Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

moreso. yahoo already did it to themself with the weather app

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
the Yahoo weather app is fine except it now shows me a running tally of the virus' toll alongside pretty internet images of my city

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
there does not seem to be a way to disable it

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

oh, so it does! i was thinking of how yahoo used to be the conduit for weather data for ios but by various yahoo machinations apple went directly to the same source, the weather channel

theres more to it than I realized and my memory of yahoo playing its hand too aggressively is a bit askew but thats not totally different from the common narrative for that era for them https://www.vox.com/2014/6/20/11628186/as-weather-channel-blows-yahoo-off-apples-upcoming-ios-8-app-storms

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

my dark sky ios app is good but the web site is better so im sad that will be going away

that said lol

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the comments sections for any article about dark sky are just overflowing with android users furious about how a weather app is going away

lots of technolibertarians who were ok with massive labor exploitation across all of technology suddenly becoming crusading trustbusters over a weather app they paid $3 for

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FMguru posted:

the comments sections for any article about dark sky are just overflowing with android users furious about how a weather app is going away

lots of technolibertarians who were ok with massive labor exploitation across all of technology suddenly becoming crusading trustbusters over a weather app they paid $3 for

basic version was free for a long time.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

FMguru posted:

do you know what forum your posting in?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

~Coxy posted:

they're not going to can dark sky for anroid because they need all that sweet hyperlocal barometer data

iphones have had barometers in them for years now

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

do they actually use the phone barometer for weather predictions? because lol

i can change my phone's pressure reading by squeezing it and decreasing its internal volume

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I saw a demo once that used the barometer to know if you’ve taken the stairs to a different floor.

no idea what it’s really used for.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Knowing the altitude helps you get a faster/better GPS reading

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

The Management posted:

I saw a demo once that used the barometer to know if you’ve taken the stairs to a different floor.

no idea what it’s really used for.

isn’t it pretty much “counting flights climbed in the health app” and “figuring out which floor of the mall you’re on in maps”?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it was a demo by Bosch, who was trying to sell barometers to Apple. lol, the sales rep gave me garbage watch (with a built-in Bosch barometer) after that presentation. I had to ask my boss if I could accept this gift, which he authorized, and then I tossed it in the trash.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

there does not seem to be a way to disable it

it's 2020

worship of the spectacle is more necessary than ever

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

i assume apple buying dark sky isn't for the benefit of phone users but is instead so mastermind logistics man timmy cook can proclaim that they brought a way to predict logistics bullshit in-house and etc so thats why they need a bigger bonus

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
it's definitely cool and good that the country's leading designer of cellphones is worth close to $1T while america's bridges are rusting away and millions of people are unable to feed themselves

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

it's definitely cool and good that the country's leading designer of cellphones is worth close to $1T while america's bridges are rusting away and millions of people are unable to feed themselves

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52088327 is the kind of news we need in these dark times

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
https://blog.google/products/stadia/try-stadia-free-today

this is definitely to help those in lockdown and not because no one uses it or even know it exists still

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/04/moto-razr-review-rip-to-our-moto-razr-march-30-2020-march-31-2020/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

rock me amadeo

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

that’s good they took a photo of it next to the type of mouse the people who pay $1,500 for loving android phones are into

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

crepeface posted:

this is definitely to help those in lockdown and not because no one uses it or even know it exists still

3/4 of earth stuck indoors, video game, board game and jigsaw puzzle sales through the roof and still nobody wants it, that can't feel good

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
when the touchscreen stops working after one day, you delete anything you previously wrote in the review and simply write “garbage”. that’s it, that’s the review.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

FATHER WHY

WHY DID YOU DESIGN ME TO FEEL PAIN

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

qirex posted:

3/4 of earth stuck indoors, video game, board game and jigsaw puzzle sales through the roof and still nobody wants it, that can't feel good

i'd give it a try if i didn't need to buy another controller and some special chromecast

as is though, lol

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

The_Franz posted:

i'd give it a try if i didn't need to buy another controller and some special chromecast

as is though, lol

you don't need to buy those anymore, nor you did before if you had a buddy pass. not to say the service isn't bad, but you can go and try it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Celexi posted:

you don't need to buy those anymore, nor you did before if you had a buddy pass. not to say the service isn't bad, but you can go and try it

if the controller and the gadget were optional, why on earth did they make them mandatory

"you know what the problem with subscription services is? they never have high enough up-front costs; consumers love barriers to entry"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

"you know what the problem with subscription services is? they never have high enough up-front costs; consumers love barriers to entry"
google is powerfully bad at selling things to consumers, yes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they also suck at selling things for business. not to business, just the things they sell and how they sell them are loving awful

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's chunky AF and it sucks rear end. surprisingly, not a biography of you, the person reading this post.

two screens continue to be worse than one, except for a very specific niche of gadget fetishist and even they'll admit they're terrible. for some reason we're still doing dual screen phones.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

infernal machines posted:

it's chunky AF and it sucks rear end. surprisingly, not a biography of you, the person reading this post.

two screens continue to be worse than one, except for a very specific niche of gadget fetishist and even they'll admit they're terrible. for some reason we're still doing dual screen phones.

this review pretty convincingly puts it miles above the ipad lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

"multitasking doesn't suck" would certainly put it ahead of ios, but otoh this is someone writing positively about an android dual screen phone, and even then they mention "a certain amount of glitchiness is expected", because expecting android not to gently caress up things like "rendering to the screen" or "crashing because it ran out of ram" is just absurd.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

crepeface posted:

lol this only gives you access to 9 games, all of which are either free to play, games that have been out for a while or lovely indie games:

Destiny 2: The Collection
GRID
Gylt
SteamWorld Dig 2
SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech
Serious Sam Collection
Spitlings
Stacks on Stacks (on Stacks)
Thumper

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

chestnut santabag posted:

lol this only gives you access to 9 games, all of which are either free to play, games that have been out for a while or lovely indie games:

Destiny 2: The Collection
GRID
Gylt
SteamWorld Dig 2
SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech
Serious Sam Collection
Spitlings
Stacks on Stacks (on Stacks)
Thumper
the Destiny 2 version on stadia includes the expansion packs (which aren't free), but it's also not a great version of the game due to weird texture quality issues and a very low player count (which, given this is primarily a multiplayer game...)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I only even recognize two of those names

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I recognize serious Sam because it was featured in a review on oldmanmurray that’s how out of touch with video games I am. has daikatana been released yet?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

a game where you win by talking to everyone's manager, called Serious Pam

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Management posted:

I recognize serious Sam because it was featured in a review on oldmanmurray that’s how out of touch with video games I am. has daikatana been released yet?

i recognize it because i played it when it came out. almost 20 years ago

stadia might still be better than apple arcade since at least some of the games don't look like the same clone of a unity tech demo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i think a goon worked on the steamworld games.