Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

opposable thumbs.db posted:

I don't know Canadian population distribution that well but I'd imagine it's a lot more centralized into a few cities than the US is. I would expect that'd lead to a faster initial spread

This is true, there are definitely areas where you hardly ever come within 2 meters of someone during normal times.

I looked into a more precise breakdown. Roughly, Montreal has 25% of all cases in Canada. I think part of the reason could be that transit is such a huge thing in this city, so a huge number of people take it every day (cramped buses, trains and metro cars), and if you're downtown lol you're almost never going to be more than 1 meter away from someone, let alone 2.

The rest of Quebec is another 25% of all Canadian cases, with Quebec as a whole having slightly more than half of all Canadian cases.

Surprisingly, while Ontario has another 25%, only about 25% of that total is in Toronto. I'm pretty sure Toronto has had it the longest due to being such a focal point for international travel from Europe.

Alberta has 1400ish cases and BC has 1300ish cases (like 14%ish combined) of which 600 are in Vancouver and a little over 400 just outside of the greater Vancouver area.

The remaining provinces have 220-350 cases with the exception of PEI with 25 cases.

Yukon has 7, NWT has 5, and Nunavut reigns supreme with 0 cases, aided by how isolated it is (no roads lead into it and the few settlements are very far apart to the point of travel between them not really being much of a thing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

goddamnit

https://twitter.com/Fxhedgers/status/1248313743886319616

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
leave grocery store job listings on their door

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

plot twist: in a hearse

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

he is now in the morgue, lol

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Dolphin posted:

overall are people getting more or less healthy from the quarantine?

i've lost weight making all my own food and i'm getting more exercise doing outdoor activities. i wonder if that's common or if people are just sitting around eating junk food

I'm down around five pounds because I can't go to the gym anymore and my exercise routine is almost entirely running now, so I've lost muscle mass and am also burning about 3000 calories a day as a baseline.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

now being moved to a secure location via hearse

mystes
May 31, 2006

Spergin Morlock posted:

he is now in the morgue, lol
Rest assured that he's still available to make decisions through a spirit medium.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
that IHME model is hilarious. Massive one day spike in daily deaths and the next day is peak deaths lmao

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Nah this is the brief period of recovery before people start going downhill fast. It's the bull trap of Covid.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

I want to listen to this band

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

C-Euro posted:

I'm down around five pounds because I can't go to the gym anymore and my exercise routine is almost entirely running now, so I've lost muscle mass and am also burning about 3000 calories a day as a baseline.
i'm building a garage in my backyard so i've been doing a lot of lifting doing that. i also have a small home gym in my basement. i'm hoping to maintain muscle mass, so far things seem okay.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

Dolphin posted:

i've lost weight making all my own food and i'm getting more exercise doing outdoor activities. i wonder if that's common or if people are just sitting around eating junk food

i think Americans generally are more often stress / depressed / bored eaters than they are stress not-eaters, and I would expect that for everyone for whom the public health crisis has lit a fire under their rear end to take the reins of their physical health, there are many more who have let go of the rope completely

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

alas bojo survives to die another day

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pretty sure all the bad people are going to be fine

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

like what's the plan with evicting folks, are landlords thinking they have a ton of folks clamoring to get into these apartments?

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

"His recovery is incredible", said Dr Praveen. "I've never seen anything like it". The Prime Minister stepped out of the hospital looking 20 years younger, bare chested and rippling with muscle. "I feel great,

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Dolphin posted:

I've been eating raisin bran every morning, I want some bacon and eggs and home fries that I don't have to cook. :(

Rynn has issued a correction as of 19:25 on Apr 9, 2020

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

eighty-four merc posted:

i think Americans generally are more often stress / depressed / bored eaters than they are stress not-eaters, and I would expect that for everyone for whom the public health crisis has lit a fire under their rear end to take the reins of their physical health, there are many more who have let go of the rope completely

I’ve lost 20 pound! Feels good, I guess I was addicted to gigantic sandwiches the whole time.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

eighty-four merc posted:

has there been any insight from places w rigorous testing (eg Korea, China) as to whether there are COVID-19 patients who never develop symptoms?

are does "asymptomatic cases" mean "incubating cases that are presently asymptomatic"?

this has been something I haven't been able to get clarity on in my own research that's been driving me a little nuts

It's currently unclear. That said it does seem that a lot of the people who were initially thought to be asymptomatic were, in fact, either mild cases or pre-symptomatic. As far as I can tell the general thinking is that there are asymptomatic cases but the level might be lower than initially thought.

It's another thing, like the immunity period, where the jury is still very much out.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Cithen posted:

I want to listen to this band

mortal kombat theme song extended (10 hours)

https://youtu.be/BDww1S1GLvE

huh, must be a jam band

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Cithen posted:

like what's the plan with evicting folks, are landlords thinking they have a ton of folks clamoring to get into these apartments?

It doesn't matter, it's about "I own this place and if you don't pay me, gtfo. No freeloaders."

kater
Nov 16, 2010

2020 year of tomorrow is peak death day

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Mexico finally admitted official infection numbers are probably useless, health sec confirmed infections are not 3,000 but more likely 26,000, while critics say it’s 80,000

basically no testing

so that’s how they were keeping low numbers, very smart yes nobody was gonna figure that out

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Any guesses when I'll be able to buy disinfectants again? I might have to stop ordering anything but dry goods in a couple weeks.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

anywhere with natural borders can set up checkpoints on bridges at state line and do mandatory 14 day quarantines for any non commercial trucking and then say see you in 4 years in court, iowa, you stay the gently caress on the west of the mississippi

Yeah. California used to have inspection stations on the state line to take your fruit away, and I think it was one of those things everyone just decided it wasn't worth fighting about.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Anecdotally the local public health department has been basically multiplying their confirmed case count by 10 for something close to an actual figure.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

PerniciousKnid posted:

Any guesses when I'll be able to buy disinfectants again? I might have to stop ordering anything but dry goods in a couple weeks.

may 28th

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

should leave a list of trauma centers on his

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rynn posted:

I've been eating raisin brain every morning, I want some bacon and eggs and home fries that I don't have to cook. :(
ooh, here's what you do.

the night before, cut up your potatoes into home fries and boil them briefly in water with about a half teaspoon of baking soda and a tablespoon of salt (until they're soft enough to stick a fork in but not falling apart) when they're done, shake them all up in the pot until they get covered with creamy potato guts. shove them in a bowl and put them in the fridge

in the morning preheat your oven to 410 degrees, throw the bacon on a tinfoil lined pan and throw it in the oven for ~20 minutes.

then just throw as much butter as you want in a pan, fry the homefries, and fry the eggs. shouldn't take longer than 10 minutes total in the morning.

i know it sounds like i just said "make home fries bacon and eggs" but it's a lot more manageable and quick this way.

Dolphin has issued a correction as of 19:40 on Apr 9, 2020

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

are 20-30 minutes of being in the sun enough for vitamin D? I try to get that from my window

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

if you add baking soda to the water you parboil the taters in they'll end up crispier

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spoondick posted:

if you add baking soda to the water you parboil the taters in they'll end up crispier
yeah i totally forgot this step

Rynn
Jul 23, 2003

Dolphin posted:

ooh, here's what you do.

cut up your potatoes into home fries and boil them briefly (until they're soft enough to stick a fork in but not falling apart) the night before. wash them before and after boiling, shove them in a bowl and put them in the fridge. if you want them really crispy, don't wash them after, throw a teaspoon of baking soda and some salt in the water, and shake the gently caress out of them when they're done. then throw them in the fridge.

in the morning preheat your oven to 410 degrees, throw the bacon on a tinfoil lined pan and throw it in the oven for ~20 minutes.

then just throw as much butter as you want in a pan, fry the homefries, and fry the eggs. shouldn't take longer than 10 minutes total in the morning.

i know it sounds like i just said "make home fries bacon and eggs" but it's a lot more manageable and quick this way.

That sounds super easy, let me try that tomorrow morning. Shouldn't take long to cut up some potatoes tonight and prep them. Thank you!

jacksonchan
Jun 29, 2005

Dolphin posted:

yeah i totally forgot this step

How much baking soda do you add?

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jacksonchan posted:

How much baking soda do you add?
a half teaspoon.

it's the same as this recipe except you fry it in butter instead of roasting in the oven:
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/12/the-best-roast-potatoes-ever-recipe.html

jacksonchan
Jun 29, 2005

Dolphin posted:

a half teaspoon.

it's the same as this recipe except you fry it in butter instead of roasting in the oven:
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/12/the-best-roast-potatoes-ever-recipe.html

Thanks! I bought a bunch of potatoes during my grocery run yesterday, I will definitely try this out.

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

Dolphin posted:

a half teaspoon.

j kenji lopez alt is my nemesis, an insufferable shitlib

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Agean90 posted:

the complete lack of sports is going to have consequences down the line but I have no idea what they will be

I can't wait to see what americans try to distract themselves with when the circus is gone and they can only think of the bread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

seattle plague rat posted:

j kenji lopez alt is my nemesis, an insufferable shitlib
he's one of those people that needs to shut the gently caress up about anything but food. he knows what he's talking about in the kitchen and he thinks that carries over to other aspects of life for some reason.