Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Originally Metropolitan Police officers were required to patrol on the edge of the pavement so they were as visible as possible. That's also why they had the big tit-head helmet (originally an even taller top-hat) and a minimum height requirement of 5'8" when the average height in London was a couple of inches shorter.

If that rule (keeping to the edge of the pavement) has never actually been removed it's the kind of thing polis need to be reminded of at every opportunity imo.

e: 118 twice was/is a directory inquiry service iirc

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

EmptyVessel posted:

Did you even read the pdf you've linked to? It says Holy Spirit Holes are stage design features to allow for the introduction of live doves, rose petals, etc. at dramatic points in service at Pentecost, nothing to do with a special God entrance. This kind of 'religious theatre' has probably been going on since the Palaeolithic - there are subtle marks on the walls of passages leading to large painted chambers in some of the cave art sites to indicate resonance points where any noise you make will be amplified in the chamber for example.
And they were described to the flock as a hole for which the Holy Spirit enters and leaves the building, rather than the bird hole.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Do they still wear the big booby hats in London or did several centuries of kids taking the piss just become too much?

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

And they were described to the flock as a hole for which the Holy Spirit enters and leaves the building, rather than the bird hole.

You're making the line "These special openings to the sky in medieval churches had a name; they were called “Holy Spirit holes.”" do a lot of lifting there. I'd be interested in knowing where Pastor Hubert is getting his info from - so far I'm only finding references to Holy Spirit Holes on American religious sites talking about Pentecost so a little sceptical.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

EmptyVessel posted:

You're making the line "These special openings to the sky in medieval churches had a name; they were called “Holy Spirit holes.”" do a lot of lifting there. I'd be interested in knowing where Pastor Hubert is getting his info from - so far I'm only finding references to Holy Spirit Holes on American religious sites talking about Pentecost so a little sceptical.

Good that you're making productive use of your time online, op :thumbsup:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How do they get the pigeons back out of the church afterwards? Or do they just wait for them to die?

What if they start nesting in the organ?

I guess you could solve that by just playing scales but firing half dead pigeons out of the organ pipes doesn't seem very holy.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

EmptyVessel posted:

If that rule (keeping to the edge of the pavement) has never actually been removed it's the kind of thing polis need to be reminded of at every opportunity imo.

e: 118 twice was/is a directory inquiry service iirc

Nah it only lasted a few years, along with a load of other weird rules about what they could and couldn't do on patrol - they had to patrol at slow-march speed (which is surprisingly hard to do and is supposedly the origin of the word "beat" for the patrol) and they weren't supposed to break stride at all unless they were stopping a crime.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

Do they still wear the big booby hats in London or did several centuries of kids taking the piss just become too much?

It's still part of the official uniform but they're optional now - you still see them around tourist areas and man it looks even weirder with the modern paramilitary beadle uniform (that's beadle as in officious Dickens character, not bearded prankster. I swear those new stab/utility vests are a big part of where trust in the old bill has gone, not because of the creeping militarisation, but because there's something about ramming your thumbs into a vest that turns you into a jobsworth).

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

crispix posted:

Good that you're making productive use of your time online, op :thumbsup:

Thanks. This is actually relevant to my archaeological/anthropological interests, or as it seems maybe not. Still worth checking.
What would you suggest as more productive right now?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

EmptyVessel posted:

From noted American Protestant publication Mary and Mariology - Oxford Divinity

They were called Holy Ghost holes here :ghost: but the point is the same, they symbolized the point where the Holy Ghost entered and left the church, because it's the one ghost that can't walk through walls. Or hats.

Interestingly makes no mention of live doves there, so it was more likely a focal feature than a theatrical thing, and centuries of story telling have added that.

OwlFancier posted:

How do they get the pigeons back out of the church afterwards? Or do they just wait for them to die?

What if they start nesting in the organ?

I guess you could solve that by just playing scales but firing half dead pigeons out of the organ pipes doesn't seem very holy.
It would be extremely theatrical though.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

My mum asked me to help fix her "Facebook" because some how she'd shrunk it down. When I restored it there was a video that someone had taken of a mother and son in a doctors waiting room. The son wasn't happy and was lashing out at the mother sometimes violently. I don't know if the boy had behavioral problems but it seemed rather nasty to record the incidents and then post them to Facebook. Of course in the comments there were people lining up to say the kid needed a firm attitude adjustment and if they had done that when they were his age their mother would have stomped their face to unrecognisable pulp to the applause of all.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Guavanaut posted:

I'm surprised that there haven't been a bunch of hipsters claiming the tube TVs somehow capture the visual effect better.

CRTs do have better representation of the visual effects, to the point where some designs from the pre-CRT era just don't work in modern times (most notably Duck Hunt).

CRTs don't have actual physical pixels which means that when you're amorphously reshaping the signal LCDs just can't deal with it and the best you can do is image filtering on a massively higher resolution and a fair chunk of computing power. Of course, the computing power requirement isn't especially large for modern computers so if you're emulating the original hardware everything is fine.

But no, LCDs have unavoidable latency, don't work quite right with retro consoles, and look different due to no curving or scanlines. As a result, retro game nerds have had CRTs... from the time CRTs were common.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Please share what The Footnote Of The Beast has to say about the tongues of fire.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I use CRTs for my windows 98 pc which still sees regular use for retro gaming and coding. It looks awesome tbh.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Guavanaut posted:

Interestingly makes no mention of live doves there, so it was more likely a focal feature than a theatrical thing, and centuries of story telling have added that.

the dove from above is pretty theatrical

endlessmonotony posted:

But no, LCDs have unavoidable latency, don't work quite right with retro consoles, and look different due to no curving or scanlines. As a result, retro game nerds have had CRTs... from the time CRTs were common.

I've seen people start claiming that decent CRTs are better for modern games too, that things like Control look really good at low res (where you can really crank up the effects) because it smooths and blends between the pixels and gives a more natural image, and the responsiveness is meant to feel a lot better as well

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this guy calling out the government should be leader of the opposition imo

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1248640423221919750?s=20

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

From noted American Protestant publication Mary and Mariology - Oxford Divinity

They were called Holy Ghost holes here :ghost: but the point is the same, they symbolized the point where the Holy Ghost entered and left the church, because it's the one ghost that can't walk through walls. Or hats.

It would be extremely theatrical though.

"A small circular opening in the roof that symbolized (sic) the entrance of Holy Spirit into the midst of the assembled worshippers." This reads to me that the hole is a symbolic visible representation of something otherwise invisible, not that it was the literal only way into the structure for spirit. Ymmv.
Source/Author for that? All "Mary and Mariology - Oxford Divinity" is finding me is https://www.oxfordhandbooks.com/view/10.1093/oxfordhb/9780199935420.001.0001/oxfordhb-9780199935420-e-62 which does not include that quote.

OwlFancier posted:

Please share what The Footnote Of The Beast has to say about the tongues of fire.
Pfft. Behind the times baby, 616 is number of the beast these days.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jose posted:

backbench traitor jeremy corbyn is at it again!!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

endlessmonotony posted:

CRTs do have better representation of the visual effects, to the point where some designs from the pre-CRT era just don't work in modern times (most notably Duck Hunt).0
Duck Hunt (and all NES gun games) should work, it uses an incredibly basic shot detection mechanism where the screen goes black and the ducks go white for a few frames. Maybe the contrast on an LCD wouldn't be enough, but a plasma should definitely work.

It's the later generation SNES and Mega Drive light gun games that relied on scanlines that won't work.

OwlFancier posted:

It's just a citation for an Episcopal Church publication about the history of Pentecost and the English Whitsun, no hidden demon tongues.

baka kaba posted:

the dove from above is pretty theatrical
:lmao: that's exactly what it is. I wonder if they wrote quiz categories on the two dimensional wooden dove they lowered from the :ghost: hole.

baka kaba posted:

I've seen people start claiming that decent CRTs are better for modern games too, that things like Control look really good at low res (where you can really crank up the effects) because it smooths and blends between the pixels and gives a more natural image, and the responsiveness is meant to feel a lot better as well
Worse than hipsters then, gamers.

EmptyVessel posted:

"A small circular opening in the roof that symbolized (sic) the entrance of Holy Spirit into the midst of the assembled worshippers." This reads to me that the hole is a symbolic visible representation of something otherwise invisible, not that it was the literal only way into the structure for spirit. Ymmv.
I mean yes, it's all symbology.

Unless the CofE really does worship an orange.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Guavanaut posted:

Has anyone else noticed how much the God Orange resembles a coronavirus (but with a candle in the top)?
There must be some spiritual guidance on defeating the virus that we can take from this.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Guavanaut posted:

Duck Hunt (and all NES gun games) should work, it uses an incredibly basic shot detection mechanism where the screen goes black and the ducks go white for a few frames. Maybe the contrast on an LCD wouldn't be enough, but a plasma should definitely work.

Yeah no you're wrong on a lot of counts here and it's clear you haven't tried it and don't care.

The whole explanation is... a wall of text you can fairly easily look up online if you care though.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

There are multiple of these posts on the local FB group every day. The person who posted it literally called the police on this dude :wtf:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

EmptyVessel posted:

Thanks. This is actually relevant to my archaeological/anthropological interests, or as it seems maybe not. Still worth checking.
What would you suggest as more productive right now?

Sorry, that's great that you have a passion in life, it's just that spirit holes in churches seemed humorously niche even by the thread's usual standard. I really can't talk having spent a significant part of my day looking at nude men online

bessantj posted:

My mum asked me to help fix her "Facebook" because some how she'd shrunk it down. When I restored it there was a video that someone had taken of a mother and son in a doctors waiting room. The son wasn't happy and was lashing out at the mother sometimes violently. I don't know if the boy had behavioral problems but it seemed rather nasty to record the incidents and then post them to Facebook. Of course in the comments there were people lining up to say the kid needed a firm attitude adjustment and if they had done that when they were his age their mother would have stomped their face to unrecognisable pulp to the applause of all.

I've never been on Facebook and I left Twitter about 5 years ago. Facebook in particular is an echo chamber for complete morons. I saw the clearest microcosm of it recently. A nurse at work a couple of months ago was talking about how some pupils at her daughter's school posted (?) a video on the tiktok website there immitating people with learning disabilities. The kids were in their school uniforms and were 15 odd so really should have known better. They were punished by the school and the headmaster gave a talk about the whole thing and in my day (:bahgawd:) that would have been the end of such a thing. But it was just the beginning in this case. A local social media group (North Down Mums [lol]) got hold of it and people with gently caress all to do with their days amplified it - sending it to every known local and national media outlet (Stephen Nolan in particular seems to be the go-to man for manufacturing outrage), linking copies of the video on facebook and twitter and demanding further outrage because of how it had impacted them. There were people in Germany and the USA passing on the video and condemning the kids in it. There were people physically threatening the evildoers and others saying they would make sure they never got jobs anywhere. The school was getting hate mail and had to get advice from the police. This was still going on when I left work this time last month :psyduck:

Jose posted:

But what's his Brexit strategy?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Has anyone else noticed how much the God Orange resembles a coronavirus (but with a candle in the top)?
There must be some spiritual guidance on defeating the virus that we can take from this.

Alternatively the queen as head of the church of england is using her lizard powers to kill us all with 5g :davidickesay:

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Bardeh posted:

There are multiple of these posts on the local FB group every day. The person who posted it literally called the police on this dude :wtf:

The air is lava.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

I mean yes, it's all symbology.

Define "worship" :v:
Source/Author for Mary and Mariology - Oxford Divinity?

crispix posted:

Sorry, that's great that you have a passion in life, it's just that spirit holes in churches seemed humorously niche even by the thread's usual standard. I really can't talk having spent a significant part of my day looking at nude men online
As long as you don't branch out into "nude men seen through holes in church" you're probably fine.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yer man is clearly staying like 100ft away from everyone else, and I don't think the coronavirus spreads by viewing pasty white brit flesh like an SCP.

E: and if it does then crispix please report when the symptoms start.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

endlessmonotony posted:

Yeah no you're wrong on a lot of counts here and it's clear you haven't tried it and don't care.

The whole explanation is... a wall of text you can fairly easily look up online if you care though.
It's a timing issue that can be patched out, the NES (and Master System) light guns didn't care about scanlines.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plyezWkvZx8

I don't know where you'd start with SNES/MD light guns, because they were tied to a scanning spot.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

endlessmonotony posted:

CRTs don't have actual physical pixels

TVs and monitors certainly did:

Oscilloscopes and vector displays (like the Vectrex and the original Asteroids) didn't, admittedly.

I think what you mean is that early consoles and micros lacked the ability to actually handle images at common TV resolutions (a single monochrome PAL frame would be about 55k, in an era when entire games were expected to fit into considerably less space than that) so all sorts of clever workarounds existed to use the physical characteristics of the CRT itself to hide the fact that you're actually only capable of putting out a 300x200 image at 15fps, meaning they look like utter dogshit on modern panels. I think there was even a game that did colour interlacing - putting out the red, green and blue channels in consecutive frames and relying on the phsophors staying glowing long enough to give a full colour image - but I can't seem to find a cite for that now.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Guavanaut posted:

It's a timing issue that can be patched out, the NES (and Master System) light guns didn't care about scanlines.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plyezWkvZx8

I don't know where you'd start with SNES/MD light guns, because they were tied to a scanning spot.

He's using both a patched ROM and third party hardware.

Duck Hunt will not work on LCDs because it's looking for a very specific pattern of light LCDs cannot recreate. If you patch the ROM to look for something else to define a hit, then it... will do just that, but at that point you've altered things enough you might as well emulate.

Also the screen goes black for one frame, then it lights up white for each of the ducks in turn for one frame. The distinction is important, because what the game's looking for is the switch from black to white in a time frame LCDs just can't do.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I don't know if you have seen this, but words fail me?

https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/getwellboris

quote:

No matter where you stand left-wing or right-wing , you can only agree that Boris has led the United Kingdom through COVID-19 with sheer determination and passion for his country and the people within. Boris has worked relentlessly and if we look at what our UK Prime Minister is paid compared to that of a professional footballer It is minuscule especially for doing the job that he does and having the burden of responsibility that he does.

This evening 6/4/2020 it was announced that our Prime Minister Boris Johnson has been moved into intensive care care, this is deeply worrying.

As a country we need to stand united and I am sure that I speak for many people in saying “I truly believed 2020 was going to be a prosperous year and a year to remember” little did we know that 2020 would be a year for the history books but for all the wrong reasons.

I want to do something along with those people in the UK that has never been done before , I want to raise £1000 and purchase a gift to not only say “Get Well Soon Boris” but also to show our appreciation as a nation and to say “Thank You” A thank you for the tireless work that he as our prime minister has put in over the past four weeks taking this country through COVID-19 and clearly work that has compromised his own health/life/safetywork.

I’m looking to raise £1000 to cover the cost of purchasing a pair of PURDEY Sterling Silver Duelling Cufflinks from Harrods, These cufflinks cost £645 and then the additional funds will be used to get a professional engraving put onto each cufflinks, Any additional money raised over the cost of getting these cufflinks purchased will be sent to MIND (Registered Charity 219830) - a charity close to my heart offering support for people who have experienced sexual abuse.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Oscilloscopes and vector displays (like the Vectrex and the original Asteroids) didn't, admittedly.

I think what you mean is that early consoles and micros lacked the ability to actually handle images at common TV resolutions (a single monochrome PAL frame would be about 55k, in an era when entire games were expected to fit into considerably less space than that) so all sorts of clever workarounds existed to use the physical characteristics of the CRT itself to hide the fact that you're actually only capable of putting out a 300x200 image at 15fps, meaning they look like utter dogshit on modern panels. I think there was even a game that did colour interlacing - putting out the red, green and blue channels in consecutive frames and relying on the phsophors staying glowing long enough to give a full colour image - but I can't seem to find a cite for that now.

We're both technically incorrect.

There is a reason Trinitrons are the desired collector's items for this purpose though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The 'are phosphor dots pixels' argument is the graphics equivalent of the the orangutan argument for English Lit and I'll have no part in it.

They are elements of a picture, but if you want too many words on the dissenting opinion there's this.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Bardeh posted:

like I can understand the argument that people using parks or whatever in a way that they couldn't if everyone else was doing the same is selfish, because everyone else is abstaining and you're taking advantage of that, but that just looks like a random bit of verge to me?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Sad King Billy posted:

Sorry but that has to be someone taking the piss. The last sentence is just too much

No, it has to be :mad:

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!

crispix posted:

Sorry but that has to be someone taking the piss. The last sentence is just too much

No, it has to be :mad:

Best case scenario, he takes the money and runs.
£828 raised already

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Either way I'm calling for a truce here, this is MAD with boring nerd bullshit and we can only go into the stupid details of how you accurately recreate old game experiences with period-appropriate hardware for so long until this thread gets moved to the appropriate Games subforum.

The actual point was to demonstrate how you should never say the words "I'm surprised that there haven't been a bunch of hipsters claiming" because what's about to follow is something that is going to get proven wrong, and baka kaba's example is a lot better than mine.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

endlessmonotony posted:

We're both technically incorrect.

THE BEST KIND OF INCORRECT.

endlessmonotony posted:

There is a reason Trinitrons are the desired collector's items for this purpose though.

Masochism. [ASK] me about getting a 21" Trinitron home on the back of this bike:

then manhandling it into a desk I'd built with only a centimetre of clearance all the way round it. I swear most of my back problems date to that one purchase.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My mum had one of the gigantic home cinema CRTs and donated it to me when she got her first flatscreen. I have no idea how you're supposed to move them without a forklift, we could barely shift it with three people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Sad King Billy posted:

Is it too much to ask that the person or persons behind this immediately buggers off with the money, and/or develops a series of elaborate Star Citizen-level reasons why they still need more money? "Boris' cufflinks are just about ready but they just need another £5000 to correct an engraving error, please donate."

I ask because I know we live in the bad timeframe where people (many of whom are likely out of work) will gladly throw money away to give trinkets to an already wealthy politician. :sigh: