Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TulliusCicero posted:

Would have been great if this dumb arrogant fucker were in jail already, but America :911:
seems like he's doing a public service to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Latest Rasmussen poll has Trump at 43% approve 56% disapprove which I don’t think I’ve ever seen before.
Wasn't he at some point like 38% approve with Rasmussen in like the last 2 weeks?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Wark Say posted:

Wasn't he at some point like 38% approve with Rasmussen in like the last 2 weeks?

That was after the 538 adjustments

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ah yes Smallpox. Famously harmless to populations encountering it for the first time. :stare:

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 10, 2020

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

8th grade math would actually be slightly above the average American's math skill level.

Edit: For what it's worth, Americans are slightly above average in literacy and writing tests. They are just very bad at math.

Yeah, people are shamed for illiteracy but being 'bad at math' is just a personality quirk haha :rolleyes:

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert
Something weird going on for Rasmussen. Their # has dropped while others have leveled or gone up.

Sinister_Beekeeper
Oct 20, 2012

Arturo Ui posted:

Something weird going on for Rasmussen. Their # has dropped while others have leveled or gone up.

Unless something changed, Rasmussen was always weirdly accurate in their numbers were consistently wrong. So (making a number up off the top of my head here to explain), their polls were always like 7% off, but if you took out their magic numbers, they tended to be pretty good.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
It's really cool that the answer to the absolute failure of the executive branch is to just turn the xenophobia up to 11.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Sinister_Beekeeper posted:

https://ctmirror.org/2020/04/08/bernies-out-but-he-still-wants-a-connecticut-primary/

Well according to what I saw at least once a page for many, many pages in this very thread, Bernie wants to murder a bunch of folks for, uhm, reasons.

CT's primary is delayed till June 2. Do they have mail in ballots there?

If not that seems like plenty of time to get them sorted out.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Governor Northam posted:

Governor Northam signed these bills:

Senate Bill 70 and House Bill 2 require background checks on all firearm sales in Virginia, which will prevent guns from ending up in dangerous hands.

Ok, but are they going to start prosecuting straw purchasers?

Governor Northam posted:

Senate Bill 69 and House Bill 812 reinstate Virginia’s one-handgun-a-month rule to help curtail stockpiling of firearms and trafficking.

How many firearms constitutes a "stockpile?" Is there a limit to how many magazines you can purchase at one time? There is a reason that soldiers and police do roll around with 15 guns on their person.

Governor Northam posted:

House Bill 9 requires gun owners to report their lost or stolen firearms to law enforcement within 48 hours or face a civil penalty.

Are there other cases where being the victim of a crime is penalized? Also, what is to stop anyone from having a "boat accident," reporting their guns lost and just keeping them?

Governor Northam posted:

House Bill 1083 prevents children from accessing firearms by increasing the penalty for recklessly leaving firearms in their presence.

I don't see how this is going to deter anyone who would leave their firearms were children could get at them.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

PeterCat posted:

How many firearms constitutes a "stockpile?" Is there a limit to how many magazines you can purchase at one time? There is a reason that soldiers and police do roll around with 15 guns on their person.

The purpose of the one a month rule is to make illegal trafficking via straw purchases harder and less worth it, because you can only do it once a month instead of buying loads of guns every day

it's not really an attempt to keep people from owning/stockpiling guns for personal use, since as you say, in a year you could buy a dozen handguns which is more than anyone really needs no matter how much you love guns

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
:patriot:

https://twitter.com/kenklippenstein/status/1248628681456652289

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

PeterCat posted:

Ok, but are they going to start prosecuting straw purchasers?

How many firearms constitutes a "stockpile?"

#1 is yes.

#2 is a good question. I don't see it in any of the article summaries. I'm going to check the bill for the definition.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Deptfordx posted:

Ah yes Smallpox. Famously harmless to populations encountering it for the first time. :stare:

It was also really loving bad for Europeans throughout history, too.

It was just less bad for them than it was for people of the Americas who had zero immunity.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

#1 is yes.

#2 is a good question. I don't see it in any of the article summaries. I'm going to check the bill for the definition.

Looks like the bill doesn't actually define a stockpile or put any limits on how many you can own.

It is just limiting you to one purchased gun per month to "prevent stockpiling," but doesn't actually make it illegal to stockpile.

Also, you can be exempt from the one gun per month rule in a few circumstances.

quote:

The bill exempts from this provision (i) persons who have been issued a certificate by the Department of State Police under certain circumstances and with an enhanced background check, (ii) law-enforcement agencies and officers, (iii) state and local correctional facilities, (iv) licensed private security companies, (v) persons who hold a valid Virginia concealed handgun permit, (vi) persons whose handgun has been stolen or irretrievably lost or who are trading in a handgun, (vii) purchases of handguns in a private sale, and (viii) purchases of antique firearms.

This looks like it mostly just stops firearms stores from letting people bulk-buy and people from out of state bulk-buy.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

PeterCat posted:

There is a reason that soldiers and police do roll around with 15 guns on their person.

Obviously you're not looking at the right everyday carry lists.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Bravo on such a skillful performative piece illustrating the case of "Letting Perfect be the enemy of Good."

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/1248660660382121984

quote:

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee (R) and several of his neighbors — whose properties on the Gulf Coast of Florida have private beaches — have filed a federal lawsuit challenging a county government ordinance which temporarily closes all beaches.
The county took the step in response to the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic. Huckabee and his neighbors claim the order prevents them from “being able to use or even set foot in their own backyards.”

The lawsuit, filed Monday in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Florida against Walton County and its sheriff, claims that the local government’s efforts to enforce the social distancing measure violates the property owners’ constitutional rights.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Haha, eat poo poo, Huckabee. Dog killers.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

"Non-concur"

"Do not recommend waiving..."

This is a very polite "gently caress off" from the DOD to DHS.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Taerkar posted:

Bravo on such a skillful performative piece illustrating the case of "Letting Perfect be the enemy of Good."

it's the usual bait-and-switch

10 "we don't need draconian bans, we can do so much good with some common-sense reforms that barely even inconvenience gun owners"
20 "okay sounds good, we'll do exactly as you suggest"
30 "oh you're not going far enough, if you're not going to do a draconian ban then it's useless"
GOTO 10

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

https://twitter.com/hermit_hwarang/status/1248654504037421056?s=19

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

its not even just because of the tentions. its because right now china is winning soft power "race" because trump refused to play. now we are playing catch up witht he only way the pentagon and the chuds know how. obviously other reasons too.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

I guess the Trump administration thought it might be a good idea to pivot to Asia...

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Jim_Brunner/status/1248652973334335488

Sounds like a good proposal.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

I don't have a problem with UBCs, I just asked if they were going to increase prosecution of straw purchasers. Does this ban person to person sales? If I sell a pistol to someone, do I have to keep records? Is there a registry of some sort in Virginia?

Because if the idea the required reporting of lost or stolen firearms is that if a gun that you supposedly own is used in a crime that you are liable for that gun's whereabouts, what is stopping you from claiming that you sold it in a person to person sale? Or, more Constitutionally, simply refusing to answer any questions regarding the firearm on 5th Amendment grounds?

The law increasing the penalty for not securing a firearm around children sounds like a backdoor storage requirement, and would be more palatable if that's what it was.

Not being able to bulk buy handguns is understandable and even reasonable as long guns are better for non-criminal uses of firearms.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

This closure of private beaches is lawful because landowners whose property is next to a beach don't actually own the beach, right?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DOCgHePSzc

its started.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

"We're going to get Mexico, as the expression goes, over the barrel" trump.

loving piece of poo poo idiot.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

The Bananana posted:

Yeah, how's it going getting them to pay for your dumbass wall?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Gah, label these links, I saw a few frames of his face moving

vote_no posted:

This closure of private beaches is lawful because landowners whose property is next to a beach don't actually own the beach, right?

Depends on local laws, but generally yes. A tech billionare lost a high-profile case like this in California and was ordered to stop blocking public access to "his" beach.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Yeah for all the protest they spawned, the new VA gun laws are pretty mild, inoffensive and full of loopholes (and were from the start). But every bit helps and even just making gun purchasing slightly more inconvenient is a start to cutting down certain types of gun violence.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Bananana posted:

He just can't help sticking his toad-shaped nob in the hornet's nest, can he? I so badly wish there was a reporter there who would actually grill him on the wall BS or just his overall racist-rear end default stances.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Wark Say posted:

He just can't help sticking his toad-shaped nob in the hornet's nest, can he? I so badly wish there was a reporter there who would actually grill him on the wall BS or just his overall racist-rear end default stances.

true but why. the chuds will just denie reality and the reporter will be screamed at for 10 min by trump and no one cares about the wall anymore.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1248673934544973827

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1248674272400285697

they are gonna gut WHO and trumps getting pissy.

Edit. trumps gonna make this a looong one. he just they will have plenty of time for questions later since "everyone is off today".

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1248669526855749632

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 10, 2020

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It is, but this is basically what a bunch of European countries are already doing

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1248637403893583872

The best propaganda is true.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003
Any reason why China or some other coalition of countries won't step up and fill the WHO-funding vacuum?

Seems like this is just pointlessly ceding soft power and opening the door for other nations to position themselves well.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

NecroBob posted:

Any reason why China or some other coalition of countries won't step up and fill the WHO-funding vacuum?

Seems like this is just pointlessly ceding soft power and opening the door for other nations to position themselves well.

No, and that's an accurate assessment. American soft power is not profitable for Trump, also it involves people who aren't nice to him who he can't just get rid of, so out the window it goes.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

This won't matter because "things were different". Just like the breadlines on the expressway that got captioned as Bernie's America. But it's happening now under Trump. "Yeah, but that's different"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
The official death count from H1N1 was much lower than 12,000 or 17,000. Those are the CDC estimates, which try to factor in deaths that weren’t counted due to lack of testing.

What are the odds that Trump and Republicans reject the CDC estimates that come out later for COVID-19? Because it will certainly be adjusted upward, not downward.