Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

rannum posted:

How many times now has Luffy just gone "JOIN MY CREW" and we just handwave a position later. I am pretty sure, at the very least ,he had no position planned for Robin or Jinbei. The former is just uhhhhh archeologist sure whatever and the latter he declared himself the helmsman like 3 years ago

It's easier to list the ones that were after the fact, actually.

Usopp came with the boat and took a while to actually have a defined role. Robin made up her own role. Jinbei made up his. But then you have Zoro, who was always basically first mate even if it wasn't explicit. Nami was always navigator. Sanji was always cook. Chopper was always doctor. Franky was always shipwright. Brook was always musician.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Jinbei's role is being the resident straight man.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they're going to kill sanjuan wolf and take his giant fruit and vegapunk (vegapunk is there) is going to put it in mecha sunny

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

C A R R O T

Ten bucks says it'll be Law since he's basically the backup protagonist at this point.

EDIT: Not as a SH member, just for that one fight.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Parrotine posted:

Ten bucks says it'll be Law since he's basically the backup protagonist at this point.

EDIT: Not as a SH member, just for that one fight.

Oh if we're going by that metric, let's go with Sabo, because we're not done trying to get you to like Sabo.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Nah we gotta go on another rescue AceSabo arc before he gets slaughtered again.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oh, quick PSA

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1247766740018192384

We're getting Sunday's chapter as usual, then a week off before a double issue the week after.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 8, 2020

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Golden week starts at the end of this month, Oda's monthly week vacation, there might be one chapter this month?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

gently caress me, if that's true then at least the month blessed us with FFVII. :gonk:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the other day i was thinking how the time skip was like 3 months of no one piece or something but it was just one month

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

RealFoxy posted:

Golden week starts at the end of this month, Oda's monthly week vacation, there might be one chapter this month?

We already got one 4 days ago, we are getting one Sunday barring any weird delay, and we are presumably getting one the 26th unless Oda is taking the double issue off.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

would have liked to see an arc or two with just luffy and zoro before they picked up nami, tbh...

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oda needs to rest after the Jimbei summoning ritual

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

rannum posted:

How many times now has Luffy just gone "JOIN MY CREW" and we just handwave a position later. I am pretty sure, at the very least ,he had no position planned for Robin or Jinbei. The former is just uhhhhh archeologist sure whatever and the latter he declared himself the helmsman like 3 years ago

Sure, Luffy doesn't always have a plan but I'm pretty sure Oda does for the new crew members, which is why everyone has a role.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Prediction: the Rocks Pirates felt no love for one another because Xebec stole then all with Davy Back Fights.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Bleck posted:

Prediction: the Rocks Pirates felt no love for one another because Xebec stole then all with Davy Back Fights.

it would also explain how someone like whitebeard was nakama'd up with kaido

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I could see Coby fighting part of Blackbeard's crew. It mirrors Roger and Garp fighting Rock.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Jimbei joined the Straw Hats in the last ever published chapter of One Piece.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Another OP PSA, from Zoro this time https://youtu.be/yk2ak-XkwTE

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Thank you, Cardboard Cutout of Zoro.

Edit: These Coronavirus PSAs are great and all, but they still have extreme 4kids/Foxblock energy.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Green Intern posted:

Thank you, Cardboard Cutout of Zoro.

Edit: These Coronavirus PSAs are great and all, but they still have extreme 4kids/Foxblock energy.

Yeah, they definitely give me the same vibe as like a Kids WB promo where Batman is talking to the Animaniacs in front of their water tower.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
I wonder how the anime is going to handle the upcoming scene in Udon when the warden is infecting people left and right with a horrible virus, and Luffy purposefully infects himself to send a message.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

The prisoners will scream and emit steam and then Luffy won't scream and emit even more steam while everyone else reacts for 5-10 minutes.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Julias posted:

Another OP PSA, from Zoro this time https://youtu.be/yk2ak-XkwTE

Don't know why I'd listen to these PSAs from a bunch of people who have literally never been sick a day in their life. Lets hear from Nami, at least we know she's actually susceptible to bacterial infections.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Scratchman Apoo posted:

I wonder how the anime is going to handle the upcoming scene in Udon when the warden is infecting people left and right with a horrible virus, and Luffy purposefully infects himself to send a message.

Luffy will purposely stand six feet away and show everyone that nothing can stop proper precautions such as washing your hands.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Scratchman Apoo posted:

chopper will be there and cut in every few minutes to remind the audience he is certain to craft a cure and tell kids not to try this at home

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Remember when Kinemon used to actually use his devil fruit? Neither does Oda :v:

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I really appreciate Nami's armor. Might be one of my favorite outfits for her.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Chapter out!

...in french: https://scantrad.net/mangas/one-piece/977

...in korean http://love2tops.blogspot.com/2020/04/977-ok.html?m=1

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 10, 2020

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

There it is, goons. The map for the final battle. I am ready. My mind and body are ready for this.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.
Wooooooow. Super cathartic to see the Straw Hats stomping some of the Beast Pirates fodder, very well drawn too. Anyone paying attention to Oda's art these last few chapters? It's obviously improved, more detail, more shading. Onigashima right there in the distance is ominous. :toot:

English chapter's out by the way, but the translation on the first translation is about as rough as it gets.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Demonicpoodle posted:

Wooooooow. Super cathartic to see the Straw Hats stomping some of the Beast Pirates fodder, very well drawn too. Anyone paying attention to Oda's art these last few chapters? It's obviously improved, more detail, more shading. Onigashima right there in the distance is ominous. :toot:

English chapter's out by the way, but the translation on the first translation is about as rough as it gets.

Got a link?

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Seeing that spread of the Strawhats standing over the defeated pirates was just one of the best thing's Oda has drawn in ages. Plus Franky's face when he asks if anyone wants to drink to celebrate. It is just great to have the whole crew together in one spot rolling the fodder over so casually, with everyone being shocked at them doing it. I forgot just how much I enjoy when they do that because it has been so long since they've all been in one spot at the same time.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Apr 10, 2020

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Larryb posted:

Got a link?

https://imgur.com/a/iZas8bs

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Hoo boy, this feels like Enies Lobby again, so pumped

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

ONE STEP CLOSER TO THE CREW SPREAD

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Let the punch fest begin.

Demonicpoodle
Jul 9, 2012

Something inside me calls out passionately to the landscape I saw - the end of the sea of corruption to which you led me.

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Hoo boy, this feels like Enies Lobby again, so pumped

It's gonna surpass Enies Lobby imo. Like, Enies Lobby has many immediately memorable high points of manga in general. And the thing that Wano can't beat about W7/EL is how finely crafted they are and how each chapter after the next is just consecutive punches, really tightly woven back to back moments. But I feel like the general level of quality we're gonna witness from here on is gonna be quite a few orders of magnitude higher than what we got back in EL. And if an arc like Fishman freaking Island can have standout moments, considering what Wano has to accomplish for the story, multiply that by a ton.

Enies Lobby has some of the best moments in anime/manga history, Robin's declaration and Merry's funeral being obvious. But as far as important strides for the story go, Wano's gonna absolutely slaughter it. And given that Oda has shown that he's still absolutely on his A game, I don't fear for the future of the arc at all. It took a long while to get here but we're finally back to the "back to back gut punches" style of OP. Oda was just lining things up for eons to make sure he could hit the highs he needs to hit and that they had enough weight.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Just a reminder

quote:

Spoiler Policy
Because the unofficial releases come out before the official ones, any discussion about the upcoming chapter must be spoiler tagged before the official English translation comes out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

do we get a chapter this week?