Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Chomp8645 posted:

This doesn't make any sense and you're probably saying based on nothing.

I think it's more the same people that complain about paying for all the different streaming services out there when anyone with simple budgeting skills knows to go over the credit card statement and just unsubscribe from ones they don't use.

But, then again, these are the same people that buy TF2 hats and poo poo. The Valve cult fanbase is kinda frightening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I think a lot of pc nerds switched to consoles after they realised it's cheaper and more powerful to buy a purpose built machine sold at a loss. Also they wanted a laptop.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Nolgthorn posted:

I'm basing it on long drawn out conversations I've had with people that say "if such and such or such and such is epic xclusive I won't buy it" followed with me asking about why that mattered because epic games is free to use and playstation isn't but there are lots of playstation exclusives. That is when they almost universally defend playstation.

You can find people that get annoyed when something isn't playstation exclusive and with very little effort it is even possible to get them to suggest the same thing.

These are platform fanboys.

The last year or so has also made it clear that setting up console-to-console or console-to-PC cross-play is very easy but it's been Sony and Microsoft generally standing in the way for market reasons.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

there are a bunch of games that i love that i cannot imagine playing on a console and a bunch of games that i love that i cannot imagine playing on a pc, even with a gamepad and i think it's really weird and dumb that people jerk themselves raw over their video game playing computer machine being branded or sold differently

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
The PC versus Console war is so old that one can't really remember what the point was if there ever was one.

My father hated console assholes and therefore so do I.

My father died trying to jump over a ravine. The controls hosed him.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i bought a ps4 specifically to play bloodborne i dont know if that makes me a platform fanboy but it was worth it

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Earwicker posted:

i bought a ps4 specifically to play bloodborne i dont know if that makes me a platform fanboy but it was worth it

as long as you don't tie part of your identity to your box that plays video games you're good to go.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I have a PS4 and a gaming laptop/a gaming desktop and I never really use the PS4 anymore because I’m spoiled by the load times I get with the SSD’s in my computer. It kind of sucks, there’s a few PS4 games I want to play (still have to finish Judgment, I want to go back and NG+Yakuza 6, and holy hell do I want the FF7 remake) but the load times are just too much. Maybe now that I’m stuck at home and not working 60-70 hour weeks I won’t feel like I’m wasting limited leisure time with loading.

I’ve always been primarily a PC gamer except between mid-2017 to mid-2019 when I didn’t really have a computer, but even then I’ve basically always had a console to go with it. There’s usually at least one every gen with really strong exclusives.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Earwicker posted:

Why didn't you buy an Xbox you scrub?

All I know is load times.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i have no beef with epic, aside from that when i made my original account many years ago for the PC port of shadow complex, thanks to fortnite i kept getting "someone has tried and failed to log into your account" emails from them multiple times a day because jackasses were/are trying to scrape for idiots who register their cc info so they can buy more ~~~loot boxes~~~ or whatever

what DOES bother me is individual devs, who almost invariably go into smug rear end in a top hat mode and start throwing preorders/old backers under the bus the second they sign exclusivity with epic. but that's hardly the platform's fault, it's just how having money brings down the curtain and reveals the kind of person they really are

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Nolgthorn posted:

Why didn't you buy an Xbox you scrub?

All I know is load times.

i did, i already had one. i bought a ps4 in addition to the xbox so that i could play bloodborne, which is a ps4 exclusive and also a very good video game

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
PCs are for nerds.
Consoles are for normals.

I think that is where it all started.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Waltzing Along posted:

PCs are for nerds.

PC gaming used to be way more expensive and require a lot more work to actually play your games. Now driver updates don’t even take a restart half the time, everything patches on its own, and you aren’t paying 2K+ in 90’s money for a computer you’ll get two-three years out of.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

PCs are for nerds.

more specifically, video games were originally just for nerds and then when home consoles came out they became slightly more normalized but the real crushing blow was the advent of the John Madden NFL series in the late 80's and early 90s which caused jocks to start playing video games and nerds had to shift goalposts and redefine gamer identity.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 10, 2020

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Ugly In The Morning posted:

PC gaming used to be way more expensive and require a lot more work to actually play your games. Now driver updates don’t even take a restart half the time, everything patches on its own, and you aren’t paying 2K+ in 90’s money for a computer you’ll get two-three years out of.

What does this have to do with how the divide started?

Oh wait, you freaked out and had to defend pc gaming because any slight is a slight against you.

So, it's people like you, as well, that started the whole divide.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I bought an Xbox as m first non-Nintendo console of my entire life in order to play red dead redemption 2. I played it for two days and realised I had the worst possible gaming experience available for the game but if I upgraded to the X version of the console I would have the best.

So, comparing consoles to vaporisers. The Nintendo is like those really high quality "entry level" vaporisers that kick rear end and do the job just fine. Then one day you decide you know what I'm gonna go out and splurge on one of those mi-range vaporisers, an upgrade! But it's a worthless piece of junk that you immediately have to replace with a good vaporiser. Wasting you about 1.5x as much money as you planned to spend initially.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Waltzing Along posted:

Oh wait, you freaked out and had to defend pc gaming because any slight is a slight against you.

Because nerds are the ones who would drop thousands of bucks and tons of hours into getting the thing they play games on? I thought that explained how that whole gap started. I didn’t see it as a slight or anything, I was just giving context for how there ended up with that nerd/not nerd gap.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think it's more like Nintendo is like doing DMT because it is completely different from the rest of the experience. Or so I've heard.

While xbox is like smoking cigarettes because it's for complete imbeciles. While Sony is like doing massive bong rips with your friends and pc gaming is like hiding in your bedroom with a volcano and feeling smug because it is healthier that way.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

that is a weird as hell way to read that post

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nolgthorn posted:

So, comparing consoles to vaporisers. The Nintendo is like those really high quality "entry level" vaporisers that kick rear end and do the job just fine. Then one day you decide you know what I'm gonna go out and splurge on one of those mi-range vaporisers, an upgrade! But it's a worthless piece of junk that you immediately have to replace with a good vaporiser. Wasting you about 1.5x as much money as you planned to spend initially.

switch lite is like the classic vapor genie. switch normal is like the brass vapor genie. ps4 pro is like the glass vapor genie.

xxX_bod_Xxx is like dying of induced lung disease from vitamin e in vape pen oil

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Because nerds are the ones who would drop thousands of bucks and tons of hours into getting the thing they play games on? I thought that explained how that whole gap started. I didn’t see it as a slight or anything, I was just giving context for how there ended up with that nerd/not nerd gap.

I thought you were saying how great PCs are now because they are cheaper than before and anyone can use them.

What I was saying is that PCs were thing that nerds used. But consoles were more accessible to everyone so they didn't have the same negative connotation. The funny thing is that before PC gaming everyone played in the arcades. It was just something people did.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
My father's last words were:
"Argh, I see it now, all who play video games are nerds"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Waltzing Along posted:

I thought you were saying how great PCs are now because they are cheaper than before and anyone can use them.

What I was saying is that PCs were thing that nerds used. But consoles were more accessible to everyone so they didn't have the same negative connotation. The funny thing is that before PC gaming everyone played in the arcades. It was just something people did.

No, I was just mentioning they’re cheaper now because I didn’t want to just throw the context of how things used to be with how they are now. Partly because there’s plenty of people on this site who talk about things like you still need to drop 2K plus on a new computer. The barrier to entry is lower but if you’re gaming on a PC you definitely dropped at least 6 hundo on it, which is more than an equivalent console for sure.

Arcades were the poo poo, I miss arcades.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

The funny thing is that before PC gaming everyone played in the arcades. It was just something people did.

even before home consoles there was a big divide between the kinds of games people played on computers and the kind of games people played in arcades. the divide wasn't as strong but it was there, computer games were a lot more in depth, complex and nerdy, compared to the average arcade game and the term "arcady" meaning relatively shallow and action oriented has persisted in gaming discussion ever since

i dont think it's just about the cost of the computer. you cant play a deep long term rpg in an arcade, it just wouldnt really work in that setting

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 10, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Earwicker posted:

even before home consoles there was a big divide between the kinds of games people played on computers and the kind of games people played in arcades. the divide wasn't as strong but it was there, computer games were a lot more in depth, complex and nerdy, compared to the average arcade game and the term "arcady" meaning relatively shallow and action oriented has persisted in gaming discussion ever since

That’s true, they were before my time but in the 80’s when arcades were starting to pop off you had stuff like The Bard’s Tale and the Gold Box Games that were super complicated and you had to make graph paper maps to figure out the dungeon design and all that.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

That’s true, they were before my time but in the 80’s when arcades were starting to pop off you had stuff like The Bard’s Tale and the Gold Box Games that were super complicated and you had to make graph paper maps to figure out the dungeon design and all that.

the divide goes back even before the computerization of these games, when arcades were full of pinball machines and nerds were playing dungeons and dragons at home with pen and paper. the home pen and paper games turned into MUDs and computer RPG's, the arcades kept their pinball and moved on to pacman and asteroids and then fighting games. there was some overlap in the crowds but it was always different kinds of gaming

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Arcades were the poo poo, I miss arcades.

Earwicker posted:

i dont think it's just about the cost of the computer. you cant play a deep long term rpg in an arcade, it just wouldnt really work in that setting

Arcades are still going strong in Japan. They even have long term games that use NFC cards. There are stores devoted to selling these cards, too. For instance, a soccer game where you have your own team of 11 cards/players. You lay them out on a section of the cabinet and it does it's thing and there ya go. Your team in the game.

I've also seen RPG type games in the arcades.

That would never fly here because some rear end in a top hat would just yoink your cards while you were playing and run away and no one would do anything about it. It's still a pretty neat system.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the card system sounds cool but the idea of trying to sit down and play a game like Witcher3 etc in a crowded and noisy arcade environment sounds super lovely

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

some of the arcade machines there, for fighting games anyway, even stream to twitch. I watch a UNIST and a Guilty Gear machines' streams sometimes.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think it is more action-rpgs like diablo.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I wish I could still enjoy the beat em up games I used to play in the arcades, but when I’ve tried to go back and play something like Golden Axe or any of the ones in the Capcom collection they just feel shallow. Ones where you have special moves that aren’t just a power bar thing are better, but for a lot you just have a jump/attack/special button and it feels like you aren’t doing much.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I remember for a short while video games started looking better and better, from a graphic design perspective. Nice clean edges, 3d only when necessary, fonts that were carefully selected. Dungeon Keeper 2 wasn't a bad looking game. I used to think games would always look good. Today games that don't look like someone took a crap on an etch a sketch is far between.

So you're an indie dev, fine. Could you maybe make a simple menu system, instead of one that has a retarded gothic font and giant blurry splotch behind it.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I wish I could still enjoy the beat em up games I used to play in the arcades, but when I’ve tried to go back and play something like Golden Axe or any of the ones in the Capcom collection they just feel shallow. Ones where you have special moves that aren’t just a power bar thing are better, but for a lot you just have a jump/attack/special button and it feels like you aren’t doing much.

try the D&D beat em up arcade games. they are really good, and actually a solid conversion of D&D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gr_E80ZhDQ

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I had fun with The Punisher arcade game recently, it's worth checking out.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

the last arcade games i played were some vintage pinball from the 60's and that poo poo was hard and seemed kind of unfair. the flippers are way further apart than in modern pinball games and sometimes the ball just drops straight down and there's absolutely nothing you can do. also theres just a lot less stuff to hit

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Waltzing Along posted:

Arcades are still going strong in Japan. They even have long term games that use NFC cards. There are stores devoted to selling these cards, too. For instance, a soccer game where you have your own team of 11 cards/players. You lay them out on a section of the cabinet and it does it's thing and there ya go. Your team in the game.

I've also seen RPG type games in the arcades.

Nolgthorn posted:

So you're an indie dev, fine. Could you maybe make a simple menu system, instead of one that has a retarded gothic font and giant blurry splotch behind it.

too late

the game which is hand drawn, except for your menu, which is pixel art on a g*meboy

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 10, 2020

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Lodin posted:

The best Steam forums happen when a developer who's game is Epic exclusive make a preorder page on Steam. This also creates a subforum for the game. What then happens is that people who bought it on EGS and want to discuss it end up over there.
You won't believe how happy Steam users are to welcome those guys. Those subforums are some of the biggest shitshows I've ever seen online.
Oh and it escalates even more if it happens to be a game like Close to the Sun that Epic are currently giving away for free. Instead of just going there and getting the game for nothing the Steam users screech like howler monkeys and fling poo.

lol, hopefully they know you can use both?

Honestly I don't use either as much as possible, I hate having ownership of my games tied into this always-online platform that could basically do whatever they want to you. That alone makes GOG better than either, because they actually give you ownership of the games you buy not fake ownership

Also exclusives are annoying, I definitely would prefer a world where any game is available on any platform. And I'm NOT going to cave and buy a new Playstation I swear.

Already some big "exclusives" have been getting pc ports which is awesome. Still waiting on a few but happy with what's already come out. Two games I've really wanted to play, MLB The Show and Zero Dawn, are supposed to be coming to PC at some point

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Played through the Postal 4 alpha since it's gotten a bunch of updates. It's still just the first day with three missions but the performance was like night and day.
I also noted that random NPCs were now wearing face masks and would randomly cough or sneeze. They also updated the store. Never let it be said that Running With Scissors are classy lads.

And they replaced an old poster with this very topical one of Vince Desi, head of RWS.

And I found another poster that's not quite as relevant.

I laughed at least. :v:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I'm just surprised someone remembers F-Zero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Nintendo flogged it for a bit with N64 and I think another release or two. Captain Falcon is apparently still in newer Smash games.