Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I'm playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and I feel like I'm missing something. I'm in the first town where you can really explore and do side quests (Gormott) and I need to get the machine parts for Tora. Okay, cool. I can either buy them if I have the gold, which I'm not even CLOSE, or do quests to get them. Fine. Except the quests in this town are IMPOSSIBLE. I have to kill three level 10 gorilla things and I get absolutely bodied before I can even take out one of them. In another quest it ends with two enemies at level 10, same thing. I tried grinding on enemies in the area from 7-10 and even those I die to a lot of the time. Not to mention the level 17s or the 87 in the area that I keep aggroing while trying to grind. I have to be missing something really fundamental here. I know about timing your artes to charge up the special more and such and I bought the best Blade weapons the shop had. What the hell am I supposed to be doing? Am I supposed to not do any of this until I have another party member? I can't reliably kill things to grind for experience and money and I can't finish the quests to move the story along. Was "normal" difficulty a mistranslation and I'm actually on super extreme bullshit difficulty?

eta: oh poo poo page snipe. Uhhh. Animal Crossing is chill and great but has some weird and clunky design decisions that are NOT for everyone but you should realize pretty quickly if you're looking into the game at all before buying it. AC is not a fast, efficient experience.

Safari Disco Lion fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

In that case maybe try Gone Home and What Remains of Edith Finch.

Gone Home went over well. Haven't done the latter though.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Animal crossing is a long weekend that never ends. It's a state of mind.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Bloodroot is pretty badass.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I'm playing Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and I feel like I'm missing something. I'm in the first town where you can really explore and do side quests (Gormott) and I need to get the machine parts for Tora. Okay, cool. I can either buy them if I have the gold, which I'm not even CLOSE, or do quests to get them. Fine. Except the quests in this town are IMPOSSIBLE. I have to kill three level 10 gorilla things and I get absolutely bodied before I can even take out one of them. In another quest it ends with two enemies at level 10, same thing. I tried grinding on enemies in the area from 7-10 and even those I die to a lot of the time. Not to mention the level 17s or the 87 in the area that I keep aggroing while trying to grind. I have to be missing something really fundamental here. I know about timing your artes to charge up the special more and such and I bought the best Blade weapons the shop had. What the hell am I supposed to be doing? Am I supposed to not do any of this until I have another party member? I can't reliably kill things to grind for experience and money and I can't finish the quests to move the story along. Was "normal" difficulty a mistranslation and I'm actually on super extreme bullshit difficulty?

eta: oh poo poo page snipe. Uhhh. Animal Crossing is chill and great but has some weird and clunky design decisions that are NOT for everyone but you should realize pretty quickly if you're looking into the game at all before buying it. AC is not a fast, efficient experience.

Assuming you're on the first Artificial Blade Parts quest, you get the Bion Connectors via Salvaging. The one in town by the Chief's Residence works fine. Don't worry too much if combat feels a little off at the moment, XC's combat is built around a full three-Driver team.

Also a general XC tip; Don't panic at stupidly-high level critters around the world maps. 95% of the time they're completely passive unless you get right up in their face or actively attack them.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah I liked the FFT Advance games, and those were really really different in story and tone.

But I do wanna look at it a bit more - I don’t really just want a copy of FF Tactics that feels “cheap” if that makes sense? Lots of indie revivals of older series miss the mark

IMO, Fell Seal does feel a little cheap? Like, the animation for hitting dudes don't have too much punch, the portraits are weird... But it DOES do a fantastic job of putting the battle engines of FFT, FFTA, and FFTA2 in a shaker and blending them thoroughly. The story's good and well-written, too, although it has its own tone and the writer doesn't have the occasional fantastic turn of phrase that's in FFT (either translation, honestly) - but what does?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's not really Nintendo's fault for designing a game around something people could play for a little bit each night around a typical 9-5 work life rather than failing to foresee their entire playerbase being stuck at home for the forseeable future 24-7.
gently caress you I work unsocial hours yes it absolutely is a failling of the games design that I have to either change my system clock or never see daylight in the game.

I shoulda just lied and said I lived in the southern hemisphere but I can't change that now without completely restarting.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Assuming you're on the first Artificial Blade Parts quest, you get the Bion Connectors via Salvaging. The one in town by the Chief's Residence works fine. Don't worry too much if combat feels a little off at the moment, XC's combat is built around a full three-Driver team.

Also a general XC tip; Don't panic at stupidly-high level critters around the world maps. 95% of the time they're completely passive unless you get right up in their face or actively attack them.

I already got those, it's the other part I can't get because it's either expensive to buy from the shop, or from the end of a quest has the three gorilla things I can't even come close to killing.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

It's a social game, you don't want any thing to do with it anyway and that's clear. The fact that you keep complaining about the strong points of the game tells me you don't understand what the game is about or you never would have purchased it.

No one is telling you you should be playing, they are telling you what you hate is what they love.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I already got those, it's the other part I can't get because it's either expensive to buy from the shop, or from the end of a quest has the three gorilla things I can't even come close to killing.

If you already have the very-good DLC which adds a well crafted and spoilery prequel adventures as well as several great and guaranteed blades and quests to the main game, I think you can always just basically cheese the fight if you change the settings so enemies do virtually no damage.

The penalty to dying is pretty low though, so go rough up some named enemies for practice and experience; pop some items for passive bonuses.

In this game you're more in danger of being over-level (NG+ lets you trade away levels for items though) so don't grind too much but if you need a boost, visit the inn by the fountain plaza and use your banked bonus EXP to kick yourself up a few notches if you need it to get past this part.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

You really should wait on side quests until you've progressed in the story for a bit unless you like a challenge: Xenoblade 2's combat (and thus its numbers and what you expect the level of an enemy to mean) is based around you have three characters (with the likelihood, but not requirement once you get more experienced, of a classic tank/healer/dps trinity).

To progress with the story, you have two quests: one is to get three Bion Connectors, which you can buy or obtain through salvaging (I suggest the latter). The other is to beat up a singular level 9 enemy a little ways away. Everything else is optional right now and should be avoided until you've got a full party again. If you're thinking any other quests you've picked up are mandatory, they're not. Just Artificial Blade Parts 1 and 2. You're not required to fight more than that one quest enemy with a solo Rex, and as you've seen attempting to do so is a bad idea.

Once you've done those, then you'll be on a pretty obvious trajectory towards proceeding with the story and getting Nia back, where you'll finally have a real three person party. Then you can sidequest to your heart's content.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Mr Phillby posted:

gently caress you I work unsocial hours yes it absolutely is a failling of the games design that I have to either change my system clock or never see daylight in the game.

I shoulda just lied and said I lived in the southern hemisphere but I can't change that now without completely restarting.

southern hemisphere just flips seasons. anyway take a step back and quit flipping out about animal crossing

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Rosalie_A posted:

You really should wait on side quests until you've progressed in the story for a bit unless you like a challenge: Xenoblade 2's combat (and thus its numbers and what you expect the level of an enemy to mean) is based around you have three characters (with the likelihood, but not requirement once you get more experienced, of a classic tank/healer/dps trinity).

To progress with the story, you have two quests: one is to get three Bion Connectors, which you can buy or obtain through salvaging (I suggest the latter). The other is to beat up a singular level 9 enemy a little ways away. Everything else is optional right now and should be avoided until you've got a full party again. If you're thinking any other quests you've picked up are mandatory, they're not. Just Artificial Blade Parts 1 and 2. You're not required to fight more than that one quest enemy with a solo Rex, and as you've seen attempting to do so is a bad idea.

Once you've done those, then you'll be on a pretty obvious trajectory towards proceeding with the story and getting Nia back, where you'll finally have a real three person party. Then you can sidequest to your heart's content.

Oh motherfucker. Yup, I was looking at the wrong quest. The rabbit dude's sex toy robot has been completed, now I can move on.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Tender Bender posted:

Working from home under quarantine, my girlfriend and I have been playing Animal Crossing and loving it. She never plays games, ever, but has gotten hooked, especially through fishing and decorating, and wants to try playing some other games. Does anyone have any suggestions for "gateway games" from an animal crossing foundation? We've also been playing Baba is You, which is a great nongamer's game since it requires no motor skills and the puzzles are mostly Real logic, not gamer logic.

Snipperclips, towerfall, niddhogg2, lovers in a dangerous spacetime, super chariot, and guacamelee for when they get a bit more comfortable.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/polygon/status/1248666295878520834?s=21

LMAO

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

John Lee posted:

IMO, Fell Seal does feel a little cheap? Like, the animation for hitting dudes don't have too much punch, the portraits are weird... But it DOES do a fantastic job of putting the battle engines of FFT, FFTA, and FFTA2 in a shaker and blending them thoroughly. The story's good and well-written, too, although it has its own tone and the writer doesn't have the occasional fantastic turn of phrase that's in FFT (either translation, honestly) - but what does?

If my favorite part of FFT and Disgaea-style tactics games is the class system and building up unique characters, would that carry me through Fell Seal?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Oh motherfucker. Yup, I was looking at the wrong quest. The rabbit dude's sex toy robot has been completed, now I can move on.

Oh, buddy, that's just the alpha

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

If my favorite part of FFT and Disgaea-style tactics games is the class system and building up unique characters, would that carry me through Fell Seal?

The class system is pretty much a carbon copy of the FFT system

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lol

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Revolution of our times

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

People’s republic of China is such a coward bitch it’s insane

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

lol that Animal Crossing is able to get some of the most vitriol out of the the gaming public

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

lol that Animal Crossing is able to get some of the most vitriol out of the the gaming public

Trump's narcissism and insecurity has got nothing on Xi Jinping.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Trump is actively letting people die right now because the governors aren’t groveling enough so eh

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
ANIMAL REVOLUTION

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mega64 posted:

ANIMAL REVOLUTION

Double secret probation time Animal House! :argh:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Unravel 2, on sale for $5 or something, is super good to co-op with your kid

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

xi jinping liberate USA

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

I think this is my favorite thing, hauling a loaded truck and trailer with another loaded truck up a drat mud hill.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Chronojam posted:

Oh, buddy, that's just the alpha

Alpha by name, Alpha by nature!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

AOCs Pink Pearl posted:

I think this is my favorite thing, hauling a loaded truck and trailer with another loaded truck up a drat mud hill.

I'm really liking the game a lot. its slow, methodical pace makes every move count, and you can and will strand yourself within arms reach of the missions end goal.

much like in the real world, nature dont give a gently caress in this game

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Takoluka posted:

This might help you.

Note that while this will work and allow you both to play the same game at the same time without needing to buy it a second time, one important caveat is that if you want to visit each other's island, you both need Nintendo Switch Online because for whatever reason local play using multiples of the same game license will never see each other.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

oddium posted:

southern hemisphere just flips seasons. anyway take a step back and quit flipping out about animal crossing
I'm not flipping out I'm just frustrated that this neat game that emphazises how inclusive it is designed to replicate real life to the degree that my work schedule means I can't enjoy virtual sunshine without changing the clock on system wide level.

The gently caress you was for the dude assuming I'm mad because I'm trying to power game when in reality I just want to play for 30 mins after I finish work but that's in the middle of the night for me.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
There's 16 hours of the day in which you can enjoy sunshine. If you can't play during at least one of those 16 hours then maybe you shouldn't be worrying about video games so much.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

American McGay posted:

There's 16 hours of the day in which you can enjoy sunshine. If you can't play during at least one of those 16 hours then maybe you shouldn't be worrying about video games so much.
Yes I should definitely rearange my entire life and routine to only play Animal Crossing at the recomended hours of the day, thank you for you input.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Mr Phillby posted:

The gently caress you was for the dude assuming I'm mad because I'm trying to power game when in reality I just want to play for 30 mins after I finish work but that's in the middle of the night for me.

idk man you're getting upset and spending so much time posting when you could be crossing animals

or optimize your time better and play while you poop. for most goons tahts gotta be at least 2 hours a day

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Mr Phillby posted:

Yes I should definitely rearange my entire life and routine to only play Animal Crossing at the recomended hours of the day, thank you for you input.
The entire point of the game is the real world clock, and the game itself in no way punishes you if you change your system clock to better fit your schedule. I'm not even sure what you're complaining about honestly.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i'm sorry someone made you buy the video game

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Just dug out my Wii and copy of thousand year door. Do I need the motion bar thing to go through the menu and open the GameCube emulator?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

if you don't have the bar you need either a classic controller plugged into a wiimote which will let you navigate with sticks or you need two tealights to mimic the bar and throw off ir light