Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

D1E posted:

Good point.

Goons please help me with recommendations to live homelessly in the era of COVID-19. I need:

- A cart/wagon to hold all my worldly possessions
- A pop-up tent
- An air mattress/foldable cot/pad (something to make it more comfortable to sleep on the ground)

I figure I can fit a couple big plastic Sterilite boxes in the cart to store my clothes and toiletries, and a sturdy tarp should be able to cover everything in the cart.

Can I sleep in public parks or will the police murder me?

Go to one of the cities where all the barriers to ending homelessness suddenly evaporated and they just put all the homeless in hotels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

twoday posted:

sweet, thanks

The thing you saw is probably just adapted from a D3.js code template called "bar chart race" on there, one of the first examples

https://observablehq.com/@d3/bar-chart-race

seattle plague rat
Apr 6, 2020

Haze Thank Liberty posted:

Thank you. I hope you feel better.

that's nice of you to say. i did telehealth and there's no concern about my symptoms so im sure i will. wonder about that nerve dmg tho

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

several dog shelters around the country are empty all of a sudden

Do I have to soak dog overnight or can I throw it right in the pot with a few bay leaves?

mystes
May 31, 2006

twoday posted:

that's a bit of a crack but I don't hear the ping
A stray, uncracked kernel in the brain popcorn of CSPAM.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Don't use the kind of cart that the walking through the desert goon used

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

D1E posted:

Good point.

Goons please help me with recommendations to live homelessly in the era of COVID-19. I need:

- A cart/wagon to hold all my worldly possessions
- A pop-up tent
- An air mattress/foldable cot/pad (something to make it more comfortable to sleep on the ground)

I figure I can fit a couple big plastic Sterilite boxes in the cart to store my clothes and toiletries, and a sturdy tarp should be able to cover everything in the cart.

Can I sleep in public parks or will the police murder me?

Looks good on supplies. Parks are bad because the cops have the authority to make you leave.

You have to find an abandoned storefront, of which I'm sure there are plenty right now, and camp in front of that. Only a property owner or manager can get you to leave and for some places it is unlikely the landowner will notice and call the cops, and just as unlikely the cops will care enough to find out who the landowner is if they notice you but you aren't making problems, so you can probably stay there for awhile. There are some spots in urban Honolulu where people can live for months and months in front of some vacant lot with an unreachable owner in some other country.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Dog shelter in place

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000

LegionAreI posted:

Are ... are people actually latching on to "THE PROJECTIONS WERE WRONG, WE SHUT DOWN FOR NOTHING" instead of "Look, what we are doing is changing the projections, keep it up!"

:psyduck:

Are you loving kidding me?

These protestors, although pitiful in number, illustrate a troubling realty the exists in the minds of all too many Americans.

The "Ohio dies when Amy lies" person is quite a paradox. Wearing a mask - so there's some acknowledgement of the danger that exists all around her. Presumably she is protesting the Ohio Director of Health Amy Acton, who has been extremely proactive about everything - she was the one who claimed there could be up to 100,000 cases in the state after they had just their 2nd confirmed case via testing. Might have been an over-reaction at that time, but it lead to some drastic and it appears fairly successful early mitigation efforts.

I guess the death this protester is referring to is the death resulting from the economic impact? Who knows. Just make sure you are getting plenty of ping to go along with that crack.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

LegionAreI posted:

Are ... are people actually latching on to "THE PROJECTIONS WERE WRONG, WE SHUT DOWN FOR NOTHING" instead of "Look, what we are doing is changing the projections, keep it up!"

There was no other way this was gonna play out once we actually started taking preventative action.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bert Roberge posted:

Do I have to soak dog overnight or can I throw it right in the pot with a few bay leaves?

Depends on the type of dog.

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

LegionAreI posted:

the worst part about the virus is that we're going to be listening to these absolute loving morons spout this poo poo for the rest of our mortal lives

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

LegionAreI posted:

The best part is when you confront them on it at all, even the tiniest mention, the default response is the smug "well {x thing that causes death} has killed more people," and if you push further you get "LIBS AND FAKE NEWS JUST WANT TRUMP TO LOOK BAD." That's the underlying thing. Like if you try to explain how much worse it would be without mitigation, they just call bullshit and say there's no way a million people would die.

Can't wait for the civil war between the stay-at-homers and the no lockdown crowd.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Zyme posted:

These protestors, although pitiful in number, illustrate a troubling realty the exists in the minds of all too many Americans.

The "Ohio dies when Amy lies" person is quite a paradox. Wearing a mask - so there's some acknowledgement of the danger that exists all around her. Presumably she is protesting the Ohio Director of Health Amy Acton, who has been extremely proactive about everything - she was the one who claimed there could be up to 100,000 cases in the state after they had just their 2nd confirmed case via testing. Might have been an over-reaction at that time, but it lead to some drastic and it appears fairly successful early mitigation efforts.

I guess the death this protester is referring to is the death resulting from the economic impact? Who knows. Just make sure you are getting plenty of ping to go along with that crack.

As an Ohioan, I have DEFINITELY never been more proud of this state. DeWine has really lovely policies and I don't think I would vote for him and didn't before, but the response to this has been very good so far. We shut down right after New York and California, when we only had 350 confirmed cases.

It's no secret that this state needs as much population as it can keep, so maybe it was a raw numbers kind of thing and not a human compassion thing, but hey, I'm actually glad I live here.

The idiots protesting their lives being saved at the statehouse are gonna be shittalked by everyone they know and they're aware of that, which is why only 15 people showed up.

alaricalden
Apr 16, 2019
So in this very helpful episode of Planet Money they find out that if we stop paying rent and our landlords stop paying theirs, their mortgage holders will still pay their investors because much of the industry is actually underwritten by the federal government already. The feds will literally pay the investors directly. So,

1. It’s already a socialized system for the rich. It’s literally just making poor people homeless out of sheer human cruelty.
2. We could decare a rent holiday for X many needed months and there would already be no significant impact to the entire system. We just didn’t in 2008 because of the same human cruelty.
3. We could also easily add pro-social reforms to the system again with no real impact to the capital class.

Go forth and weaponize this information comrades.

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/08/830237502/episode-989-what-if-no-one-pays-rent

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

playing edwards 40s hands in college trained me for this day

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

alaricalden posted:

So in this very helpful episode of Planet Money they find out that if we stop paying rent and our landlords stop paying theirs, their mortgage holders will still pay their investors because much of the industry is actually underwritten by the federal government already. The feds will literally pay the investors directly. So,

1. It’s already a socialized system for the rich. It’s literally just making poor people homeless out of sheer human cruelty.
2. We could decare a rent holiday for X many needed months and there would already be no significant impact to the entire system. We just didn’t in 2008 because of the same human cruelty.
3. We could also easily add pro-social reforms to the system again with no real impact to the capital class.

Go forth and weaponize this information comrades.

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/08/830237502/episode-989-what-if-no-one-pays-rent

I love how the whole US system is based around letting the FIRE sector doing as much as grifting as possible even though the whole thing is essentially subsidized by the federal government through mortage deductions or backfilling the entire MBS market.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

BeefThief posted:

As an Ohioan, I have DEFINITELY never been more proud of this state. DeWine has really lovely policies and I don't think I would vote for him and didn't before, but the response to this has been very good so far. We shut down right after New York and California

The idiots protesting their lives being saved at the statehouse are gonna be shittalked by everyone they know and they're aware of that, which is why only 15 people showed up.

Be glad of that, I'm in California and quite happy to be but Nextdoor is full of screaming idiots "but ma economy!!!"
:rolleyes:

I'm posting at them, waiting for whatever a ban is on Nextdoor, no idea

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

D1E posted:

Starting to put together my homeless kit to buy with TrumpBux. What do you guys think of this cart?

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Carts-GOR1400-COM-Heavy-Duty-Removable/dp/B01BFC5RZE?ref_=ast_bbp_dp

For those of you who would advise me to just steal a shopping cart: that would be illegal, plus I want to have a kind of "upscale" vibe to my homeless gear.

I want to ride that bad boy down a hill calvin and hobbes style.

Ed:
Get some of that green tire "slime" so you dont really have to worry about flat tires.

Applesnots has issued a correction as of 02:43 on Apr 10, 2020

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Spinz posted:

Be glad of that, I'm in California and quite happy to be but Nextdoor is full of screaming idiots "but ma economy!!!"

Ask them to sign a DNI and waive their right to a vent just to rile em up op

JohnLovely
Aug 15, 2017

by Athanatos
Grimey Drawer
what are the rules as to non US posters itt?

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

Spinz posted:

I think one important difference between Ohio and California in this event is that a huge percentage of the people who still live in Ohio have family here that they mostly don't want to die, in CA maybe it's different and you have a lot more transplants so they don't care that some old farts bite the dust.

mystes
May 31, 2006

JohnLovely posted:

Don't rub it in too much.

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

JohnLovely posted:

Encouraged I reckon

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

JohnLovely posted:

We go to heaven, u go to hell

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
How many bodies fit in those refrigerated trailers? Like, 40? If it is 40 then New York filled up 20 refrigerated trailers full of bodies today.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

taqueso posted:

Don't use the kind of cart that the walking through the desert goon used

lol, he didn't even make it outside of the park in the city he started in

but yes I also though D1E's homeless loadout sounds a lot like that guy

robot roll call has issued a correction as of 02:52 on Apr 10, 2020

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Just found out from my boss via email that one of my coworkers is awaiting Covid test results

I am gonna get classically quarantined if they're positive

cool poo poo

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Stereotype posted:

How many bodies fit in those refrigerated trailers? Like, 40? If it is 40 then New York filled up 20 refrigerated trailers full of bodies today.

this will depend on how they are loading them, lol I’m contemplating stowage factors for bodies.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

LegionAreI posted:

lmao

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Yeah it's 40 bodies per trailer.

"[b posted:

FEMA sending 85 refrigerated trucks to New York City for COVID-19 bodies[/b]]

The city is expecting FEMA to send 85 trucks. Although their capacity was not immediately available, similar trailers already in use hold 40 bodies each. The additional FEMA trucks could double the city’s morgue capacity from 3,500 to 7,000.

I wonder if FEMA sent them more trailers, because they've had more than 7,000 deaths as of today. 20 trailers full of bodies every day and getting worse.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Stereotype posted:

this is a great time to do field research on optimal packing strategies for refrigerator truck morgues

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

Stereotype posted:

how many mass graves per mile does this baby get?

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Stereotype posted:

Why can't they stack the bodies pallet-style? I would imagine you could fit hundreds if not thousands that way.

Got to be efficient with available resources when in the midst of a cataclysmic global pandemic, you know.

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

you could get a lot more than 40 bodies into one of those if you stack them on pallets and use plastic wrap

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bar Ran Dun posted:

this will depend on how they are loading them, lol I’m contemplating stowage factors for bodies.

Will this be in a future tech company interview question?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Oh that's why the 60k projections are what the are

https://twitter.com/emzorbit/status/1248415988166451200

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

D1E posted:

Why can't they stack the bodies pallet-style? I would imagine you could fit hundreds if not thousands that way.

Got to be efficient with available resources when in the midst of a cataclysmic global pandemic, you know.

The max load in a trailer is 45,000lbs so assuming each body was 200lbs and space wasn't an issue you could fit 225 bodies max.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/Sludge/status/1248362054894878720

just lmao that truno has a buddy called joe pizza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

lotta body stacking experts itt