Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

that image is too big. you use hills because theres a speed penalty moving up hills and also because your archers can shoot over your infantry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Yeah there's one thing I really miss from Warband and that's the ability to control a companion after you go down.

I don't think that was a vanilla warband feature. I think it was added in Floris or some other mods? At least I always thought it was.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Definitely not a vanilla warband feature.

One thing I'll miss from Warband is being able to give your allies in Tournaments commands

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

Definitely not a vanilla warband feature.

One thing I'll miss from Warband is being able to give your allies in Tournaments commands

No! This works? I've been playing this game this long and never tried/discovered this?

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

wilderthanmild posted:

I don't think that was a vanilla warband feature. I think it was added in Floris or some other mods? At least I always thought it was.
Yes Floris mod, you're right.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

No! This works? I've been playing this game this long and never tried/discovered this?

If you're talking about Warband, yeah you can order them around like troops! In Bannerlord you cannot, which means they will immediately run ahead and get surrounded by 4 axemen and die sintantly lmao

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

This patch broke my game :(

Anyone else just have terrible issues every other patch with a 5700xt

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

This game made me realize I need to buy a new cpu, which made me realise I need a new mobo, which made me realise I need new ram...

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
I literally built a new PC in expectation of this game.

Also, man, playing against the Khanate is really a different game than the other nations. You actually have to be smart and take a pretty active role in command. It's lead to a lot of my most fun battles in the game so far though.

I'm still debating what nation I'll try next. I was thinking one of the Empire ones, but now the Khanate seems fun. I've been doing a bit of horse archery in my latest game so it seems fun.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Imperial troop tree is sick, but idk if they actually use pavises properly or not. Just also make sure menalavion(?)s are behind your legionaries or they'll die to any archer

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

albany academy posted:

Imperial troop tree is sick, but idk if they actually use pavises properly or not. Just also make sure menalavion(?)s are behind your legionaries or they'll die to any archer

Is there a reason to use them? Legionaries have short spears

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

albany academy posted:

Yeah it seemed like a really good and balanced tree. In my most recent campaign I found myself taking on more and more imperials as their tree was super balanced and didn't seem to have any glaring weaknesses.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Is there a reason to use them? Legionaries have short spears
Aren't they the anti-cav troop?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In theory yes but if they get shot because they have no shields they can't do much against cavalry. Pikes at the moment suffer from a lack of formation as they'll just sit in the front row and get shot to death so they're not much better than just regular spears, especially as spear troops usually come with shields.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

So it seems like while you still can't become a crime lord and take over clearings/waterfronts/backstreets yourself even with criminal troops in your employ, taking them out does give you charm XP since I guess it counts as an interaction with the other notables in that city!

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker

Babe Magnet posted:

it's a drat shame that the improved enemy fight AI completely removed all player agency from the game and made melee combat an impossible slog once the glow of the first few battles wore off, am I right fellas. It sucks that every player was forced to take up Mounted Archery just to deal with the Not As Stupid NPC Duelists, oh well, here's to Mount & Blade 3

One thing I've noticed with Bannerlord compared to Warband is that models clip into each other waaaaay more than before. Like in Warband you'd be straight up bodyblocked in a cramped space, but now everyone (you included, technically) can form into a Brigand/Battanian/Vlandia/etc. singularity deathball of axes and spears. I think it's less that the melee AI got better and more than when one side has superior numbers they just get to swing 2-3 times for every enemy hit. It ends up looking something kinda like this.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
So now that I'm a millionaire I've started executing enemy lords, does anyone know if those will be replaced over time or if I can completely wipe out a faction's ability to raise armies this way?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

pretty sure it's the latter right now

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Jeremor posted:

So, fought my first siege of a castle as part of an army. Was pretty cool... then I realized that the AI doesn't know how to dismount a ladder when they climb to the top. They just sit on the top of the ladder, waiting to die or for anyone to get close enough to swing their sword at. The entire army was climbing single file for their turn to die, like some weird slaughterhouse.

Hopefully this was just a weird one time glitch, because I can't imagine nobody had noticed that until now.

Siege ladders are still broken on some castles for NPCs. Same with some of the towers.

Never had the issue on a town assault though.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

e: nm, misread

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

DangerDan posted:

One thing I've noticed with Bannerlord compared to Warband is that models clip into each other waaaaay more than before. Like in Warband you'd be straight up bodyblocked in a cramped space, but now everyone (you included, technically) can form into a Brigand/Battanian/Vlandia/etc. singularity deathball of axes and spears. I think it's less that the melee AI got better and more than when one side has superior numbers they just get to swing 2-3 times for every enemy hit. It ends up looking something kinda like this.

I'm just being sassy based on a goon or two a few weeks ago hailing the death of the game because they made AIs a little bit better at actual moment-to-moment combat, but you're right that deathpits are like the number one strategy for taking dudes out in melee. It's why Looters are so deadly, since they just mob up and stunlock units with their really fast (lovely, but fast) one-handed weapons.

The AI is actually better at personal combat, though. Special named Tournament Champions are an obvious example, they'll feint and chamber you all day.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Babe Magnet posted:

Special named Tournament Champions are an obvious example, they'll feint and chamber you all day.
TAADEEEOOSSSS :argh:

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

rt4 posted:

That's when you unlock 5g siege towers

That is actually very funny thank you. I’m just worried my game will abruptly end.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

In theory yes but if they get shot because they have no shields they can't do much against cavalry. Pikes at the moment suffer from a lack of formation as they'll just sit in the front row and get shot to death so they're not much better than just regular spears, especially as spear troops usually come with shields.

Pretty much this. Menalavions are good when they get into it with anybody, but they die to forest bandits. Legionaries are clutch for storming castles because big shields.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

IIRC vlandian Pike's/voulges last longer because theyre in heavier armor than menalavions, could be wrong but the vlandians lasted a lot longer for me.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
That one guy is really getting the most out of his shield. Reminds me of 300:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Was yesterday the first time they didn’t update the game daily?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Warbird posted:

No, they updated yesterday. 1.0.8

Speaking of updates, they also just dropped one a few minutes ago.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Gobblecoque posted:

No, they updated yesterday. 1.0.8

Speaking of updates, they also just dropped one a few minutes ago.

They are working their asses off pumping out these patches.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

They updated, but later in the day than usual.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
Finally reached 125 leadership and got the disciplinarian perk. It owns being able to upgrade looters into something useful.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I have seen only one lance for sale ever, which I bought and am using and goddamn does it do some damage. Like 300-500 damage, if you can keep it on target. Great for lord sniping soon as battle starts. I gotta try a glaive next.

I'd like to see some better gear for sale. I'm still early game and there's nothing worth purchasing anymore. Only bows are expensive. Not sure if the plan will be new equipment or just rebalancing prices.

Throwing weapons are hilarious. It's like having the gravity gun from half life and launching whaling harpoons.

Is smithing worthwhile? Seems really slow with the weird stamina mechanic, which will be the first thing I mod out.

All cav parties are still fun as hell, and if I have to seige something I figure I can just form an army and let allies worry about infantry.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Thinkin' bout playing mount and blade: warband

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Chunderbucket posted:

Thinkin' bout playing mount and blade: warband

you know, bannerlord hit all the notes so right, i was like "yeah this is warband, but just a tiny bit better!"

and then i fired up warband again and i'm like "oh. oh no" because bannerlord is actually a lot better

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Enigma posted:

I have seen only one lance for sale ever, which I bought and am using and goddamn does it do some damage. Like 300-500 damage, if you can keep it on target. Great for lord sniping soon as battle starts. I gotta try a glaive next.

Note that most polearms with a cutting attack function pretty much the same as the glaive, in case you find one of them earlier. The war razor, rhomphalia, and menavlion are the similar weapons that I'm aware of and they're all crazy op on horseback.

Chunderbucket
Aug 31, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

you know, bannerlord hit all the notes so right, i was like "yeah this is warband, but just a tiny bit better!"

and then i fired up warband again and i'm like "oh. oh no" because bannerlord is actually a lot better

Well look here mister, not all of us have fancy computers what's built after 2011

fake edit: this is a horrible game to return to sometimes, I've got two day-300ish saves to choose and no drat idea what I was doing with either.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I think there's literally already a mod team working to port Warband's era into Bannerlord so soon you'll be able to bro out with Harlaus and his butter in the newer game.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I'm just waiting on musketry.

The horrible, horrible things the much better AI will be able to do with it are so inviting.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Is... the multiplayer supposed to crash so much? Three games, and all crashed within a minute of joining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Game too good. 70 hours in. Spouse Angry.

Is anyone else having this issue where M&B high speed mounted swinging/lancing actually makes you physically flinch anticipating the hit? I swear this is the only game which makes me physically react to onscreen events.

Also getting rhompalia at early game turns you into the Reaper. That reach is AMAZING, you can ride perpendicular to enemy line and play Peasant Polo.