Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Any conversation about dietary pH is meaningless because anything you could eat capable of shifting the pH buffers regions of the human body out of wack would almost certainly kill you pretty quick. The urine pH thing is a misunderstanding people use to explain kidney stones which are more a function of concentrations of minerals then anything else.

Stomach acid is also, you know, an "acid", so all that pH 10 Magic water you drink is immediately neutralized the moment it hits the stomach and any "acidic" foods you eat would be less acidic then stomach acid or you'd get chemical burns in your mouth and throat while eating it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

OK, now explain how they come up with all these evil foods having ph 20+

Iunno I've not come across that, or had a patient ask about it.

pentyne posted:

Any conversation about dietary pH is meaningless because anything you could eat capable of shifting the pH buffers regions of the human body out of wack would almost certainly kill you pretty quick. The urine pH thing is a misunderstanding people use to explain kidney stones which are more a function of concentrations of minerals then anything else.

Stomach acid is also, you know, an "acid", so all that pH 10 Magic water you drink is immediately neutralized the moment it hits the stomach and any "acidic" foods you eat would be less acidic then stomach acid or you'd get chemical burns in your mouth and throat while eating it.

The solubility of various things that cause nephroliths (there's several, but it's mostly calcium Oxalate) is altered by urine ph, I'm not sure what you're meaning. You can definitely alter your urine pH via diet, among other things. Gout meds for instance tend to cause mild acidosis and a raised urine pH that leads to uric acid stones.

It's not the same pH even across the day.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Inceltown posted:

No but he is this guy

just my healthy six coconut a day diet

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Shame Boy posted:

I mean insurance companies having to pay out on something I'm sure they assumed would just be free money forever is cool in a way :shrug:

Makes you wonder what other wacky insurance policies are out there. Someone somewhere is assessing the cost of “alien invasion” or “planet of the apes uprising” policies

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
vegies

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
how do you activate an almond

e: okay it's apparently this incredibly stupid thing

Mechafunkzilla has issued a correction as of 16:02 on Apr 10, 2020

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

Makes you wonder what other wacky insurance policies are out there. Someone somewhere is assessing the cost of “alien invasion” or “planet of the apes uprising” policies

https://www.thebalance.com/alien-abduction-insurance-4160014

quote:

Where to Buy Alien Abduction Insurance?
UFO Abduction Insurance Company in Altamont Springs, Florida, in operation since 1987 sells a $10,000,000 policy and has actually paid claims and has sold more than 100,000 policies
Lloyds of London has sold approximately 20,000 policies, according to Sunlife UK
According to Insurance Business Mag in 2018, Budget Insurance in the UK, based in Peterborough has started promoting a new Alien Abduction Insurance policy option, and offering to add their homeowner policyholders to a waiting list for it if they are interested. This is a very interesting approach because of the fact that it is based on current discoveries by NASA rather than the fear of the past.

"UFO Abduction Insurance Company" is mostly a joke company that will sell you a policy for a one-time fee of $20, but it has technically "paid out" claims because the payout is $10,000,000 in the form of "one dollar per year". It also has a charmingly 90's website if you're into that.

Also I like that the author of this article had the same weird problem I did when googling for this, because tons of other articles quote this one "UK firm has sold 30,000 policies" fact with no sources or more information, and it turns out the real story behind it is much weirder:

quote:

For example, in researching this article I found many sources referencing the U.K. London-based firm Goodfellow Rebecca Ingram Pearson as a firm selling the insurance. Although this is not a U.S. based firm, it still gives a good example of how the information you may find online could be dated or misleading. Apparently, this firm had sold more than 30,000 policies according to Forbes in 2011, (this fact got cited multiple times in multiple places) however, a more recent article in 2014 cited that the firm had discontinued the coverage, and cited only 4,000 policies had been sold. The information was quite different, and so deeper investigation revealed more about the situation: An article in the Chicago Tribune in 1997 quoted Simon Burgess, managing director of the Goodfellow Rebecca Ingrams Pearson insurance company, explaining that due to a cult suicide, whose cult members had purchased the insurance, they were withdrawing from the alien abduction insurance business given how the insurance ended up being used in such an unfortunate unforeseen situation.

Then in 1998, the San Francisco Gate said they had resumed sales for Alien Abductions. After all this, the last piece found on this in 2016 cited the company no longer operates and suggested a history of gimmicks.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Nastier Nate posted:

it’s “just” a rider on a policy that covers any cancellation. i bet they have invasions and uprising on there too

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

https://www.thebalance.com/alien-abduction-insurance-4160014

"UFO Abduction Insurance Company" is mostly a joke company that will sell you a policy for a one-time fee of $20, but it has technically "paid out" claims because the payout is $10,000,000 in the form of "one dollar per year". It also has a charmingly 90's website if you're into that.

Also I like that the author of this article had the same weird problem I did when googling for this, because tons of other articles quote this one "UK firm has sold 30,000 policies" fact with no sources or more information, and it turns out the real story behind it is much weirder:

The juxtaposition of "insane 90s web design" and "pointless Trump/Stormy Daniels reference" is :discourse:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Getting drunk and harassing shady used car dealerships would normally be a fun afternoon but I don't think the risk is worth it right now.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I'm trying to figure out what organic means in the context of spirulina

It's loving pondscum you grow w/ a nutrient slurry

It'd be like advertising free range raccoon

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

thats it, its extra things they can put on the box

like "fat free" 100% sugar candy

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

lmao that's my country god bless its tiny lil soul

throwing away ad circulars has been v funny- clearly they were all ordered and printed and set to be sent before shelter-in-place, lots of coupons for family dine-in, buffets, etc- in a college basketball town, too, so loads of March Madness stuff hyping a void

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Peanut Butler posted:

hyping a void

capitalism.txt

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
Thought I was watching one of those parody SNL commercials when this came on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgvzUeEe9Bo

They really should have made the pawns be regular people though. Make one a teacher, one a fast food worker, one a truck driver, etc.

e: LOL

Wifi Toilet has issued a correction as of 02:53 on Apr 13, 2020

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Wifi Toilet posted:

They really should have made the pawns be regular people though. Make one a teacher, one a fast food worker, one a truck driver, etc.

3d printers are a thing. Let's do it.

Who's going to represent the bishops for both sides?

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

spacetoaster posted:

3d printers are a thing. Let's do it.

Who's going to represent the bishops for both sides?

We regret to inform you the bishop is a rapist.

It's still in pre-order phase, but I think they should just release it with the empty podiums, seems fitting somehow.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
ah I see that chess set is from 2008

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Symbolic Empty Podium has my vote. :thumbsup:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Wifi Toilet posted:

It's still in pre-order phase, but I think they should just release it with the empty podiums, seems fitting somehow.

I want all the pawns to get together, develop industry, and nuke every non-pawn piece out of existence

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I'm the elephant that reached the end of the board and turned into Vice President Pence.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Elman posted:

I'm the elephant that reached the end of the board and turned into Vice President Pence.

rags to riches, it's the fuckin American Dream

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

I'm the horse that "takes" pence.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I'm that creepy-rear end Dick Cheney rook

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1249727350234918912

Look at all this free advertisement Kanye's shoes are getting.

It's like the intro to that terrible book Jennifer Government.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bert Roberge posted:

It's like the intro to that terrible book Jennifer Government.
I wonder which ended up being more successful: the book or the game that existed only to promote the book. Because I think that game stuck around for way, way longer than you'd expect.

khazar sansculotte
May 14, 2004

Tiggum posted:

I wonder which ended up being more successful: the book or the game that existed only to promote the book. Because I think that game stuck around for way, way longer than you'd expect.

It's still around.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I don't even know how to react to that. :stare:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tiggum posted:

I don't even know how to react to that. :stare:

Literally all I know about it comes from the episode of The F-Plus about it from a few years ago, and from that ep I think the only people still on it are either roleplaying as Glorious Donald Trump America (to own the libs), a weird parody of what they think the left is like (to own the libs), or as their favorite TV show so they can pretend to be a decepticon.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Tiggum posted:

The game was way more successful than the book.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Oh so that's what buffalo wild wings are made of

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I'm not in China, but I've cancelled my prepaid plan (well, switched to the one without monthly cost) as well when the quarantine started. I'll reactivate when things are up and running again, it's just like three taps in the app.

I assume they'll quickly regain those subscribers.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

https://twitter.com/lambgoat/status/1249766356523892736

before and after

gonna go out on a limb here and say that a couple of these probably shut down in Jan-Feb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsCJU9djdIc

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Wifi Toilet posted:

Unless this is a different chess set than the one I see advertisements for, they're already shipping it with empty podiums. You'll mail in a postcard or something to get the last two pieces after the nominations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

MisterOblivious posted:

Unless this is a different chess set than the one I see advertisements for, they're already shipping it with empty podiums. You'll mail in a postcard or something to get the last two pieces after the nominations.

If you're going to play out your weird political power fantasies in the form of chess they might as well just make both Bernie and Biden figures and let you pick which one you want when you order.