Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

karthun posted:

The people who go to institutions of privatized education are the privileged ones.

Higher education costing money at all is a bad thing, hope this helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Xombie posted:

As someone who works for a public university, the way in which they depend on loan money is completely unsustainable long term. It is still allowing ballooning tuition and fees.

And when we take all of the billions of dollars that are spent subsidizing privatized education and dump it in public education the public debt load will dramatically decrease. But this will only happen when we have politicians who understand that public education is important. I see that at the state level but on the federal level everyone goes to the same 10 privatized colleges.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1248284537165152266

Better hope you get Corona and not cancer!

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Why are the people defending allowing Trump to have a second term pretending the people countering them are Biden supporters, and not just other Bernie supporters who don't want the Earth to be the surface of Mercury in 100 years?

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

FallenGod posted:

Higher education costing money at all is a bad thing, hope this helps.

Public higher education should be free. Privatized education shouldn't exist and until that dream happens not one penny of state funding should be put into it. If students still demand an education from a privatized institution loaded with loans then that's their choice.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

hey, i'm just the messenger, he's the one who said it

You’re loving disgusting. I’m so goddamn tired of online pundits who don’t give a gently caress about my area or the communities who live here until they need us, and then scream at the top of their lungs about things being rigged. The vulnerable communities here are the ones who feel the first and harshest effects of the fucksticks you guys keep comparing to centrists. They are not the same and you can take your goddamn temper tantrum over Bernie losing and shove it up your performatively left rear end.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

interesting detail in all this

Rick Scott is a pestilent shithead whose death would measurably improve the state of the world today. his greasy little fingerprints are all over the first corona relief bill, measurably worsening it. but Rick Scott has that Delaney money. Rick Scott is a guy who owns a lot of hospitals. Rick Scott is a guy who is uninterested in being worth less money when this is all over.

so Medicare is currently paying out a flat 20% extra money on anything hospitals proclaim to be COVID related

which means hospitals are very, very, VERY strongly incentivized to proclaim that your broken shoulder? Covid related. somehow. don't worry about it.

doctors of my professional acquaintance are convinced this is just going to be a backdoor into medicare for all by the end of this thing, and while i doubt that optimistic angle a great deal, much dumber poo poo has happened.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

See? Nothing to worry about. Now I can safely stay home and note vote this year in my beloved state that trump nearly won in 2016.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

But how you gonna pay for it??

He asked months ago, but which is apparently not important now.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Yawgmoft posted:

Why are the people defending allowing Trump to have a second term pretending the people countering them are Biden supporters, and not just other Bernie supporters who don't want the Earth to be the surface of Mercury in 100 years?

Some people in this thread already accepted Bernie was going to lose the primary a month ago when he had no viable path, and for others it wasn't real until yesterday.

Many of us are already past the acceptance stage, while some are just warming up their denial and anger.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

DreamingofRoses posted:

You’re loving disgusting. I’m so goddamn tired of online pundits who don’t give a gently caress about my area or the communities who live here until they need us, and then scream at the top of their lungs about things being rigged. The vulnerable communities here are the ones who feel the first and harshest effects of the fucksticks you guys keep comparing to centrists. They are not the same and you can take your goddamn temper tantrum over Bernie losing and shove it up your performatively left rear end.

So are you agreeing that Biden is bad here or what?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Tibalt posted:

Eh, it's still pretty bad that they're trying to incompetently manage this like another whistleblower scandal.

Barr jumping into the ring also has me pretty nervous - there's a pattern there of Trump trying to use Barr as his fixer, but you can't fix a pandemic.

oh its bad, i just noticed pence is smarter than trump is because its a "fair" deal. trump already starting to

Jarmak posted:

This is gibberish wrapped in insults and condescension.

Picking Hillary over Bernie, for better or worse, has absolutely nothing to do with "lesser evilism". In order for a decision to be the lesser evil the alternative has to be a greater evil, and if you want to call Hillary evil and Bernie good then go ahead but no one here is arguing in favor of making Hillary the candidate in 2016 so I don't know why you're quoting me.

Your arguement is literally "we didn't choose the lesser evil last time and it loving sucked, which is evidence that we shouldn't choose the lesser evil".

i think the hosed up thing is alot of indies considered trump to be the "lesser evil" than clinton. i think that has changed quite a bit now though.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Manager Hoyden posted:

But how you gonna pay for it??

He asked months ago, but which is apparently not important now.

You pay for M4A by taxing the gently caress out of the rich so much that you end up cutting taxes on the poor in the processes and tax the rich some more for good measure. This is the easiest question you will ever have to answer. Don't know why some on the left are so scared of it. (Its because they don't want M4A to be permanent government spending)

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

karthun posted:

Public higher education should be free. Privatized education shouldn't exist and until that dream happens not one penny of state funding should be put into it. If students still demand an education from a privatized institution loaded with loans then that's their choice.

Lets meet in the middle: free public university, revoke the accreditation of private universities and drone strike Liberty U.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

DreamingofRoses posted:

and Joseph Robinette Biden's stance on that practice, consistently, over the course of his career, has been "Good, do it to them harder next time." all in the name of keeping Delaware white, clean, and safe to be used as a tax shelter.

that you dislike hearing this is unfortunate. it does not make the statement less true.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

The Sean posted:

Oh yeah, definitely. I'm not even sure if I will vote Biden or not. At this point I'm not, but I'll write in Bernie. Either way, I'm definitely voting in general. I vote in every possible election and I urge others to do so, as well.

I'm exploring this idea in the thread because I want to be challenged and change my mind if there is a good enough reason. No pro-Biden poster in here has done that. It's constantly sidestepping the idea of how "vote blue no matter who" literally reinforces to the DNC to keep choosing center-right unelectable candidates.

Instead I'm getting poo poo like this:

Biden 2020: Drink Chlorine or Drink Cyanide, No Other Options.

Wow that's very motivating. Also ignores the fact that I don't need to drink poison.

Pretty much. Biden's reach for the presidency is ill-fated as it is. I don't see anything in him that screams "he deserves my vote!".

I'll still go out and vote for everyone else, but loving :lol: if you think that you can force me to vote for someone I see zero merit in just so the other guy who also has zero merit can be voted out.

Tell me why Biden deserves my vote; tell me why the rapey swiss-cheese-brained mushmouth deserves my consideration. "Just because he's not Trump" is not a good answer. I hate Trump too. I'm sick of him too. I'm sick of the constant narcissism, the tweets, the insults, the propaganda, the lies. But can you really look me in the face, and tell me, very honestly, that any of this will be any better with Biden? Because I ain't seein' it.

This is 2016 all over again, where the most unqualified and unlikely nominee gets pushed into the highest position of power-- except this time, it's the most unqualified and unlikely nominee against the OTHER most unqualified and unlikely nominee.

I may have said in the past that I'd hold my nose and vote for Biden, but that was before the rape allegations came out, and that was before I knew more about him, and that was before he presented himself as a demented fool being pushed into the spotlight rather than a nursing home. I'm not convinced anymore.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Lemming posted:

If Hillary had done worse maybe Democrats wouldn't be so enthusiastic about trying the same strategy again

At least this is an actual arguement

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

bad news, they're linked, and the reason is that as a result of reconciling yourself to the lesser evil you make that Ohio janitor totally unattainable. you sacrifice your moral standing, and in exchange you get nothing.

aside from the brief frisson of patting yourself on the back for just how pragmatic you're being.

as an example from elsewhere in recent american history, consider those dog cages for children the Obama administration erected. how -practical- they were. what a brilliant master stroke, to take the Republican policy of purging the untermenschen and demonstrate Democrats could not only do it, they could do it BETTER than the Republicans did. we achieved unparalleled throughput on getting rid of people deemed undesirable to the nation.

what was the payoff for doing so.

No, they're not linked, you're just trying to dodge an arguement about what should be by hiding behind what is. Not voting is either a moral choice or it isn't (even if it is fundamentally unresolvable here in this thread), whether doing the right thing is enough to motivate voters to turn out in the face of not getting the changes to their life they want is is a completely different question.

One is a question of what a voter should do, while the other is a question of what will actually happen with no regard to what should happen.

Which is an especially asinine smokescreen to throw up when defending your own voting behavior because your decision to not vote doesn't magically become moral because a low-info janitor in Ohio is apathetic.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 9, 2020

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
All of the people itt arguing against "lesser evil" logic should be forced to provide an affirmative explanation of why a second Trump term would be a better outcome than a Biden first term or eat a probe

It's so loving tiresome

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

sit on my Facebook posted:

All of the people itt arguing against "lesser evil" logic should be forced to provide an affirmative explanation of why a second Trump term would be a better outcome than a Biden first term or eat a probe

It's so loving tiresome

I am arguing against voting for a rapist.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

FallenGod posted:

Lets meet in the middle: free public university, revoke the accreditation of private universities and drone strike Liberty U.

You need to throw out every politician who has a degree from a private university. Prevent any federal employee who has a private degree from any SES position or higher.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Meridian posted:

So are you agreeing that Biden is bad here or what?

He’s better than Trump. Yes, he’s bad, but he is not the same and his impact in vulnerable and impoverished communities will not be the same. Cf: Nikki Haley vs McMaster for emergency response.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Meridian posted:

Cool. So your not voting for a rapist will prevent other rapists who are worse from being elected?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

Through her actions and her history, Elizabeth Warren has demonstrated that she is not an ally. She couldn't even be bothered to help out the tribe she pretends to be a member of. "Imperfect"? Really?
Yeah? You're allowed to think she's lovely. But it's asinine to want her out of office and it's gross to engage in fantasies about Trump beating her.

quote:

Yes? Why should I expect otherwise? His actions and his history demonstrates that he'll happily do it. What exactly has changed? During his time as Vice President of the United States he repeatedly and actively tried to reach out to Republicans.
No, man. Be clear in what you're arguing: Biden would nominate someone like Thomas of Kavanaugh? I'm not arguing that Biden won't nominate a lovely moderate. We need someone who can kick rear end on voting rights and corporations, and we probably won't get that with Biden. But part of the problem with these discussions is we lose nuance of policy making. Biden's pleasant sounding bipartisanship looks a lot less nice when you look at the disgusting things he's supported when you look back on them. But the benefit of Biden's slimyness is that's he's malleable. Biden isn't playing a long con to trick us into crime bills and taking away abortion rights. He's just a lovely guy who tends to move with the zeitgeist. That sucks, but it's also weird to play at the DNC to be this shady conspiracy when it's convenient for an argument and then imply that Biden is just going to go rogue and vote for a Conservative because he has bipartisanship madness or something. Like him being adamant about nominating Garland is probably the worst case scenario.

quote:

You are comparing "not going naked and starving" to "not elevating a rapist to the most powerful position in the country".
No, I'm not. I'm suggesting that people overlook these moral compromises and often do nothing to push back against them. I'll be more clear: Voting for President just isn't that meaningful of an action, but we're imbuing it with this weird moral purity that we don't for any other aspect of our lives. Either you care enough--I don't know you--to do meaningful things to fight against inequality outside of presidential elections or you should consider why this one thing is where you're drawing lines in the sand.

quote:

Then the DNC should force him to withdraw and replace him with an acceptable candidate. Choosing an unacceptable choice doesn't make you mature, or wise, or rational, or anything like that. It means you've chosen an unacceptable choice.
Yeah man they probably should have, and to be clear, I think people are loving dead wrong with the notion that Biden was the chosen candidate. The General had more viable candidates for a General outside of Sanders. If they wanted to clear the way for Biden, they did a lovely job at it. This is all to say, it's not really in anyone's power to really stop Biden. He was the choice the majority of Democrats made.

But I like Biden's education platform and want it to succeed. If we can't get sane healthcare, we can at least try to get everyone insured and sure up Obamacare. We need to stop the judge packing from the right. And I'm aware that these things need to not happen, but I think it is more meaningful to vote for the shot of them happening then essentially voting for what could be much worse things happening.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
This is not 2016 all over again. In 2016 people weren't sure what would happen if Trump became president.

2020 is after 4 years of everyone marinating in Donald J. Trump as President of the United States.

That's a huge difference.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

DreamingofRoses posted:

Cool. So your not voting for a rapist will prevent other rapists who are worse from being elected?

My not voting for a rapist will mean that I didn't vote for a rapist.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's so loving tiresome

It wouldn't be. I'm still not loving voting for a rapist.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Jarmak posted:

No, they're not linked, you're just trying to dodge an arguement about what should be by hiding behind what is. Not voting is either a moral choice or it isn't (even if it is fundamentally resolvable), whether doing the right thing is enough to motivate voters to turn out in the face of not getting the changes to their life they want is is a completely different question.

One is a question of what a voter should do, while the other is a question of what will actually happen with no regard to what should happen.

Which is an especially asinine smokescreen to throw up when defending your own voting behavior because your decision to not vote doesn't magically become moral because a low-info janitor in Ohio is apathetic.

also not going to hunt. if you're going to talk about what should happen, the question "should you actively demonstrate your support for a rapist" ends this conversation very quickly.

the only way to start to make the case for Biden is to expand the question outwards, and as we start adding more variables to the mix that Ohio guy who voted for Obama because he liked him, and didn't vote for Hillary because he didn't like her, is going to enter the equation.

and with him, the reason why lesser-evilism is not just a moral failure, it's also a strategic one.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Meridian posted:

So just to be clear you do not actually have an affirmative case to make for why trump is preferable

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

karthun posted:

You need to throw out every politician who has a degree from a private university. Prevent any federal employee who has a private degree from any SES position or higher.

You drive a hard bargain, but politics is all about compromise.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

DreamingofRoses posted:

Sorry, but some of us aren't willing to do galaxy-brain mental calculus to determine who the least bad rapist is, gently caress 'em all

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Arist posted:

Sorry, but some of us aren't willing to do galaxy-brain mental calculus to determine who the least bad rapist is, gently caress 'em all

That's because your social and political analysis is utterly juvenile and selfish

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

That's because your social and political analysis is utterly juvenile and selfish

i hear you man. these women and their rape hangups, amirite

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

FallenGod posted:

You drive a hard bargain, but politics is all about compromise.

But i'm still going to hold firm on not one penny of debt forgiveness for students who have demanded privatized education.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Instead of insult slinging, why don't you tell us the merits of why Biden would be better? I asked earlier and I'm still waiting for an answer.

I can still be convinced! But that actually, you know, takes some convincing, as to why I should hold my nose again and say "yeah, I'll vote for the senile rapist, this will bring a positive change to the nation that we aren't seeing with Trump".

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So just to be clear you do not actually have an affirmative case to make for why trump is preferable

When did I ever say Trump is preferable? They are both detestable. I am not voting for Trump either.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

It's so loving tiresome

Trump is better on trade (Biden helped pass NAFTA), foreign policy (his handling of the Middle East has been better than Biden's), and Trump doesn't seem to care about the debt and deficit and won't cut Social Security and Medicare in the name of "Fiscal Responsibility."

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

Actually, joe biden is a rapist and I'm really confused as to why you think its a good use of your time to demand people vote for rapist when they've made it clear they won't, because he's a rapist. Maybe you should get out the vote for people you can actually convince instead of whining at people who will not, okay?

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I hear moderate Republicans are open to voting for rapists.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Biden would be a better result than Trump. But I live in CT, so my vote doesn't actually matter, and therefore I don't actually have to make that horrible choice. I'm not the one you actually need to convince. Good luck.

Before people loving jump on me I always planned to vote downticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
Not wanting Trump to be president any more isn't "galaxy-brain mental calculus"