Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

what if the general walks in wearing a tiny hat you can't see until it's too late

time works the same way

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
See me on Dragons' Den next series with my flashing LED auto-salute beret operated by clenching of the sphincter

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm not sure if it's the origin of it, but in England taking your hat off when you entered church was supposedly you showing that you weren't hiding from God, compared to the other Abrahammic religions (and indeed many Christian sects) that actually want you to wear a hat, presumably because God is sick of looking at bald spots.

Conversely, in the English courts, the judge would put a black cloth over the top of his head when sentencing someone to death so God couldn't see him passing the sentence (power over life and death of course being God's thing), which is a bit of theological sleight-of-hand that would have Rabbis howling.

I think the use outside of church is just a general, very visible, way of showing respect - see also hat tipping as a general hello/goodbye. I don't *think* it's a military thing because the military don't generally take their hats off to show respect - a salute or bow/nod/curtsy is more traditional, but I'm sure there's some tradition where the 9th Wessex Peculiars wear their hats on their knees on St. Swithins Day or something.

Yarmulkes are woren, afaik, in order to remind you that there's always somebody above you (god, not your boss). :jewish:

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

crispix posted:

See me on Dragons' Den next series with my flashing LED auto-salute beret operated by clenching of the sphincter

I want to see the news reporting on kids jumping out at people from behind corners to make people's hats auto-doff in shock

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Why the gently caress is Annalise Dodds calling out the government on no deal brexit but not the thousands dying from covid ffs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-politics-52231341?__twitter_impression=true

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol the bbc live ticker thing is now saying people in cornwall are being encouraged to report each other.

They don’t need encouragement. all the cornish fb groups are full of people taking up torches and pitchforks against, like, some village baker for not closing even though he has no employees. And just god help you if you’re not local

In general cornish people have gently caress all to do and there are massive class/wealth divides so they are always on the verge of killing each other

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

remain brain starmer launching his new campaign premise.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jose posted:

Why the gently caress is Annalise Dodds calling out the government on no deal brexit but not the thousands dying from covid ffs

Maybe she thinks brexit comes under Shadow Chancellor but covid is for John Ashworth?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Isomermaid posted:

I want to see the news reporting on kids jumping out at people from behind corners to make people's hats auto-doff in shock

See those are the probing (lol) questions Bannatyne always used to ask that revealed the product's fatal flaw and always started with "wut huppins if kids...". It was pretty funny how contrived it became

Jose posted:

We need a shtratedjeh

Gives the impression they are pretending the last 4 months haven't happened imo

crispix fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 10, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/GMB_union/status/1248562096469676039

Company in "being poo poo" shocker.

Also one guy decided that he needed to defend them:

Pity Google's a thing, innt?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

baka kaba posted:

it's both!
we get the herd immunity from the government being all "do whatever it's coo" for weeks before half-arsing a lockdown
and we get the narcs because the government's encouraging everyone to blame each other for the results

Yeah we're getting the worst of both worlds here. The lovely non-lockdown is not strict enough to actually work or do anything, but it is just strict enough to make everyone unemployed and miserable

Pretty much the shittiest possible response, by this unbelievably poo poo government

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

980 deaths today. can't be long before we break 1000. maybe the bbc and the rest of the press will treat it seriously then but lol of course they won't

i go back to my stance that a high profile journalist needs to die from it before they start actually realising they might die and actually report on it properly

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Get a takeaway?

I don't want to make people have to come out and do things when as many of us as possible should be at home. I dunno, it just feels like it's unfair on folks.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Funny mashup of let airlines fail and the coffin bearers

https://twitter.com/chamath/status/1248637728809353221?s=20

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Good read from Buzzfeed on the government's testing plan and its limitations:

https://twitter.com/stuartmillar159/status/1248593147359367169?s=21

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

980 deaths today. can't be long before we break 1000. maybe the bbc and the rest of the press will treat it seriously then but lol of course they won't

i go back to my stance that a high profile journalist needs to die from it before they start actually realising they might die and actually report on it properly

They'll just report it that he was killed by people not being sufficiently locked down. They don't want to blame their good chums in Westminster, do they? Can't be them, they throw such lovely parties. And it can't be the fault of all those companies staying open and forcing their staff to come to work, some of them even took a pay cut from 300x what their workers are paid to a measly 299x, what else could they be expected to do? No, it must be "those people", with their extravagant lifestyles, leaving the house for purposes other than making NUMBER GO UP, that are the problem.

Countdown to the rollout of an app to let people grass up their neighbours for buying Easter eggs starts now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

I don't want to make people have to come out and do things when as many of us as possible should be at home. I dunno, it just feels like it's unfair on folks.

I mean it's not great that people are still working but absent government help they need to keep food on the table, don't cuddle your deliver driver and leave a tip. Maybe get chinese if you like it, can't imagine they're doing too well at the moment.

Also, I hope it sticks:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

she replied to that tweet if you click in. nothing interesting except she definitely read it lol

https://twitter.com/PerthshireMags/status/1248293651228381186?s=20

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
There's a loving Poppy Lottery now.

minema
May 31, 2011
Is Hancock trying to start a narrative that PPE isn't being used according to guidelines and that's the only reason there's shortages? Because I hate that.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Isomermaid posted:

A time-honoured way for other ranks to annoy officers they don't like is to set up a saluting trap; wait just out of sight for the officer to come along a long straight road or path that he can't turn off or around on without looking stupid, then send a large number of people out one by one at regular intervals going the other way, so the officer has to return each of their salutes.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Josef bugman posted:

I'm finding balancing that hard. Cos yeah it's hard not to think of the outside like a river with silt in it right now and everyone moving through that just churns it up and puts people at risk.

But at the same time small places are making GBS threads themselves about losing their businesses. The little brewery started doing that delivery to the neighbourhood and it's just the two guys. We ordered a box of beers from them and there was a little note, saying "thanks for ordering this it helps keep us going", same with the little pizza place, they're not a chain and it's like if noone orders their stuff right now they're out of a job.

I honestly don't know whats best to do

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

jaete posted:

Yeah we're getting the worst of both worlds here. The lovely non-lockdown is not strict enough to actually work or do anything, but it is just strict enough to make everyone unemployed and miserable

Pretty much the shittiest possible response, by this unbelievably poo poo government

or the best, if you assume they want to do the herd immunity thing, like they openly did before they realised it would be unpopular

this way they get it over with quicker without having to wait for a vaccine, and everyone's pointing fingers at everyone else, making it an individual problem instead of a systemic one

I bet channel 5's furiously producing shows about the poors not staying indoors right now!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1248369809097621504

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

And lo, there was a gnashing and a wailing of teeth... mine.

Anti-Corbyn post on FB. Someone has posted a series of photos of Corbyn as a tribute on his last day in office. They're taken over time (and reverse google shows that).
People sharing it claiming this is what Corbyn was doing in March (totally breaking separation by hugging people, having selfies with them and so on) so stop criticizing Johnson.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

minema posted:

Is Hancock trying to start a narrative that PPE isn't being used according to guidelines and that's the only reason there's shortages? Because I hate that.

There's a bit of that but don't worry, they've changed clinical guidance so medical staff can use the same bit of PPE between patients so don't worry now there will be enough!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

baka kaba posted:

I bet channel 5's furiously producing shows about the poors not staying indoors right now!

Hm. About that.... Waitrose - everyone waits 2m apart and one in one out. Once inside the store, people are doing the funny little 2m apart dance to try and stay the required distance apart.

Home Bargains - no one seems to care except right at the till.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Those PPE figures. They're counting each individual latex glove and cotton swab as 1 item of PPE equipment aren't they?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Haircut Boris looks like a typical non-descript US Politician.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

kecske posted:

took the babby out for the daily walk, loads of people sunbathing and drinking in the parks today with music and bbqs all going on.

apparently my local Tesco has a big end-of-aisle display of portable barbecues and cool boxes and ice packs and stuff

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

Those PPE figures. They're counting each individual latex glove and cotton swab as 1 item of PPE equipment aren't they?

they were certainly doing that for gloves.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Trin Tragula posted:

A time-honoured way for other ranks to annoy officers they don't like is to set up a saluting trap; wait just out of sight for the officer to come along a long straight road or path that he can't turn off or around on without looking stupid, then send a large number of people out one by one at regular intervals going the other way, so the officer has to return each of their salutes.

Spike Milligan was a fan, wrote about it in his book. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saluting_trap

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

crispix posted:

It's ultimately irrelevant though because as the number is never contrasted with need. 480 million pieces of PPE is not enough if daily needs are 600 million and there's no loving use in 20 gloves if you're out of visors. Once again a lovely press that doesn't know how or doesn't want to ask questions gets led by the nose.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Did you even read the pdf you've linked to? It says Holy Spirit Holes are stage design features to allow for the introduction of live doves, rose petals, etc. at dramatic points in service at Pentecost, nothing to do with a special God entrance. This kind of 'religious theatre' has probably been going on since the Palaeolithic - there are subtle marks on the walls of passages leading to large painted chambers in some of the cave art sites to indicate resonance points where any noise you make will be amplified in the chamber for example.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's a rather more prosaic and practical reason for that - the man stands at the kerb side so if any passing traffic sprays up horse poo poo it hits him, not her. Now that's possibly/probably just as apocryphal as the sword thing, but I reckon horse poo poo was a lot more common than having a sword fight in most places in the world.

Red Oktober posted:

That always felt much more likely to me - the right hand on the outside only works if you have the road on your right anyway - walking up with the road on your left puts your right hand in between.
Yeah, it's standing on the kerb side to block splashes of refuse/crap and also to be in the way if a horse bolts. There is a, possibly apocryphal, by-law in Edinburgh that requires policemen on the beat to walk in the gutter to keep themselves between traffic and pedestrians. I once got into a shouting match with a desk sergeant about whether this existed or not, he maintained it was a lie but was so incredibly defensive I have my doubts.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/MohsinSiddiqi6/status/1248604487335329792

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I don't watch whichever soap that's from, but the way that's phrased suggests that dot is too trusting/forgiving and therefore is constantly taken advantage of?

which is a very poo poo analogy for the tories relationship with banks for obvious reasons

unf due to not watching the soap I can't provide a better one

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Dead Goon posted:

Haircut Boris looks like a typical non-descript US Politician.

Made me think of this

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

XMNN posted:

I don't watch whichever soap that's from, but the way that's phrased suggests that dot is too trusting/forgiving and therefore is constantly taken advantage of?

which is a very poo poo analogy for the tories relationship with banks for obvious reasons

unf due to not watching the soap I can't provide a better one

Dot was maybe in on and profiting from her son's heinous crimes. Apparently she just suddenly upped and hosed off to Ireland forever so :shrug:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Isomermaid posted:

I'm finding balancing that hard. Cos yeah it's hard not to think of the outside like a river with silt in it right now and everyone moving through that just churns it up and puts people at risk.

But at the same time small places are making GBS threads themselves about losing their businesses. The little brewery started doing that delivery to the neighbourhood and it's just the two guys. We ordered a box of beers from them and there was a little note, saying "thanks for ordering this it helps keep us going", same with the little pizza place, they're not a chain and it's like if noone orders their stuff right now they're out of a job.

I honestly don't know whats best to do

here's the guidelines
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...can-and-cant-do

quote:

Stay at home
Only go outside for food, health reasons or work (but only if you cannot work from home)

You should only leave the house for very limited purposes:

shopping for basic necessities, for example food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible

so you are allowed to go out for food, and ordering a pizza is getting a hot meal. Deliveries are gonna happen, and they're important because not everyone will have access to decent food right now, for many reasons. So I wouldn't worry about getting a delivery, so long as you're careful about social distancing and cleanliness. As for going out for food, if you're as quick as possible and again with the social distancing/hygiene, that seems fine - delivery seems like it's better though, since it minimises the number of people going to a place

Honestly I think we need two things

- absolute clear guidelines on what is and isn't ok, so people aren't trapped inside because they're worried they're doing the wrong thing. This isn't helped by the police and local vigilantes giving people poo poo for doing stuff that's within the guidelines, or even encouraged. Hell, how about the police spend their time tackling that harrassment instead? Let people be as comfortable as possible, with the minimum disruption to their lives, and they're more likely to go along with it

- an actual system put into place to help people adapt and manage - financial support (including for small businesses), organised deliveries, providing food and medicine. Get everyone into safe shelter. Focus on protecting vulnerable people. Organise some resources to help people stay at home, entertainment or advice on cooking, or things for parents to do with kids. Subsidise everyone's broadband and create some national "stay at home" online project that everyone can join in - there are people doing similar stuff on social media, but the BBC could organise a national resource that reflects what people are going through, and makes them feel unity and connection and like we're all part of an effort and we'll get through it, just to help with people's mental wellbeing

ok three things

- the government has to at least act like it has things under control, show that there's a plan, and keep everyone up to date with progress on e.g. when the testing is going to start. If people have confidence that smart and serious people are in charge, they're more likely to do what they're told - there's an element of trust. And that comes from things like specific rules and guidelines too

:words:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

EmptyVessel posted:

Did you even read the pdf you've linked to? It says Holy Spirit Holes are stage design features to allow for the introduction of live doves, rose petals, etc. at dramatic points in service at Pentecost, nothing to do with a special God entrance. This kind of 'religious theatre' has probably been going on since the Palaeolithic - there are subtle marks on the walls of passages leading to large painted chambers in some of the cave art sites to indicate resonance points where any noise you make will be amplified in the chamber for example.

Yeah, it's standing on the kerb side to block splashes of refuse/crap and also to be in the way if a horse bolts. There is a, possibly apocryphal, by-law in Edinburgh that requires policemen on the beat to walk in the gutter to keep themselves between traffic and pedestrians. I once got into a shouting match with a desk sergeant about whether this existed or not, he maintained it was a lie but was so incredibly defensive I have my doubts.

Originally Metropolitan Police officers were required to patrol on the edge of the pavement so they were as visible as possible. That's also why they had the big tit-head helmet (originally an even taller top-hat) and a minimum height requirement of 5'8" when the average height in London was a couple of inches shorter.