Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Deadmeat5150 posted:

If we are lucky, we will get to see what lives in The Void.
I honestly think these species make a much better impression in their natural habitat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Kibayasu posted:

You guys are hyping up my (very) mild ocean phobia and it better not disappoint.

This is what I hoped the game would do fore before, but no, I've only realized how Not Mild my fear was.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Really the only thing that freaks me out is the *noise* Mr Screamypants makes, something about the mix of sounds they used trigger a nearly primal flight response. It's kinda wild, and way different when you actually hear it in game.

I like that the devs put a bunch of mats on the Reefbacks on purpose to make your early game not quite as painful.

Dreadwroth2 fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 8, 2020

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

Between various playthroughs, this game first *gave* me thallassophobia, then cured it. Playing Below Zero a bit hasn't seemed to bring it back, either.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The thing about phobias is that they're curable, you just need to gradually expose yourself to the trigger until you get desensitized.

Why at this rate I'll get over my fear of getting lost and very narrowly escaping Cthulhu in no time!
I swear i was nowhere near the crater wall I swear

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

anilEhilated posted:

I honestly think these species make a much better impression in their natural habitat.

Not when they swim out of the gloom at you.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Req.Martyr posted:

This is what I hoped the game would do fore before, but no, I've only realized how Not Mild my fear was.

I mostly compare it to seeing scary movies, video games haven’t ever really triggered anything. Even the actual ocean for the most part is almost entirely tempered by just seeing the ground. The only time I ever (calmly) Noped out of something involving the ocean was on a family vacation and we took a boat tour and swam near the edge of the continental shelf. Decided I just wouldn’t look in that direction any more.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
It's super early and I'm still awake so here's today's update earlier than usual!

#6 - Seamoth

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

For some reason I'm annoyed by the fact you still have stuff left in the lifepod storage despite having a base now. :v:
Also a part of me wishes it could be repurposed as the centre of the homebase, or a part of it just to make it useful in the long term.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Cooked Auto posted:

For some reason I'm annoyed by the fact you still have stuff left in the lifepod storage despite having a base now. :v:
Also a part of me wishes it could be repurposed as the centre of the homebase, or a part of it just to make it useful in the long term.

I really wish they would let you repair the other lifepods, just to have some small forward bases scattered around before you make a dedicated base over there.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

That would also be neat yes.
Even if I was more thinking relocating the starter lifepod to whereever your base is and incorporate it as the nave/control center of the base.

Chronische
Aug 7, 2012

I also wish you could strap a motor to the lifepod to move it about, or disassemble the lifepod for components to use in a real base.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Chronische posted:

I also wish you could strap a motor to the lifepod to move it about, or disassemble the lifepod for components to use in a real base.

The former would be nice, but the latter would make it possible to softlock your game, even if you would have to intentionally go out of your way to do it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I figure the reason its there is for gameplay reasons but using the thing as a permanent fixture for your base. Or just have it be an alternate surface entrance to your base. But then it'd need a second entrance to offset that.
Just something that puts some further use into it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

LIFEPODTRON, ASSEMBLIZE

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The seamoth finally made me notice the complete lack of airlocks in the game, do they explain that away with space magic tech or anything? It's not annoying at all but just opening the door and jumping into the seamoth while its sitting 100+ meters under water switched on a light bulb in my head.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You just have to shut the door real fast

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
The one thing that bugs me about the seamoth is the lack of exit animation, it makes it extremely disorienting sometimes when you pop out of one and your viewpoint just jumps.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

The seamoth finally made me notice the complete lack of airlocks in the game, do they explain that away with space magic tech or anything? It's not annoying at all but just opening the door and jumping into the seamoth while its sitting 100+ meters under water switched on a light bulb in my head.

I still get an annoyed twitch from seeing the dude just casually break the laws of physics and not flood his underwater base as he casually opens a hatch that leads undisturbed into the rest of the building. Also no it's not explained at all

Though that still outweighs actually waiting for the airlock, since it's something you'll be doing constantly, so my annoyance immediately recedes whenever I think of the gameplay implications.

mortons stork fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 9, 2020

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Given that the fabricator is basically nanotech magic anyway, they could have put in the buzz of a force field or something to handwave it away.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

These videos are getting addictive, DN. What are you doing to me?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Not going to lie, I added the game to my Steam wishlist because of the videos and then I realized I already had it on EGS because I grabbed it when it was out for free. :v:
Even if I still would've wanted it on Steam but oh well.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The water isn't water. It's H2O type 4. This is a weird not-water that looks and acts like water except that it is unusually viscous when it contacts nitrogen rich gases like the interior of our stuff, forming a strong membrane. Therefore no water seeps in. :science:

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Yeah, I really should redownload it and get more than 10 minutes in, while I've got the urge fresh from the LP.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So in 2 hours time I managed to get up to the point of the LP somewhat but it took me almost an hour to find a geyser so I haven't started on a base yet. Also I managed to encounter an enemy not seen in the videos yet (which really caught me off guard) and something else as well.
And I'm swimming in mobile vehicle bay and seaglide parts but only 2 out of 3 for the laser cutter. :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Chronische posted:

The Lifepod used to drift before you repaired it. Not sure if that happens now because for some people in the beta it drifted out into the great unknown :v:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

mortons stork posted:

I still get an annoyed twitch from seeing the dude just casually break the laws of physics and not flood his underwater base as he casually opens a hatch that leads undisturbed into the rest of the building. Also no it's not explained at all

Though that still outweighs actually waiting for the airlock, since it's something you'll be doing constantly, so my annoyance immediately recedes whenever I think of the gameplay implications.

Hang on. I'm not a physicist by a long shot, but wouldn't it also be impossible to open a door to a sealed atmospheric chamber when surrounded by water? Wouldn't the mass of the water effectively push the door shut, until there was enough water IN said chamber until pressure between the two was pretty much the same?

I know this is a fairly easy question, but I'm not sure how I would word it in Google without messing it up somehow.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Samovar posted:

Hang on. I'm not a physicist by a long shot, but wouldn't it also be impossible to open a door to a sealed atmospheric chamber when surrounded by water? Wouldn't the mass of the water effectively push the door shut, until there was enough water IN said chamber until pressure between the two was pretty much the same?

I know this is a fairly easy question, but I'm not sure how I would word it in Google without messing it up somehow.

This is correct, yes.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You just have to open the door real fast

NHO
Jun 25, 2013

Hwurmp posted:

You just have to open the door real fast

real strong you mean. REAL STRONG

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I think the Seamoth just quickdrains all the water you fill it with as soon as the hatch shuts.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Sitting through an animation, every time, of the Seamoth pumping water in before opening and pumping it back out after closing would be boring as hell, so I'm glad the game doesn't bother with it.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Samovar posted:

Well, yes. But I was glossing over that and assuming somehow the hatch also has a quick depressurize command. Another violation of physics on top of the one I mentioned.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
If we wanted that level of realism, we'd be getting the bends with how rapidly we're ascending for air refills.

Better to just go "nanomachines, son" and enjoy the gameplay.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Realism sucks.

Especially for Subnautica, because the Devs actually listened to people who complained that the fabricator was too fast (one couple-second animation and done for everything) and so they slowed it down.
Then people complained about it being too slow (and a bunch of goons went to the official forums to provide feedback, including some excellent posts by excellent people) and it was sped up a bit. Complex materials were still slower than original but the base stuff was back to being pretty darn quick.

Enjoy the experience of exploring an alien ocean aided by future space magic science tech and don't let the details ruin your immersion.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
haha fabricator goes brrrrrrrrr

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Shei-kun posted:

If we wanted that level of realism, we'd be getting the bends with how rapidly we're ascending for air refills.

Better to just go "nanomachines, son" and enjoy the gameplay.

There’s a mod out there that simulates getting the Bends. No, I don’t know why someone would want to play with it active. I’m also pretty sure I’ve seen people in the thread in Games recommending it. Unironically. :psyduck:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

No thanks, Mr.Bungles experimental mix is all the bends I need.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfa0swRs9bQ

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It was really weird to me and it still is that you, only protected by your swimsuit, can dive deeper than any of your vehicles, the only limiting factors being oxygen and heat. (and food/water depending on your game settings).

Like I didnt even experiment trying to get out of my seamoth at crush depth because I assumed it would be instant death. It's crushing a diving machine, it'd be insane for me to step outside. Until there was just a whole pile of loot there so I had to risk it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

apparently the world record without some sort of pressurised suit is 332 metres and that is still hella risky, but I know nothing on the subject.