Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
Is HOI4 Kaserreich fun or a complete mess like the base game itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

yes

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
also is it like hoi2 kaserreich where the event chains break down completely a couple years into the game

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Typo posted:

also is it like hoi2 kaserreich where the event chains break down completely a couple years into the game

Art imitates life.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

nah it just gets stuck on 1936 events forever which is why america and china are still divided in 1943

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Typo posted:

Is HOI4 Kaserreich fun or a complete mess like the base game itself

It's actually had effort put into it's focus trees so it's as good a version as hoi4 as you can get. it's still hoi4 though so if you don't like the game's warfare mechanics that's not gonna change. they did fix diplomacy and peace treaties by essentially railroading the ai into predefined choices (so you won't have France annexing east prussia for no loving reason)

The events last about 4 years, so essentially until ww2 starts.

in a case of serendipity the latest major update was china focused, and the region is probably the best developed in the mod

uphold wang jingwei thought mfer

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Haha Hell yeah 420 dude blaze a bowl every day :350:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
are you very cool dudes doing that thing where you talk about video games seriously, like it’s real life?

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/07/opinion/coronavirus-united-states-leadership.html

I don't think Samantha Power is this stupid but BOY does she think you are.

quote:

First, the United States leads no matter what it does.

Uh, ok.

quote:

There is no question that by the time this crisis is over, China will end up the largest international donor of precious medical provisions, which will hopefully help save countless lives. But sending supplies is not the same as leading the world.

I guess...

quote:

Also, Chinese diplomats will not urge, for example, Bangladesh to turn on the internet in its refugee camps to allow public education, or Egypt to stop suppressing information.

I can't loving believe that she would pick these two examples! HOW IS THE FIRST THING THAT COMES TO MIND ABOUT REFUGEE CAMPS IN BANGLADESH INTERNET ACESS? Malnutrition perhaps? Some might suggest that health care would be pretty important these days. Perhaps Samantha Power might ask Madeleine Albright to tell the prime minister of Bangladesh, Sheikh Hasina, to turn on the internet? They're both on the Council of Women World Leaders after all (girl power!).

And how can chinese diplomats accept the way Egypt is suppressing information? We better send some american diplomats there to make sure that no information is suppressed.

quote:

With the United States taking a lead role supporting Liberians, the British government stepped up to play point in Sierra Leone, while France significantly increased its role in French-speaking Guinea.

This part is about the Ebola outbreak. I wonder why these western bastions of liberty picked those countries. I guess we'll never know! Still, how fortunate that they alread spoke french in Guinea!

This is how stupid these people think you are.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hedenius posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/07/opinion/coronavirus-united-states-leadership.html

I don't think Samantha Power is this stupid but BOY does she think you are.

Uh, ok.

I guess...

I can't loving believe that she would pick these two examples! HOW IS THE FIRST THING THAT COMES TO MIND ABOUT REFUGEE CAMPS IN BANGLADESH INTERNET ACESS? Malnutrition perhaps? Some might suggest that health care would be pretty important these days. Perhaps Samantha Power might ask Madeleine Albright to tell the prime minister of Bangladesh, Sheikh Hasina, to turn on the internet? They're both on the Council of Women World Leaders after all (girl power!).

And how can chinese diplomats accept the way Egypt is suppressing information? We better send some american diplomats there to make sure that no information is suppressed.

This part is about the Ebola outbreak. I wonder why these western bastions of liberty picked those countries. I guess we'll never know! Still, how fortunate that they alread spoke french in Guinea!

This is how stupid these people think you are.

Lucky for them so many people are that stupid

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Reminder that samantha powers motorcade ran over and killed a child

THS
Sep 15, 2017

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Haha Hell yeah 420 dude blaze a bowl every day :350:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Bangladesh is a fully functioning parliamentary democracy with free and fair elections. Maybe China should be learning from them hmm?

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Lucky for them so many people are that stupid

Yeah but I still can't really get over her choice of Egypt! A US citizen died in an Egyptian jail in January (his name was Mustafa Kassem if you're wondering why you never heard of his death). In response to this the State Department "raised the idea" of slashing "up to $300 million" of the $1.3 billion in annual (about the same since amount every year since 1987) military aid Egypt recieves from the US.

Her argument literally requires you to know nothing about Egypt.

Oh, and I found this amazing bit on her wiki page:

quote:

Chemi Shalev wrote that individuals have described Power as being pro-Palestinian and anti-Israeli, on the basis of statements which she made in a 2002 interview with Harry Kreisler.[58] When asked what advice she would give to the president <b> if either the Israelis or the Palestinians looked "like they might be moving towards genocide,"</b> Power said that the United States might consider the deployment of a "mammoth protection force" to monitor developments between the Israelis and Palestinians, characterizing it as a regrettable but necessary "imposition of a solution on unwilling parties," and "the lesser of evils."

Liberalism distilled to it's essence: in case of a genocide we'll be there to "monitor developments". And you need keep both sides in check! Transport Samantha Power back to 1939 and she'll make sure to keep an eye on both nazi germany and the jewish ghettos. No matter which group might be "moving towards genocide" she'll make sure developments are monitored.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/albertemartinez/status/1247862339426308096

lol we're gonna die

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Love how it feels like in general these days if both Dems and GOP agree on something it's probably a bad thing.

Reparations is incredibly dumb and I would not at all be surprised if we see at least a proxy war from this poo poo.

Living in Taiwan this is problematic for me as it's liable to kill my family.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
none of the blinkered american morons will remember how or why a pandemic happened 3 months from now

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018

Top City Homo posted:

none of the blinkered american morons will remember how or why a pandemic happened 3 months from now

Right, because they'll all be dead.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Somebody has issued a correction as of 07:12 on Apr 9, 2020

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

LimburgLimbo posted:

Love how it feels like in general these days if both Dems and GOP agree on something it's probably a bad thing.

Reparations is incredibly dumb and I would not at all be surprised if we see at least a proxy war from this poo poo.

Living in Taiwan this is problematic for me as it's liable to kill my family.

the neocons were always looking for some kind of in to start poo poo with China - coronavirus just ended up being a much more powerful argument than Hong Kong

if it's any consolation I'm also in southeast asia so RIP when this escalates into a shooting war

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
presient trunmp please open the economy for easter and liberate hong kong

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Well, poo poo.
Now after a couple of months of stockpiled supplies and worrying, time for another few months of stockpiled supplies and worrying.

Hopefully I don't get caught up in the recent anti-foreigner surge.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
take care of urself, atopian

have heard lovely stories from more than a handful of foreigners in china since the turn of the New Year.

while I do miss living in china, I am not disappointed that I am not there right now

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
US coronavirus infection weren't even from China, they were from Italy, Iran and lot of European countries.

And here's the corona death racial break down from New York City, with 63% reporting:

Hispanic – 34% (29% of the

Black – 28% (22% of the population)

White – 27% (32% of the population)

Asian – 7% (14% of the population) 

----

And the NY Asian population was least affected by Trump's dumb tweets, they covered the gently caress up ASAP.

When your own country has 100x more death than the country that the outbrrak started, maybe sit down and loving reconsider you were not doing a good job?

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 10:27 on Apr 9, 2020

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

The Great Autismo! posted:

take care of urself, atopian

have heard lovely stories from more than a handful of foreigners in china since the turn of the New Year.

while I do miss living in china, I am not disappointed that I am not there right now

What kind of stories?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Make Othering Great Again!

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Prince Myshkin posted:

Right, because they'll all be dead.

inshallah

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

It’s funny that the propagandists aren’t even smart enough to not call it “reparations”. Pretty sure the Anglo sphere wouldn’t be too happy to open up that particular Pandora’s box.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

americans are heavily indoctrinated from birth in the cultural nationalistic supremacy of american exceptionalism so they are unable to see the extreme double standards and hypocrisy of american foreign policy

not really a big deal

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

comedyblissoption posted:

americans are heavily indoctrinated from birth in the cultural nationalistic supremacy of american exceptionalism so they are unable to see the extreme double standards and hypocrisy of american foreign policy

not really a big deal

The Coronavirus crisis is basically a galaxy brain event for Americans like how in hospitals they are having to wear Da Mets ponchos for PPE while China by contrast got the pandemic under control in 2 months and have been actively providing help to other countries like the recent shipment to NYC.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

etalian posted:

The Coronavirus crisis is basically a galaxy brain event for Americans like how in hospitals they are having to wear Da Mets ponchos for PPE while China by contrast got the pandemic under control in 2 months and have been actively providing help to other countries like the recent shipment to NYC.

such are the sacrifices we make for freedom

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Considering how hosed the US is currently, and how China has been building its power by helping other nations, it just feels like yelling into the wind at this point.

BrokenGameboy has issued a correction as of 20:49 on Apr 9, 2020

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I know, Prez Xi will pay the reparation to the former slave countries directly and help they build harbors and bridges and roads.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

comedyblissoption posted:

not really a big deal

I like to think the silver lining here is that the Chinese military isn’t the heartless death machine the US is, and so Chinese occupation wouldn’t be a genocidal travesty, but I suppose that depends on how reactionary local resistance is.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Centrist Committee posted:

I like to think the silver lining here is that the Chinese military isn’t the heartless death machine the US is, and so Chinese occupation wouldn’t be a genocidal travesty, but I suppose that depends on how reactionary local resistance is.
Let's not romanticize the Chinese government here. All militaries are heartless death machines. That's what they're for. But it is very funny that any time China builds a bridge somewhere in Africa the western press will describe it as horrible neo-colonialism. Like there aren't still African countries that are basically de facto european/american colonies.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Centrist Committee posted:

Correct, unlike the US military which relies on heartless automatons to fight wars brave PLA troops are taught to serve the people and win the revolutionary war over hearts and minds.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Welcome back typo, I was hoping we would get your take on the events

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
typo, have you considered writing a book

after angel opportunity, you are easily the best poster wrt China

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Hedenius posted:

Let's not romanticize the Chinese government here. All militaries are heartless death machines. That's what they're for. But it is very funny that any time China builds a bridge somewhere in Africa the western press will describe it as horrible neo-colonialism. Like there aren't still African countries that are basically de facto european/american colonies.

If you don't respect brave PLA troops who fought and died for worker's right to own means of production then I'm sorry you are just a rightist

Typo has issued a correction as of 23:34 on Apr 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Hedenius posted:

don’t tell me who to love!!!