in dog cages.

You know what I think is madness? Someone who has extensively suffered at the hands of the GOP/Evangelical death cult equivocating between them and liberals.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

DreamingofRoses posted:

You know what I think is madness? Someone who has extensively suffered at the hands of the GOP/Evangelical death cult equivocating between them and liberals.

listen, fat, when the current democratic candidate called for the chemical lobotomization of black kids on the grounds they'd probably grow up to be criminals, he did it much more politely than Strom Thurmond did

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

DreamingofRoses posted:

I'm equivocating between my abusers and their willing enablers.

Liberals stand in the way of stopping the abuse in society more than the fascists do- recent American history has demonstrated this principle quite thoroughly.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Prester Jane posted:

Hillary was the lesser evil candidate, selected over the greater good candidate of Bernie Sanders.

Could you just like... Chill the gently caress out once in a while?

I have never seen someone so consistently up their own rear end with anger everytime they open their mouth.

And honestly, it is sort of rich to see you jerking yourself off about your moral purity. It feels like you are more happy to be right that the left hosed itself, fulfilling another of your doomsday shrieks than you'd be if something actually good happened for once.

Go fuckin chill for a bit, seriously.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

OneMoreTime posted:

So I understand the horrific distaste in voting Biden, and that's coming from someone who is incredibly likely to vote for him in the general election. I understand if you do not feel like you can vote for him or do not wish to. I do implore you to still vote, whether it's a third-party, write-in candidate, whatever. I mention this because if not, it's very unlikely you'll vote down ballot, for elections that are often overlooked but have been dominated by straight-line R voters that can have a real serious impact on your day-to-day life in your community. It's a small thing, but it can have a big impact if enough races end up going for a democrat or at least a politician who isn't on the complete far-right.

Oh yeah, definitely. I'm not even sure if I will vote Biden or not. At this point I'm not, but I'll write in Bernie. Either way, I'm definitely voting in general. I vote in every possible election and I urge others to do so, as well.

I'm exploring this idea in the thread because I want to be challenged and change my mind if there is a good enough reason. No pro-Biden poster in here has done that. It's constantly sidestepping the idea of how "vote blue no matter who" literally reinforces to the DNC to keep choosing center-right unelectable candidates.

Instead I'm getting poo poo like this:

Jarmak posted:

Not having a president is not an available option, if you want to make that dumb analogy fit then this is not "drink the chlorine if you don't have any better ideas" this is "drink the chlorine or drink the cyanide, no other options".

Biden 2020: Drink Chlorine or Drink Cyanide, No Other Options.

Wow that's very motivating. Also ignores the fact that I don't need to drink poison.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 9, 2020

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

OneMoreTime posted:

This is the correct view, honestly. I'm going in to vote for state reps and whatever local issues come up in the next few months, I'm just not going to fill in the box that says "rapist" next to it.

Kale
May 14, 2010

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Was our loving idiot President talk about pardoning Joe Exotic?

I was just joking with a guy in work a couple days ago that he was going to pardon Joe Exotic and make him his new Secretary of Agriculture cause he was on TV. He could even be used to connect further with Republicans as a big o'l beer guzzlin' and rednecky guy that used to own a bunch of tigers, made country music videos, and had a flamboyant personality provided they don't find out about or remember the whole homosexual thing. It legit just seems in line with Trump to pick up on the Tiger King story and buzz, that he ran for Governor once, pardon the guy for being "treated VERY unfairly by a nasty woman" and try to invite him into the fold.

He just seems straight up on brand like the kind of personality Trump would have invited on the Apprentice and would think is utterly brilliant and want to hire. Jeff Lowe too since he's basically a shady con-artist and swinger.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jarmak posted:

No, literally the arguement we're having is about selecting the lesser evil over the greater evil.

And you're telling us that when we didn't select the lesser evil in 2016 and got Trump the world went to poo poo so we should.... do the exact same thing because this time letting the greater evil win will give us better results.

on the other hand, eight years of the lesser evil Obama-Biden administration got us the Tea Party and Trump, so I'm not exactly sure why we should expect a better outcome after returning to the politics of 2012

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I too look forward to seeing more of VP Mayonnaise broadcasted every night.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Caros posted:

I have never seen someone so consistently up their own rear end with anger everytime they open their mouth.

And honestly, it is sort of rich to see you jerking yourself off about your moral purity. It feels like you are more happy to be right that the left hosed itself, fulfilling another of your doomsday shrieks than you'd be if something actually good happened for once.

Why are you so mad, you have Joe Biden to vote for!

He even has a (D) next to his name, which, as we both know, means he is a good person who will do good things.

No, my memory doesn't extend more than 5 seconds into the past, why do you ask?

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

FallenGod posted:

Your privilege is showing, partner.

The people who go to institutions of privatized education are the privileged ones.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

listen, fat, when the current democratic candidate called for the chemical lobotomization of black kids on the grounds they'd probably grow up to be criminals, he did it much more politely than Strom Thurmond did

Classy. I’m certainly enjoying the catastrophizing from someone who has probably never set foot in the south.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

The Sean posted:

Oh yeah, definitely. I'm not even sure if I will vote Biden or not. At this point I'm not, but I'll write in Bernie. Either way, I'm definitely voting in general. I vote in every possible election and I urge others to do so, as well.

a good general rule if you don't have the time to look up individual people on the ballot: if you're being asked to elect a judge, and you don't know yes or no, no is usually the safer bet.

unseating an elected judge is a HUGE pain in the rear end and getting visibility on a campaign to do so is a nightmare, so every little bit helps

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Prester Jane posted:

Hillary was the lesser evil candidate, selected over the greater good candidate up Bernie Sanders.

Unfortunately for privilege lanyard such as yourself, the general public will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever be convinced to go along with supporting the Lesser evil. As a result, any strategy that centers around supporting the Lesser evil will always fail.

This is gibberish wrapped in insults and condescension.

Picking Hillary over Bernie, for better or worse, has absolutely nothing to do with "lesser evilism". In order for a decision to be the lesser evil the alternative has to be a greater evil, and if you want to call Hillary evil and Bernie good then go ahead but no one here is arguing in favor of making Hillary the candidate in 2016 so I don't know why you're quoting me.

Your arguement is literally "we didn't choose the lesser evil last time and it loving sucked, which is evidence that we shouldn't choose the lesser evil".

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Caros posted:

It's not an act of "moral purity" to refuse to vote for a rapey white supremacist who puts children in dog cages. Nor am I "happy" that the left has hosed itself- in point of fact that's where much of my anger comes from. An incalculable amount of people are suffering because of the moral cowardice/greed of Nancy Pelosi, Chuck Schumer, and the rest of the DNC establishment.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

DreamingofRoses posted:

Classy. I’m certainly enjoying the catastrophizing from someone who has probably never set foot in the south.

hey, i'm just the messenger, he's the one who said it

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

a good general rule if you don't have the time to look up individual people on the ballot: if you're being asked to elect a judge, and you don't know yes or no, no is usually the safer bet.

unseating an elected judge is a HUGE pain in the rear end and getting visibility on a campaign to do so is a nightmare, so every little bit helps

That makes sense. Usually before an election I'll look up women's groups' and minority groups' take on different issues/candidates and generally get a feel from there. I'll make my own decisions but I analyze why they say yes/no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jarmak posted:

This is gibberish wrapped in insults and condescension.

Picking Hillary over Bernie, for better or worse, has absolutely nothing to do with "lesser evilism". In order for a decision to be the lesser evil the alternative has to be a greater evil, and if you want to call Hillary evil and Bernie good then go ahead but no one here is arguing in favor of making Hillary the candidate in 2016 so I don't know why you're quoting me.

Your arguement is literally "we didn't choose the lesser evil last time and it loving sucked, which is evidence that we shouldn't choose the lesser evil".

If Hillary had done worse maybe Democrats wouldn't be so enthusiastic about trying the same strategy again