Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Styles Bitchley posted:

The new Mk8 GTI has been revealed:

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/geneva-motor-show-2020/finally-mk8-volkswagen-golf-gti

Nice power jump, not really feeling the interior or exterior. Might grow on me though.

Yikes. That front end and bedazzled fog lights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Yeah idk if I'm just getting old but I'm definitely reaching that point where all my favorite brands keep making worse and worse versions of everything I like lol

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
same but i am almost sure it's because i am getting old because i remember old ppl complaining about poo poo i like

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i think "new cars comparatively suck for driving due to the safety / mpg compromises" is a fairly objective and widely accepted take

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

So many new vehicles are doing this styling cue where it looks like someone cut the top 2-3" off the headlights and drew a straight line across them and it looks like poo poo to me.

These cars all have myasthenia gravis or some poo poo, I'm guessing these are the images on the Inspiration Boards in the office:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Really other than the steering wheel I like it? :shrug:

DrChu
May 14, 2002

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
We are slowly reaching the Cylon aesthetic and I am all for them ending this lovely timeline we live in tbqh.

:roboluv::awesomelon:

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

That GTI looks great, you guys are insane. Are you the same AI posters who think 80s cars and wood paneling is cool now too?

Obviously the wheels are terrible, VW has never made a good looking GTI wheel in any generation.

Pryor on Fire fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 29, 2020

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It's just where the hood meets the lights for me. It looks unnatural.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The front end looks like a Malibu with the hood and headlights.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
I was going to say Mallard, as in the locomotive

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Fwiw I love the look of Lincoln sedans and their tail lights so I am okay with this.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Pryor on Fire posted:

That GTI looks great, you guys are insane. Are you the same AI posters who think 80s cars and wood paneling is cool now too?

Obviously the wheels are terrible, VW has never made a good looking GTI wheel in any generation.

The plaid is too thin, they make up for that by putting thick cheap looking red stripes on the seat. Car kind of has that Camry Sport trying-too-hard look. Kind of tired of the "black gaping maw" look. It's not terrible though. I don't know how I feel about getting rid of climate control knobs. Looking forward to more pictures in the real world, especially in other colors.

As far as GTI wheels the gray Watkins Glen/Laguna wheels they put on Mk6 are awesome looking. One of the few wheels that wasn't just another boring machine finish variant.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Pryor on Fire posted:

I don't know, I think the Praetorias look pretty good.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I phrased that wrong, VW has made lots of good looking wheels, but the default GTI wheel choice has always been mystifying and terrible.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pryor on Fire posted:

I phrased that wrong, VW has made lots of good looking wheels, but the default GTI wheel choice has always been mystifying and terrible.

I'm pretty happy about my Classix tbh. They're fairly boring but they've done so much worse.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
A stupid question: I think it's time to replace the windshield wipers on my fiance's 2016 TTS. Do these use some kind of replaceable insert, or should I buy a particular wiper for them? I like whatever came on the car (purchased as a CPO about a year ago).

Only the left side comes up on FCP Euro, no right side:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-wiper-blade-front-left-tt-900-22-7b

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Those are single-piece wipers. The specific wiper doesn't matter too much, just the size, which should be in your owner's manual. There are lots of substitutes - Bosch Icons are pretty well regarded and I've used them successfully in the past.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

The BBS wheels on the mk5s look good I might just be biased since that's the ones that are on mine.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
Dear God, I've never looked at the fog lights up close before. Why did they interrupt the honeycomb pattern like that? Aargh!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Dielectric posted:

Dear God, I've never looked at the fog lights up close before. Why did they interrupt the honeycomb pattern like that? Aargh!

To distract you from how horrible the full-width lower grille looks. By showing you something even more horrible.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MetaJew posted:

A stupid question: I think it's time to replace the windshield wipers on my fiance's 2016 TTS. Do these use some kind of replaceable insert, or should I buy a particular wiper for them? I like whatever came on the car (purchased as a CPO about a year ago).

Only the left side comes up on FCP Euro, no right side:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/audi-wiper-blade-front-left-tt-900-22-7b

get PIAA silicone wipers if you can, they own

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

BraveUlysses posted:

get PIAA silicone wipers if you can, they own

Any opinions on the beam style "Si-Tech" vs the "Aero Vogue"?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ime i didnt like the beam blades very much when i got bosch icons. i think they dont do to well on icy surfaces either

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

ime i didnt like the beam blades very much when i got bosch icons. i think they dont do to well on icy surfaces either

they're not very good at ice and snow but traditional non-winter blades are worse

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
walnut shell blasting on the 2.0 turbos, any issues? what's a fair price?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I paid $250 at the dealer to get mine done, buuuuuut they already had it apart to replace the injectors so I’m sure the “get to it” labor was rolled into the other parts of the job.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Styles Bitchley posted:

walnut shell blasting on the 2.0 turbos, any issues? what's a fair price?

After removing the intake (& all that THAT entailed) to tackle the job myself, the $500 quoted by the euro shop down the road sounded more and more like a bargain.

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Rare opportunity came up yesterday to photograph (poorly) both of my cars at once.

flightless greeb fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 9, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you have good taste in colors greeb

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Tyty out of like all the cars I've owned fully a third of them have been black and I got sick of it. Colors only from now on!!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Ugh, between not being able to go much of anywhere and pollen season my lovely white Mk7 is a horrifying shade of yellow and dirt. :(

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Deviant posted:

Ugh, between not being able to go much of anywhere and pollen season my lovely white Mk7 is a horrifying shade of yellow and dirt. :(

On this note, I’ve washed my brand new s4 in a touch less car wash four times since I got it ( I’m one of the assholes on the road right now but I can’t help it) and I think I’m already seeing some paint swirls. I’m Thinking since I have nothing but time I might buy a detailing kit and and get it looking nice then do a spray ceramic coating. Has anyone here dealt with the at home spray coating kits and have an opinion on whether it’s worth it? I’m also wondering how much upkeep the nappa leather seats need - is a wipe down with a standard leather conditioner every now and then even necessary? I’m being outrageously OCD about keeping this car nice.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Yeah, i knew when i bought white before pollen season in florida i'd have to live with some dirt, but i figured i'd be able to get to the wash spot every two weeks.

Maybe I'll do it by hand, beats sitting indoors.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

rally posted:

On this note, I’ve washed my brand new s4 in a touch less car wash four times since I got it ( I’m one of the assholes on the road right now but I can’t help it) and I think I’m already seeing some paint swirls. I’m Thinking since I have nothing but time I might buy a detailing kit and and get it looking nice then do a spray ceramic coating. Has anyone here dealt with the at home spray coating kits and have an opinion on whether it’s worth it? I’m also wondering how much upkeep the nappa leather seats need - is a wipe down with a standard leather conditioner every now and then even necessary? I’m being outrageously OCD about keeping this car nice.

A touchless wash shouldn't be leaving any swirl marks.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Sold my GTI and joined the Audi club.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Murgos posted:

Sold my GTI and joined the Audi club.

Nice. One thing that has stopped me from ever considering the used luxury vehicles (BMW, Audi, Mercedes) market was the impression that maintenance would be very expensive on them. Since my "mechanic" skills are non-existent I'd have to pay for one and for parts, so that was always a show-stopper.
I could be wrong though, as with anything car-related.

But they're nice, very nice. I test-drove a Mercedes once and weee ... the engine is powerful. On the highway, when I stepped a bit on the acceleration it just flew. Unlike my old mazda, that just thinks for a few seconds before actually revving and moving faster.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Volguus posted:

Unlike my old mazda, that just thinks for a few seconds before actually revving and moving faster.

This is why I was so happy to get the Golf R after my Mazda 3.

Vroom vroom vs putt putt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Volguus posted:

Nice. One thing that has stopped me from ever considering the used luxury vehicles (BMW, Audi, Mercedes) market was the impression that maintenance would be very expensive on them. Since my "mechanic" skills are non-existent I'd have to pay for one and for parts, so that was always a show-stopper.
I could be wrong though, as with anything car-related.

JD Power Dependability lumps S4 and A4 in the same bucket: https://www.jdpower.com/Cars/Ratings/Dependability/2019/Compact-Premium-Car

They are largely the same car. And really the A4 and A5 are largely the same so the fact that the A5 is 89 for dependability and the A4 is 85 is mostly just noise.

What compact cars are lower than an 85? Hyundai Elantra is an 84, Mazda 3 is 79. Even the vaunted Corolla is only 91...

This is for the last three years of ownership for the 2016 model year.

30 years ago, German luxury cars earned their garage queen reputation but over the last 10 years they have moved up into the top tier in reliability.