Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Wark Say posted:

: Is there any chance for Kentucky to boot that loving wraith Mitch McConnell off his senate seat come November?

It's not looking great.

Also due to their highly competent dem governor, Kentucky is going to dodge the mass graves that could drag McConnell down.

Also they didn't really go left in their dem candidate; they basically found a trump loving blue dog and hey maybe something will happen who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Phobic Nest posted:

A local venue hasn't cancelled its June concerts yet, but I can't imagine they're gonna happen.

I know early on there was a lot of stuff that didn't cancel but it was really just a thing where if the act canceled the contract they lost a bunch of stuff like yearly slots and deposits, if the venue canceled they lost the income, but if the city/state canceled there was insurance. So there was a bunch of like trade shows and broadway stuff where they were like "nope, totally not canceled, totally still happening" while the building was already closed and there was zero intention to actually have anything happen.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Framboise posted:

I don't suppose that's retroactive, is it. I'd love nothing more than to get out of this job but I've been sticking with it because I've been banking hopelessly on PSLF even though less than 1% of applicants actually get it.

Those numbers, while outrageous and frankly reprehensible, probably aren’t representative for your situation. PSLF was very poorly run from its inception until something like 2014, when they finally standardized it. So in 2017, a bunch of people who were told, “Just keep making payments and come back in ten years,” found out they didn’t have the right kind of loans, weren’t on the right kind of repayment plan, or that their employer wasn’t eligible.

Since 2014, the administration of the program has standardized and improved. I’ve been paying on my loans for PSLF and I’ve got to reverify frequently, with a special federal servicer that updates me on how many months of PSLF payments I have. It sounded like you’ve been paying for less than five years, so if you’ve started the program you should’ve been funneled to the right place.

But sure, who knows what capricious admin will be in place in 2025.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Don't feel too bad though, almost every single art school student is taking out those sort of loans too. Especially if they're desperately trying to get out of some flyover state by moving to a big city with a big art institute.
Savannah College of Art and Design would have cost me $120,000 in 2001. Denver University currently charges $1000 a course hour.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1248620923248205824

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert
Read that as People's Volcel

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Wark Say posted:

I'm not going to argue for anything concerning the presidential race. It's totally understandable if people are reluctant to vote for Biden since--let's be honest here-- he very much seems like it's going to be an even shittier candidate than Hillary along with both all the skeletons he has in his over-stuffed closet and how he's been shown to be in the wrong side of history for his entire political career. However, a buncha goons in D&D and specifically in this thread (or what used to be the D&D Trump thread, at least) seem to have a good head on their shoulders and realized that down-ballot elections matter a great deal, especially while dealing with an erratic yet malicious poo poo-stirrer like the swiss-cheese-brained grifter fuckbag you have for a POTUS. I remember Friendbot, Your Boy Fancy, Koalas March among others (I'm probably forgetting at least a couple of other goons rn, including one that even made it to the primaries; sorry :shobon:) going to the mat on canvassing and making poo poo happen at the local/state level and I have to ask: Is there any chance for Kentucky to boot that loving wraith Mitch McConnell off his senate seat come November?

Everyone vote for downballot. I do not want to vote for biden and will struggle to check that box. maybe i'll give in when I'm actually standing there, but i am still extremely loving angry about how this entire primary was handled, and the backroom bullshit that helped biden across the line.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Everyone vote for downballot. I do not want to vote for biden and will struggle to check that box. maybe i'll give in when I'm actually standing there, but i am still extremely loving angry about how this entire primary was handled, and the backroom bullshit that helped biden across the line.

This. I live in New Jersey and legal weed is up for a vote so I have to go. I probably will vote Biden against my better judgement.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Btw more polls came out today and approval for Trumps handling of the virus continues to go down.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Stickman posted:

EE: And stop putting cliffs in your means-tested subsidies, Liberals. Learn your drat lesson sometime.

I assume these happen because most Americans are effectively innumerate and would freak the gently caress out if you presented them with a formula that you'd expect an 8th grader to be able to solve.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Wark Say posted:

I'm not going to argue for anything concerning the presidential race. It's totally understandable if people are reluctant to vote for Biden since--let's be honest here-- he very much seems like it's going to be an even shittier candidate than Hillary along with both all the skeletons he has in his over-stuffed closet and how he's been shown to be in the wrong side of history for his entire political career. However, a buncha goons in D&D and specifically in this thread (or what used to be the D&D Trump thread, at least) seem to have a good head on their shoulders and realized that down-ballot elections matter a great deal, especially while dealing with an erratic yet malicious poo poo-stirrer like the swiss-cheese-brained grifter fuckbag you have for a POTUS. I remember Friendbot, Your Boy Fancy, Koalas March among others (I'm probably forgetting at least a couple of other goons rn, including one that even made it to the primaries; sorry :shobon:) going to the mat on canvassing and making poo poo happen at the local/state level and I have to ask: Is there any chance for Kentucky to boot that loving wraith Mitch McConnell off his senate seat come November?

Yeah, I'm going to say go find yourself a senator or a house rep or state legislator who is running that you feel passionate about and put effort into getting that person elected.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

FizFashizzle posted:

It's not looking great.

Also due to their highly competent dem governor, Kentucky is going to dodge the mass graves that could drag McConnell down.

Also they didn't really go left in their dem candidate; they basically found a trump loving blue dog and hey maybe something will happen who knows.
Yeah, there's Charles Booker, who is cool and good, and there's Amy McGrath, who's... yeah. An upgrade over McConnell, but not really the one that drives enthusiasm up.

She's also going to get steamrolled.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1248630671754563585

He probably thinks that the virus is a literal person

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Trump Ex: Invisible Wars for ps2

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine

WoodrowSkillson posted:

:same: I thought my personal ethics were very utilitarian until recently, but now... Ugh, I'm just gonna hope he's not really the candidate come November.

In other news,

Michael Cohen, Trump’s former lawyer, in solitary confinement

quote:

One of the sources said Cohen was placed in solitary after another inmate complained about his internet use.

“It is my understanding that a verbal dispute over phone use prompted a temporary placement to SHU pending an investigation. I do not however know who prompted the altercation, or if the action taken was factually/ regulatory appropriate," Cohen’s lawyer, Roger Adler, said in an email to Reuters.

Paging Greyjoy, I blame you. Somehow.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Phobic Nest posted:

:same: I thought my personal ethics were very utilitarian until recently, but now... Ugh, I'm just gonna hope he's not really the candidate come November.

In other news,

Michael Cohen, Trump’s former lawyer, in solitary confinement

Paging Greyjoy, I blame you. Somehow.

To be fair, I have been wondering how he was allowed to tweet so much from jail

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

https://twitter.com/GovernorVA/status/1248632366316347394?s=19

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Prairie Bus posted:

Those numbers, while outrageous and frankly reprehensible, probably aren’t representative for your situation. PSLF was very poorly run from its inception until something like 2014, when they finally standardized it. So in 2017, a bunch of people who were told, “Just keep making payments and come back in ten years,” found out they didn’t have the right kind of loans, weren’t on the right kind of repayment plan, or that their employer wasn’t eligible.

Since 2014, the administration of the program has standardized and improved. I’ve been paying on my loans for PSLF and I’ve got to reverify frequently, with a special federal servicer that updates me on how many months of PSLF payments I have. It sounded like you’ve been paying for less than five years, so if you’ve started the program you should’ve been funneled to the right place.

But sure, who knows what capricious admin will be in place in 2025.

I've been on PSLF for a bit over four years, yeah. Got loans (both subsidized and unsubsidized) with FedLoan, AES, and Navient (obligatory "gently caress you, Navient"), and as far as I know they're all eligible?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1248578583225872385

Even if everything opened back up on May 1st (which it won’t) how many people are going to be rushing back to restaurants and other public gatherings anyway with the threat of the virus still very loving real. Those industries are completely hosed.

Yeah, they're absolutely screwed.

The restaurant industry already went through a mini-recession a few years ago, and lots of restaurants can't survive even a moderate loss of demand. Tons of restaurants and bars were already starting to see problems a week or two before lockdowns because some small but meaningful percentage of people were starting to be afraid of congregating in big groups.

The funny thing is that 2008 actually accelerated fast-casual chain growth because people really wanted cheap options for eating out. I'm wondering if this is going to end up accelerating the growth of restaurants that can focus on drive-through or curbside service, or if it'll just turbofuck the industry because people don't see takeout as an acceptable substitute for dining out.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Solkanar512 posted:

If you’re no expert and you don’t know, don’t post answers like this. Holy crap, lots of people are looking for help and serious answers and your bullshit cynicism isn’t funny and doesn’t help.

Well hell, that's half the posts that ever fill a thread. Ok guys, shut it down, super serious posts only from now on

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

There it is, president reality show is in it for the ratings

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Willo567 posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1248630671754563585

He probably thinks that the virus is a literal person
*checks under bed*

honey the monster is gone, go to sleep

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

What a sad dumb poo poo. Also All hi retweets are of loving impeachment poo poo still. I guess barr made some noises.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/LindseyGrahamSC/status/1248599109583302661

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

My god is Lindsey Graham stupid

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Might as well just blame Canada

Like seriously, they're trying to deflect from their incompetence with xenophobic flailing

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Lindsey Graham is stupid, but this is probably him trying to redirect blame on Trump and the GOP.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1248637403893583872

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Remember when Trump thanked President Xi for his great handling of the virus?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Remember when Trump thanked President Xi for his great handling of the virus?

Has Trump even said remotely anything negative about Xi/China, other than labeling Biden as a China defender?

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Munkeymon posted:

I assume these happen because most Americans are effectively innumerate and would freak the gently caress out if you presented them with a formula that you'd expect an 8th grader to be able to solve.

That’s true, which is also because we expect everyone to calculate their own tax returns even though the IRS does it anyways. Gotta prop up the private tax industry!

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Munkeymon posted:

8th grade math would actually be slightly above the average American's math skill level.

quote:

When the OECD tested half-a-million 15-year-old students around the world in a test known as PISA in 2012, US teens came in 27th place in math, below their counterparts in Estonia, Latvia, Vietnam, and Spain.

American adults, it turns out, are no more capable. And when it comes to digital problem-solving, they are literally the worst in the developed world.

In math, Americans with a high school diploma performed about the same as high school dropouts in other countries.

“What makes this so sobering is that this is not a high-level test of math or critical-thinking skills,” Stephen Provasnik, a research scientist at the National Center on Education Statistics, told Quartz.

In digital problem-solving, US adults came dead last, with a score of 274 compared with an average of 283. That places the average American adult somewhere around the level of an average 7th grader in the OECD.

Americans' math skills are nominally higher the first few years after high school, but quickly revert back down towards a 7th grade level after age 21.

Edit: For what it's worth, Americans are slightly above average in literacy and writing tests. They are just very bad at math.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 10, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Willo567 posted:

Lindsey Graham is stupid, but this is probably him trying to redirect blame on Trump and the GOP.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1248637403893583872

Yeah. Graham probably deep down knows this poo poo won’t fly well outside the base(not like it ever mattered to these dips) trumps doing it at 1 today. While the stocks are open so lol.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Latest Rasmussen poll has Trump at 43% approve 56% disapprove which I don’t think I’ve ever seen before.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Willo567 posted:

Has Trump even said remotely anything negative about Xi/China, other than labeling Biden as a China defender?

yeah tons of times

whenever he talks to someone who hates China he talks poo poo about China, until he has a phone call with Xi and then he starts praising China

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012
https://ctmirror.org/2020/04/08/bernies-out-but-he-still-wants-a-connecticut-primary/

quote:

Bernie Sanders ended his campaign for president Wednesday, but he still wants Connecticut and a handful of other states to hold Democratic primaries in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic — a bid to amass more delegates and influence at the Democratic National Convention.

Well according to what I saw at least once a page for many, many pages in this very thread, Bernie wants to murder a bunch of folks for, uhm, reasons.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/1246921149524504576

https://twitter.com/TPM/status/1248638552864366599

quote:

Ammon Bundy, the rancher who led an armed occupation of a federal wildlife refuge in Oregon, said he plans on holding an Easter gathering despite stay-at-home orders implemented during the coronavirus pandemic.

Bundy told CNN he wants to gather several hundred people in Idaho at a yet-to-be-announced location. He said he believes it’s his constitutional right to assemble, even as state and local officials urge people to socially distance to avoid spreading the virus further.

“Our goal is to get enough people together and secure our rights… we are not trying to provoke, we want people to be able to worship,” Bundy said in a phone interview. Idaho is one of the 42 states that have implemented a stay-at-home order aimed at stopping the spread of coronavirus.

Bundy says he wants to contract the virus in order to become immune. As of yet, there’s no evidence that people can’t be reinfected.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Would have been great if this dumb arrogant fucker were in jail already, but America :911:

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

I know reality doesn't matter much, but this is a bonkers move when they're literally just now tracing the original New York cases to European travel.

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012

I'm pretty sure yelling "FREE MAN ON THE LAND" while hiding under a tarp doesn't work on viruses.

But it's alright since the virus will only kill the fictional legal entity of their lungs because maritime law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
My mitochondria do NOT consent to joinder!