Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Krieger
Apr 9, 2010

I. M. Gei posted:

I am getting ready to make pastrami for the first time.

When it’s done, it will be used to make pastrami reubens, along with smoked cheese and homemade:
- Sauerkraut
- Thousand Island dressing
- Rye bread

Oh hey this was also my stuck at home weekend plan but I hadn't considered smoking cheese as well. Where you planning on meat then cheese or vice versa?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dr. Krieger posted:

Oh hey this was also my stuck at home weekend plan but I hadn't considered smoking cheese as well. Where you planning on meat then cheese or vice versa?

I need to smoke the cheese about a week ahead of time so it can mellow in the fridge for a bit.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I. M. Gei posted:

I need to smoke the cheese about a week ahead of time so it can mellow in the fridge for a bit.

Sounds like drug talk to me.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

I'm assuming you've got a vacuum sealer for the cheese. My cheese needed at least 4 weeks to properly distribute the flavours, but this may have been because I went a little long on the smoking time.

I've read that 2-4 weeks is about the standard amount of resting time.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I just joined the smoker club with a second hand $250 GMG Daniel Boone pellet smoker.
Next time I head out to the wasteland, I'm going to pick up a pork shoulder or butt and get crackin'

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

canyoneer posted:

I just joined the smoker club with a second hand $250 GMG Daniel Boone pellet smoker.
Next time I head out to the wasteland, I'm going to pick up a pork shoulder or butt and get crackin'

Smoke ‘em if you got ‘em

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Fall Dog posted:

I'm assuming you've got a vacuum sealer for the cheese. My cheese needed at least 4 weeks to properly distribute the flavours, but this may have been because I went a little long on the smoking time.

I've read that 2-4 weeks is about the standard amount of resting time.

I’m thinking I might up it to at least 2 weeks. I’ve never had any issues mellowing it for one week, but the first time I did it all of the cheese-smoking instructions I found on google conflicted on how long to do that part for. Some places said 2 to 4 weeks, some said 2 or 3 days.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Started a 24 cure on my salmon filet, using the Alton Brown ratio of 1 part white sugar, 1 part brown sugar and 1 part salt. Will give it a thorough bath tomorrow morning, let it dry, then throw on the smoker @180 until it hits 150.

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

About a year ago, I backed the Spider-22 pellet grill insert on Kickstarter. It turns your Weber kettle into a pellet grill. I got it back in December but was only able to use it for the first time yesterday. To see if it was any good I smoked a pork butt.
[img]https://i.imgur.com/7vg3kCL.jpg[/url][/img]

I threw it on at about 7 AM. Unfortunately, I melted my iGrill on my last cook and haven’t replaced it yet so I couldn’t monitor temps, but I did check it once an hour and it seemed to hold temps pretty well. I started temping at about 2 and when I saw it got the stall, I wrapped it in butcher paper.

It only got up to about 190 by 6 PM, but the probe met no resistance so I pulled it.

It turned out pretty good. Not as much smoke flavor as I like though, I’ll have to figure that out. Maybe throw a foil packet of chips in or try a different pellet blend.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That looks delicious.

On another note, Traeger updated the firmware on my Pro 575 and I can now get it up to 500’, sweet! Previous max was 450. It’s funny because I threw a pineapple on at 500 and the auger was basically running non-stop to get temperature, haha.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I ended up with some really thick sliced pork belly, can you do burnt ends with that?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Like how thick?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
This has been posted before, but do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL82hlORY-k
(you should probably like halve the amount of butter he puts in)

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

McSpankWich posted:

(you should probably like halve the amount of butter he puts in)

this is terrible advice

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Canuckistan posted:

Like how thick?

Looks like a belly that was then sliced across at like 3 inch intervals.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
A local high-end restaurant supply company is opening their doors to the public in order to try and keep product moving. I picked up some Kurobuta/Berkshire "short" ribs, rubbed them down with Meat Church hot honey hog, and smoked them with pecan and apple:

The leftovers, I mixed in with some easy homemade mac and cheese from Serious Eats the next day for lunch. loving killed!

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
At the encouragement of this thread, I bought a smoker and did a brisket and it actually turned out pretty well. Definitely some room for improvement but it tasted great.

Any advice for cleaning this thing? I have drippings and stuff all over the place inside it. The racks are dishwasher safe but the rest of the unit is a mess inside.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

At the encouragement of this thread, I bought a smoker and did a brisket and it actually turned out pretty well. Definitely some room for improvement but it tasted great.

Any advice for cleaning this thing? I have drippings and stuff all over the place inside it. The racks are dishwasher safe but the rest of the unit is a mess inside.

Electric? Don't worry about cleaning the pieces you can't remove. If there really is chunks all over, then feel free to try to wipe it down a bit, but I've had a MES for about 2 years and I've never cleaned the inside. Food's not touching it, it's fine. They made anything you needed to clean removable.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Thinking about purchasing a Traeger. What do you guys think/recommend?

I love my kamado but it's my lake grill and it's not something I want to transport back and forth every spring/fall.

From what I understand smoking works great on a Traeger as well as normal grilling, is that correct? I'm just not sure I want to go back to a propane grill because the kamado makes such drat good food. I guess I could just buy another one but at home I don't generally have as much time to grill so having something that's ready in a few minutes seems like a nice option. I'm open to suggestions from you gurus.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Best news all week.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Nothing says Easter like pulled pork

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I was more looking at the smoked baby

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I live alone and still got a turkey breast to smoke since they were on sale. Gonna have a ton of leftovers :getin:

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Grease can be wiped out with paper towels. (And should be, no need to provide additional growth media for mold and poo poo, plus it’ll go rancid over time.)

For soot and baked on poo poo, get a good grill brush, brush it when it’s still warm. Outside of the racks don’t worry too much about it though.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

wandler20 posted:

I love my kamado but it's my lake grill and it's not something I want to transport back and forth every spring/fall.

From what I understand smoking works great on a Traeger as well as normal grilling, is that correct? I'm just not sure I want to go back to a propane grill because the kamado makes such drat good food. I guess I could just buy another one but at home I don't generally have as much time to grill so having something that's ready in a few minutes seems like a nice option. I'm open to suggestions from you gurus.

A Traeger won't reach the same temperatures as the kamado, and aren't suited to grilling.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

wandler20 posted:

Define “normal grilling”. Pellet grills simply do not get hot enough, imho.
Lump charcoal superiority.

e:f,b

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
poo poo, guess I'll just buy another Kamado Joe.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Maybe if you buy that new Weber thing linked earlier, supposedly that can be used for normal grilling.

Edit: it's the smokefire
https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/wood-pellet-grills/smokefire-series/

Edit2: it's also $1,200

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 9, 2020

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

McSpankWich posted:

Maybe if you buy that new Weber thing linked earlier, supposedly that can be used for normal grilling.

Don’t Louisiana brand pellet grills get to the same temperatures as these? They might be cheaper too.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I’m skeptical that any pellet grill will “grill” well. I love my Traeger for smoking.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

McSpankWich posted:

That’s a funny way to spell Weber Summit Charcoal.

The smoke fire isn’t ready for prime time yet.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

McSpankWich posted:

Nothing says Easter like pulled pork

That is actually what I was going to make. But with a 77 year old mom and another 90 yo relative (who is quite fit for her age) decided to cancel. Sad.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do
Restaurant Depot is allowing non-members to shop in their stores. If you have one near you it is a great spot to get really affordable meat and other bulk supplies a restaurant would use.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That kicks rear end. I do, in fact, live 2 miles away from one

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

BraveUlysses posted:

hooo boy next time i see a pork shoulder at the store for a the right price this is what i'm trying, pork shoulder burnt ends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5oj5-k3IRg

I made this today, babby's first thing on the smoker. It was excellent and turned out really tender and nice.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Anyone have experience with Amazing Ribs' double smoked ham recipe? I am planning to give it a shot for Easter and it seems simple enough. I havent had time to give it a test run prior to serving it to family though so Im curious if this is something I will regret.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What are y’all making for Easter dinner? I need ideas.

Pulled pork is already on my list, although I’m wondering if a ham is something I can smoke with only a day’s notice.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 11, 2020

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Smoked chuck for us.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Harrington’s Ham.

It is smoked, even though I didn’t smoke it. Best ham on earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

ada shatan posted:

Restaurant Depot is allowing non-members to shop in their stores. If you have one near you it is a great spot to get really affordable meat and other bulk supplies a restaurant would use.

Can you share any prices or especially good products? Sounds interesting but I’m not sure how much freezer space I’d need to make the trip worthwhile, especially now.