Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

FAUXTON posted:

I went and visited some of those mounds near anclote river when I was a kid, pretty unforgettable because that was the first time I saw a rattlesnake and the first time I got a bee sting

iirc the mounds were described as "yeah we don't really know what was up with these but they're full of stuff that kinda seems like it was a precolumbian landfill for oyster shells and broken arrow/spear heads? Yeah don't dig here it's illegal" and that's always stuck with me because pasco county is p much where trash gets dumped

there are hundreds of them all over the peninsula and continuing up into Georgia and towards the Great Plains, though many are in poor condition. They would dump all of their shell refuse onto one pile and then coat it with a shimmering smooth surface of ground up shells, and occasionally they would have a ritual where they would burn down the building on top and then cover the entire mound with a new larger layer of shells, and build an even bigger structure on top, and so on and so on for thousands of years. These structures were sometimes arranged in elaborate patterns that pointed out astronomical alignments:

it was an amazingly efficient system because all the waste of society was used to reinforce the structures which protected them from the constant floods

and then they bulldozed a bunch of them to build golf courses and now dozens of people die whenever there is a strong storm that causes minor flooding because they have no high ground to escape to, whoopsie doodle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

I'm confused. There were 2k deaths today. People are suggesting this isn't bad news?

We had 2k deaths the last two days too.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

twoday posted:

there are hundreds of them all over the peninsula, though many are in poor condition. They would dump all of their shell refuse onto one pile and then coat it with a shimmering smooth surface of ground up shells, and occasionally they would have a ritual where they would burn down the building on top and then cover the entire mound with a new larger layer of shells, and build an even bigger structure on top, and so on and so on for thousands of years. These structures were sometimes arranged in elaborate patterns that pointed out astronomical alignments:

it was an amazingly efficient system because all the waste of society was used to reinforce the structures which protected them from the constant floods

and then they bulldozed a bunch of them to build golf courses and now dozens of people die whenever there is a strong storm that causes a minor flooding because they have no high ground to escape to, whoopsie doodle

Yeah they did this really cool (lovely) trick at anclote where they point out that a bunch of mounds in the area were partly used for burials but got dug out in modern times and the shells were used to make roadbeds

the roadbeds you'd just driven in on and the trailbeds you'd been walking on to that point

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

I'm confused. There were 2k deaths today. People are suggesting this isn't bad news?

it's really bananas, the common rhetoric on that side is "well those people died of something else, obv not coronavirus because everyone knows FEMA is paying drs 40k per patient they put on a ventilator :words:"

meanwhile, 800 people died in NYC today vs. the expected/average of 148 for this day. people in NYC are dying about 5 times more often than normal but it's really just about as bad as the flu :thunk:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Stereotype posted:

Its super funny to me that Bill Mitchell is now embracing the mantra "maybe it is better to be dead"

Is this the lesson he learned in his mom's hospice?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

twoday posted:

idk, the moundbuilding civilization seemed pretty cool

Get a load of dem tittays.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

iirc a cool thing that happened in a few places from mounds was that they served to sprout stands of hardwood that wouldn't have otherwise grown there so you've got straight up geoengineering being done on superhuman timescales as those hardwoods then anchor the mound in place and act as a natural breakwater and bulwark against erosion

but they get flattened because chuds need a water view

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

FAUXTON posted:

iirc a cool thing that happened in a few places from mounds was that they served to sprout stands of hardwood that wouldn't have otherwise grown there so you've got straight up geoengineering being done on superhuman timescales as those hardwoods then anchor the mound in place and act as a natural breakwater and bulwark against erosion

but they get flattened because chuds need a water view

that's right

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

twoday posted:

there are hundreds of them all over the peninsula and continuing up into Georgia and towards the Great Plains, though many are in poor condition. They would dump all of their shell refuse onto one pile and then coat it with a shimmering smooth surface of ground up shells, and occasionally they would have a ritual where they would burn down the building on top and then cover the entire mound with a new larger layer of shells, and build an even bigger structure on top, and so on and so on for thousands of years. These structures were sometimes arranged in elaborate patterns that pointed out astronomical alignments:

and then they bulldozed a bunch of them to build golf courses and now dozens of people die whenever there is a strong storm that causes minor flooding because they have no high ground to escape to, whoopsie doodle

cool dickbutt variants

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

congress is literally required to fund the usps

the air force not so much

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Oompa loompa doompa SARS 2
The rich can reserve a ventilator or two

Oompa loompa COVID 19
Only billionaires get ECMO machines

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Gavin Newsom is my eight cousin. So is Joanna Newsom (thus making Andy Samberg my eigth cousin-in-law.)
Why did it have to be them, while we've been unable to figure out how we're related to these guys??
https://www.newsomscountryham.com
I want that family ham (hamily) discount.
I can't even eat ham.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Joanna's music is awful but don't tell her I said that.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

so how much worse is this going to get

places are planning on opening back up next fuckin week

it doesn’t sound like anything has gotten any better, just far worse

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

RandomBlue posted:

Get a load of dem tittays.

imagine living in a society where thick rear end titties and wide as hell dicks way out in the open was frowned upon

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pollyanna posted:

the moment the slightest bit of progress is made, rich people will demand the economy re open and they will get what they want. a few weeks will go by and things will explode again but this time worse

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

lotta body stacking experts itt

it’s time for Soylent Green and we all know it

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Bip Roberts posted:

imagine living in a society where thick rear end titties and wide as hell dicks way out in the open was frowned upon

Impossible.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mod sassinator posted:

cum infections

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

it’s time for Soylent Green and we all know it

soylent green, but the reveal is that everyone is mad the technology existed but was only just now being exploited for profit

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Applesnots posted:

I want to ride that bad boy down a hill calvin and hobbes style.

Ed:
Get some of that green tire "slime" so you dont really have to worry about flat tires.

I got to Calvin and Hobbes a wagon once. Would highly recommend.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Oompa loompa doompa SARS 2
The rich can reserve a ventilator or two

Oompa loompa COVID 19
Only billionaires get ECMO machines

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Chuds are pretend everything is hunky dory and a whole bunch of corpses will get buried in fields and parks OP

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Pollyanna posted:

The shelter in place requirements are making it slow down, but it isn't clear how much it has slowed down quite yet, and little changes make a very big difference. In places like NYC, it is already so bad that you are going to have to wait a very long time before it gets to a manageable rate. In other places that locked down later, it actually seems like it is getting worse right now, but that's hopefully just a lag since everything happens like a week after you take any action.

When they tell everyone to go back to work it will seem fine for a week, at which point you have a really big problem again that will take a week to stop getting worse.

So you know, it is impossible to say and we live in a world of universal all encompassing uncertainty

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

https://twitter.com/natgeo/status/1248431774436225025?s=21

alaricalden
Apr 16, 2019
This guy runs a successful real estate business. How can you be successful and not understand the barest fundamentals of how a business makes money?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

haha christ i wonder if that lets the plates move just ever so slightly faster and build up a massive earthquake

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Aremicans just want to die lol.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

sorry, you're friend's business should have had at least 6 months of expenses saved up

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

we need to see the balance sheet for this business to see if it was spending and saving responsibly.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

wait lol if that apostrophe isn't misplaced that fucker deserves ruin

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

haha christ i wonder if that lets the plates move just ever so slightly faster and build up a massive earthquake

lol I've been wondering if global warming might cause volcanos to erupt more often. melting glaciers put less downward pressure on mountains and heat causes things to expand.

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Spergin Morlock posted:

lol I've been wondering if global warming might cause volcanos to erupt more often. melting glaciers put less downward pressure on mountains and heat causes things to expand.

lets go yellowstone caldera love da yellowstone caldera

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Raiad posted:

wait lol if that apostrophe isn't misplaced that fucker deserves ruin

it's fine if he only has one friend :)

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

American sourdough starter fans look 100% obnoxious as their Italian counterparts. It's a miracle of worldwide friendship and understanding! :pranke:

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

the gently caress is the thread title about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Son of Man posted:

BBB-399-FRT