Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Mr Phillby posted:

Yes I should definitely rearange my entire life and routine to only play Animal Crossing at the recomended hours of the day, thank you for you input.

A game that tells you you can do whatever you want...

WHEN WE LET YOU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

wasn't there an option in the game that lets you choose to have your island be on the opposite side of the world from where you are in real life or something, so if you played at night it would be daytime in game

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Augus posted:

wasn't there an option in the game that lets you choose to have your island be on the opposite side of the world from where you are in real life or something, so if you played at night it would be daytime in game

you can pick between northern/southern hemisphere but that won't get what you're looking for due to copernicus

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Augus posted:

I don't think you understand how the globe works.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fallom posted:

you can pick between northern/southern hemisphere but that won't get what you're looking for due to copernicus

oh right it was just choosing north or south hemisphere, I thought I remembered it letting you just pick a different time zone

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Just turn the Switch upside down and day will become night.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Mega64 posted:

Just turn the Switch upside down and day will become night.

They got rid of that evolution method.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Well the final boss of King Knight was a bit of a disappointing end to an otherwise great campaign.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

bushisms.txt posted:

Snipperclips, towerfall, niddhogg2, lovers in a dangerous spacetime, super chariot, and guacamelee for when they get a bit more comfortable.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Any of those she can do solo, in particular the first two which are by definition solo games. If she knows how to handle a controller neither should be difficult. Obra Dinn is just engrossing as all hell, and Untitled Goose Game is by far one of the most charming games in ages. You can also try Donut County and Katamari Damacy, both play on the simple idea of "small thing, get bigger", with the former being dumbed down but super cute and the latter actually having elements that make it more of a game, but it's also a complete delight.

Hammer Bro. posted:

Though you more recently mentioned she was looking for solo games, Obra Dinn is a fantastic shared experience where you'll likely be pressing the buttons, such as they are, but you'll both be completely engaged.

And I've found that me piloting Witcher 3 and ignoring most of the non-narrative activities (which is what I want to do anyway) is more entertaining than half the TV shows we stumble upon. It's got some downtime, but hoo boy does it have some high highs and long legs.

Thanks for the suggestions! Gonna take a look at these: Obra Dinn, Goose Game, and Katamari seem like strong contenders for various reasons. And coincidentally I've been in the middle of a Witcher playthrough and (I think) close to wrapping that up too!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Burnout Paradise is gonna be fifty fuckin dollars lmao

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Weedle posted:

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating
is it gonna have the crash mode lol

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Weedle posted:

Jesus, what an impressive loving way to shoot yourself in the foot.

I'd have paid 30 for portable Paradise in a heartbeat.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

it does boggle my mind that EA doesn't sell Mass Effect games or old Medal of Honors for $60 a piece.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
How is Super Monkey Ball? I've never played one before.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Mr Phillby posted:

Yes I should definitely rearange my entire life and routine to only play Animal Crossing at the recomended hours of the day, thank you for you input.

I get you. I loved the original game, and it's a great series for what it wants to be and do, but it's not adapted to an adult's lifestyle. Do what you can, and while it's dumb that you may have to change the clock on your system, do it if only to experience the game on its terms for a bit, since there's nothing quite like it.

Dugong posted:

Well the final boss of King Knight was a bit of a disappointing end to an otherwise great campaign.

I'm really close to beating it, Kirby got in the way momentarily. I'll just have to see for myself.

YggiDee posted:

1 and 2 were really good on the GC with 1 being better. Supposedly the version on Switch is really bad.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

YggiDee posted:

The Switch version is a port of the Wii game which is pretty terrible by Super Monkey Ball standards.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Without getting into big spoilers, are there any items or abilities I should prioritize getting early on in BOTW? Being able to swim up waterfalls is pretty neat, for example, but if there's some other thingamajig that makes stuff smoother throughout the game, I'm curious about it.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

The ability you get from the bird divine beast (NW corner of the map) is quite nice for getting to new places and opening up more of the map.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I would say no other abilities comparable to how fundamentally the Zora suit opens up a new dimension. Anything else is just a bonus to some kind of movement you could find a way to do regardless.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Weedle posted:

Still worth it imo

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Anyone who feels "scammed" by goons convincing them to buy Animal Crossings, apparently Amazon sold out of the physical version and some parts of the country doesn't have access to buy video games locally. I sold mine on Ebay for more than I paid for it.

I liked the game, mainlined it for a couple of weeks, but eventually it starts to feel like work to me.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Weedle posted:

fifty bucks for a 30 fps driving game?

yeah, no.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 10, 2020

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Nearing the end of Chapter 5 of 6 chapters of Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore.

Really enjoying it. Some minor complaints but so far it's fantastic and I didn't know I would like it so much.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I played BotW on both Wii U and Switch but never completed it. I think the farthest I got was 3 out of 4 beasts. Maybe I should go back to it.

Is the post-story DLC any good?

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

American McGay posted:

The entire point of the game is the real world clock, and the game itself in no way punishes you if you change your system clock to better fit your schedule. I'm not even sure what you're complaining about honestly.
Yes but it would be nice if I could change the clock without messing up the time and date in every other game on the system and also if people stopped treating me as being unreasonable for wanting that?

Like you just told me to suck it up and find time in my busy schedule to play during the sunlight times after I made it clear I can only play during the middle of the night.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Black Griffon posted:

Without getting into big spoilers, are there any items or abilities I should prioritize getting early on in BOTW?
There's a "find the gold rupee in the correct chest" minigame in Lurelin Village (Faron tower/southeast) that you can scum for easy money if you prefer to do that.

Nearby Faron tower there's a grove with a crapload of durians that you can cook for a full heal and temporary hearts, which let's you concentrate on upgrading stamina.

In general I started the map by exploring south / 6 o'clock and going counterclockwise which worked great.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Butterfly Valley posted:

I would say no other abilities comparable to how fundamentally the Zora suit opens up a new dimension. Anything else is just a bonus to some kind of movement you could find a way to do regardless.

Ok, I've only beaten Vah Ruta and of course I have the Zora suit, but I don't understand how this is true. From what I've heard, the ability from Vah Medoh is WAY more useful than being able to swim up waterfalls. What am I missing?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Sounds like north west is my next destination. Thanks!

katkillad2 posted:

Anyone who feels "scammed" by goons convincing them to buy Animal Crossings, apparently Amazon sold out of the physical version and some parts of the country doesn't have access to buy video games locally. I sold mine on Ebay for more than I paid for it.

I liked the game, mainlined it for a couple of weeks, but eventually it starts to feel like work to me.

Granted, I haven't been following the thread, but; what? Why would anyone feel scammed for buying ACNH?

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

That guy crying about his work schedule is right Animal Crossing is bad. Not because of the clock though, it’s bad because my fiancé discovered it and took over my island and by proxy my Switch.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I just bought Sonic Mania can't wait to wrap up work and play!

Is Rayman Legends worth it? Never played a Rayman game but the videos make it look a little too easy.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I see Spyro is 50% off at the moment. Is the reignited trilogy good? Looks like my kids (9 and 5) might have a blast with it, but does anyone know how it runs and how the game itself holds up after so many years?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Black Griffon posted:

Without getting into big spoilers, are there any items or abilities I should prioritize getting early on in BOTW? Being able to swim up waterfalls is pretty neat, for example, but if there's some other thingamajig that makes stuff smoother throughout the game, I'm curious about it.

cooking a single hearty radish is a full heal + yellow hearts im p sure. game breaking

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Social Animal posted:

I just bought Sonic Mania can't wait to wrap up work and play!

Is Rayman Legends worth it? Never played a Rayman game but the videos make it look a little too easy.

It gets pretty hard as you go through the game! there's also a whole 'nother game worth of content in there because they just jammed levels from Rayman Origins in there. It's very much a good game.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

oddium posted:

cooking a single hearty radish is a full heal + yellow hearts im p sure. game breaking

I've made an industry of big rear end durian and radish meals. 25 extra hearts? sure, absolutely.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Spiteski posted:

I see Spyro is 50% off at the moment. Is the reignited trilogy good? Looks like my kids (9 and 5) might have a blast with it, but does anyone know how it runs and how the game itself holds up after so many years?

It's good, OP.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sonic Mania, Rayman Legends, and DKC Tropical Freeze might be the best three platforming games of the 2010s. (From the big publishers at least.)

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
I was less annoyed about the time of day thing in AC than I was about being forced to sit through dialogue multiple times without being able to skip.

If I want to chill out at the end of my day with a game, I absolutely do not want to sit through dialogue I've already sat through before or that I don't care about. But it's true, I just don't get the game - it feels like work that hasn't been streamlined, like menial labour where your boss absolutely doesn't care about your time.

It is basically an electronic DIY dolls house, which is cool if that's what you want, but it was marketed, or at least (as someone who has never played a game in the series) I felt like it was marketed as a cute desert island life sim in the early trailers. It isn't that and it isn't for me.

Is that my fault? Probably! But there are some goons in this thread who react adversely to criticisms of their video game darlings. Don't be that goon. I'm not a "powergamer" and I suppose neither is that other dude who just wants to relax after work with the game, but the game as designed won't let him play on his terms.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

When your criticism is "i wish this game was something else entirely than what it is and has been for 20 years" yeah people are gonna make fun of you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

So I picked up fitness boxing for the same reason as everybody else, I couldn't find ring fit.

It really does work. I'm on my third week and I'm breathing easier after a 45 minute workout than I was after 15 minutes on day one

I wouldn't really recommend it, though. The motion sensing is way too sensitive and you could honestly get just as good a workout from watching a video.