Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

boar guy posted:

call customer service. there's no way that store is taking those ducks back but you should get to pay the chicken price

That's the reasonable thing to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Seems like a real bad idea to set up americans into thinking we will only have 60,000 deaths when it looks like there will be a lot more than that.

if it starts to look like they are wrong, they can just stop testing people who die or say they died of pneumonia or some unknown respiratory disease or organ failure or just not say anything, and then suddenly they are right

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Bleusilences posted:

that's what Insta does- although their customer service is backed up for days right now

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Earwicker posted:

if it starts to look like they are wrong, they can just stop testing people who die or say they died of pneumonia or some unknown respiratory disease or organ failure or just not say anything, and then suddenly they are right

Can you imagine old people home filled with dead and the authority just saying "welp that's pneumonia all right'.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Bleusilences posted:

Can you imagine old people home filled with dead and the authority just saying "welp that's pneumonia all right'.

a lot of local red authorities so yes

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

Wtf is there like a tip jar at the pond

actually i bet that its i live in an area with material demand so bigger supply

the one thing cheaper in the sfba, maybe

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Bleusilences posted:

i can definitely imagine that and im very afraid that pretty soon, we wont have to imagine it. more likely they wont even bother saying its pneumonia. old people home? they died of old age.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Bleusilences posted:

I would assume they'll make this happen but if they won't do anything reasonable to fix this I'd honestly just try and do a chargeback on your credit card.

I went shopping three weeks ago and stocked up fairly well and then went again a week ago and basically hit maximum stocked upedness and now I'm not going back until were well past the peak which should be possible unless the peak is like 2 months away or more. But I have a 30 cubic foot fridge and a 20 cubic foot freezer and pantry items have overflowed into a spare bedroom so obviously not everyone can do that.

Mozi posted:

vote for bernie

To all the people like this getting probed you can't makes post that are 100% politics in this thread if you haven't already figured it out. What you can do is make posts that are 90% politics and then work something that is at least tangentially 'roni related in and you're safe. Take a lesson from this guy who managed to bitch about Obama, Clinton, Biden, and democrats in general all in one post but didn't get probed because he also bitched about China which is at least nominally corona related.

revwinnebago posted:

The hardest part of this is watching people who just want to blame Orange Man, as if that will solve the problem.

I wish it was that simple. America has been doing this whole moving our medical manufacturing to China and hurricane-beset tropical islands since like the Reagan era (presumably, as part of the larger shifts in manufacturing, although maybe that sector lagged?). And for people who have trouble keeping track, that would include Clinton and Obama.

Meanwhile Biden is a pinnacle of mental stability, just what the country needs to turn this ship a hey there young lady (sniff) now what was I saying about Luhan?

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

It was long but it never got uninteresting or too off point. 5/10 on a regular day but I'll give it 6.8 during a pandemic

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

I would assume they'll make this happen but if they won't do anything reasonable to fix this I'd honestly just try and do a chargeback on your credit card.

I went shopping three weeks ago and stocked up fairly well and then went again a week ago and basically hit maximum stocked upedness and now I'm not going back until were well past the peak which should be possible unless the peak is like 2 months away or more. But I have a 30 cubic foot fridge and a 20 cubic foot freezer and pantry items have overflowed into a spare bedroom so obviously not everyone can do that.

To all the people like this getting probed you can't makes post that are 100% politics in this thread if you haven't already figured it out. What you can do is make posts that are 90% politics and then work something that is at least tangentially 'roni related in and you're safe. Take a lesson from this guy who managed to bitch about Obama, Clinton, Biden, and democrats in general all in one post but didn't get probed because he also bitched about China which is at least nominally corona related.

Tone is also super important to mods (well I bet in varies from mod to mod some but as far as this thread goes it is). It's not about what you say so much as how you say it. If x doing something lovely you better be nice about pointing it out! Anyway my peapod (grocery delivery) reserved time has twice disappeared on me. Like I reserve a time, when I wake up it's gone. It's kind of annoying I need those Ruffle All Dressed chips.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
In the long run, the best strategy for the health and well-being (including financial well-being) of Americans is for the Government to give solid statistical projections for deaths and infections, then tell Americans that they need to quarantine and social distance as much as possible to reach the lowest possible projections. Officials would need to step up and repeatedly recognize out loud that the cost of not doing these things is death and hospitalization, and that we must do them to make sure society can stand back up when it's all said and done.

In the short run, the best strategy is to tell people, every day, that the worst is over, we're at or past the peak (depending on if today's numbers are higher or lower than yesterday's) and they can go back to work whenever they want to because it's all over. This will cost hundreds of thousands of lives and millions of hospitalizations but will stop the economy from stalling out and minimize the amount of financial support the Government will have to give out. In the long run, however, it will definitely kill more people and may actually cause a Depression as key people in various economic sectors get hospitalized long-term or die, leaving empty shells of businesses to crumble because the things they need to do to stay in business simply are not done. It's a short-sighted strategy with great cost and minimal benefits to the vast majority of Americans.

So of course the second strategy is what the GOP is going with, and they will absolutely continue saying the worst is over until it is, at which point they will declare they were right all along. We are literally at a point where the government's advice will lead to a near-worst-possible outcome, and that's kind of terrifying.

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

who the gently caress pays for a duck? they are free

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

im gay for corona virus chat, that is! Thanks burt!!

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

slow_twitch posted:

Only if they're in season and according to this sign planted in the middle of the forest it's currently Wabbit season.

e: I was mistaken, it is currently Duck season.

e2: my bad, my original assessment was correct.

dudeness fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 9, 2020

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i know everyone is ordering everything in right now and i did insta for a while and still get their emails and stuff so as a reminder:

the apps lie about how much of the tip the driver gets. universally. tip them in cash if you want them to get it.
the drivers are literally risking their lives so you dont have to so try not to be such a loving karen about things. (this is not aimed at anyone in particular. just general advice.)
sample pay- insta in my area, which pays better than others, has a promo right now, if you do 15 deliveries in 6 days they'll give you an extra $150, so that's $17 per run base pay. right now it's probabably taking at least 2 hours to do that run. capitalism accordingly.
consider getting your own poo poo. no one drives for a delivery service because they want to or because it pays well. its a desperate thing to do and right now its even more desperate. be flexible. be human. be nice.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

boar guy posted:

furious at the poor person risking their life to get your groceries? furious?

:rolleyes: Furious at ignoring the "no subs" instructions and picking up something six times the original price. Like everyone else has said, the right thing to do is for the store to let him keep the quackers for the clucker price.

I have masks now and I work from home so if I'm out already I'll shop for myself. Otherwise I tip the Instacart/Shipt people 20-25%% in cash and give them some variation of the line "you guys are the real heroes" because it's true. Be nice to them.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

There really should be a system set up for no-contact deliveries of groceries so that people don't congregate in stores to buy what they need to survive and grocery workers don't get exposed to hundreds of strangers each day.

As long as things are well managed and you're not talking about hings like Instacart where the people are going round picking things off shelves (in which case the risk is literally being outsourced for cash) then the delivery people are exposed to less risk than cashiers and in store stock people.

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

dudeness posted:

Only if they're in season and according to this sign planted in the middle of the forest it's currently Wabbit season.

e: I was mistaken, it is currently Duck season.

e2: my bad, my original assessment was correct.

just go to the river bank and grab one nobody cares

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

slow_twitch posted:

just go to the river bank and grab one nobody cares

Suddenly North American Duck Flu.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Pick posted:

Wtf is there like a tip jar at the pond

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Hazo posted:

:rolleyes: Furious at ignoring the "no subs" instructions and picking up something six times the original price.

the instacart app, anyway, makes it a real pain in the rear end NOT to substitute something, and lowers your tip if you don't. there are a poo poo ton of people out there that are new to it and intimidated by it. if you can afford the markup on delivered groceries you can carry the difference while they work through the back log and eventually fix it

'id be furious' is some customer is always right bullshit, especially now

edit: all im saying is chill a lil'

boar guy fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Apr 9, 2020

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Didn't instacart change to give 100% of tips? (as it should be) At least that's what I recall reading at some point and as we all know companies can't lie.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Hazo posted:

Like everyone else has said, the right thing to do is for the store to let him keep the quackers for the clucker price.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

:lol:

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

boar guy posted:

call customer service. there's no way that store is taking those ducks back but you should get to pay the chicken price

Doesn’t the driver tell you what the subs are at the door and take them away and refund if you don’t want them? That’s what the Tesco drivers do here.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

monkeytennis posted:

Doesn’t the driver tell you what the subs are at the door and take them away and refund if you don’t want them? That’s what the Tesco drivers do here.

Here they just leave the groceries at the door at a specific time, there's no interaction. At least with this store. I left the tip in an envelope attached to the door. They're partnered with DoorDash apparently.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

monkeytennis posted:

this was a grocery store app and they are all different. on insta you can communicate substitutions to the customer while you shop.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
https://twitter.com/kayewhitehead/status/1248110661219033088

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Jesus christ :(

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
https://boingboing.net/2020/04/09/thomas-kinkade-painting-of-toi.html

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
My eldest bro got the roni and is in ICU since day before yesterday :(

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

LOL @ kansas. Jesus is more important than life I guess.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1248319601647247361

Either Boris healed super fast, or he was a weeny and took someone's hospital spot

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Mnoba posted:

Either Boris healed super fast, or he was a weeny and took someone's hospital spot

Wrong on both accounts. It was hydrocloriquizine!! it's a MIRACLE DUG!!! WE NEED TO GET PEOPLE ON IT NOW!!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

tater_salad posted:

LOL @ kansas. Jesus is more important than life I guess.

You see, if you catch the 'roni, it's because you didn't believe hard enough

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

tater_salad posted:

Wrong on both accounts. It was hydrocloriquizine!! it's a MIRACLE DUG!!! WE NEED TO GET PEOPLE ON IT NOW!!

Narrator: "In fact, the plaquenil did nothing."

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Lodin posted:

Finally it's acceptable for me to wear the Greatfull Dead Bandana my uncle gave me years ago.

The material bandanas are made of is so thin that it offers very little benefit. Almost any other type of material is better.

https://nyti.ms/2wgpCTB

Also almost any other type of material won't have greatfull dead designs on it which is maybe more important.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Mnoba posted:

If antibody transfusions work you can figure out who'd be on the top of the list to get one.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
https://twitter.com/Craig_A_Spencer/status/1248091120766267392

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

slow_twitch posted:

I am glad that we can all focus on what matters in this trying time

https://youtu.be/p_IQe9-smD4