Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TraderStav posted:

Interesting, realistically speaking, if I could get Tetris Effect to work, I'd be happy as hell. MAYBE it won't look like absolute poo poo. Will look forward to trying this out in a week or so.

The 1050 should do Tetris Effect no sweat, hell the 760 could maayyyybe do it too, especially if you turn down some particle effects and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The 1050 should do Tetris Effect no sweat, hell the 760 could maayyyybe do it too, especially if you turn down some particle effects and whatnot.

I think any bottle neck would be from the external GPU communicating with the host PC, it'll be interesting to see

https://egpu.io/forums/mac-setup/pcie-slot-dgpu-vs-thunderbolt-3-egpu-internal-display-test/

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

my 960 did most oculus titles just fine. It really only struggled with steamVR and even then it ran everything alright. If the game had graphic settings to turn down. it typically could run it. If not. ehhhhhhhh

CV1 the min requirement was a 960.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Dirt 2 is fun as hell and you can get it for a decent price when it goes on sale. I usually play with a gamepad when I don't wanna dig out my wheel and fool with it. It's butt clenching excitement. It runs decently on any rig too if you can deal with sub par graphics. I like it a lot better than project cars 2...now if only Forza had VR support.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

i must compose posted:

Dirt 2 is fun as hell and you can get it for a decent price when it goes on sale. I usually play with a gamepad when I don't wanna dig out my wheel and fool with it. It's butt clenching excitement. It runs decently on any rig too if you can deal with sub par graphics. I like it a lot better than project cars 2...now if only Forza had VR support.

I'm guessing you mean Dirt Rally 2, right?

I keep thinking about buying it when it's on sale, I really enjoyed Dirt Rally but I'm worried DR2 will run like poo poo on my 980ti.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I'm guessing nothing came of Sony and Oculus discussing swapping exclusives, which sucks because Wipeout Omega Collection is rad and I want it on PCVR.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

chaosapiant posted:

What’s a good racing sim in VR? Is Project Cars worth trying?

Project Cars 2 is ok and gets a lot of unwarranted hate, Dirt Rally 2.0 is amazing though. Automobilista2 just came out using same engine as PC2 but physics of AMS1... early access but already shaping up to be pretty kickass and currently cheap. Assetto Corsa is cool and good though VR menus suck rear end since vr was haphazardly bolted on but there's tons of free car/track/location mods and the game itself is really good especially considering the price.

Tip posted:

I'm guessing you mean Dirt Rally 2, right?

I keep thinking about buying it when it's on sale, I really enjoyed Dirt Rally but I'm worried DR2 will run like poo poo on my 980ti.

980ti might be a bit rough but you can always return it if you don't spend too long figuring it out. There are guides for gfx tweaks to make it run better and still be able to look good

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Thoatse posted:

Project Cars 2 is ok and gets a lot of unwarranted hate, Dirt Rally 2.0 is amazing though. Automobilista2 just came out using same engine as PC2 but physics of AMS1... early access but already shaping up to be pretty kickass and currently cheap. Assetto Corsa is cool and good though VR menus suck rear end since vr was haphazardly bolted on but there's tons of free car/track/location mods and the game itself is really good especially considering the price.

980ti might be a bit rough but you can always return it if you don't spend too long figuring it out. There are guides for gfx tweaks to make it run better and still be able to look good

Dude what? 980ti is fine for like heaps of content if not all of it (ok fine boneworks and poo poo prolly not great but still, come on).

Did you people all forget what hardware ran these games before? Good lord.

The 4790 non k 980 non ti rig in my living room still does just fine with 90% of the content out there.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 9, 2020

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

EbolaIvory posted:

Dude what? 980ti is fine for like heaps of content if not all of it.

The 4790 non k 980 non ti rig in my living room still does just fine with 90% of the content out there.

Was talking about DR2 in particular. A 980ti will run it but might be a bit rough, depending on your hmd I suppose. I have an Index and a 2080 and pretty much get 60 (running 120 hz) with med/high settings and some tweaks to nvidia control panel though my processor is kinda old. PC2 also takes a fair amount of horsepower to push this many pixels too for that matter. Should have included headset caveats though since most people still have Rift or Rift like loads which are like 60% of Index

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Thoatse posted:

Was talking about DR2 in particular. A 980ti will run it but might be a bit rough, depending on your hmd I suppose. I have an Index and a 2080 and pretty much get 60 (running 120 hz) with med/high settings and some tweaks to nvidia control panel though my processor is kinda old. PC2 also takes a fair amount of horsepower to push this many pixels too for that matter. Should have included headset caveats though since most people still have Rift or Rift like loads which are like 60% of Index

And you've gone into steamvr stuff, and made sure supersample/reso scale isnt on auto right?

4790/980 runs PC2 just fine. That was my "Main rig" before I upgraded 9 times and yeah PC2 worked just fine. Yes, Not on ultra, but med/low was totally playable and smooth. Sure do wish I had a full motion rig for racing games. Totally can't play em sitting motionless, I get sick no matter what. :(

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

EbolaIvory posted:

Dude what? 980ti is fine for like heaps of content if not all of it (ok fine boneworks and poo poo prolly not great but still, come on).

This seems like a weird freak out, nobody suggested that a 980 ti couldn't handle most VR content, he was responding to my post where I specifically mentioned that I wasn't sure about buying Dirt Rally 2 because I worried it might not run very well on my 980ti. And he was saying that it should be possible to get it running well/looking good. :shrug:

I've specifically seen it mentioned that Dirt Rally 2 is a bit heavy to run in VR, which shouldn't be surprising considering that it came out in 2019 and its not a VR only game.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

EbolaIvory posted:

And you've gone into steamvr stuff, and made sure supersample/reso scale isnt on auto right?

4790/980 runs PC2 just fine. That was my "Main rig" before I upgraded 9 times and yeah PC2 worked just fine. Yes, Not on ultra, but med/low was totally playable and smooth. Sure do wish I had a full motion rig for racing games. Totally can't play em sitting motionless, I get sick no matter what. :(

ss no more than 100% for these titles, but I can really crank it up on some things (running Thumper at 300% at 144hz for instance) and when I was still using Rift could even crank up ss a bit when I still used a 2060 but Index is p demanding and gives my 2080 a real workout on dr2/pc2. Definitely hear you on motion. I've just started my journey making a variant of an SFX100 :) https://opensfx.com/

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Tip posted:

This seems like a weird freak out, nobody suggested that a 980 ti couldn't handle most VR content, he was responding to my post where I specifically mentioned that I wasn't sure about buying Dirt Rally 2 because I worried it might not run very well on my 980ti. And he was saying that it should be possible to get it running well/looking good. :shrug:

I've specifically seen it mentioned that Dirt Rally 2 is a bit heavy to run in VR, which shouldn't be surprising considering that it came out in 2019 and its not a VR only game.

Here's the guide I followed to make it run as best I can while looking as good as possible. Settings are still valid though since that vid was made a patch was put out that makes you need to be in vr to adjust vr settings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhWUeiC46A4

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Finally pulled the trigger on a VR system; it's something that's fascinated me for probably five or six years now, but being stuck at home due to quarantine and the release of Half Life: Alyx made me pull the trigger.
I've been gaming on consoles for the past few years (other than the occasional WoW/Overwatch fling) so unfortunately my trusty PC (i5-3570k / GTX 760) wasn't going to be up for the task. Here's what I put together:

Ryzen 5 3600 with Noctua NH-D15 Chromamax Black cooler
Asus ROG Strix B450-F motherboard
MSI RTX 2070 Super w/8GB GDDR6
1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
16GB DDR4-3200 (got a deal on the last in-stock PNY kit, waiting for another for 32GB total)
EVGA 850 GQ PSU
NZXT H510 Case

As for the headset I decided to pick up a HTC Vive Cosmos Elite.

My feeling so far is that it's... fine. Maybe I have an unusually large head but I have a hell of a time getting the thing to sit where I can see comfortably (I don't use glasses) without blur in the Y axis. I get the feeling the FoV is pretty narrow; if I'm looking dead ahead, and if I've spent the time to get the headset lined up *just so*, it's pretty good - but if you look past almost dead center it blurs very quickly. Moreover, despite the Alyx graphics settings being at "High" I never thought the graphics were actually that impressive - which, after re-watching the trailer, leads me to believe I've not got something set correctly. Ultimately I've been enjoying Alyx despite this (and despite the occasional glitch/display whiteout/disconnection of the left controller/loving goddamned loving prick JEFF), I just wish the headset were a bit less... poo poo?

At least Beat Saber is fun as gently caress.

edit: You know what? I'll give HTC this credit-
When I read that you needed an adapter to plug in your own headphones, I rolled my eyes and prepared to order the adapter, because I like good sound and assumed the built-ins would suck rear end. But they don't! I mean, they're not as good as my Sennheiser cans but they're good enough that I'll leave them in place.

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 10, 2020

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

sarcastx posted:

My feeling so far is that it's... fine. Maybe I have an unusually large head but I have a hell of a time getting the thing to sit where I can see comfortably (I don't use glasses) without blur in the Y axis. I get the feeling the FoV is pretty narrow; if I'm looking dead ahead, and if I've spent the time to get the headset lined up *just so*, it's pretty good - but if you look past almost dead center it blurs very quickly. Moreover, despite the Alyx graphics settings being at "High" I never thought the graphics were actually that impressive - which, after re-watching the trailer, leads me to believe I've not got something set correctly. Ultimately I've been enjoying Alyx despite this (and despite the occasional glitch/display whiteout/disconnection of the left controller/loving goddamned loving prick JEFF), I just wish the headset were a bit less... poo poo?

At least Beat Saber is fun as gently caress.

If it's any consolation this is mine, and most people who I talk to's, opinion too. Headsets can be better or worse and you can do stuff to make them more comfortable but ultimately they all feel kinda like a soft compromise. Def. worth remembering that we're still in the very early days of this tech rn and honestly its kinda wild how good this stuff is for early gen models. Looking forward to what the next wave of headsets looks like, whenever that happens properly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

If it's any consolation this is mine, and most people who I talk to's, opinion too. Headsets can be better or worse and you can do stuff to make them more comfortable but ultimately they all feel kinda like a soft compromise. Def. worth remembering that we're still in the very early days of this tech rn and honestly its kinda wild how good this stuff is for early gen models. Looking forward to what the next wave of headsets looks like, whenever that happens properly.

The Cosmos is indeed unfortunately just a bit poo poo by all accounts.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Dirt rally 2 scales pretty well as you can make it look extremely realistic or almost cartoony by fooling with graphics settings. Even with crap graphics it's still very fun. I have a 2070 and an index and I can get around 90 fps with medium settings and a little upscaled resolution. What gets me fps drops is cpu heavy settings as I have an i7-7700 not over clocked.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I attempt to try out most interesting-looking new VR releases on Steam and the latest one was Ironlights.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1245950/Ironlights/

It's an arcade'y melee fighter game, seemingly focused on 1v1 multiplayer but it also has a decent singleplayer mode.
I was pretty impressed by it. It's very simple but the rules are well designed and I really enjoyed a dozen or so multiplayer matches that I've played. Definitely going to keep it.
I particularly enjoyed the feature where the game gives you a moment in between matches to taunt your opponent.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

i must compose posted:

Dirt rally 2 scales pretty well as you can make it look extremely realistic or almost cartoony by fooling with graphics settings. Even with crap graphics it's still very fun. I have a 2070 and an index and I can get around 90 fps with medium settings and a little upscaled resolution. What gets me fps drops is cpu heavy settings as I have an i7-7700 not over clocked.

And the VR aspects are all fine? Or is it hacked on? I remember reading they weren't doing VR at all for the sequel so this would be good news. I liked DR1 even just dicking around with 360 controllers.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Cosmos is indeed unfortunately just a bit poo poo by all accounts.

The build quality is quite nice! So it's nice poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

mobby_6kl posted:

And the VR aspects are all fine? Or is it hacked on? I remember reading they weren't doing VR at all for the sequel so this would be good news. I liked DR1 even just dicking around with 360 controllers.

Oculus paid them to put VR in and then they eventually did it for steamvr as well.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

sarcastx posted:

As for the headset I decided to pick up a HTC Vive Cosmos Elite.
Out of interest, why? Just other HMDs not being available or...?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

mobby_6kl posted:

It feels as good as any other racer really, nothing sticks out as bad in the menus, and in game it's really good

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

It's not wonky like the first one (first one is probably wonky cause it has to run through revive if you want it on index).

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

El Grillo posted:

Out of interest, why? Just other HMDs not being available or...?

Well; ideally I'd have gotten an Index, but they weren't available.

So that left the options as a HTC device or an Oculus device, and I'll be hosed if I give a single goddamned red cent to a Facebook entity.

edit: Just decided to google the term "red cent" and it turns out it's loving racist as poo poo. I'm not going to edit it out though because hey, maybe you didn't know that either, but now you do.

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 10, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think the racist connotation is something someone made up later. Pennies were called red cents before they were made with a native American head on them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:siren:BIG BONEWORKS UPDATE:siren:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/823500/allnews/#scrollTop=0

quote:

BONEWORKS Update 1.4 - [REDACTED]
Apr 9
Overview

Welcome to [REDACTED] life, today we've got an update straight from quarantine. For the past month we have been adjusting to work-from-home life while plugging away at Boneworks update 1.4, the [REDACTED] Update. To get started: new players will find the [redacted] level module in the museum by the reclamation bin, players who have claimed the museum sandbox already will have it already plugged in in the main menu.

Greatly Improved Hand Physics (Punching, Climbing, Swinging)
New Sandbox Environments
New Minigame - Time Trial course
New Spawnable Gachapons
New Firearm - p350 Handgun
Adjustments, Bug Fixes, Performance increases

Physics Improvements
Significant improvements have been made to the hand's physical forces solve. By more efficiently using the allocated forces for accelerating and breaking we've improved stability (good) without simply making the player stronger (cheating). Stopping distance is now solved in 2D instead of one, one parallel to gravity and the other perpendicular. Also, the systems sensors have been improved to better know if you're lifting your body weight improving climbing greatly. Attention was given to wrist torque implementing a system that simulates stabilizing muscle groups providing tighter handling of items and more satisfying punching/melee.

New Sandbox Scenes

NEW SANDBOX - [REDACTED] Chamber - Originally Test Chamber 04, this was an early experimental physics testing environment for BONEWORKS prototyping. You may be familiar with this environment from videos early on in development.

NEW SANDBOX - HandgunBox - This new environment was built to showcase the new handgun balance features. You can find a CQB time trial course hidden in the depths of this dank MythOS chemical basement.

NEW SANDBOX - Tuscany - Return to Tuscany Italy! A nostalgia trip for early VR enthusiasts, this environment pays tribute to the very first Oculus DK1 VR environment. Relax and enjoy the air, or spawn in sandbox objects and create chaos.

Handgun Time Trial
Put your tactical skills to the test with a close quarter combat time trial, hidden inside the new HandgunBox Sandbox environment. This timed course takes you through a close quarters training warehouse stocked with omnimen in every corner. Choose your handgun load out and chase your best or previous time.

REMEMBER - the clock runs in real time and slowmo will not slow down the clock.

New Handgun - p350 Handgun
We have slowly been introducing slight handgun balance changes over the past several updates. Today we are introducing a new handgun to fill in the middle ground. The edder handgun has lower damage but higher capacity mags, and the 1911 has higher damage with lower capacity mags, the p350 sits right in the middle with a balanced ammo capacity and damage output.

These changes come as an effort to begin spreading out flexibility and balance adjustments in our expanding range of firearms.

Music - Three new songs
Three all new original music tracks have been written for this update including "Little Tuscany", "Creeping", and "Tactical Trial". These tracks will be added for download to the OST on Steam soon, along with the high quality audio version of the entire soundtrack.

Patch Notes - Update 1.4
-UPDATE NOTES-
IMPROVED: Physics - Hands
IMPROVED: Physics - Climbing Physics
IMPROVED: Physics - Melee Combat / Punching

ADDED: WEAPON - p350 (Handgun)
ADDED: LEVEL - REDACTED CHAMBER
ADDED: LEVEL - TUSCANY
ADDED: LEVEL - HANDGUN RANGE
ADDED: Spawnable - Giant dice set
ADDED: Spawnable - Pallet jack
ADDED: Spawnable - Omniway
ADDED: Spawnable - Foam castle blocks
ADDED: Music - Little Tuscany
ADDED: Music - Tactical Trial
ADDED: Music - Creeping
ADDED: Machine - Jukebox for Sandbox
ADDED: Time Trial test (Handgun Range)
ADDED: Sandbox enemy spawn holograms

FIXED: Physics - Projectile influence
FIXED: Physics - Magazine angular velocity
FIXED: Encounter - Runoff zombie encounter
FIXED: Art - Nimbus art
FIXED: Art - Various minor errors
FIXED: Bug - Gachapon not staying in inventory
FIXED: Bug - Haptic bug (Oculus)
FIXED: Bug - Physics step bug (Oculus)
FIXED: Bug - Gravity plate can no longer grab the hand that's holding it

ADJUSTED: Performance - Tower Improvements
ADJUSTED: Performance - Core Player code optimized for slight boost
ADJUSTED: Physics - Full hand physics pass
ADJUSTED: Physics - Wrist (Oculus)
ADJUSTED: UX - Level Unlock system
ADJUSTED: Art - Various Level Lightbakes
ADJUSTED: Puzzles - Various Level Climb puzzles
ADJUSTED: Puzzles - Various Level Encounters
ADJUSTED: Art - [REDACTED]
ADJUSTED: Art - Various preparations for [REDACTED]

We hope you guys have fun with this update and we would love to see your coolest clips posted of the Handgun Time Trial.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Climbing over stuff feels way better in Boneworks since the last patch. I have a much easier time getting myself on top of things, I think they lowered player mass, maybe?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Talking for a moment of something that isn't a game, the Everest documental in Oculus TV was great. This one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxPGyQl0RLE

Superb vistas, correct scale and perspective, great picture quality.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Free VR puzzle game in Steam
https://store.steampowered.com/app/835950/Transpose/

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Transpose is absolutely fantastic.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Was just coming to post this... haven't played it yet but it looks like Form had babby with Sparc :v:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Turin Turambar posted:

Talking for a moment of something that isn't a game, the Everest documental in Oculus TV was great. This one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxPGyQl0RLE

Superb vistas, correct scale and perspective, great picture quality.

It sucks that they limit Oculus TV to the Quest, there is no reason for that at all besides :capitalism:

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It sucks that they limit Oculus TV to the Quest, there is no reason for that at all besides :capitalism:

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1002568761818284032?s=20

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1003436611269480451?s=20

According to Carmack it's not straightforward to port because of the way they built it, and according to them it likely wouldn't be that successful on PC anyway

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It's kind of puzzling to me, too. Would a port to Oculus pc would be so hard? They already have the 360º videos in their servers to stream, just need a frontend UI.

Speaking of Oculus and their games and apps approach, I have to say I'm kind of disappointed with their games lineup. Several years funding a pair of dozen of games, and they mostly mediocre or even kind of suck? Wilson's Heart, Defector, Asgard Wrath, Journey of the Gods, Feral Rites, Farlands, Lies Beneath...
The big exception is Lone Echo. Shadow Point was nice, too. I still have to play Stormlands.

And coming back to the PC side of things, I'm trying stuff from their store with the 'Free' tag and man, there are some poo poo in there, and that's already striking to me given that the pure quantity is still much lower than Steam. Very low efforts from people who thought with almost no competition there was no need for more. It's no strange they decided to be more exclusive for the Quest. In fact there are a few apps in there that they don't even work anymore, it seems the servers are down at this point, they should retire those.

4Coronas
Mar 23, 2020
I'm impressed with the Rift S compared to the CV1. The CV1 got soaking wet from my sweaty face. Whenever I took a break and went back into VR, it was pretty much like putting a wet washcloth on my face. Somehow, the Rift S accommodates that.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Mischievous Mink posted:

XWA VR looks like it's come a long way https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V11IIj4L6OM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY93UgHgbcU

It looks like it's had 6dof worked in, at least to some degree.

:stare:

I can't believe the XWA crew is still putting out updates. This actually makes me want to try VR.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I tried a 'serious' racing game in VR for the first time. Dirt Rally was the chosen.

It was pretty fun!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Turin Turambar posted:

I tried a 'serious' racing game in VR for the first time. Dirt Rally was the chosen.

It was pretty fun!

cockpit vr games are seriously underrated and i need more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4Coronas
Mar 23, 2020

Turin Turambar posted:

It was pretty fun!

Dirt Rally is the poo poo, hook it up with a steering wheel and it feels intense as gently caress