Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Wait an iPad keyboard is $350 lmao

There's a few different ones but the new one with trackpad is $350 yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Turn off your zoom virtual background or webcam entirely and you’ll save a ton of cycles and power.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

How did this tiny video conferencing app become so widely used? So many software problems being discovered. I wonder if they are software encoding your feed. FaceTime is more likely to hit all the fixed function hardware... But video calling is quite a battery drain anyway. Encoding, decoding multiple feeds, network never sleeps, CPU never idles.

eames
May 9, 2009

It does look increasingly likely (link requires translation) that the 14" is getting Icy Lake CPUs instead of Comet Lake.

So from what I understand a potential base 14" quadcore ICL-U CPU would be very similar to the quadcore in the Air (i5-1035G7 vs i5-1030NG7), which could mean that the active cooling/higher TDP-up limit is really going to be one of the main differentiating factors in CPU performance.
Apple must be getting these chips really, really cheap at this point with pressure from both their in-house team and AMD.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Brain Issues posted:

Can you post a higher resolution image, I can't tell if the ribbon cable retainer clip is broken.

If it's not, and the clips for the sides aren't broken either, you should be able to just clip that ribbon cable back in and press the two halves together.
I got a good look at it under a magnifying glass and everything looks intact, but my first attempt didn't work. Left-licking works, but right-clicking and scrolling are dead. I probably didn't seat the ribbon cable back exactly right - it's not easy to do since the ribbon is so short; it's like doing surgery on a clam that won't open his shell more than an inch.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Hopefully these new 14-inchers will get Mini-LED? The 2020 Air with the quad i5 keeps looking more and more appealing, but that 400 nit brightness keeps haunting me.

The 16-inch rMBP is also said to be nit-deficient, Apple lists its max brightness as 500 nits, but the most anyone's been able to get even with TrueTone and Auto Brightness disabled is about 420-440 nits.

eames posted:

So from what I understand a potential base 14" quadcore ICL-U CPU would be very similar to the quadcore in the Air (i5-1035G7 vs i5-1030NG7), which could mean that the active cooling/higher TDP-up limit is really going to be one of the main differentiating factors in CPU performance.

Apple must be getting these chips really, really cheap at this point with pressure from both their in-house team and AMD.

Intel definitely is likely feeling the squeeze since AMD has been a loyal and good supplier of GPUs for Apple as well, and probably would give them a killer deal for Ryzens.

It's got to be a killer deal that they negotiated, Ice Lake is current generation and Intel doesn't normally discount brand new metal (well, nearly) off the line, especially for Apple. Which is why in the past Apple seems to have been happy to settle for being 1-2 generations behind in their models.

Hopefully the performance jump in higher voltage leads to higher performance; looking at the current crop of Geekbench results, in single core tests the 2020 MBA i5 4-core beats the lowest end 4-core 13-inch 2019 rMBP (1069 vs 1039; in multicore benches the same MBA has the punch of a 2012/2013 laptop.)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Pivo posted:

How did this tiny video conferencing app become so widely used?

I was wondering the same thing a few weeks ago, and from what asking around it sounds like it’s essentially tied to educational facilities being some of the first to close with them then offering their services for free really boosted their place in the marketplace. By the time normal business reacted, they were the most used service.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Pivo posted:

How did this tiny video conferencing app become so widely used? So many software problems being discovered. I wonder if they are software encoding your feed. FaceTime is more likely to hit all the fixed function hardware... But video calling is quite a battery drain anyway. Encoding, decoding multiple feeds, network never sleeps, CPU never idles.

My employer with >20,000 employees, has been using Zoom for at least 3 years before this whole mess started. Zoom seems to have caught on big time because of its focus on "just click the link and it works", including using a bunch of malware techniques to be able to install & run a native application with a minimum of permission.

Facetime is never an option in corporate environments because there's no guarantee that someone has a Mac or an iPhone.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Ha, anecdotally I've only gotten Zoom links from startups. God, can Teams call Skype Personal yet?

I didn't know Zoom had wide corporate use before this though. Certainly there are better alternatives for corporate that don't rely on being malware? And don't include Facebook trackers? I don't know how that flies. BlueJeans has a killer web client, and there are whitelabel providers if you need branding. Whoever my province got their e-health video conferencing system from, they did a good job.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Pivo posted:

Ha, anecdotally I've only gotten Zoom links from startups. God, can Teams call Skype Personal yet?
I think since April you should be able to contact Skype, given how Microsoft is pushing teams to consumers too with the office subscriptions I think Skype is not long for this world....

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Pivo posted:

I didn't know Zoom had wide corporate use before this though. Certainly there are better alternatives for corporate that don't rely on being malware?

My company has literally been in the headlines for leaking users private data recently, and constantly gets caught breaking client privacy / security agreements and sometimes gets hit with huge fines. I also don't think this is all that unusual. I doubt Zoom is the weakest link in the security chain at most companies, as bad as it is.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I had never even heard of Zoom until the pandemic. Just assumed everyone was using Skype or Duo.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Pivo posted:

How did this tiny video conferencing app become so widely used?
To answer that it's first necessary to learn a little something about Zoom's science initiatives and their research into interspecies viral transmission.

None of which is true but you have to admit would make a decent movie.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

eames posted:

It does look increasingly likely (link requires translation) that the 14" is getting Icy Lake CPUs instead of Comet Lake.

Dunno how much stock I'd put into this given that Apple just used custom variants of most of the CPUs on this list for the 2020 MBA.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

eames posted:

Honestly the MacBook Pro should be getting Ice Lake instead of Comet Lake just on loving principle.

eames
May 9, 2009

Godzilla07 posted:

Dunno how much stock I'd put into this given that Apple just used custom variants of most of the CPUs on this list for the 2020 MBA.

We'll see, I feel like a 14" with Comet Lake and the old iGPU would be somewhat disappointing compared to what might be possible with a "larger" ICL chip and decent cooling.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Pivo posted:

I didn't know Zoom had wide corporate use before this though. Certainly there are better alternatives for corporate that don't rely on being malware? And don't include Facebook trackers? I don't know how that flies. BlueJeans has a killer web client, and there are whitelabel providers if you need branding. Whoever my province got their e-health video conferencing system from, they did a good job.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Zoom provides live captioning while BlueJeans doesn't, which makes BlueJeans a no-go for many academic institutions. People seem to love the virtual backgrounds in Zoom, too. :3:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Gay Retard posted:

People seem to love the virtual backgrounds in Zoom, too. :3:

That's less "love", more "the minimum bar if you want me to be on all your stupid video meetings is a way to avoid showing you the interior of my house".

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I'm the so funny and wacky guy who uses Snapchat filters during a work zoom meeting

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Zoom is extremely easy to use, free for personal use and very cheap for businesses, has minimal bandwidth requirements, and will run on your 55 year old co-worker's ancient toaster laptop from 8 years ago. It's much less annoying to use than Teams and Skype too. No surprise that it's caught on massively.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Do I have a chance in hell of getting Apple to strip the Activation Lock off of a company MacBook that some jackass locked out before he left?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Do I have a chance in hell of getting Apple to strip the Activation Lock off of a company MacBook that some jackass locked out before he left?

Yes.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

What if I don't have any purchase record or receipt :\

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I wonder if this is a good time for Apple to reflect that its ecosystem is horrible for corporate use. Sure they didn't have to focus on enterprise before but now with so many people working from home on their personal Apple devices....

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
The mba would be leagues better if apple added a 1 inch heat pipe

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

That will make it more difficult, but if you call, they can at least tell you what they need to unlock the device.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Malcolm XML posted:

Where's my aftermarket cooling scene gotta go fast :iiaca:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Zoom is extremely easy to use, free for personal use and very cheap for businesses, has minimal bandwidth requirements, and will run on your 55 year old co-worker's ancient toaster laptop from 8 years ago.

Not exactly.. if you want support for virtual background without a green screen..

Zoom posted:

Mac Requirements

Image only without a physical green screen

Zoom Desktop Client for Mac, 4.6.0 (13614.1202) or higher
4th generation i7 quad-core or higher processor
6th generation i5 dual-core or higher processor
Note: 6th generation i5 dual-core processor, requires MacOS 10.14 or higher

In Mac terms, that's either a Mid-2014 i7 quad core rMBP or newer, or Mojave and a 2016 rMBP or newer. Mid-2014 is only about six years ago..
But yeah, it'll still run on older models, but without the cutesy MP4 of you walking in on yourself in the background.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 10, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
poo poo I’m teleconferencing on my 2008 MBP aluminum. It’s got a webcam. That’s all you really need. M

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

AlternateAccount posted:

How was the machine purchased? Did the employee buy it and expense it? If so the receipt should be in the expenses documentation, right? If not then you might be screwed as Apple will want to see something that proves you’re the owner.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

the virtual background things works okay on my imac 2013 i5.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Shaocaholica posted:

I wonder if this is a good time for Apple to reflect that its ecosystem is horrible for corporate use. Sure they didn't have to focus on enterprise before but now with so many people working from home on their personal Apple devices....

Apple’s enterprise implementations- both from Apple directly and through partnerships with companies like IBM- aren’t really any different from those of any other tech company largely deploying poo poo like ultrabooks and USFF PCs.

They’re hardly where they were a decade ago.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Evis posted:

How was the machine purchased? Did the employee buy it and expense it? If so the receipt should be in the expenses documentation, right? If not then you might be screwed as Apple will want to see something that proves you’re the owner.

Nah, 99% sure we bought it from our supplier. Can't find the specific serial in any of the documentation though.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

AlternateAccount posted:

Nah, 99% sure we bought it from our supplier. Can't find the specific serial in any of the documentation though.

Oh, in that case I guess contact the supplier and see if they can help you. You could try going to Apple directly but in my experience they won’t unlock anything you don’t have a receipt for. (If they did then having activation lock would be pointless, because anyone stealing an iPhone or Mac would be able to just go to an Apple store and get it unlocked.)

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Binary Badger posted:

In Mac terms, that's either a Mid-2014 i7 quad core rMBP or newer, or Mojave and a 2016 rMBP or newer. Mid-2014 is only about six years ago..
But yeah, it'll still run on older models, but without the cutesy MP4 of you walking in on yourself in the background.

Late 2013s had haswell (4th gen) too

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Malcolm XML posted:

Mister Facetious posted:

Where's my aftermarket cooling scene gotta go fast :iiaca:

(from https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/detachable-hybrid-watercooling-for-laptop.1201393/ )

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Day of 4 of MBA 2020: last night was an entire day of Logic X during the morning and Zoom 4 person video conference at night. Constant 95C temps during those loads. No fans.

Day 5: lots of outlook and word and Discord and torrents. No fans, never got hot.

Gotta be honest, I’m really happy with this laptop and if I had never heard about the heat pipe or watched the YouTube video I never would have noticed. So...

It feels like snappy like my 2014 MBA and it’s portable and it has great battery life. Not going to return it!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Pivo posted:

God, can Teams call Skype Personal yet?

This month actually

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I'm looking to get a new laptop and the new Air is on my radar. It's between this and a Surface Laptop 3 or a GalaxyBook of some sort right now, I think.

I live and work in Korea, and unfortunately a lot of Korea's online stuff requires Internet Explorer to work at all. Specifically, for my online lectures and the online portal for my university, I have to use Internet Explorer. There are also a few Windows-only apps I'd have to install.

This means I will likely need to run Windows on the Air. I've never owned a Mac, so I'm curious how well Windows works on one. Specifically, has anyone used Windows on the new Air?

In the same thread, I guess I want to check if the computer I'm looking at is right for what I need. I will primarily be doing office stuff on the laptop. Grading, writing papers, some light video editing. And also Zoom. I'm considering the 1.1ghz quad-core i5 with 16GB of ram and a 512GB HD.

cryptoclastic fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Apr 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TBH just get a surface book.

The Mac is great for a lot of reasons but running Windows is not one of those reasons.