Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I just console cheat myself to 999999 credits on every fresh ME1 run so that I can buy the Spectre weapons/armor and not have to deal with pickups. In most situations I recommend that people try to experience the entire game for themselves warts and all but there's no shame in using cheats there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Nuebot posted:

anyway the point is that yeah, keys are dumb and I wish I had a sixth sense that just told me I'd never ever need a key again so I could toss some of them away.

Sounds like a monkeys paw wish, where one day out of the blue after you leave home you get the feeling you won't need your house key again

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

In Doom Eternal you can equip different skins but the wall climbing animations all default to the regular Praetor armor, and it's incredibly distracting now that I've noticed it

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

RBA Starblade posted:

In Doom Eternal you can equip different skins but the wall climbing animations all default to the regular Praetor armor, and it's incredibly distracting now that I've noticed it

Are you sure? Because I've seen people do wall-climbing in the flaming and Doomicorn skins and they are definitely showing those skins.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Speaking of Doom, I started playing the first of the modern dooms and man, I can’t find any of the secrets. I spend so much time running around and looking at my map that it really kills the pacing.

I’m also doing it on ultra violent so I feel like I need to get these upgrades in order to stay alive cause these guys hurt like hell.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

marshmallow creep posted:

Are you sure? Because I've seen people do wall-climbing in the flaming and Doomicorn skins and they are definitely showing those skins.

Yep, I'm in the classic Doomguy skin (specifically the brown one) and it doesn't have massive gauntlets, just leather gloves

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Why can't I have a modern tactical turn-based combat game with tons of cool guns and environmental destruction?

Why can't I have a modern Silent Storm is what I mean. Why has nobody tried to duplicate it yet?

Oh poo poo, there's a house full of bad guys. I'm gonna lay prone with a heavy machine gun and spray bullets until the walls are swiss cheese. Meanwhile, my 2nd man is throwing a grenade into the basement to collapse the floor underneath the enemy. My sniper is cracking shots at anyone poking their head out. My fourth man is sneaking below windows and popping up to spray his SMG point blank at fools inside. Hell yeah, that house is literally falling apart around them! Bad-rear end!

It's too bad a lot of little decisions make the game a lot more frustrating and slow than it should be...

This is the time when you can tell me about X game that was recently released and is a spiritual successor. Please?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

RBA Starblade posted:

Yep, I'm in the classic Doomguy skin (specifically the brown one) and it doesn't have massive gauntlets, just leather gloves

Huh. I wonder if it's just that skin.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Eclipse12 posted:

Why can't I have a modern tactical turn-based combat game with tons of cool guns and environmental destruction?

Why can't I have a modern Silent Storm is what I mean. Why has nobody tried to duplicate it yet?

Oh poo poo, there's a house full of bad guys. I'm gonna lay prone with a heavy machine gun and spray bullets until the walls are swiss cheese. Meanwhile, my 2nd man is throwing a grenade into the basement to collapse the floor underneath the enemy. My sniper is cracking shots at anyone poking their head out. My fourth man is sneaking below windows and popping up to spray his SMG point blank at fools inside. Hell yeah, that house is literally falling apart around them! Bad-rear end!

It's too bad a lot of little decisions make the game a lot more frustrating and slow than it should be...

This is the time when you can tell me about X game that was recently released and is a spiritual successor. Please?

XCOM scratches this itch for me. The first one gave you a ton of fun tools to play with but still got a little formulaic at times once you figured out the best way to handle situations, the expansion pack and the sequel made you do some different stuff and some of it worked really well. I liked them a lot although I will admit to save scumming out of frustration several times. Have you tried those?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Eclipse12 posted:

Silent Storm had a lot of problems like the actual lockpicking system being completely useless since you didn't actually get enough lockpicks to level up, so you just resorted shooting through the lock.

It probably was the right choice but I didn't really like that Sentinels made it harder for you snipers to get the skill that completely ignored cover, because sending a bullet through 6 walls to hit a fuel barrel which causes a chain reaction that brings down every building on the made on top of the enemy mechs was really satisfying do to.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

gohuskies posted:

XCOM scratches this itch for me. The first one gave you a ton of fun tools to play with but still got a little formulaic at times once you figured out the best way to handle situations, the expansion pack and the sequel made you do some different stuff and some of it worked really well. I liked them a lot although I will admit to save scumming out of frustration several times. Have you tried those?

Yeah, but they're not really what I'm looking for. They're fun, but not the same. The sci-fi isn't as much my taste either, and in general XCOM is a lot less complex with fewer options for any scenario. Again, I wouldn't call them bad games, but they're far from Silent Storm outside of the most basic elements. Same for Fallout Tactics, which could have been very good, but is it's own worst enemy with some frustrating choices and super slow pacing.

Eclipse12 has a new favorite as of 21:59 on Apr 9, 2020

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Evilreaver posted:

Sounds like a monkeys paw wish, where one day out of the blue after you leave home you get the feeling you won't need your house key again

At least I'd know about my impending death and could leave a suitably cryptic letter next to my house key.

RBA Starblade posted:

Some of the skins have that issue. I've noticed it with the in-game ones more than the actual DLC ones. The other one you can earn that isn't basically just a reskin - the sentinel armor or whatever - I genuinely couldn't tell if the arm textures looked any different or not and gave up on trying to figure it out. Because even though the third person model looks completely different, what you see in first person looks 100% the same to the basic costume.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I would loving love a new Silent Storm.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Playing Steamworld Dig 2 and I'm getting really annoyed at the upgrade shop and how every single time you open it the guy asks if you want to upgrade, check your cogs (upgrade modifiers) or talk to him. Except there's no reason to talk to him from the shop since he is standing over to the side and if he has anything to say you can go over there and there's no reason for the upgrade and cogs to be separate because once you go into the menu you can switch between them with a shoulder button. You go to the upgrade shop a lot and it is annoying every time.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

moosecow333 posted:

Speaking of Doom, I started playing the first of the modern dooms and man, I can’t find any of the secrets. I spend so much time running around and looking at my map that it really kills the pacing.

I've had to look up a few, but most of them seemed pretty easy to find if you use the map and also just try to get to places that look like you could maybe jump to them if you tried hard enough. :shrug:

Although the levers to unlock the classic maps look too much like set dressing and I've walked right past them without seeing them a couple of times.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Eclipse12 posted:

It's last Gen and fps but that sounds a lot like Bad Company if you didn't try that one.
Also Mutant has some destructable cover, but it's hard as hell

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Eclipse12 posted:

The game with an abbreviation SS where you could play as the Axis spec ops team? Yeah wonder why no-one wants to touch that IPR...

(I played it and it really does scratch the XCOM 1 and Apocalypse itch)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Retro Futurist posted:

It's last Gen and fps but that sounds a lot like Bad Company if you didn't try that one.

God drat, I'm still looking for a cover shooter that scratches the same itch as Bad Company 2. Nothing in the world beat the feeling of driving a truck right into an enemy base, bailing out at the last second, C4ing the wall right around the MCOM site, blasting everyone inside with a Saiga as the dust clears and they're trying to figure out what the hell is going on, and taking the base for your team. God that game was incredible.

e: or spawning as a medic to help your comically inept team and kills from sneaking up on idiot snipers and using your medical paddles as a one-hit-kill, which I think might have not even gotten their dogtags so it was an extra "gently caress you" compared to stabbing

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

food court bailiff posted:

God drat, I'm still looking for a cover shooter that scratches the same itch as Bad Company 2. Nothing in the world beat the feeling of driving a truck right into an enemy base, bailing out at the last second, C4ing the wall right around the MCOM site, blasting everyone inside with a Saiga as the dust clears and they're trying to figure out what the hell is going on, and taking the base for your team. God that game was incredible.

I run a BC2 server for a month every now and again, I’ll PM you the next time I start it up.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Der Kyhe posted:

The game with an abbreviation SS where you could play as the Axis spec ops team? Yeah wonder why no-one wants to touch that IPR...

(I played it and it really does scratch the XCOM 1 and Apocalypse itch)

I think you actually mean the fan made(iirc) but officially released sequel Hammer and Sickle where you recruit post war ex-hitlerjugend into your team.

Honestly I think that is partially the reason why it's always abridged as S2 and S3 for the expansion, as well as those being the icon on the .exe.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I’m starting to think that my previous issue with Doom actually comes from me being incredibly unperceptive. I walked past a corpse with the yellow key card on in no less then 10 times before I had to look it up.

It’s me, I’m the thing dragging Doom down.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Something dragging down Doom for me is not being able to customize the controller layout. Don't give me a couple different choices, just let me pick what buttons do what!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The Zombie Guy posted:

Something dragging down Doom for me is not being able to customize the controller layout. Don't give me a couple different choices, just let me pick what buttons do what!

Every since I played Fallen Order, pretty much every game that doesn't support absolute control customization is basically stumbling from the starting gate.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Retro Futurist posted:

Was a big fan of the Bad Company games!

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

moosecow333 posted:

I’m starting to think that my previous issue with Doom actually comes from me being incredibly unperceptive. I walked past a corpse with the yellow key card on in no less then 10 times before I had to look it up.

It’s me, I’m the thing dragging Doom down.

I just got Doom last week. I had that issue with every singe classic level lever. I would look it up online and find out I'm basically standing on top of it half the time. Also the secret radar barely does anything and some of the secrets you literally need to have already found for your radar to even start pinging them.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
This isn't something dragging a game down so much as something dragging a mod down. I've been replaying the Mass Effect trilogy and for the third game, I installed several gameplay mods. One of which is the Spectre Expansion mod. It supposedly makes the game world feel more alive by adding events that you can influence by using Spectre Authorization Terminal.

I'm saved just before the last Quarian mission in Mass Effect 3 - so more than 2/3 through the game - and every event that I've seen so far has been a detriment to the ongoing war effort. That's not exaggeration, either. The entire time you're playing Mass Effect 3, you're gathering assets for the war effort, and every event from this mod is a net negative. I just got dinged for events that I authorized in the first 10 hours of my playthrough, and it cost me a lot of war effort points. So it's a mod where the old line from Wargames applies "the only winning move is not to play."

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

It's so annoying that literally every time I assassinate someone in an Assassins Creed game I have to sit through a post-death cutscene where they act like a smug dickhead.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Necrothatcher posted:

It's so annoying that literally every time I assassinate someone in an Assassins Creed game I have to sit through a post-death cutscene where they act like a smug dickhead.

I, uh, think you might be bad at assassinating

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Necrothatcher posted:

I love that they brought that back in Origins and made it more than just holding their hand while saying "yeah, RIP".

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something annoying with Breath of the wild (I'm giving it another go, it's OK) is that every chapter except for the Rito's segment has an annoying gameplay segment that I hate doing. The Gerudo have an annoying stealth section and a hard to pull off minigame to stop the divine beast so you can get in it, the Zora Domain approach kills any freedom of movement by having constant rain so you have to walk most of the path and can't take shortcuts, and the Gorons have a bit where you have to help an NPC get past a guarded route.

They are all irritating ideas when done in most other games, and they all appear in this one to piss me off. i'm done with the Zora story and I'm starting the Goron story as it's the only one I didn't beat my first time playing (the furthest I got was doing three divine beasts and getting to the fourth. I think I stopped because I ran out of an arrow type for a puzzle and it annoyed me.)

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

Something annoying with Breath of the wild (I'm giving it another go, it's OK) is that every chapter except for the Rito's segment has an annoying gameplay segment that I hate doing. The Gerudo have an annoying stealth section and a hard to pull off minigame to stop the divine beast so you can get in it, the Zora Domain approach kills any freedom of movement by having constant rain so you have to walk most of the path and can't take shortcuts, and the Gorons have a bit where you have to help an NPC get past a guarded route.

They are all irritating ideas when done in most other games, and they all appear in this one to piss me off. i'm done with the Zora story and I'm starting the Goron story as it's the only one I didn't beat my first time playing (the furthest I got was doing three divine beasts and getting to the fourth. I think I stopped because I ran out of an arrow type for a puzzle and it annoyed me.)

i remember all of those parts really sucked rear end.

BOTW gets a lot of well deserved praise for the incredible exploration mechanics and the freedom the game offers, but a lot of the traditional Zelda stuff is weak compared to other games. All of those segments completely fly in the face of the open-ended mentality the game is good at.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I dunno what'cha mean. I still said "gently caress it" to those parts and climbed over the mountains in the rain, said "nuts to that" to the escort and just left the escortee at the start, went ahead and sniped down all the enemies before returning and leading him across a safe path, and i don't really remember much about the Gerudo stuff except for sand surfing which was sick. I don't remember surfing after the camel to be particularly hard either, p. sure i did it first try (as opposed to the frigging elephant sequence which i had to repeat three times).
Sounds like open ended mentality to me. They give you the option to go ahead with some narrative constraints to build a particular experience, orrr.... ignore it with a bit of effort.

I disliked the Rito stuff the most becuase traversing their village and area in general was a pain.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So aside from breakable tools still killing my vibe in animal crossing; Nintendo decided to run two events at once. One was "Bunny Day" wherein eggs would replace items gained from fishing, hitting rocks, digging, and cutting trees. So this actively made the game more annoying to play because every single item related to them is really, really awful to look at. It's just tacky walmart tier easter stuff. The second event was a very short lived spring blossom event with a lot of really cool peach blossom themed items which had a pattern drop rate so rare most people didn't even know it was a thing in the game. I didn't see a single one, none of my friends got a single one. But I sure did spend the past like two weeks having significantly less fun than I would have otherwise because every facet of this game is straight up just crippled by this crafting garbage and I just kind of don't want to play anymore because I can't even have fun with animal crossing the way I got the game specifically to have fun with it, because there's no way to avoid it anymore. I can't decorate my home because lol, good luck finding the patterns so you can gather the resources to craft the items (and any copies of the items) and you can't just relax and fish or hunt bugs because your tools are going to break every few minutes. You can't even just sit down and play animal crossing anymore because the game's flow is a constant stop-start of gently caress you, go grind materials to make a thing so you can grind materials to make a thing so you can do the thing you wanted to do for a few more minutes.

It sucks.

Also: Resident Evil 3's remake is weird. They cut out a lot of Resident Evil 3. But also recycled a weird amount of Resident Evil 2 (and I don't just mean the obvious re-use of the police department which I was actually looking forward to). Nemesis is somehow less interesting and less threatening than both Mr.X from 2's remake, and the original nemesis and the game's enemy design is really lackluster. Also; There's some kind of vague implication going on that Nemesis is a plagas now and I kind of hate that

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Casually playing, my wife and my brother (I set my hemisphere to Southern so I haven't had the event yet) nearly completed the cherry blossom recipe thing. They fixed the egg spawn rate with a patch on like day two of the egg event, and 100% of egg stuff (except fish and rocks) are identified with bright rainbow pastel coloration on the balloon/recipe bottle/etc. so it's nearly avoidable. The only remaining thing from the bunny day event is that like 20% of medium fish blobs and 20% of objects that pop out of rocks are stupid eggs.

Also the tools break like every other session, tops, unless you're endlessly grinding and/or only crafting the lowest tier.

Sorry you aren't enjoying the game friend!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

Casually playing, my wife and my brother (I set my hemisphere to Southern so I haven't had the event yet) nearly completed the cherry blossom recipe thing. They fixed the egg spawn rate with a patch on like day two of the egg event, and 100% of egg stuff (except fish and rocks) are identified with bright rainbow pastel coloration on the balloon/recipe bottle/etc. so it's nearly avoidable. The only remaining thing from the bunny day event is that like 20% of medium fish blobs and 20% of objects that pop out of rocks are stupid eggs.

Also the tools break like every other session, tops, unless you're endlessly grinding and/or only crafting the lowest tier.

Sorry you aren't enjoying the game friend!

Almost every tree I hit has at least one or two of its wood as eggs, I've had entire rocks give me nothing but eggs, I've been getting more eggs than fossils from dig spots as well. It's cool that you've been blindingly lucky with the game but "lol I haven't had that problem sucks to be you" is never a great defense of a game.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

fossils haven't been affected by bunny day, you get 4 a day just like always

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
What annoyed me in Breath of the Wild is that some of your special abilities like the one that creates the gust of wind come with three charges but they don’t refresh until you expend all three.

So many wasted gales just so I could get the cool down to start.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’m still trying to beat these 4 opening shrines on breath of the wild. It’s too cold and i keep dying. Were games always this hard or have I gotten worse?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Consider various ways to warm up. Maybe talk to the old man, or see what the environment has to offer you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
BOTW starts out pretty tough from my experience. The opening plateau is kind of a microcosm of the full game basically, except you have a pitiful amount of hearts and stamina so everything is a bit harder. There's hidden armor and weapons stashed all over, and plenty of stuff to forage for cooking food to warm you up. Give that a try if you haven't already.