Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Zombie Chow posted:

Was there a study that said that Covid was changing behavior of people and making them social? I find that very scary.

I asked about this the other day but people couldn't remember the link to it. I think it came out back when that rich girl in Thailand got busted for going to nightclubs and spreading corona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

SKULL.GIF posted:

it's also making sure that "other countries" look "almost as bad" as America, instead of showing that America is like sky loving high and everywhere else has it somewhat-to-mostly contained (or isn't detecting cases, but whatever)

propaganda straight out of FT

not really. america has a much larger population than the european countries, so if anything that chart is not fair to the US in that a much smaller % of our population has been infected and died than italy or spain. and having a log graph curve clearly shows that the exponential reproduction rate is slowing.

ft is good.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Judakel posted:

I heard BCG kills.

where did you hear that? the 1930's?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Here I added a line at 100k, which is the maximum number of new cases we could even theoretically get if 100% of people tested were positive. It is very close to where we are on that graph.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

twoday posted:

in the book already

So good

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

twoday posted:

where did you hear that? the 1930's?

People are saying. Makes me wonder if it won't make things worse.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Bilirubin posted:

Welp

Lost an old friend and mentor to this poo poo yesterday.

Take care of yourselves everyone and stay safe.

gently caress, condolences

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I asked about this the other day but people couldn't remember the link to it. I think it came out back when that rich girl in Thailand got busted for going to nightclubs and spreading corona.

0% doubt there are bughunters and bugspreaders for Corona

people who can’t live with the anxiety of not knowing if they have it

people who want to spread it far and wide and destroy capitalism/immigrants/new world order/etc

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

not really. america has a much larger population than the european countries, so if anything that chart is not fair to the US in that a much smaller % of our population has been infected and died than italy or spain. and having a log graph curve clearly shows that the exponential reproduction rate is slowing.

ft is good.

that chart would look very different if it was actually a logarithmic scale

never mind, I took another look at it. don't post while laying on your side

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

poz my neg nose

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Agrajag posted:

college cops can issue arreest warrants? wtf?

A lot of college police departments are fully sworn, however, I don't see them listed on Virginia's list of accredited law enforcement agencies:

https://www.dcjs.virginia.gov/law-enforcement/programs/vlepsc/accredited-agencies?page=9

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

yes, covid is making people unable to sleep. yes, covid is making people irrationally crave the taste of raw human flesh. yes, covid is rotting the speech center of the brain. no, that does NOT mean it's a zombie plague. it's just the flu, man. my wife has it, and she's fine. never better. thinking about undoing the chains the PD placed her in and letting her back inside the house. god will prevail!

twoday
May 4, 2005

The reason trump is pushing medication more than vaccines is because deep in heart he still believes that vaccines cause autism

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

neg nose tryna get a lung beezy

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
BBC sports commentator stuck at home with his dogs

https://www.facebook.com/212311/posts/10105337230464163/?d=n

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 00:03 on Apr 10, 2020

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

ft is good.

our exponential testing rate is slowing but interpret that chart in whatever manner makes you feel better

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

its clear that social distancing and shutdowns, even in the US, is working to slow the spread and the current wave will likely kill less than 100k in the US. the problem is that we essentially need to maintain it in some form until a vaccine is widely available, which wont be for a year at least. so that is what the political conflict is going to be, and Capital will force us to reopen the economy and reignite a new wave of the disease, if not during the summer than in the fall.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I know we're all feeling helpless right now, but that just means you need to look for opportunities to make a positive difference and seize them when they come along. This is it. Guys, this is our chance to help, to really make a difference. This is a problem we can fix.

https://twitter.com/TheRoot/status/1248333234485821440?s=20

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Gripweed posted:

I know we're all feeling helpless right now, but that just means you need to look for opportunities to make a positive difference and seize them when they come along. This is it. Guys, this is our chance to help, to really make a difference. This is a problem we can fix.

The store i work in, and others in the area, were direct shipped pallets of restaurant grade bacon to sell at insanely low prices.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

get me to the pentagon I know how to fix this

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

is a vaccine even possible? isn’t it like trying to find a vaccine for the common cold? what if the thing mutates or something?

doesn’t seem so crazy to focus on medication, but also very capitalist because you’d need everyone to buy in

twoday
May 4, 2005

Gripweed posted:

the global chicken wing trade is totally hosed up because of american sports, many countries export them to america where they are stored in vast quantities waiting around for the superbowl, when they are all consumed in one day

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

get me to the pentagon I know how to fix this

send it to poor people? perhaps even other starving countries, once everyone in America is well fed ?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

is a vaccine even possible? isn’t it like trying to find a vaccine for the common cold? what if the thing mutates or something?

doesn’t seem so crazy to focus on medication, but also very capitalist because you’d need everyone to buy in

The coronavirus mutates slower than the common flu, so one advantage is the same vaccine recipes would last much longer.

By comparison the yearly Flu shot sometimes ends up being less effective because the models didn't predict the most common strains.

twoday
May 4, 2005

yes it's possible because vaccines can have a general effect on the immune system which offers protection against numerous pathogens

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-specific_effect_of_vaccines

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

:stoked:

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

send it to poor people? perhaps even other starving countries, once everyone in America is well fed ?

And addicted to delicious American chicken wings!

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

the common cold isn't one disease, it's a suite of symptoms caused by a number of different viruses

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Virtual Russian posted:

The store i work in, and others in the area, were direct shipped pallets of restaurant grade bacon to sell at insanely low prices.

I have a surplus of bacon in my refrigerator because I've been buying it for $1.49/lb.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/balleralert/status/1246167275696160769?s=21

Everyone’s getting drunk

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I've eaten chicken wings for like 3 of my last 4 meals bc they're trivial to get ahold of

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Virtual Russian posted:

what makes bacon restaurant grade

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
drop it on the floor and put it back on the stove. there, now it’s restaurant grade

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
i assume large volume of consistent high quality product

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
listen a rasher or two of good poo poo fine, but if you're a breakfast joint you're going to be pushing some pig, where the gently caress are you gonna find that kind of product

think about it ffs

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

my country, America, yearns for freedom.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

its clear that social distancing and shutdowns, even in the US, is working to slow the spread and the current wave will likely kill less than 100k in the US. the problem is that we essentially need to maintain it in some form until a vaccine is widely available, which wont be for a year at least. so that is what the political conflict is going to be, and Capital will force us to reopen the economy and reignite a new wave of the disease, if not during the summer than in the fall.

capital will stay safe in their secluded islands/enclaves, and super yachts while the rest of us are sacrificed for number

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

It mutates extremely slowly. It’s had something like a whopping 15 base pair changes across all indexed strains so far, said the dudes on this week in virology

vaccines are basically on a certainty, but that doesn’t mean it will never mutate around them

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators
Definitely feels like a fresh wave of denial has swept the US this week. A lot of misplaced optimism that we're actually suppressing cases rather than just slowing growth.

Not much discussion of our test capacity plateauing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

ijyt posted:

This seems pretty quick right?

no because this is daily cases. So if that plateaus at 50k then that means we're going to get 50k new cases every day, and then still pretty close to 50k every day for a while as it declines.

This is what tons and tons of people seem to be missing and what the media is doing a really abysmal job of explaining. The peak isn't even really the beginning of the end so much as the end of the beginning. If we didn't peak relatively quickly after locking down then our lockdowns really would be pointless.

the us is also a really unique cause because our response has been so scattered and lovely, so we may plateau and then start rocketing back up